View Full Version : Sooner this, Bricktown that, and Centennial this and that...

AFCM
03-14-2007, 12:56 AM
I've noticed Oklahomans in the metro seem to lack originality when naming a business. The most commonly hijacked name would probably be "Sooner", followed by "Bricktown"...even though the company may not be located anywhere near the district, and now the new trend seems to be "Centennial".

What are some other names that are used too often and does this annoy you at all?

Off topic: I was getting more and more pissed this past week when I would hear someone refer to the Bricktown Canal as the "Riverwalk". Anyone else?

CMSturgeon
03-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Although it has only been used once, it was still too often:

Toby Keith's I love This Bar and Grill.

However, I still vote that as the new name of the airport.

Toby Keith I love This Bar and Grill Oklahoma City International Airport

Karried
03-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Off topic: I was getting more and more pissed this past week when I would hear someone refer to the Bricktown Canal as the "Riverwalk". Anyone else?

I didn't hear it, I was just happy to have a lot of people here actually visiting Bricktown..

I guess it could be worse.. 'man made canal walk'...lol

MadMonk
03-14-2007, 09:26 AM
How about the "Concrete creek walk"? :D

metro
03-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Good post. What really gets me is the misuse of Bricktown, especially with the local media abusing it. I just read an article from Darrin Currin in the Journal Record, according to him, almost all of the downtown housing developments are in Bricktown. In actual reality only 1 out of about 9 are in Bricktown. urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . get over Bricktown already.

Tim
03-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Personally, I think Bricktown is overrated. Now Tuttle, that's a tourist draw for ya! Laugh if you want to, but mark my words. Tuttle will be the next big thing!
Tim "the Centennial-Bricktown poster of choice"!

dismayed
03-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Unoriginal names we are sick of... how about EK Gaylord <insert building here>.

Might as well rename our airport EK Gaylord Oklahoma City International Airport and Bass Pro Shop.

As far as names that are under-used, I'm surprised that we don't see "Capitol" in more of the business and highway names here. We are, after all, the capitol city. Most other capitol cities that is a very common thing. Perhaps it is to avoid confusion with the Capitol Hill area? Dunno.

Spartan
03-14-2007, 10:00 PM
I've noticed Oklahomans in the metro seem to lack originality when naming a business. The most commonly hijacked name would probably be "Sooner", followed by "Bricktown"...even though the company may not be located anywhere near the district, and now the new trend seems to be "Centennial".

What are some other names that are used too often and does this annoy you at all?

Why don't you just enjoy the influx of tourists?

AFCM
03-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Why don't you just enjoy the influx of tourists?

Why do you always respond to my posts with a question? Why do you assume I don't enjoy the influx of tourists? Why do you assume it was just the tourists who were calling the canal a "Riverwalk"? Do you have some sort of a problem? Why were you banned from this board earlier? Why haven't you taken the offer to meet me in person? Are you afraid of me? Are you afraid of talking with another individual face to face? Do you prefer to do most of your talking from behind a computer screen? What's your deal? Why are you always responding to my posts with a question? Why?

Tim
03-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Why do you always respond to my posts with a question? Why do you assume I don't enjoy the influx of tourists? Why do you assume it was just the tourists who were calling the canal a "Riverwalk"? Do you have some sort of a problem? Why were you banned from this board earlier? Why haven't you taken the offer to meet me in person? Are you afraid of me? Are you afraid of talking with another individual face to face? Do you prefer to do most of your talking from behind a computer screen? What's your deal? Why are you always responding to my posts with a question? Why?

Why can't we all just get along?

Prunepicker
03-18-2007, 06:05 PM
I've been trying to find a name for the center where the Blazers and Hornets play. I'm not one to give free advertising to a company that didn't build it. I irks me to call it something it isn't, i.e. name rights only.

Any idea? How about "The Arena" or "The Bricktown Arena"?

The ballpark is called the Brickyard or the Bricktown Ballpark.
The convention center is still called the Myriad or the Convention Center by most of us who've lived here.

Hopefully the Myriad Gardens will keep it's name.

Thanks to all the companies that have purchased the rights to put their name on the front of the above mentioned venues. I just don't care to call it by their name. A 3'x5' bronze plaque on the corner telling us how much you donated would be nicer. We could put it beside the plaque that tells us when it was constructed, the contractor and who the mayor was.

Prunepicker

Edmond_Outsider
03-19-2007, 04:39 AM
Personally, the term "Heartland" has always annoyed me.

Dungeon Master
03-19-2007, 05:39 AM
WOW, what a positive post we have going on here.

Prunepicker
03-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Personally, the term "Heartland" has always annoyed me.

Heartland is nebulous, that is, non-descriptive. It has no defined boundaries. It can mean anyplace in the Midwest. Oklahoma has definite boundaries. Who made up that name anyway? Some Yankee reporter? I don't remember it existing until shortly after 4/19/95.

Prunepicker

Turanacus
03-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Although it has only been used once, it was still too often:

Toby Keith's I love This Bar and Grill.

However, I still vote that as the new name of the airport.

Toby Keith I love This Bar and Grill Oklahoma City International Airport

Funny.