View Full Version : New mural in Bricktown?

Patrick
11-09-2004, 02:28 AM
Well this won't be on the Sante Fe Railroad tracks wall like the whale mural would've been, but this will be just below that at canal level.
Now we just need to get someone to paint that empty wall below the Sante Fe Railroad tracks.
--------------
"City ponders huge mosaic proposed for Bricktown canal
by Heidi R. Centrella
The Journal Record
11/9/2004

A 1,500-square-foot mosaic has been proposed at the west end of the Bricktown canal.
The Oklahoma Centennial Commission and Oklahoma City Community College are working in tandem to create and fund the mosaic before the state's centennial celebration in 2007.

The measure was scheduled to be addressed Wednesday by the Bricktown Urban Design Committee. The committee removed the item from its agenda late Monday due to further processing requirements, said John R. Calhoun at the Oklahoma City Planning Department.

"The city, as the owner, has not yet signed the application," Calhoun said. "(Oklahoma City Parks and Recreation Department) has had it and known it's there and has not yet done it. So it's not like they've just been surprised by having this handed to them. At this point, it's somewhere kicking around city management."

Wendel Whisenhunt, director of Parks and Recreation, said the matter needs to first go before the Oklahoma City Council.

"It was referred to me a few days ago, and the matter of sending it to the city council had not yet been recognized," Whisenhunt said. "And when I recognized that, I informed the planning department that it had to go to council first, and, of course, they agreed."

Calhoun said the soonest the item can be heard is early next month.

Lee Allan Smith, chairman of projects and special events at the Oklahoma Centennial Commission, said he feels confident the measure will be approved.

"We think we've done our homework to go to them early … to let them know our hopes and line up any suggestions or ideas so they had their chance to help this along," he said. "If they weren't to approve it, it would be disappointing."

The primary artist on the project, Mary Moore, professor of visual arts at the college, said it will take a team of artists and volunteers to complete the near $200,000 project with images of wildlife, Red Bud trees, pouring water, an Oklahoma sunrise and the state's 77 counties, situated at the boat turnaround on the west end of the canal. The images will be crafted from porcelain and native red Oklahoma clay.

"We just wanted to have that same peaceful and tranquil, serene feeling," Moore said, describing the location on the canal where the mosaic would be located, if approved by the city.

As of press time, officials at OCCC were not available for comment."

Luke
11-09-2004, 05:30 AM
Cool!

floater
11-09-2004, 10:02 AM
This will be a real treat to look at for the taxi riders!!

Patrick
11-09-2004, 10:19 AM
The more public art projects we can get across our city, the better the quality of life will be. I hope the public arts campaign continues in our city.