View Full Version : Drunk Man Overboard!

Keith
03-18-2007, 11:48 AM
MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- A man who jumped from a cruise ship off Florida's coast early Friday was rescued about eight hours later by the Coast Guard, officials said.

Michael Mankamyer, 35, waved his arms at crews when he was found at about 8:45 a.m., Coast Guard Petty Officer Jennifer Johnson said. He was airlifted to a hospital and the Coast Guard reported that he suffered from mild hypothermia but was otherwise in good condition.

The ship reported that Mankamyer had jumped from the balcony in his room and into the water around 12:45 a.m., a Coast Guard statement said.

A witness said Mankamyer was intoxicated, Coast Guard Petty Officer Dana Warr said.

Mankamyer was aboard the Carnival Glory, which operates out of Port Canaveral east of Orlando, according to the cruise company's Web site.
After the cruise ship alerted authorities, it stayed in the area to assist with the search, Warr said.

"The time that they did spend was appreciated," Warr said.

Warr said that ship and another cruise that assisted in the search left the area before Mankamyer was found.

Carnival spokesman Tim Gallagher said no additional details were immediately available.

Karried
03-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I can't believe he survived!

One of the worst things about being on a cruise for me is in the middle of the night.. I'll wake up and go out on the balcony ( I love to sit out there) but it is so dark and there is nothing ... pitch dark and endless ocean. I always start imagining how it must feel to go overboard, and treading water in the dark ocean watching the cruise ship sail away... and knowing no one knows you fell in and that there's creatures and sharks! beneath you!! ahhhggggg - I just freaked myself out!

A few years back I became convinced that my kids would fall overboard so I did a lot of research regarding cruise ship balconies.

Nearly every single incident involved either Alcohol or Suicide. There have no reports of someone just walking along the decks and falling off the ship. The railings are pretty high.

I also learned that when someone goes overboard that chances are they will be sucked under the ship and drowned or worse, propellor. Pretty scary either way... but it actually gave me some comfort because in my imagination, I can see a poor kid treading waters for hours and hours in the dark until he drowns - yuk .. I hate the thought of that.

This guy was so fortunate.. and such a dork.. he jumped off! They need to bill him for all the hours spent on his rescue.

Keith
03-18-2007, 12:04 PM
I can't believe he survived!

One of the worst things about being on a cruise for me is in the middle of the night.. I'll wake up and go out on the balcony ( I love to sit out there) but it is so dark and there is nothing ... pitch dark and endless ocean. I always start imagining how it must feel to go overboard, and treading water in the dark ocean watching the cruise ship sail away... and knowing no one knows you fell in and that there's creatures and sharks! beneath you!! ahhhggggg - I just freaked myself out!

A few years back I became convinced that my kids would fall overboard so I did a lot of research regarding cruise ship balconies.

Nearly every single incident involved either Alcohol or Suicide. There have no reports of someone just walking along the decks and falling off the ship. The railings are pretty high.

I also learned that when someone goes overboard that chances are they will be sucked under the ship and drowned or worse, propellor. Pretty scary either way... but it actually gave me some comfort because in my imagination, I can see a poor kid treading waters for hours and hours in the dark until he drowns - yuk .. I hate the thought of that.

This guy was so fortunate.. and such a dork.. he jumped off! They need to bill him for all the hours spent on his rescue.
Yeah, they didn't say how he survived in the water for eight hours. Treading water for eight hours? I just can't see that. I figured once you are overboard, you are shark bait. That guy was one lucky dude.

PUGalicious
03-18-2007, 12:07 PM
They need to bill him for all the hours spent on his rescue.
:congrats:Absolutely!:congrats: