View Full Version : Hornet's give Stars & Stripes Park a Gift

Keith
03-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Stars & Stripes Park to soar into future with gift from Hornets

Stars & Stripes Park will take a giant leap into the future with the installation of three new play structures on March 30. The play structures are a gift to the Oklahoma City Parks and Recreation Department from the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets through a partnership with OKC Beautiful. Over 80 volunteers, including Hornets staff, will assist with the March 30 installation. The new play structures represent the first phase of a larger renovation project to the park located on the south shore of Lake Hefner.

“We are very excited to have the Hornets associated with this project,” said Wendel Whisenhunt, director of the City’s Parks and Recreation Department. “They’ve been a great community partner here, and we are pleased they have chosen the Oklahoma City parks system for one of their projects. Their generosity will allow us to significantly enhance the play area at Stars & Stripes Park, which will benefit the children of Oklahoma City.”

The three new structures will add to already-existing plans by the Parks Department for the renovation of the park’s playground. The new structures will retain the futuristic look and feel, and red, white and blue color scheme familiar to Stars & Stripes visitors. Each will feature multiple slides, tunnels and climbers. They will also meet current playground design regulations & standards. The current playground at Stars & Stripes Park will be retired early next week in preparation for the new structures.

The Hornets’ donation and awareness of the park came about through the efforts of OKC Beautiful, who facilitated the donation. “OKC Beautiful has been a great friend and partner to the Parks Department for many years,” said Whisenhunt. “They’ve once again stepped up to help us provide an enhanced quality of life for our children and citizens. The new playground equipment represents a new beginning for this park and one we’re greatly looking forward to.”

The remainder of the park’s renovation, which will include enhancements to the lakeside plaza area, is being funded through the 2000 General Obligation Bond.

###

metro
03-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Good post Keith, I saw this on the news the other night, glad to hear more details.

jbrown84
03-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I will miss the rocket slide.

HOT ROD
03-11-2007, 08:44 PM
I think its about time the Hornets gave something to OKC, instead of OKC always giving to NO and the Hornets.

I understand about Katrina and everything, but jeeze - OKC has been the home of this team for 2 years yet it seems the only thing happening is NO siphoning away from OKC.

I think this is a good move that should be followed by some other sort of donation by the hornets to something downtown - so they could leave a legacy of sorts.

That would be classy (just like OKC has been classy to them and NO), not to be too negative but - how many want to bet the Hornets just "up and leave".

mburlison
03-11-2007, 10:53 PM
"up and leave" ?? The Hornets management have never said they'd stay here. Whether they'd really want to or not, who knows, but its not up to them, but the NBA Commissioner. The arrangement all along was temporary, the wishful thinking of many notwithstanding.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
03-11-2007, 11:17 PM
I will miss the rocket slide.

That rocket slide will always be set in stone in my memory. I remember the first time I laid eyes on it, I was 5 or six years old and it seemed as if it was as tall as a skyscraper. I slid down that slide at least a dozen times before I moved on to one of the other playground toys.

I am going to have to get out there and take pictures tomorrow, provided it is still there.

jbrown84
03-12-2007, 08:05 AM
"up and leave" ?? The Hornets management have never said they'd stay here. Whether they'd really want to or not, who knows, but its not up to them, but the NBA Commissioner. The arrangement all along was temporary, the wishful thinking of many notwithstanding.

We know they are leaving. What he means is he wouldn't be surprised if they just left without and kind of thank you or appreciation for OKC.