View Full Version : Bicycling in the Metro

Tim
03-09-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm curious to hear everyone's cycling experiences in and around the Metro. There seems to be a great deal of controversy concerning cycling on city streets, and a lot of people on both sides have strong opinions. What are your thoughts?

CMSturgeon
03-09-2007, 12:04 PM
My husband just bought a bicycle from a friend. He'll be riding and I'll be jogging this summer to try to tone ourselves up. I'm looking forward to doing so on trails or sidewalks but would be to afraid to do so on the streets. Last summer we went camping at Lake Thunderbird and as we left we were following a friend who drives really crazy. Well we top this hill and there is a whole pack of bikers just sitting there about to start a race. Those people are lucky they didn't get hit, that was pretty terrifying. I actually got an email of an old joke concerning biking yesterday... something like..... little girl gets a ticket for no reflectors..... then says something about a horses d-word. Can I say that word on here? NAUGHTY.

Tim
03-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I LOVE that joke! I was riding with some friends Wednesday morning when we got stuck in traffic near Edmond North High School. A kid in a pickup roars by, leans out his window and yells "GO NEAL ARMSTRONG"! I fell off my bike laughing!

CMSturgeon
03-09-2007, 12:51 PM
lmao. Wow, that's all I can say, wow.

:congrats:

Tim
03-09-2007, 12:56 PM
If you guys are looking for some local resources to kick start your summer cycling check out Oklahoma Bicycle Society - Home Page (http://www.oklahomabicyclesociety.com) , ECO Edmond (http://www.ecoedmond.org) or visit your local bike shop and ask the employees about routes and group rides. I'ts a lot more fun with a group of friends!

Keith
03-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I would actually prefer riding the trails at Leke Hefner, where it is a little safer. A few years ago, I was riding my bike to work three times a week (15 miles round trip). I had reflectors and lights on my bike, as well as wearing a reflective vest, and I still had near hits. Motorists just don't seem to pay much attention to bicyclists.

metro
03-13-2007, 11:55 AM
I've been watching the rapid progress on the new trails connecting Lake Hefner to Lake Overholser. The trails going through Wiley Post Airport are almost done. My guess is that these trails will be open by summer.

CCOKC
03-13-2007, 11:59 AM
I have been trying to figure out how the trail crosses the NW Expressway. Anybody know? It looks like it is going to go down Britton west from Lake Hefner and then south down MacArthur. I have seen the progress south of NWE down Wilshire but am confused how this part will connect.