View Full Version : Oklahoma Humane Society & TNR Program!

sweetdaisy
03-17-2007, 11:16 PM
If anyone missed the Channel 9 coverage...look what's new in OKC.

http://www.newsok. com/video/ 112406/ (http://www.newsok. com/video/ 112406/)

The Oklahoma Humane Society is brand new, and we're here to help bring this city to No-Kill. Still in infancy, we're starting programs such as TNR and humane education until our facility is ready to take in animals.

Please visit Oklahoma Humane Society - OKHumane.org (http://www.okhumane.org) if you're interested in knowing more or helping us develop. This is a HUGE step for OKC, and I'm really excited!

Oklahoma Humane Society
About Our Organization
The Oklahoma Humane Society is a nonprofit animal welfare organization proactively engaging the local community in creating and maintaining a “pet friendly” society by promoting responsible pet ownership, humane education and ending pet overpopulation.

OK Humane is working in collaboration with the Oklahoma City Animal Welfare Division and other animal welfare agencies to ensure that our pledge that all adoptable animals be placed in loving homes will be met.

In order for OK Humane’s objectives to be met we are developing progressive, comprehensive programs to promote responsible pet ownership, spaying/neutering, and targeted youth education to instill the core values of compassion and respect.

OK Humane is funded solely by donations, grants, and bequests. It receives no government funding or tax dollars.

If anyone has questions/comments/etc., please PM me or email the contact on the website.

sweetdaisy
03-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Okay, is there a way to edit my subject line? I was a little over-eager and wasn't typing very well... :(

Keith
03-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Okay, is there a way to edit my subject line? I was a little over-eager and wasn't typing very well... :(
Gotcha covered. It's good to see you back on the forum.:yourock:

Karried
03-18-2007, 08:42 AM
That's great news!! I checked out the site.. it's still under Construction I think as the Donate buttons aren't working yet so we'll have to keep this thread alive so that when they get the kinks worked out of the website we can donate.

I like the Children's Program volunteer opportunities.. teaching compassion towards animals to young children.

Where on May is it located...cross street - anyone know?

mranderson
03-18-2007, 09:48 AM
What is TNR?

Karried
03-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Trap - Neuter - Return.. usually feral cats

sweetdaisy
03-18-2007, 10:04 AM
That's great news!! I checked out the site.. it's still under Construction I think as the Donate buttons aren't working yet so we'll have to keep this thread alive so that when they get the kinks worked out of the website we can donate.

I like the Children's Program volunteer opportunities.. teaching compassion towards animals to young children.

Where on May is it located...cross street - anyone know?

I'll let our "powers that be" know the Donate button isn't working yet. That's a problem! Thanks for letting me know, Karried.

The May Avenue address is a mailing location and the temporary offices are under construction right now. The actual headquarters is in beginning stages (legal stuff, architecture, etc.) but we're hopeful it won't take too terribly long. We've been visiting various SPCA locations throughout the U.S. to get ideas on the best way to design clean, comfortable housing for animals and for potential adopters. This will be an amazing step for OKC.

Right now, we're focusing on programs that can be done without an actual building (such as the TNR program and community education) so we'll have successful programs up and running when it comes time to house animals.

Mr. Anderson, sorry I didn't describe TNR when I first posted. I was excited about the News coverage and wasn't thinking.

TNR stands for "Trap Neuter Return" and is to get the city's feral cat population under control. We go to identified cat colonies, trap the cats, spay/neuter them, and return them to their location so they can live out their lives without repopulating. While it is a long term program (several years), eventually the colonies will die out. It's been very successful in other large cities in the U.S. and has raised community awareness of feral cats and a humane solution to an ever-growing problem.

Hope this helps.

Intrepid
03-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I too saw the story on Ch. 9 a few days ago and think it's a wonderful program!