View Full Version : Moody's boost's OKC's credit rating

metro
03-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Not sure if anyone remembers when Standard and Poors (S&P) improved OKC's credit rating last year for the first time in more than two decades but 2 weeks ago Moody's also upped OKC's credit rating to a ranking of Aa1. If anyone has the entire article from the Journal Record online from Feburary 28th, please post it.

Here is the link to discussion about last years S&P ranking: http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/5967-s-p-oklahomas-rating.html?highlight=standard+poors

Karried
03-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Very cool...

I'm loving all the positive news about OKC!

floater
03-08-2007, 08:14 PM
This validates the skill of the city staff and everything we've done MAPS forward. Besides locals' confidence the city government, you can't honor it more than this. I think it paves the way for the city to be more ambitious with its bond proposals, development agreements (such as the Skirvin), and economic incentive packages.

jbrown84
03-08-2007, 09:50 PM
What exactly does this mean?

floater
03-08-2007, 10:19 PM

A credit rating is like a credit score for governments and corporations. A good rating denotes prudent fiscal management and health. The higher the rating, the lower the cost of borrowing. But unlike the range between 300 and 900, there are only several (can't name them off the top of my head) categories. It probably goes from junk to 3's to 2's and then 1's. As the report said, AA1 is the highest rating the City could ever achieve.

It reflects Moody's confidence in an institution to pay off debt. That's why they look at things like revenue streams (ie sales tax collections) and strategies for growth.

jbrown84
03-08-2007, 10:44 PM
ok thanks

CMSturgeon
03-09-2007, 12:05 PM

Glad someone asked, was about to do so myself.

mranderson
03-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Glad someone asked, was about to do so myself.

I guess this is proof the younger generation is truly out of touch.

When I was young and inexperienced as many are on this board, we did not have "credit scores." we had credit ratings. They were based on a scale of zero to five (or possibly more). Zero meant you had no negative reports, and the more negativity you had, the worse your rating was. Usually, if you had between zero and two, you had what Dunn and Bradstreet would call a AAA rating, which was the highest you could get.

I have no idea what genious (sarcasticly said) invented this "score." It is really means no more than a true rating.

jbrown84
03-09-2007, 12:24 PM

Excuse me. I wasn't a business major.

metro
03-09-2007, 12:47 PM

When I was young and inexperienced as many are on this board, we did not have "credit scores." we had credit ratings. They were based on a scale of zero to five (or possibly more). Zero meant you had no negative reports, and the more negativity you had, the worse your rating was. Usually, if you had between zero and two, you had what Dunn and Bradstreet would call a AAA rating, which was the highest you could get.

I have no idea what genious (sarcasticly said) invented this "score." It is really means no more than a true rating.

jbrown I'll guess I'll have to excuse myself as well from mrandersons usual ignorant comment. after all, we all can only hope to be near retirement and work at a call center and be super wise at the same time. just because we're young doesn't mean we claim to know everything, or can't know more than previous generations. after all we grew up with the advent of the internet and the information age. I must be "ignorant and young" because I started this article, and the similar discussion about the S&P rating, for me to be on top of these things and know what they mean must make me foolish and inexperienced according to mranderson's standards. oh well, i suppose he'll be running this city any year now, then we can see what true wisdom brings to the city. :congrats:

CMSturgeon
03-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't feel out of touch just because I don't know my city's credit rating.... or even what the hell that is. But I do feel damn good knowing about financial credit ratings, anyone need any help in that area let me know, I work in finance. Anderson has the city, so i'll take the finance area of your lives in control. Anyone else want to call dibbs on an area they KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT?

mranderson
03-09-2007, 01:05 PM
jbrown I'll guess I'll have to excuse myself as well from mrandersons usual ignorant comment. after all, we all can only hope to be near retirement and work at a call center and be super wise at the same time. just because we're young doesn't mean we claim to know everything, or can't know more than previous generations. after all we grew up with the advent of the internet and the information age. I must be "ignorant and young" because I started this article, and the similar discussion about the S&P rating, for me to be on top of these things and know what they mean must make me foolish and inexperienced according to mranderson's standards. oh well, i suppose he'll be running this city any year now, then we can see what true wisdom brings to the city. :congrats:

FYI. I no longer am employed at a call center. The rest of your remarks I will ignore because many people on here have not reached the maturity level to understand their elders.

Oh. By the way. Your comments have nothing to do with the fact I have been alive long enough and educated enough to understand credit ratings. I guess there are a lot of jelious people here.

jbrown84
03-09-2007, 01:07 PM
FYI. I no longer am employed at a call center. The rest of your harassing remarks I will ignore because many people on here have not reached the maturity level to understand their elders.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

and no, I am not made of jelly.

CMSturgeon
03-09-2007, 01:10 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

and no, I am not made of jelly.

I'm really confused right now.

jbrown84
03-09-2007, 01:16 PM
I guess there are a lot of jelious people here.

Yeah he's real smart.

CMSturgeon
03-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Alright then, get it now.