View Full Version : Shorty Smalls @ I-240 CLOSED

SoonerDave
03-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Just drove past the new Short Smalls "Express" which opened less than a year ago at I-240 and Walker, and it's out of business.

A sign in the window indicates that Primo's Italian Eatery will be opening in its place. That's an interesting call, considering Johnny Carino's is literally across the street.

I ate at Shorty Smalls once, and I found it to be awful. My wife, who will eat practically anything in a tortilla, didn't even like her enchiladas. I'm not surprised they're gone.

-SoonerDave

jbrown84
03-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Primo's sure is expanding rapidly. I wouldn't worry. It's ten times better than Johnny Carino's, which is about the worst italian chain.

kmf563
03-12-2007, 08:15 AM
ooohhh....that is good news. I know a lot of people like Johnny Carinos but I think it is way over rated. It's always greasy and tastes generic to me. Primo's is really good...but you have to wonder if it will be as good in a new location. Sometimes mom & pop restaurants lose their quality when they branch out. But either way, it is time for Shorty's to give it up.

Easy180
03-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Primo's should do very well head to head with Carino's...It is better and since Carino's is old news by now that can only help Primo's coming in

Looking forward to them opening

jbrown84
03-12-2007, 08:17 AM
I've only eaten at the Midwest City location, so I'd say they can branch out fine.

Martin
03-12-2007, 08:36 AM
wow... shorty small's wasn't open very long. can't say that i'm surprised, though. the food was wretched and after the initial grand opening rush, the place never looked busy. good riddance... i'm hoping primo's has more success in that spot. -M

okclee
03-12-2007, 08:40 AM
I too tried Shorty's once and thought the food was not good. I do think that Primo's should have no problem across from Carinos.

SoonerDave
03-12-2007, 08:53 AM
I do think that Primo's should have no problem across from Carinos.

My wife likes one particular dish at Carino's, and I guess it's okay, but the food does kinda seem a bit greasy no matter what you get. I've always liked the veal parmagiana, but as for the rest... ehhhh....

I'll definitely give Primo's a visit.

-David

soonergirl
03-12-2007, 02:28 PM
I also thought the food at Shorty Small's was nothing short of nasty. My cheeseburger was so greasy that the bottom bun literally disintegrated. I've never seen anything like it.

CMSturgeon
03-12-2007, 03:16 PM
I also thought the food at Shorty Small's was nothing short of nasty. My cheeseburger was so greasy that the bottom bun literally disintegrated. I've never seen anything like it.

You should probably go to the doctor if your buns are disintegrating.

:tiphat:

Ginkasa
03-13-2007, 12:31 AM
You people are crazy. Johnny Carino's is my FAVORITE. Granted, I've never eaten at Primo's (I keep planning, too... This will be close to my house, so...), but all I've ever really heard about Primo's was that it was mediocre.

So, this thread kind of surprised me...

Keith
03-13-2007, 05:08 AM
Ok, now don't throw anything at me, but it looks like I am in the minority. I love Shorty Smalls....their food is great (I love their catfish), and the burgers are wonderful. As a matter of fact, my whole family ate there last Saturday (at Reno and Meridian), and there were no complaints.

SoonerDave
03-13-2007, 06:52 AM
As a matter of fact, my whole family ate there last Saturday (at Reno and Meridian), and there were no complaints.

No brickbats here, Keith :)

I think the Shorty Smalls on I-240 was similar to the Meridian location in name only. It was only a fraction above fast-food. They identified it as a "Shorty Smalls Express," and its menu was really pretty limited...

I've eaten at the Primo's in MWC once, and it was very tasty, very nice atmosphere; a bit pricey, and the service wasn't the greatest time-wise, but it was clear they aspired to a very nice dining atmosphere. I just hope they try the same thing at I-240.

-soonerdave

jbrown84
03-13-2007, 09:21 AM
I didn't think there were any of these left. The corporate office at MacArthur and NW Highway appears abandoned.

CMSturgeon
03-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Yesterday I was on my way to David Stanley Chevrolet and watched people pull up to Shorty Smalls and all get out of their cars and try to open their door. Just wanted to say thanks for letting me know it was closed, I wouldn't have had anything to laugh at those people for if I didn't know. lol.

mranderson
03-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Yesterday I was on my way to David Stanley Chevrolet and watched people pull up to Shorty Smalls and all get out of their cars and try to open their door. Just wanted to say thanks for letting me know it was closed, I wouldn't have had anything to laugh at those people for if I didn't know. lol.

Nothing like a closed sign staring you in the face, and you still knock and tug on the door. Humm. Interesting. I guess that speaks volumes for the quality of some people here.

CMSturgeon
03-13-2007, 10:58 AM
I felt like I could hear the person saying, "why is the door locked, i can't read." I put up a giant sign at my work with an arrow and "bathroom" and people ask me at least 3x a day where the bathroom is. I REALLY ENJOY IT TOO.

Spartan
03-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Primo's sure is expanding rapidly. I wouldn't worry. It's ten times better than Johnny Carino's, which is about the worst italian chain.

AGREED. Johnny Carino's blows.

kmf563
03-14-2007, 07:52 AM
Shorty Smalls food isn't horrible...the one on Meridian seems to be the best. But that express thing was just wrong! I guess they were trying to copy the Charcoal burger and just didn't quite get it right. Carino's on the other hand...yuck. You might as well give me a spoon and a vat of grease. That place is gross. It's two degrees short of serving spaghettios. ewww.

mranderson
03-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Shorty Smalls food isn't horrible...the one on Meridian seems to be the best. But that express thing was just wrong! I guess they were trying to copy the Charcoal burger and just didn't quite get it right. Carino's on the other hand...yuck. You might as well give me a spoon and a vat of grease. That place is gross. It's two degrees short of serving spaghettios. ewww.

If it is "two degrees short of 'spaghetti Os'" then where does it lie in relation to "Spam." (lol)

Ginkasa
03-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I am lost and confused hearing these things about Johnny Carino's. Its my favorite, and until now I've never heard anything bad about it... It even made some list of best chain restaurants made by ABC....

Easy180
03-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Do you always get the same thing Ginkasa?...I have tried several items and left unimpressed except for the Italian Nachos...Those things rock!

kmf563
03-14-2007, 12:14 PM
I am lost and confused hearing these things about Johnny Carino's. Its my favorite, and until now I've never heard anything bad about it... It even made some list of best chain restaurants made by ABC....

If it makes you feel any better about Carino's - I don't like any of the restaurants on that list from ABC. These are the ones I saw as far as top chains: ( I've never heard of Claim Jumper and I haven't eaten at a Red Hot & Blue, but I'm not impressed with the others ) Is this the list you were speaking of?

Claim Jumper
Romano's Macaroni Grill
Johnny Carino's
Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy
Texas Roadhouse
Red Hot & Blue
Famous Dave's

Spartan
03-14-2007, 03:30 PM
I am a huge fan of Famous Dave's. We could really use one of those in OKC. We always hit up the one in DT Sioux City.

Ginkasa
03-15-2007, 10:07 PM
If it makes you feel any better about Carino's - I don't like any of the restaurants on that list from ABC. These are the ones I saw as far as top chains: ( I've never heard of Claim Jumper and I haven't eaten at a Red Hot & Blue, but I'm not impressed with the others ) Is this the list you were speaking of?

Claim Jumper
Romano's Macaroni Grill
Johnny Carino's
Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy
Texas Roadhouse
Red Hot & Blue
Famous Dave's

That is the list. I felt kind of proud because two of my favorite restaurants (Abuelo's and Johnny Carino's) are on it.

I do generally get the same thing, but its also generally the same kind of thing I get from other Italian restaurants, and I've always enjoyed Carino's more.

Just FYI, I almost always get something alfredo. If I don't, I probably won't like it.

jbrown84
03-22-2007, 03:17 PM
The alfredo at Johnny Carino's tastes like water.

CMSturgeon
03-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Would you take a free order of nachos from Johnny Carino's if someone offered them to you? The question is in regards to a story involving me and a waitress I almost tackled.

Ginkasa
03-24-2007, 12:04 AM
Tried Primo's the other day. Didn't like it. The bread was iffy. The alfredo, for some strange reason, reminded me of tuna. I like neither tuna nor things that remind me of tuna.

I'll just consider myself the only sane person in a crazy world, I suppose...

kmf563
03-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Tried Primo's the other day. Didn't like it. The bread was iffy. The alfredo, for some strange reason, reminded me of tuna. I like neither tuna nor things that remind me of tuna.

I'll just consider myself the only sane person in a crazy world, I suppose...

I suppose to each his own Ginkasa. At least you gave it a try. I guess I'll just stay
"crazy" because I really disagree with your tastes. I guess future lunches are out. haha.