View Full Version : A Stroll Through Bricktown One Fine Evening

dismayed
03-14-2007, 10:00 PM
So last week I found myself in Bricktown. I have to say it was so great seeing so much foot traffic in the area thanks to the NCAA. I can't wait until the day when seeing that many people downtown on a weekend is common place. Some of my highlights:

I stopped by Al's Bar and Grill. I'm happy to say that the place was very busy. I had a burger there and thought the food was great.

Stopped in Bricktown Coney's. What a great little place. It has a bit of an east coast or maybe Chicago feel to it. I really liked the laid-back atmosphere of the bar upstairs and will be back.

LIT. Okay, for everyone who says that OKC doesn't have good techno anymore, you need to visit this place. The night I was there they had a live DJ spinning up some really cool techno, and not the mainstream junk you get at most bars. The guy was playing a lot of ambient-trance and some occasional break beat. It's not a dance club, it's a bar, but the music just really fits the place's atmosphere well.

Venue. Lots of Asian folks, also good techno.

Halo. The place was locked up and there was a big sign on the door from the city which read "Water Cutoff Notice." Anyone know what's going on here?

SkkyBar. This place is consistently busy everytime I have been there. Also, it seems to have the greatest number of ladies in any one single place in Bricktown. They play a lot of popular club music. It's a dance club. The bartenders are great and make good cocktails.

Drinkz. The place was actually packed. I'm happy to see this, I think it's a great upscale place that is still a bit of a secret. The owner is a really nice guy too.

jbrown84
03-15-2007, 08:55 AM
I think SkkyBar has now been there longer than any of the other clubs that have occupied that space.

Doug Loudenback
03-15-2007, 06:15 PM
So last week I found myself in Bricktown. I have to say it was so great seeing so much foot traffic in the area thanks to the NCAA. I can't wait until the day when seeing that many people downtown on a weekend is common place. Some of my highlights:

I stopped by Al's Bar and Grill. I'm happy to say that the place was very busy. I had a burger there and thought the food was great.

Stopped in Bricktown Coney's. What a great little place. It has a bit of an east coast or maybe Chicago feel to it. I really liked the laid-back atmosphere of the bar upstairs and will be back.

LIT. Okay, for everyone who says that OKC doesn't have good techno anymore, you need to visit this place. The night I was there they had a live DJ spinning up some really cool techno, and not the mainstream junk you get at most bars. The guy was playing a lot of ambient-trance and some occasional break beat. It's not a dance club, it's a bar, but the music just really fits the place's atmosphere well.

Venue. Lots of Asian folks, also good techno.

Halo. The place was locked up and there was a big sign on the door from the city which read "Water Cutoff Notice." Anyone know what's going on here?

SkkyBar. This place is consistently busy everytime I have been there. Also, it seems to have the greatest number of ladies in any one single place in Bricktown. They play a lot of popular club music. It's a dance club. The bartenders are great and make good cocktails.

Drinkz. The place was actually packed. I'm happy to see this, I think it's a great upscale place that is still a bit of a secret. The owner is a really nice guy too.
Dismayed, that's been my experience for quite a long time now ... but ... now that you've had the experience, are you still "Dismayed?"

metro
03-15-2007, 06:22 PM
dismayed, are you from out of town?

dismayed
03-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Everyone gets a kick out of my nick for some reason. :) FYI, it's not referring to OKC. Although I have been dismayed at some of the decisions made in Bricktown, it seems like those days are fewer and far between now.

I was born here, but have lived elsewhere. I have traveled a lot for work and also have friends scattered all across the country that I have hung out with for extended periods. So sometimes I feel like I have lived many more places.

I have been to many of those bars before, but wrote the original post in a way for folks who haven't been to those places. Maybe it made it seem like I was from out of town?