View Full Version : 3 Alarm Fire in downtown OKC

metro
03-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Saw it on the 5pm News.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma City firefighters battled a three-alarm blaze near downtown on Wednesday.

Crews were called to 317 N.W. Eighth St. at about 4:30 p.m.

According to authorities, firefighters were pulled from the building and efforts were defensive in nature.

They added that firefighters are trying to protect the building next to it, too.

Stay tuned to Eyewitness News 5 for further details.

and this from the Oklahoman:

Building Burns in north Downtown

By Augie Frost
The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City fire crews are working to extinguish a large fire at a building in north downtown Oklahoma City.
About 4 p.m., fire crews responded to NW 8 and Harvey Avenue after dispatchers received a report that heavy smoke was pouring from a building.

At 4:30 p.m., a third alarm was called and more fire crews arrived to battle the blaze defensively because the fire had grown out of control, an official said. Wood covering the windows limited firefighters' access to the building, making the blaze harder to fight.

Because the abandoned building is so old, said Dep. Chief Tony Young, collapsing walls are a concern for crews, Young said.

It is not yet clear how the fire started or if anyone has been hurt.

bandnerd
03-07-2007, 04:59 PM
I was wondering where that was. Saw the helis and all the smoke coming home. I had hoped to open up the windows and let in some fresh air but I couldn't stand the smoke here just walking in from my car!

Sad to see the building burn...hopefully something nice will be put in its place.

metro
03-07-2007, 06:31 PM
bandnerd what building is it? I plan on driving a few blocks over and seeing it if I can, I know its at 8th and Harvey but didn't know if you knew the particular building name or not.

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Sounds like it would be around the old Central High...

bandnerd
03-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Nah, don't know the building, sorry. It's close to the Cline Hotel? At least I think that's how you spell it? Hubby thinks it was an old apartment building.

Insurance fraud???

John
03-08-2007, 01:46 AM
I was downtown for the Big XII Championships and noticed it as I was pulling into downtown, but didn't ever hear what it was...

Thanks!