View Full Version : Midtown

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Spartan
04-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Unfortunately, yes it is the only thing we can currently offer up. Otherwise, convention goers have to drive to the burbs to do any shopping. Yes, there are a few widely scattered small shops, but how would a conventioner know where to go? There is no shopping district anywhere close. Until we get a developer to pony up real money to invest in such, Bass Pro is the only destination shopping in the area. And, by the way, hunting and fishing appeals to many. One of my best friends is on his way to Argentina for Dove hunting. He's a very successful Doctor with advanced degrees and is very socially placed. In OKC we have labeled hunting and fishing exclusively with redneck. Nothing wrong with Bass Pro but the building and it ruffled some political feathers. But it is here and we need to use it to our advantage instead of ignoring or demonizing it.

Aside from suggesting we embrace Bricktown Bass Pro, I agree with you. It is the only retail "worth visiting" (if that's your thang) in the downtown area. And that's pretty sad...

ljbab728
04-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Aside from suggesting we embrace Bricktown Bass Pro, I agree with you. It is the only retail "worth visiting" (if that's your thang) in the downtown area. And that's pretty sad...

Does that mean you are discounting this, Spartan?

http://reddirtemporium.com/

I haven't heard much about this location recently but I suspect that the merchants there would not be happy to hear the Bass Pro is the only retail worth visiting downtown.

Spartan
04-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Ljbab, you know what I meant. Bass Pro is 100,000's of sf of retail. It's a major retailer. The Red Dirt Marketplace (the Emporium is just one shop) is probably a 5,000 sf space. So in looking at truly destination retail, yeah I am discounting that.

This isn't a jab at local retailer. I just want to see retail of significance. Where will that happen? Who knows. Right now Midtown is as good as anywhere else.. because it certainly doesn't seem like anything new will happen in Bricktown for a long time.

ZYX2
04-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Red Dirt Emporium is interesting, and it gives you something to do for a little while, so I can see conventioneers strolling through it. But it is certainly not enought to keep you busy for more than half an hour. I would really like to see several more little stores open up downtown. It doesn't have to be anything shining in glory, just something to walk through and that you might buy a souveneir or something interesting there.

Eventually though, I would love to see some hard core retail, that you actually go there cause you want or need something, not because you're bored. I think pretty much the only way to really get any locally owned shops like this is to start off with a chain or two though...

city
04-15-2011, 10:10 PM
I hope the architect does a better job next time with the exterior. Those light fixtures on the exterior are SO BAD completely wrong period for that building and way too many and no up lighting. You would think he would know better.

dankrutka
04-16-2011, 07:41 AM
I hope the architect does a better job next time with the exterior. Those light fixtures on the exterior are SO BAD completely wrong period for that building and way too many and no up lighting. You would think he would know better.

I don't know much about this kind of thing, but I think the lights on Hedden look great. Just my opinion.

metro
04-18-2011, 08:14 AM
The light fixtures for the parking lot look hideous, not sure about the building

dankrutka
04-19-2011, 07:24 PM
The light fixtures for the parking lot look hideous, not sure about the building

Yes. The parking lot lights are bad...

city
04-20-2011, 03:19 PM
I like the lights on the building but they belong on an art deco style or minimalist design. Those lights are the wrong lights for THAT style building. But the pictures I have seen of the interior are Very good. I just wish they got the exterior lights right.
The new Beasley did a decent job inside but again they put the wrong period exterior doors on that building (between classen and shartel on 13th)

ljbab728
05-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Midtown Louie's opens tomrrow. It looks very nice inside. I think it will do well and be a nice addition to Plaza Court area...

I mentioned this in the food threads also. I tried it tonight for the first time and went from 4:30 to 7 for the happy hour. The food is normal for Louie's. Some will like it and some will complain. The atmosphere was great and didn't feel like a chain place at all. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I think it will be very successful here.

Spartan
05-13-2011, 03:20 AM
Oh how I miss Hideaway Pizza...

BBatesokc
05-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Anyone else here participate in today's first annual McNellie's Pub Run (benefitting officer Chad Perry) in Midtown?

Myself and several friends were there. Great event, great weather and all in a great part of town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJssUPet7Wo&feature=channel_video_title

onthestrip
05-15-2011, 09:53 AM
I've seen some pics from some friends that went to Dust Bowl before it opened, looks great. It also appears it makes up for in the areas that redpin lacks, coolness. But that's what Tulsa does, totally outdo okc in the nightlife arena.

kevinpate
05-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Bbates, do you ever take pictures of women indoors? Just kidding.
I'm no runner, but it sure looks like y'all had a fun time, and for a good cause.

progressiveboy
05-15-2011, 11:45 AM
I've seen some pics from some friends that went to Dust Bowl before it opened, looks great. It also appears it makes up for in the areas that redpin lacks, coolness. But that's what Tulsa does, totally outdo okc in the nightlife arena. Typical Tulsa troll..............drinking to much of the Tulsa koolaid, LOL.

dankrutka
05-15-2011, 12:07 PM
I live in OKC and love it's development, but downtown Tulsa is so much cooler than OKC. It's not even close. THere is a way better entertainment/bar scene. I hope OKC can catch up...

Architect2010
05-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Completely lacking. I hate OKC, Tulsa is so much better. It has trees.

mcca7596
05-15-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like many trees. OKC is just fine, if not too woodsy, for me lol

Back to Midtown, I hope we know who OCURA will choose for the Mercy site after their special meeting tomorrow.

Rover
05-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Lived and worked in both places. Tulsa is now playing catch up.

onthestrip
05-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Typical Tulsa troll..............drinking to much of the Tulsa koolaid, LOL.

No troll, you'd know that if you've read most of my posts. Lived in okc area all my life but Tulsa hands down has a better nightlife. Not saying they have better restaurants but bar scene and nightlife is way better.

okcpulse
05-15-2011, 07:37 PM
List every nightlife establishment in both OKC and Tulsa and what makes each establishment worth the visit. Then I will subscribe to your assessment that Tulsa has hands-down the better nightlife.

You guys say Tulsa has better nightlife than OKC but you never go into specifics.

okcpulse
05-15-2011, 07:38 PM
No troll, you'd know that if you've read most of my posts. Lived in okc area all my life but Tulsa hands down has a better nightlife. Not saying they have better restaurants but bar scene and nightlife is way better.

Give details. Details.

redrunner
05-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Anyone else here participate in today's first annual McNellie's Pub Run (benefitting officer Chad Perry) in Midtown?

Myself and several friends were there. Great event, great weather and all in a great part of town.

Yeah, a group of friends and I ran the pub run. Had a fun time. Great scenic run. The post run social was great outside of McNellie's.

BG918
05-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Are there any vacant spaces in the Plaza Court? Trying to imagine where Nelson's OKC version of Dust Bowl would go in that area.

mcca7596
05-15-2011, 09:42 PM
If it has retail and the spaces are deep enough, it would be cool to have it in the new apartments on the old Mercy site.

Perhaps an older building would work better though for the intended atmosphere.

dankrutka
05-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Give details. Details.

A vibrant bar scene really can only exist when districts exist with several bars. Part of the fun of going out is bouncing around a few different places. Maybe it's generational, but most people in their late 20s/early 30s feel that way. Tulsa has several districts with great bar scenes. They are great because they have variety and walkability. Tulsa has the Blue Dome District with great places like Fassler Hall (German beer garden), the Dust Bowl (retro bowling alley), The Max (1980s theme with awesome games), the original McNellie's, Arnie's, and about 6 other bars. Those are all within a few blocks. The quality of places to go have a drink in the Blue Dome District far surpasses anything OKC has to offer. I could give similar descriptions for Brookside, Cherry Street, and the Brady Disitrict. OKC's best offerings are the 4 bars (only 4 and 2 are separated by Northwest Expressway!!!) off Classen (Edna's, HiLo, Drunken Fry, and Speak Easy). OKC's only other "vibrant" bar area is on Western and it mainly consists of just 4 bars. Tulsa's 4 districts blow away OKC's 2 districts. I could also count Bricktown, but Bricktown is for tourists. Most young people (after they are 21) don't go out there. Bricktown has a generic feel and there aren't bars with much character. Just some clubs and typical bars. Many of OKCs bars are very spread out, which is a huge minus for a lot of people. When you are out drinking you shouldn't have to drive (or get a cab) to go somewhere else. In Tulsa you don't have to do that. There are your details. I love OKC, but Tulsa has a way better bar scene. And it's not even close.

wsucougz
05-15-2011, 09:55 PM
If it has retail and the spaces are deep enough, it would be cool to have it in the new apartments on the old Mercy site.

Perhaps an older building would work better though for the intended atmosphere.

I would imagine the old theater right by the Sieber.

okcpulse
05-15-2011, 10:04 PM
A vibrant bar scene really can only exist when districts exist with several bars. Part of the fun of going out is bouncing around a few different places. Maybe it's generational, but most people in their late 20s/early 30s feel that way. Tulsa has several districts with great bar scenes. They are great because they have variety and walkability. Tulsa has the Blue Dome District with great places like Fassler Hall (German beer garden), the Dust Bowl (retro bowling alley), The Max (1980s theme with awesome games), the original McNellie's, Arnie's, and about 6 other bars. Those are all within a few blocks. The quality of places to go have a drink in the Blue Dome District far surpasses anything OKC has to offer. I could give similar descriptions for Brookside, Cherry Street, and the Brady Disitrict. OKC's best offerings are the 4 bars (only 4 and 2 are separated by Northwest Expressway!!!) off Classen (Edna's, HiLo, Drunken Fry, and Speak Easy). OKC's only other "vibrant" bar area is on Western and it mainly consists of just 4 bars. Tulsa's 4 districts blow away OKC's 2 districts. I could also count Bricktown, but Bricktown is for tourists. Most young people (after they are 21) don't go out there. Bricktown has a generic feel and there aren't bars with much character. Just some clubs and typical bars. Many of OKCs bars are very spread out, which is a huge minus for a lot of people. When you are out drinking you shouldn't have to drive (or get a cab) to go somewhere else. In Tulsa you don't have to do that. There are your details. I love OKC, but Tulsa has a way better bar scene. And it's not even close.

That is what I was asking for. Now I can subscribe.

But as a civic enthusiast for OKC, I have seen Oklahoma City's nightlife come full circle just in the last 15 years. Tulsa has the edge on nightlife, but even you can't discount the direction in which Oklahoma City is heading. I am not asking for OKC to better than Tulsa or vice versa, I am asking for both cities to compete so that, collectively, Oklahoma as a whole can stand out in terms of nightlife. That way, visitors from the coasts can be blown away.

You think OKC has improved over 1993 or even 2003. The next ten years will put the last 20 years to shame. Midtown and Auto Alley are catalysts. Bricktown is well established but is being plagued by squatters.

mcca7596
05-15-2011, 10:10 PM
You think OKC has improved over 1993 or even 2003. The next ten years will put the last 20 years to shame. Midtown and Auto Alley are catalysts. Bricktown is well established but is being plagued by squatters.
:congrats:

BG918
05-16-2011, 09:10 AM
I think Midtown OKC has the potential to be the biggest nightlife area in OKC. It could be Tulsa's Brookside, Cherry Street and Blue Dome all rolled into one. I talked to Elliot Nelson once at McNellies in Tulsa. He was sitting at the bar and I introduced myself. I asked him what his next plans were, and at the time it was a German beer garden (which became Fassler Hall) and a retro bowling alley (Dust Bowl). He was also in the process of opening a McNellies location in Norman, and said the OKC McNellies has been a huge success. He said he was interested in opening up new venues in both cities but doesn't want to get stretched too thin...

David Pollard
05-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Going out on a limb here, but the REAL way to rejuvenate the nightlife of a neighborhood is to put a 'good' gay bar in. By 'good' I mean one that is big, open to all LGBT and non-LGBT people, has a great place to dance with a great view of downtown. This is an absolute magnet for new developments as once the LGBT crowd moves in real estate prices will skyrocket. Of-course it will take real guts in OKC to do this, but a lively gay district nearer downtown, even in addition to the one on 39th, would be a HUGE boon to the city. We've got (or are getting) big buildings and (perhaps) a nice new convention center, but THIS step would be the true sign of a maturing urban atmosphere. Can we .... DARE WE do this?

Have a look at this example in Montreal: The Sky Complex (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74376805@N00/2742784900)

BBatesokc
05-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Going out on a limb here, but the REAL way to rejuvenate the nightlife of a neighborhood is to put a 'good' gay bar in. By 'good' I mean one that is big, open to all LGBT and non-LGBT people, has a great place to dance with a great view of downtown. This is an absolute magnet for new developments as once the LGBT crowd moves in real estate prices will skyrocket. Of-course it will take real guts in OKC to do this, but a lively gay district nearer downtown, even in addition to the one on 39th, would be a HUGE boon to the city. We've got (or are getting) big buildings and (perhaps) a nice new convention center, but THIS step would be the true sign of a maturing urban atmosphere. Can we .... DARE WE do this?

Have a look at this example in Montreal: The Sky Complex (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74376805@N00/2742784900)

Yeah, its done wonders for the NW 39th and Penn area. (please note a sarcastic voice)

David Pollard
05-16-2011, 12:51 PM
And what would those wonders be? Is this a bit too uncomfortable to consider? OKC's gay neighborhood has been ring-fenced by conservative attitudes that have bullied it into being the ghetto it is. I am suggesting that we free our minds here and look at the potential it has created in other cities, and at least contemplate that it COULD work here too. That's not too hard is it? Yes, it could do wonders for Midtown; no we are not Chelsea in NYC, but we're also not (correct me if I am wrong) Kabul.

BBatesokc
05-16-2011, 01:17 PM
And what would those wonders be? Is this a bit too uncomfortable to consider? OKC's gay neighborhood has been ring-fenced by conservative attitudes that have bullied it into being the ghetto it is. I am suggesting that we free our minds here and look at the potential it has created in other cities, and at least contemplate that it COULD work here too. That's not too hard is it? Yes, it could do wonders for Midtown; no we are not Chelsea in NYC, but we're also not (correct me if I am wrong) Kabul.

By 'wonders' I mean the area is a virtual ghetto immediately surrounding the "Southwest's Largest Gay Resort." And, I'd love to read your list of awesome 'new developments' that area has attracted.

And before you go putting some homophobe label on me..... I used to volunteer as the state's youngest certified HIV/AIDS counselor, tester and educator at ASP (AIDS Support Program) across the street from the Habana in the 80's and 90's. We did many charity events at Angles. I even took my now wife to Angle's when we were dating (1998ish) because we really liked the music and bizarre atmosphere. Not to mention when I was teaching bartending at night (2004ish) I'd take my class to the Copa to watch the lip-sync contest featuring 'Patti-Melt' and 'Ginger Lamar' and celebrate their completion of the class.

So, I'm not speaking from a perspective of being 'uncomfortable.' I'm simply laughing at the idea that.... "All Midtown really needs to be successful is a really big gay bar." (helps if you say it in your best Liza Minnelli voice while doing 'jazz hands')

Rover
05-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Pushing one group out front does not make diversity. True diversity comes when no one gives a thought as to whether there are men, women, Asians, gays, republicans, anglos, hispanics, democrats, elderly, etc. etc. at the next table. We don't need a gay OR a straight bar to prove how "cool" we are. And there is no evidence promoting one interest is an economic engine.

dankrutka
05-16-2011, 07:39 PM
The districts in Tulsa that OKC can learn the most from are the Blue Dome and Brady Districts because those have both really started to prosper recently. Brookside and Cherry Street have always had solid development, but they've both improved recently. To be honest, OKC really just needs Elliot Nelson. He is the reason downtown Tulsa has such a vibrant night life. He really is a genious...

Spartan
05-17-2011, 05:23 AM
Yeah, its done wonders for the NW 39th and Penn area. (please note a sarcastic voice)

Talk about a "gay ghetto."

BG918
05-17-2011, 07:42 AM
The districts in Tulsa that OKC can learn the most from are the Blue Dome and Brady Districts because those have both really started to prosper recently. Brookside and Cherry Street have always had solid development, but they've both improved recently. To be honest, OKC really just needs Elliot Nelson. He is the reason downtown Tulsa has such a vibrant night life. He really is a genious...

Blake Ewing as well, the man behind Joe Momma's Pizza, The Max, Boomtown T's and Back Alley Blues BBQ...all in Blue Dome.

geterdone
05-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Don't bash all conservatives, I have no problem with gays. They typically are hard working, respectful, and very fun people. And no I am not gay.

dankrutka
05-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Don't bash all conservatives, I have no problem with gays. They typically are hard working, respectful, and very fun people. And no I am not gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

BoulderSooner
06-02-2011, 12:55 PM
just a note the next Urban Neighbors social is on June 9th at Louies midtown. Micky Clagg and Chris from midtown redevelopment corp are coming to give an update on their projects. As always some food will be provided and it will be a cash bar. Everyone is welcome to attend

ljbab728
06-02-2011, 10:55 PM
I stopped at Louie's saturday afternoon for a drink. The waitress made sure to mention about the renovation that would be going on across the street even though we hadn't talked about it. They were very excited.

rboyer
06-07-2011, 12:04 PM
just a note the next Urban Neighbors social is on June 9th at Louies midtown. Micky Clagg and Chris from midtown redevelopment corp are coming to give an update on their projects. As always some food will be provided and it will be a cash bar. Everyone is welcome to attend

What time is this social Boulder? I'd like to try to make it and listen in. Thanks.

BoulderSooner
06-07-2011, 12:23 PM
What time is this social Boulder? I'd like to try to make it and listen in. Thanks.

sorry should have pointed that out .... Urban Neighbors June Social thursday the 9th from 530-700 at Louie's Midtown my name is AJ by the way if you make it please introduce your self.

also want to note that the construction fence is now up around the Cline and i would expect work to start there very quickly

dankrutka
06-07-2011, 01:18 PM
The fence is around the Cline, there were workers at 1212 this morning, and it looks like the building north of the Packard has new windows... A lot of work getting going in Midtown.

mcca7596
06-07-2011, 01:32 PM
What a great future area with the streetcar going up Robinson...

I would have thought something would have been announced by now about the Packard.

Pete
06-07-2011, 01:35 PM
With this little flurry of activity along with several new Bricktown and Deep Deuce projects, it seems the financial purse strings are starting to loosen up a bit, especially in terms of urban rental and hotel projects.

Rover
06-07-2011, 01:52 PM
When will decisions be made now on the Mercy site?

BoulderSooner
06-07-2011, 03:11 PM
What a great future area with the streetcar going up Robinson...

I would have thought something would have been announced by now about the Packard.

they have 2 of the retail spots leased ... a business and a restaurant

With this little flurry of activity along with several new Bricktown and Deep Deuce projects, it seems the financial purse strings are starting to loosen up a bit, especially in terms of urban rental and hotel projects.

i'm sure that is true .. but i will say from a midtown point of view credit was never the reason for the slowdown

mcca7596
06-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I read about and noticed a rendering on Midtown Renaissance's video of a proposed Office Depot in Midtown several years ago. Anybody know if the project is still alive?

Doug Loudenback
06-12-2011, 01:54 AM
It is dead, by all reports.

BDK
06-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Yes, I meant to point this out so we can keep our eyes open for this:

Government subsidies are always controversial but the incentives given St. Anthony to stay put several years ago will go down as one of the best investments OKC has ever made.

Did you happen to catch the comments section, Pete? Gotta love this town...

Steve
06-19-2011, 03:04 PM
I read about and noticed a rendering on Midtown Renaissance's video of a proposed Office Depot in Midtown several years ago. Anybody know if the project is still alive?

dead

Architect2010
06-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Hmm. Hopefully, it takes up space behind Kaisers and into St. Anthony's main parking lot.

HOT ROD
06-19-2011, 07:24 PM
i hope it is 5 storeys (20,000 sq ft/floor) instead of 4 (25,000).

circuitboard
07-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Sweet!

Watson410
07-01-2011, 11:23 PM
What have they started working on? The inside I'm guessing?!?

ljbab728
07-01-2011, 11:30 PM
I hate when people here do this but I can't resist. LOL

Please check out this thread.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=20175&page=26

But I actually know that posters can't go through everything before thinking about starting a new thread.

wsucougz
07-02-2011, 12:18 PM
That's amazing, thanks for the pic. It certainly didn't look like this 2 months ago when I skipped town.

dankrutka
07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
It looks like the little antique furniture shop on the south east corner of the 10th and Walker circle has moved out. I wonder if there is something that could go in that location to add to the vibrancy of this area? That building could also use some renovation... Thoughts?