View Full Version : Midtown

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

dankrutka
11-14-2011, 07:49 PM
After all the Qboda rumors to the old Treasures Past space were laid to rest, there was a building permit issued today for a place called GoGo Sushi at the location.

Only taking 2847 square feet so not the full building.

Looks like it's the same operation as the one by the same name in Moore:

http://www.gogosushinow.com/

A sushi place could be a good fit there. You do have both In the Raw (Lower Bricktown) and Park Harvey Sushi (downtown) nearby though.

BoulderSooner
11-15-2011, 09:15 AM
this will be a great add to my neighborhood.. happy they are moving in

adaniel
11-15-2011, 10:09 AM
A sushi place could be a good fit there. You do have both In the Raw (Lower Bricktown) and Park Harvey Sushi (downtown) nearby though.

Don't forget Pachinko Parlor in Automobile Alley.

But I think there is plenty of room for one more sushi place. Maybe its just me but I feel that Gogo is pretty casual compared to the other three so it can carve its own niche.

Everyone in my office is pretty happy about it.

OKC1987
11-18-2011, 08:08 PM
They have built the stairs going up to the rooftop on the back west side of the Packard Building, they are not finished but the stairs are in place. There have also been people doing measurements and survey work behind Hadden Hall and in the alley area, which will ultimately become the "Plaza". I talked to a couple of the surveyors and they said that the Guardian is expected to be done in January 2013. Last I heard a majority of the building was supposed to be "loft style" rental units. He also mentioned that they hope to have a lot of the plaza/parking lot work done by Spring/Summer 2012. Hadden Hall is already a great place to live, but I am so excited for all of these improvements!

OKC1987
11-18-2011, 08:10 PM
http://www.midtownr.com/pdf/PackardOfficeRetail2.pdf

According to their website all of the second floor is leased (which was announced previously) but so far it looks like only one portion of the first floor has been leased, and it appears that it will be office space

I highly recommend driving by the Packard Building at night. They have cool "colored" lighting that changes colors in the finished indoor stairwell leading up to the second floor. You can see it from 10th St.

Pete
11-18-2011, 09:18 PM
It has to be said that after the post-Banta lull, Mickey Clagg & Bob Howard have really delivered.

After Plaza Court everything else pretty much lagged for quite some time but over the last couple of years they have completed and started scores of projects and all have been first-class... I'd list them all but it would take too much time!

When the Edge (old Mercy site) gets cranking I think we are finally going to see critical mass in Midtown.

Rover
11-21-2011, 04:09 PM
It is exciting to see good progress finally.

jdcf
11-23-2011, 08:37 AM
430 NW 12th will be renovated for office space?

Just the facts
12-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Love the alley. Wish they had room for on-street parking.

Pete
12-12-2011, 01:20 PM
With Hadden Hall full, Packard leasing up and the Guardian sure to fill up quickly too, this will be a neat little enclave.

More props to Mickey Clagg and Bob Howard... They are not only cranking out the developments and doing them well, but also doing a great job of preserving the historic integrity of their buildings while at the same time adding some great modern flair. Very impressed with everything they've done.

Architect2010
12-13-2011, 04:03 AM
The second floor is all lofts too. 21-23 from what I counted. They're fitting about 40 residential units in that building! Impressive I think.

BoulderSooner
12-13-2011, 07:21 AM
also the cline just across the st .. should be done in the spring ..

BoulderSooner
12-13-2011, 07:22 AM
also Foodies Express .. is now open at 11th and hudson .. pretty good Asian fare as well as Gyros .. and great potstickers ..

Skyline
12-15-2011, 09:53 AM
I am glad that the city has found the time to actually approve any of these new developments.

Especially after letting the $38 million dollar development from the Bomasada Group slip through the cracks. I still don't understand the demise of that project and I am not buying the excuses either.

I asked this question before.... Are there any large downtown housing developments being proposed or in progress from someone other than local developers?

Just the facts
12-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Finally, someone digging a little deeper and going the extra mile to create true urban space.

Architect2010
12-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Oh. Those parking lots are SO URBAN. If this was in Bricktown, you'd be having a cow and saying the exact opposite. If this is what you meant by "digging deeper" then what a shallow hole of expectation you have. Yet you can call out an educational facility for the use of the playground facing the street.

*rolls eyes

On edit: I do like this project, but ain't nothing new about it. Oh and just to be sure we maintain an equal perception of what urban is for Bricktown, Midtown, Automobile Alley, Deep Deuce, the Arts District, etc., I'll be posting a google satellite image of the surface parking on that block in comparison to actual structures. And seeing that 3 of the parking lots on that block have been/will be reconstructed, and one belongs to a church, we can be rest-assured they won't be going away for years at least. But I guess this isn't too bad if you use "Oklahoma City as a measuring stick". Oh the hypocrisy.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6521928495_2f48109a78_b.jpg

Bricktown. Version 2.0?

dankrutka
12-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Any news pics of the progress on 1212?

Pete
12-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Architect, the Baptist church owns the northern 2/3rds of the parking along Harvey and a separate owner holds the property on the corner of 11th & Broadway.

Give the developers of this project the credit they deserve -- they can't control what their neighbors are doing (or not doing).

It's great we all aspire to more density and more urban districts and there is plenty of room for improvement, but when a project like this is not only announced but going forward, we should all see that as a positive instead of an invitation to gripe about what is yet to be done.

Architect2010
12-16-2011, 12:38 PM
What are you talking about? I don't think you even bothered to read my post. I said, "I like this project", "...Oh and just to be sure we maintain an equal perception of what urban is for Bricktown, Midtown, Automobile Alley, Deep Deuce, the Arts District, etc., I'll be posting a google satellite image of the surface parking on that block in comparison to actual structures."

The picture was only there to illustrate the amount of surface parking present ON THAT BLOCK IN COMPARISON TO STRUCTURES. I think I even delineated what parking lots Midtown Renaissance owns by the thick black line and I certainly didn't blame them for their neighbor's parking lots. Wow. What does a property on 11th and Broadway, which isn't even present in my image, have to do with my post.

Oh and in case you don't understand. I colored all the buildings on that block red, not just Midtown Renaissance's. I labeled their structures and parking lots.

It's really funny how people only focus on what they perceive to be negative, when really I was just pointing out the conflicting views of JTF from the Elementary School thread.

Pete
12-16-2011, 12:53 PM
I meant the building at 11th & Robinson.

I was using your post to make a broader observation about the constant negative tone and criticism of development... Here we have a really cool, first-class cluster of projects being done the right way and it was used as a platform to take the the glass half-empty perspective.

mcca7596
12-16-2011, 12:56 PM
What's being missed is that Architect's post was primarily a jab at JTF for ironically liking this project, which has ample surface parking, while always being negative of anything that isn't pushed out to the street in other areas of downtown.

Architect2010
12-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Deleted.

Thankyou mcca, I felt as if I was being taken very wrongly here. I'm glad someone realized what I was trying to do.

Pete
12-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Fair enough, I guess I missed the sarcasm.

Let's please get back to discussing Midtown development.

Dustin
12-16-2011, 01:19 PM
This is why there is a "reply with quote" button.

wschnitt
12-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Looking at the wiring on the outside of the building, it looks like they have the power in place for the CLINE HOTEL neon sign on the NW corner. That is really cool.

Spartan
12-19-2011, 08:54 PM
I was under the impression that the expansion of the Cline was going to be a little bit more significant?

Skyline
12-19-2011, 09:36 PM
I was under the impression that the expansion of the Cline was going to be a little bit more significant?

I was too, for some reason I thought there was going to be an additional 3 story building connected. It turns out to be only some type of enclosed balcony build-outs, that are about 10'x10'.

wschnitt
12-20-2011, 07:47 AM
That was the size of the historical addition. In order to maintain it's historical status, that was all they could add.

dankrutka
12-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Looks great! Any updates on 1212 or other renovations?

BoulderSooner
12-20-2011, 11:08 AM
1212 and the Cline are coming along and should be done before the summer

Rover
12-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Nicely done.

Questor
12-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Wow that's great looking. Happy to see developments/restorations like this.

soonerguru
12-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Those are killer apartments!

Spartan
12-21-2011, 12:31 AM
That was the size of the historical addition. In order to maintain it's historical status, that was all they could add.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification!

Just the facts
12-22-2011, 06:53 AM

So once again "historical" laws and regulations stand in the way of traditional neighborhood development and creating denser neighborhoods. The best way to preserve a building is to make it economically viable to use it. In many instances "historical laws" prevent that from happening.

BoulderSooner
12-22-2011, 07:00 AM
So once again "historical" laws and regulations stand in the way of traditional neighborhood development and creating denser neighborhoods. The best way to preserve a building is to make it economically viable to use it. In many instances "historical laws" prevent that from happening.

not in this case .. the historic tax credits .. are what make this project viable

wschnitt
12-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Regulation kept the basement on the Cline from being used because of the ADA Act of the 1990s. If there are 4 stories, which the basement would have been the 4th, there needs to be an elevator.

*Regulation kept the basement from being used economically.

Just the facts
12-22-2011, 09:14 AM
not in this case .. the historic tax credits .. are what make this project viable

You do realise the tax credits are necessary to compensate for the development destroying regulations right? I'm not opposed to historic preservation of the facade but as far as I am concerned they should be able to add floors and expansion all they want.

BDP
12-22-2011, 11:24 AM
I totally agree that the historical guidelines are often misguided and I would make a bigger stink about it if I wasn't positive that, without them, more would be destroyed in OKC than gained. At the same time, they really do need to consider economics more. Sometimes the guidelines create such a barrier to renovation that a building gets to the point where people are able to successfully argue for destruction of the property because they say the economics on a renovation won't work for "generations". HP needs to consider the impact of a project and weigh issuing variances against the possible total loss of a property. The reality is that sometimes an area can get to a point where renovation is actually more economically prudent than demolition because the historic nature of a property is what actually gives it its economic value. At that point a developer doesn't want to destroy but preserve it so that it can be marketed as historic and benefit from the historic aspects of the neighborhood. But that can't happen if properties flounjder to the point where they are perceived to be worth more destroyed than saved.

This can be seen in our most established neighborhoods like Crown Heights, Mesta and Heritage Hills. Ignoring historical aspects of your property in those area can negatively affect your appreciation and sell-ability of your property in the future. HP made that happen, but HP also needs to realize it has to be fluid, especially when efficiency becomes an issue.

Just the facts
12-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Very well said BDP.

Rover
12-22-2011, 11:38 AM
It has been stated by experts on this site over and over that the cost to preserve and rennovate a historic building is less than to tear it down and build a new one. If that is the case, why should we citizens subsidize the private development venture?

metro
12-22-2011, 01:48 PM
It has been stated by experts on this site over and over that the cost to preserve and rennovate a historic building is less than to tear it down and build a new one. If that is the case, why should we citizens subsidize the private development venture?

No, the exact opposite is true.

Pete
12-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Guys, we can't keep dragging these feuds and thinly-veiled snipes into every thread.

I'm going to start deleting / moving them because this is getting old.

If you want to discuss general urban development there is a thread for that.

Urbanized
12-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Just to be clear: historic preservation is a REQUIREMENT on VERY FEW buildings in downtown/inner OKC, and it was not a requirement in the case of Hadden Hall. Only in a very few historic preservation neighborhoods like Heritage Hills or Crown Heights are there local ordinances requiring adherence to HP standards. This building didn't have HP guidelines imposed on it UNTIL THE DEVELOPER APPLIED FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION TAX CREDITS. When someone applies for historic tax credits, it only makes sense that they should be required to do actual historic preservation. Otherwise, I want some of those tax credits for my newfangled ranch house in suburbia (I don't really HAVE a newfangled ranch house in suburbia, but that's beside the point).

When using tax credits, a developer must comply in certain areas with the Secretary of the Interior's standards for historic preservation. These are not local laws or codes.

In OKC, you can tear down or heavily modify most old buildings without a second thought; even buildings that are actually on the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register only (mostly) keeps THOSE buildings from being demolished in the case of federally-funded projects. There is also a PR burden to bear when you demolish a National Register building. That is why SandRidge chose to retain the Braniff but tear down its next-door neighbor; one was on the register and one was not though they were strikingly similar. But mark it down, they could have torn down the Braniff if they had pressed hard enough.

There is a tremendous amount of misunderstanding regarding HP, its cost, its application and its requirements (both local and state/federal). That is even the case here on this board, where most of the posters are in general more informed on development matters than the average guy walking down the street.

Just the facts
12-22-2011, 08:12 PM
This building didn't have HP guidelines imposed on it UNTIL THE DEVELOPER APPLIED FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION TAX CREDITS. When someone applies for historic tax credits, it only makes sense that they should be required to do actual historic preservation.

When using tax credits, a developer must comply in certain areas with the Secretary of the Interior's standards for historic preservation. These are not local laws or codes.

If that is the case with this building then you make an excellent point and I owe BoulderSooner an apology. If you want the money you have to accept the guidelines that go along with it.

BTW - I love what they did with the place.

Steve
12-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Guys, we can't keep dragging these feuds and thinly-veiled snipes into every thread.

I'm going to start deleting / moving them because this is getting old.

If you want to discuss general urban development there is a thread for that.

Remind me to send you a Christmas card.
For what it's worth, I'm very excited about the Guardian/Park Place alley project. It may be another game changer when it comes to urban design in downtown OKC

soonerguru
12-22-2011, 10:23 PM

I thought the opposite was the case. Which experts have said this and when?

bluedogok
12-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Renovation is almost always more expensive than building new, especially when you are doing anything that approaches "historical". I can't recall anyone saying that (major) renovation is cheaper than building new.

Doug Loudenback
12-23-2011, 05:35 AM
Those photos are great, Pete. Noticing the inside stairs made me wonder ... is an elevator also present?

ljbab728
12-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Those photos are great, Pete. Noticing the inside stairs made me wonder ... is an elevator also present?

This floorplan doesn't indicate an elevator.

http://midtownr.com/pdf/HaddenHall-Floorplan.pdf

Frustratedoptimist
12-24-2011, 11:00 AM
This building transformation is incredible. What a wonderful addition to MidTown. We're waiting for a 3 bedroom condo/apt with access to a roof-top deck (or terrace), in MidTown, SOSA or Automobile Alley. My family and I, as well as another couple, would gladly buy or rent for $1500-$2100/mo. We've looked at The Hill, Block 42 and Maywood, and they're beautiful, but the floor plans (bedrooms) are awkward and the prices are too high for us. Would love to work with a builder and design units for an urban-minded family of four. Has anyone heard of anything like this planned or underway?

city
12-25-2011, 01:03 PM
This building transformation is incredible. What a wonderful addition to MidTown. We're waiting for a 3 bedroom condo/apt with access to a roof-top deck (or terrace), in MidTown, SOSA or Automobile Alley. My family and I, as well as another couple, would gladly buy or rent for $1500-$2100/mo. We've looked at The Hill, Block 42 and Maywood, and they're beautiful, but the floor plans (bedrooms) are awkward and the prices are too high for us. Would love to work with a builder and design units for an urban-minded family of four. Has anyone heard of anything like this planned or underway?
The only 3 bedrooms for rent are at The Legacy and there are no projects being developed that are considering 3 bedrooms., It is not economic. The developers would build all studios and one bedrooms if they could get away with it.
I'm not 100% for certain if this is the case for LEVEL but I know the other projects rumored and on the boards aren't going to have 3 bedrooms.
I think you should look at building in SOSA.

Frustratedoptimist
12-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks, city. We've checked into SOSA and will again if we see or hear about any condos or large apartments planned.

According to the consulting firm who completed the downtown housing study, one of the key indicators of a downtown that offers a safe and complete quality of life, is the presence of strollers. I'm paraphrasing of course and I apologize for not having the firm's name with me, but I think its part of the city's housing strategy to work with developers to encourage more diverse forms of housing and amenities. This seemed to be understood, even by the developers present. Three bed units would attract a much larger market, more diversity and potentially higher incomes, especially now that the school is planned.

It was obvious that the implementation of the city's downtown housing strategy depends a great deal on the economy and of course political will. Good thing we're patient.

Urbanized
12-26-2011, 11:30 AM
If that is the case with this building then you make an excellent point and I owe BoulderSooner an apology. If you want the money you have to accept the guidelines that go along with it.

BTW - I love what they did with the place.
It's the same reason that (for instance) the floor of the Skirvin is not carpeted or new marble - or even polished - and that the wall by the elevator bank there wasn't painted when the hotel was renovated. Part of the funding mechanism for the Skirvin Hilton renovation was the use of historic tax credits. Due to the fact that they were used, the developer had to retain certain elements of the building's past so as not to compromise its historic nature.

That included keeping W.B. Skirvin's original flooring (when the building was constructed he had a rugged tile installed so that his hotel - while luxurious - remained inviting to cowboys and oilmen with muddy boots). That same much-worn tile is what you see today in the the Skirvin. The wall by the elevators has some ancient, faded stenciling on it. If you look closely at it you might think they forgot to paint a wall in the renovation. Instead, the old design was carefully preserved.

Could the Skirvin's developers have tiled the floor with Mexican limestone, and painted the wall purple? Absolutely. They just would have had to do the place without historic preservation tax credits.

The same is true for Hadden Hall; they could have done pretty much anything they wanted to with the building (within the boundaries of basic downtown design guidelines). But as soon as they ask the public to become a financial partner in the process, they have to allow the public to have more of a say in how the project is done. That's plenty fair, as far as I'm concerned.

wschnitt
12-27-2011, 09:24 AM
The new restaurant where Treasures Past was is getting an outside seating deck along Walker. Sweet.

Pete
12-27-2011, 09:33 AM
That's GoGo Sushi... Wonder when they'll be open?

wschnitt
12-27-2011, 10:17 AM
That's GoGo Sushi... Wonder when they'll be open?

I wonder the same. It does not seem far off since they are working hard on it.

I also wonder business-wise why you would not put a "coming soon" sign and get the excitement going.

Spartan
12-27-2011, 05:15 PM
It's the same reason that (for instance) the floor of the Skirvin is not carpeted or new marble - or even polished - and that the wall by the elevator bank there wasn't painted when the hotel was renovated. Part of the funding mechanism for the Skirvin Hilton renovation was the use of historic tax credits. Due to the fact that they were used, the developer had to retain certain elements of the building's past so as not to compromise its historic nature.

That included keeping W.B. Skirvin's original flooring (when the building was constructed he had a rugged tile installed so that his hotel - while luxurious - remained inviting to cowboys and oilmen with muddy boots). That same much-worn tile is what you see today in the the Skirvin. The wall by the elevators has some ancient, faded stenciling on it. If you look closely at it you might think they forgot to paint a wall in the renovation. Instead, the old design was carefully preserved.

Could the Skirvin's developers have tiled the floor with Mexican limestone, and painted the wall purple? Absolutely. They just would have had to do the place without historic preservation tax credits.

The same is true for Hadden Hall; they could have done pretty much anything they wanted to with the building (within the boundaries of basic downtown design guidelines). But as soon as they ask the public to become a financial partner in the process, they have to allow the public to have more of a say in how the project is done. That's plenty fair, as far as I'm concerned.

So Hadden Hall's floorplates mirror the original setup?

wschnitt
12-27-2011, 09:49 PM
So Hadden Hall's floorplates mirror the original setup?

Partially. The hallways are where they were originally. The amount of doors in the hallway is the same. However, half of the doors do not open. The front of the building was a "sleeping" porch at one time and had no dividers. Now it is divided in 3, with the entrance in the middle and either side belonging to apartments. This once continuous space is shown by the glass blocks, signifying that the space was all one.

In short, the floor plan in the public areas pay tribute to history.

Spartan
12-28-2011, 11:59 AM
In short, the floor plan in the public areas pay tribute to history.

So that's the key. Gotcha. I was wondering, and I'm only partially familiar with the historic preservation codes, but are they use-specific as well?