View Full Version : Stereotypes?

CMSturgeon
03-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Just thought of this question because I work at a car dealership and a salesmen was just rude. But hey, they're always rude because they're salesmen. And that right there is what this post is about. What stereotypes like that do you know? Here are two that come to mind.... especially for a woman.

Car Salesman: usually good looking but always errogant, and your charm won't work on him if you're purty because he gets so many ladies, he's "above all that"

Construction Worker: always hear they cheat on their women, oh and that smoking weed is a requirement, lol.

Not trying to piss anyone off. I have family in both professions I listed above. I was just wondering if anyone else has stereotypes like that surroundign their jobs or coworkers.

bandnerd
03-12-2007, 12:49 PM
All teachers have the hots for their students.

Tim
03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
People who commute on bicycles are either homeless or college students. Or homeless college students.

bandnerd
03-12-2007, 01:42 PM
All white people can't dance.

CMSturgeon
03-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Hey, I can dance. For sure. But yeah, most cant. And I agree, sadly if I see someone walking or riding I always think they're broke. Really, they could just be doing good for themselves by getting some exercise, or just wanting to do good for the earth by walking or riding somewhere.

NE Oasis
03-12-2007, 02:24 PM
All teachers have the hots for their students.

Where were you when I was in middle school?

Anyway - anybody that wears a shirt with thier name on it is a redneck with a substandard education.

Tim
03-12-2007, 02:33 PM
There's and old joke among cyclists that basically says "When the value of your bike exceeds the value of your car, you have become a true cyclist"

mranderson
03-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Here are some of the stereotypes that bothers me a lot.

1. Ther belief that all middle aged male consrvatives are dumber and less wise than liberals in their twenties and thirties. (not true)

2. The belief that everyone from Oklahoma is a trailer trash hick. (not true)

3. The belief that everyone from anywhere in California are bleeding heart liberals. (not true) Add to that the dirogatory phrase about California "land of fruits and nuts."

Karried
03-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Ther belief that all middle aged male consrvatives are dumber and less wise than liberals in their twenties and thirties. (not true)

???? That's a belief and assumption maybe ... not a stereotype.

I've never heard in my entire life someone say ' those middle age conservatives are dumber than a box of rocks, but those young whipper snapper Liberals should be rocket scientists".

And trust me.... the belief you hold about California is not considered stereotypical of the majority of people... a few feel that way but not everyone prescribes to the'belief' that everyone living in CA feels the same way politically. I lived there nearly 40 years, almost my entire life so I speak from experience.

TomGirl
03-12-2007, 06:05 PM
I wonder if I have a stereotypical characteristic? I'll ask some people I know and wonder if they're being honest.

mranderson
03-12-2007, 06:30 PM
???? That's a belief and assumption maybe ... not a stereotype.

I've never heard in my entire life someone say ' those middle age conservatives are dumber than a box of rocks, but those young whipper snapper Liberals should be rocket scientists".

And trust me.... the belief you hold about California is not considered stereotypical of the majority of people... a few feel that way but not everyone prescribes to the'belief' that everyone living in CA feels the same way politically. I lived there nearly 40 years, almost my entire life so I speak from experience.

Belief, stereotype. All but the same thing. I worded them that way to avoid confrontation. Now. On California. I was DEFENDING it. I have been in Oklahoma nearly 52 years, and there is a very large prejusdist toward Californians and stereotype that all Californians are liberals and homosexuals. Personally, I LOVE California, and loathe the expression I used.

bandnerd
03-12-2007, 06:34 PM
The stereotype that all 20-somethings are boob-flashing, binge-drinking potheads who slack off in front of the xbox all day and live off their parents, all the while holding no interest in politics, education, foreign affairs, or other important issues.

Karried
03-12-2007, 06:48 PM
On California. I was DEFENDING it.

We don't need to be defended ... most people know better than to generalize about the 36,132,147 (approx) residents of California to foolishly think we are all gay liberals.

I have been in Oklahoma nearly 52 years, and there is a very large prejusdist toward Californians and stereotype that all Californians are liberals and homosexuals

Let's see, I've been here over 4 years. The only response I've ever gotten when telling people I'm from California is 'why in the world would you move here from there ???!" And that's from the residents of OK.. so apparently they don't think CA is all that bad. I've never experienced any prejudice about being from CA ... and I've never been hit on by those despicable, deplorable, disgusting gay people either.

Belief, stereotype. All but the same thing. I worded them that way to avoid confrontation.

If we're being honest, the only reason I replied to this is because I felt as if you were trying to make another political jab and argue further, based on the recent events on this board.

Conservative ( wise and all knowing) vs Liberal (fruits and nuts) again..

here's another stereotype -

All blondes are dumb.

So much for a fun thread.

Tim
03-13-2007, 07:33 AM
We don't need to be defended ... most people know better than to generalize about the 36,132,147 (approx) residents of California to foolishly think we are all gay liberals.

Let's see, I've been here over 4 years. The only response I've ever gotten when telling people I'm from California is 'why in the world would you move here from there ???!" And that's from the residents of OK.. so apparently they don't think CA is all that bad. I've never experienced any prejudice about being from CA ... and I've never been hit on by those despicable, deplorable, disgusting gay people either.

If we're being honest, the only reason I replied to this is because I felt as if you were trying to make another political jab and argue further, based on the recent events on this board.

Conservative ( wise and all knowing) vs Liberal (fruits and nuts) again..

here's another stereotype -

All blondes are dumb.

So much for a fun thread.

Recent events? Did I miss some excitement? Dangit!

mranderson
03-13-2007, 10:09 AM
"If we're being honest, the only reason I replied to this is because I felt as if you were trying to make another political jab and argue further, based on the recent events on this board.

Conservative ( wise and all knowing) vs Liberal (fruits and nuts) again.. "

No. I was NOT making a "political jab." In political threads, I have the right to do that anyway. The others do it all the time. Just because I am now in the minority (a conservative) does not justify blasting me for giving my opinion. I was citing what I think of as a stereotype.

Now. On the fruits and nuts. You must face the fact I am a native to this state, Many of you are not. I have very close relatives in California and visit there as often as I can and have grown to love the state as if it was my home. I have heard that hidious expression land of fruits and nuts as long as I can remember. Karried, on the other hand, has been here only four years. You are quite lucky if you have not heard it. Take it from a native. There IS a very large number of people who are prejudist against California. I have asked a lot of them if they had been there. Most answered no. This makes it a stereotype and one I chose to defend.

bandnerd
03-13-2007, 10:16 AM
I have lived here my entire life and have never once encountered the land of fruits and nuts stereotype.

Now, steers and queers in Texas, yeah, I've heard that one a lot!

I, too, have relatives in California, and have visited there a few times. Loved to visit, though I prefer living here.

Easy180
03-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Lived here 35 years and have never heard that expression either

mranderson...I take your defense of the trailer park stereotype with a grain of salt...Seeing as you hurl that insult around freely for several cities in the metro

CMSturgeon
03-13-2007, 10:33 AM
The stereotype that all 20-somethings are boob-flashing, binge-drinking potheads who slack off in front of the xbox all day and live off their parents, all the while holding no interest in politics, education, foreign affairs, or other important issues.

lol. You are right. I'm 19 and own my own home and work full time and attend school. However, I would like to do something crazy like flash my boobs once before I die. ha ha ha. Most of the people I know are boob-flashing, binge-drinking potheads who slack off in front of the xbox all day and live off their parents, all the while holding no interest in politics, education, foreign affairs, or other important issues though. Those lame-o's make it harder to earn respect at my age in the work place. Oh well, it just means I can be an over achiever and get more recognition for it. Like "wow, you did so well on this, much better than you, 30 year old guy."

CMSturgeon
03-13-2007, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=bandnerd;87750]I have lived here my entire life and have never once encountered the land of fruits and nuts stereotype.QUOTE]

I don't see what's so bad about having plentiful crops and fruitful tree growth......

:tiphat:

mranderson
03-13-2007, 10:46 AM
[quote=bandnerd;87750]I have lived here my entire life and have never once encountered the land of fruits and nuts stereotype.QUOTE]

I don't see what's so bad about having plentiful crops and fruitful tree growth......

:tiphat:

In the eyes of a redneck... Fruit: homosexual... Nut: "tree hugger" liberal. THAT is what bothers me. Not all Californians are homosexual and/or liberal. In fact, liberals and homosexuals are in the minority. IT is the areas such as San Francisco and inner Los Angeles (such as Hollywood) you hear about causing the stereotype.

If you have never heard that expression, It surprises me. You are quite lucky.

CMSturgeon
03-13-2007, 10:51 AM
.... I was being sarcastic!

Karried
03-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Now. On the fruits and nuts. You must face the fact I am a native to this state, Many of you are not.

Let's think about this for a moment.

Why is it that you claim you are more knowledgeable about a state because you are a native of this state, yet you refuse to acknowledge that since I am a native of California (over 40 years living - not visiting) that I might be more informed than YOU about the stereotypes of MY home/native state?

I would never assert that I am an expert on anything based on a few visits.

There may be a saying or a joke regarding 'fruits & nuts' but it is most certainly not a stereotypical belief held by the majority of the nation or even OK for that matter.

I highly doubt people in OK run around saying..
'Y'all just moved in.. oh California.. that crazy fruit and nut state' ...

Give me a break.

CMSturgeon
03-13-2007, 12:38 PM
I had never heard the "fruits and nuts" phrase until now. I think opinions of California depend on the parts. In regards to say, L.A., I immediately think of crime or celebrities. And then of course, San Francisco, nice bridge, hilly streets, and gay pride. And then of course Beverly Hills....etc. These are coming from someone that has never been to California. Oh yeah, I can't forget, "those people talk a lot," and strict traffic laws. Those are what I have heard.

Any other states? Oh yeah, Texas, steers and queers. Seems odd since when I think of Texas, the image of a testosterone filled homophobic cowboy comes to mind.

bandnerd
03-13-2007, 12:47 PM
anderson,

I understand what the phrase meant. It's not that difficult to figure out.

As for not hearing it, maybe I just associate with a different circle of people than you. People who don't stereotype or judge.

mranderson
03-13-2007, 01:45 PM
I had never heard the "fruits and nuts" phrase until now. I think opinions of California depend on the parts. In regards to say, L.A., I immediately think of crime or celebrities. And then of course, San Francisco, nice bridge, hilly streets, and gay pride. And then of course Beverly Hills....etc. These are coming from someone that has never been to California. Oh yeah, I can't forget, "those people talk a lot," and strict traffic laws. Those are what I have heard.

Any other states? Oh yeah, Texas, steers and queers. Seems odd since when I think of Texas, the image of a testosterone filled homophobic cowboy comes to mind.

I am not thrilled about "steers and queers" comments either. Same thing. Stereotype. GRanted, most Texans are rednecks, however, it is still a stereotype.

mranderson
03-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Let's think about this for a moment.

Why is it that you claim you are more knowledgeable about a state because you are a native of this state, yet you refuse to acknowledge that since I am a native of California (over 40 years living - not visiting) that I might be more informed than YOU about the stereotypes of MY home/native state?

I would never assert that I am an expert on anything based on a few visits.

There may be a saying or a joke regarding 'fruits & nuts' but it is most certainly not a stereotypical belief held by the majority of the nation or even OK for that matter.

I highly doubt people in OK run around saying..
'Y'all just moved in.. oh California.. that crazy fruit and nut state' ...

Give me a break.

I never accused you of NOT being more informed. Actually, it is "turnabout is fair play." You have claimed to know more about my NATIVE STATE of Oklahoma than me. Just accept the fact that I care enough about California to enjoy it and defend it, and end it at that, please.