View Full Version : Urban Renewal fixing to screw up again...

Pages : [1] 2

metro
03-07-2007, 09:10 AM
For those of you who know what's going on with the old Mercy Hospital site on NW 13th. (We've discussed the proposals before), the two options are Mercy Park and Overholser Green. Right now OCURA (Urban Renewal) is recommending the Overholser Green project for development and will vote on it sometime this month (ironically not advertised the open meeting to the public as usual). While they are both nice proposals, I see the "Hill" situation all over again. The Overholser Green proposal incorporates NO retail, hotel or any other aspect other than high end condos starting at $350,000 on up. The Mercy Park proposal is much nicer and includes retail at street level, a boutique hotel (think the Waterford only this will serve Heritage Hills and Mesta Park instead of Nichols Hills), condos, and rental apartments. This is clearly the choice for long term sustainability. I'm guessing as usual, they have personal interests in the Overholser Green project, just like they did with the "Hill at Bricktown" that is really in Deep Deuce. Which by the way, look how slow that project has been coming along compared to the others.

If anyone knows anyone on Urban Renewal or can call, email, etc. Now is the time to let our voices be heard again.

Pete
03-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Here we go again.

I agree that Mercy Park would be better for the community, which is a factor OCURA never seems to even consider.

In addition, I simply can't believe there is a strong market for ultra-expensive condos in that area. I wonder how many units have been pre-sold at The Hill? You can bet not many, as they are moving very slowly and their first phase is quite small.

I'm sure there are some empty-nesters that would prefer something brand new and low-maintenance, but for most that are interested in that area, there are beautifully restored homes in Heritage Hills for less than $300K.

metro
03-07-2007, 10:09 AM
You said it right Malibu, and as I mentioned earlier, the key is LONG TERM SUSTAINABILITY, which OCURA clearly can't grasp. What happens after only a handful of high end 350K-1million condos don't sell? We're stuck with an expensive eyesore that had so much potential and long term viability if they'd incorporate retail, residential, rentals, and a boutique hotel, perfect for Heritage Hill guests or St. Anthony guests. I sware it urks me how unnoticed OCURA is able to get by in this modern day and age with all the technology we have and media latching onto things. Oklahoman is too coward to uncover stuff like this. I wish the Mid City Advocate would step up to the plate.

writerranger
03-07-2007, 10:20 AM
You said it right Malibu, and as I mentioned earlier, the key is LONG TERM SUSTAINABILITY, which OCURA clearly can't grasp. What happens after only a handful of high end 350K-1million condos don't sell? We're stuck with an expensive eyesore that had so much potential and long term viability if they'd incorporate retail, residential, rentals, and a boutique hotel, perfect for Heritage Hill guests or St. Anthony guests. I sware it urks me how unnoticed OCURA is able to get by in this modern day and age with all the technology we have and media latching onto things. Oklahoman is too coward to uncover stuff like this. I wish the Mid City Advocate would step up to the plate.

Amen. OCURA needs some sunshine in a bad way. This is something that the mayor could have rectified, but instead chose to reappoint. VERY disappointing. Maybe his biggest mistake as mayor. Someone willing to clean up OCURA would win the support of a lot of people.

------------------------------

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Is there anything we can do about this??

Pete
03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Even if there was a market for these things, OCURA's express purpose is to do what's best for OKC.

How on earth does buidling exclusive housing developments with absolutely no benefit to anyone other than the residents serve this purpose???

And furthermore, if there was such a need for these types of dwellings why are they only being proposed on OCURA properties? Why aren't these developers doing what Banta and Tanenbaum have done, just at a higher end?

I'll tell you why: They want the help of the government to take care of all the dirty work for them, then they swoop in and make big profits.

Otherwise, why aren't Wiggin, Hogan & Canfield building other than on OCURA property? You notice McDermid, Ellard, Humphreys, Banta and Tanenbaum have all come up with business models that work with or without OCURA. And how ironic is it that it's these projects that are actually going to help the overall community?

If anything, the innovative and community-minded developers are being expressly excluded by OCURA and THEN have to compete with these OCURA-backed projects.

Sometimes, it just defies belief.

BG918
03-07-2007, 05:26 PM
When is the meeting so we can have our voices heard? I would like to go if at all possible.

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 06:20 PM
I would go.

metro
03-07-2007, 06:26 PM
When is the meeting so we can have our voices heard? I would like to go if at all possible.

BG, that is the thing, no one knows, they don't advertise to the public even though they are required to and supposed to. They basically operate behind closed doors even though they are a public agency. Here is their contact info, looks like its time again for us to blast them with emails/phone calls and hopefully find out and show up at the next meeting. Joe Van Bullard is in charge.

Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority
204 N Robinson Ave Ste 2400
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

(405) 235-3771

Steve L., any help on this? At least with contact info or possibly finding out when the meeting is. I noticed last meeting they had they had a very small press release in the Daily Disappointment but it was the day of the meeting when they ran it and the meeting was like at 8:30am. Enough to cover their butts, but not enough notice for anyone to attend.

Spartan
03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I actually think Overholser Green is the better proposal.

We want unique development. Not carbon copy urban development. Yes, even urban development can be cookie cutter.

SpectralMourning
03-07-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Spartan. I think the proposal could attract desired tenants and be a pretty well-established OKC landmark.

I would definitely love to see a Mercy Park. Hopefully we land the convention center/hotel idea first, though. While we obviously have the need for rooms, I share the concern that the Mercy Park proposal alone would sink the idea of having a new high rise due to over-saturation concerns. Then again, maybe we can have our Mercy Park with the Bricktown Village, less the hotel.

We need a new tallest!

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 07:45 PM
How would Mercy Park affect the possibilites of a new high rise? If there is anything that is oversaturated, it's $300,000+ condos.

Spartan
03-07-2007, 08:10 PM
They're both great proposals, my friends.

They would beat a big box Bass Pro 100-1.

BG918
03-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Either way both will be good urban projects but I just like the mixed-use component of Mercy Park better, just like I liked TAP's proposal for The Hill better than the one that is being built. Still good to see urban residential development of any kind though. I'm still holding out for that highrise too. I hope in the next year or so the rumored highrise office tower is announced in the CBD and a new highrise hotel/condo tower is proposed for the redevelopment site by the Ford Center.

Spartan
03-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Okay this proposal is a helluva lot better than The Hill, which by the way, has been downgraded from 19x townhomes to like 157 or something like that, after they won OCURA over with a last-minute behind-the-scenes dirty TIF retraction that TAP would have reciprocated if they had known of the action, which occurred literally hours before the final decision.

This is NOT going to be another Bass Pro or Elliot Park. Though frankly in the Bass Pro incident, Moshe Tal didn't really have stellar finances. Really, Anthony McDermid is the only body that lay in the wake of OCURA's ineptitude.

And the loser of this RFP won't be a victim either. Just a loser. Both are great projects, but the proposal site is practically IN Heritage Hills for chrissakes.

Yes it's in Midtown too. But let's encourage a transition for 13th Street, and vibrant mixed-use for 12th-5th streets.

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 10:45 PM
I agree the architecture is nicer on the Overholser Green proposal. If they do indeed choose that one, I hope Ellard will do her project or something very similar somewhere else in downtown. Just like Coury took his loss of the Skirvin bid as an opportunity to do the same thing with the Colcord, which I think fits the boutique hotel better anyway with it's smaller size. And we got two GREAT hotels out of it. I hope the same happens here.

MIKELS129
03-08-2007, 03:30 AM
I'm not sure we should spend 3.5 million in TIF on Overholser Green 109 luxury residences for our rich, when we can get a whole lot more for 1.8 million in TIF for a whole lot more including badly needed extra parking for the Midtown area (504 vs 218). Also Mercy Park is not a phased proposal. Actually I don't really know how you can phase underground parking effectively, but that is what Overholser Green proposes to do and not landscape until the development is complete. What a eyesore that will be, ugh!

sdsooners
03-08-2007, 05:55 AM
Does anybody have any links or pictures to what McDermid wanted to do in place of the Hill? I dont remember anything about that proposal.

Thanks.

Pete
03-08-2007, 08:06 AM
How is Overholser Green any better than The Hill?

If anything, O.G. is offering even more exclusive units ($350k to $750K) and is asking more in TIF funds ($3.5M).

The buildings look nice but so does Ellard's project.

Plus, Ellard & Co. are already investing in the area with the Seiber renovation.

The simple truth is that twice in a row now, OCURA has had two quality mixed-use developments offered by very reputuable and forward-thinking developers and has instead chosen expensive, condo-only projects.

I ask again: How does exclusive condominiums for the rich -- partially underwritten by tax dollars -- benefit the community??

BDP
03-08-2007, 11:28 AM
How does exclusive condominiums for the rich -- partially underwritten by tax dollars -- benefit the community??

That's the question OCURA should ask of every developer: How does this benefit the community? They should always try and maximize public benefit in any situation where public dollars are involved. I think a good case has been made that Overholser Green does exactly the opposite.

writerranger
03-08-2007, 11:46 AM
That's the question OCURA should ask of every developer: How does this benefit the community?

I agree, but too many on OCURA are busy asking, "How does this benefit my wallet?"

---------------

metro
03-08-2007, 12:53 PM
That's the question OCURA should ask of every developer: How does this benefit the community? They should always try and maximize public benefit in any situation where public dollars are involved. I think a good case has been made that Overholser Green does exactly the opposite.

Exactly BDP!!!! Don't listen to Spartan as I think his posts speak for themselves including when he was SoonerRiceGrad. How does giving millions of OUR tax dollars to people who can afford a half million dollar second or third home have the best interest of the entire community at heart? It doesn't plain and simple. At least by having a small (less than 100 room hotel), service and retail businesses, rentals, and for sale units benefits different segments and a more diverse section of the community. I don't think this will effect a new tower going up downtown, if anything it will help create a greater desire to be downtown. I live just a few blocks from here and personally if the Overholser Green project gets built (and unfortunately probably will), I will never have a reason to go there, unless I get invited to some rich shin dig. If the Mercy Park gets built, I can use the florist, dry cleaners, sidewalk cafe, and when I have guests from out of state visit, it will be very convenient to have them stay there just a few blocks away instead of on NW Expressway or something.

writerranger
03-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Exactly BDP!!!! Don't listen to Spartan as I think his posts speak for themselves including when he was SoonerRiceGrad. How does giving millions of OUR tax dollars to people who can afford a half million dollar second or third home have the best interest of the entire community at heart? It doesn't plain and simple. At least by having a small (less than 100 room hotel), service and retail businesses, rentals, and for sale units benefits different segments and a more diverse section of the community. I don't think this will effect a new tower going up downtown, if anything it will help create a greater desire to be downtown.

Agree. 100%.

-------------------

metro
03-08-2007, 01:03 PM
I called the Good Ole Boys just a minute ago. Very secretative and didn't want to talk about anything on the phone as usual. Ok folks here we go, I finally pried the information out of them, after reluctantly giving it to me. His answer to everything was "we give information in accordance to state law". I wonder what the state law is regarding OCURA. The undisclosed gentleman also says they let the media know 2-3 days in advance. I also asked him about why they don't let the public know more about their business and Open Records Act, etc. His same canned "we do in accordance to state law answer". He also mentioned they are too old fashioned and good ole boy old fashioned way when I asked him about getting a website. The meeting in which they are voting on this proposal is on:

Urban Renewal meeting
March 28th at 2:00pm
Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority
204 N Robinson Ave Suite 2400 (City Place building)
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
(405) 235-3771

Please be there if at all possible and voice your concerns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also please feel free to call them frequently and let them know how you feel before the vote on the 28th!!

jbrown84
03-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Unfortunately I can't be there at that time. Of course it figures they would set it in the the middle of the work day.

metro
03-08-2007, 01:55 PM
as always, otherwise if they advertised it and had it at a convenient time, the public might be aware of it and actually show up.

BDP
03-08-2007, 02:16 PM
1) I bet it moves before that date

and

2) They'll all have "dinner" together and commit their votes before the real meeting.

Pete
03-08-2007, 04:50 PM
and/or

3) They'll make a new rule at the very last minute and only communicate it to the party they want to select.

Spartan
03-08-2007, 05:14 PM
I have attended OCURA meetings before and there is nothing secretive about the way that the conduct business.

writerranger
03-08-2007, 05:28 PM
I have attended OCURA meetings before and there is nothing secretive about the way that the conduct business.

Spartan: That's ridiculous. They are the epitome of a shadowy group. The way they do business is spelled c-o-r-r-u-p-t. But, I understand your need to be different and shocking. I don't really understand it, but I know to expect it.

Is your own forum a little slow tonight?

---------

Spartan
03-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Sorry, you're taking potshots at me. But since you asked, yes, we are a little slow tonight.

Since I don't like having potshots taken at me, I'll just go back to pretending that the SKY IS FALLING.

metro
03-08-2007, 08:46 PM
And Spartan, I've attended OCURA meetings as well, in fact the ones regarding "The Hill" and believe you me shady stuff went down.

Pete
03-12-2007, 10:02 AM
I would personally love to stay in a small, nice hotel in Midtown and be able to walk the historic neighborhoods and down to Plaza Court and the various restaurants around there.

In many ways, it would a nice alternative to staying downtown.

No matter what happens here, I hope a hotel or two gets developed in the area.

okclee
03-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Although I personally like the "Mercy Park" submittal.

I think that right now the City of Okc wants to concentrate more on adding rooms to the central part of downtown, near the Cox and Ford Center or in Bricktown. It seems as though I remember Mayor Mick talking about getting as many rooms downtown as possible so that we could take the next step in luring larger conventions and or events to downtown Okc. (This is just my opinion.)

The Old Downtown Guy
03-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Spartan: That's ridiculous. They are the epitome of a shadowy group. The way they do business is spelled c-o-r-r-u-p-t. ---------

I have to admit that I have made some pretty over the top comments on this forum, but I'm more than a little taken aback by your post. Generally, stating that corruption exists implies that bribes are being taken. A proper definition could also be a lack of moral character or that there is rot to the core. I can't imagine that you really mean that bribes are being taken, so would you define corrupt in your own words and let us know which members you deem corrupt and why?

Pete
03-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Neighbors chime in on use of old Mercy site
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record
3/22/2007

Journal Record Photo
OKLAHOMA CITY – Two sets of developers have had their say on what they would like to see at the former Mercy Hospital site in Oklahoma City’s Midtown. But two of the site’s closest neighbors are also speaking out about what they wouldn’t mind looking at every day on the now-vacant land that was the hospital site.

The 3.2-acre site is between NW 13th and NW 14th streets and Dewey and Walker avenues.

Two proposals are on the table with the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal commissioners. Both developers gave their presentations at the OCURA meeting in February.

A proposal by Chuck Wiggin and David Huffman, as Overholser Green, calls for a $62 million condominium project. The other proposal by Marva Ellard, Paul Iser, Robert Magrini, as Mercy Redevelopers, calls for a $45 million project to include rental units, a retail element and a hotel.

Sister Veronica Higgins, principal of Villa Teresa School, is one of the site’s neighbors to the west.

The school has been in its building at 1216 Classen Dr., since 1951. Higgins has been at the school since 1973.

Higgins said she was contacted by Ellard a few weeks after the project was presented to the commissioners. She said she has not been contacted by anyone from the Overholser project. Looking at the recent growth and development in Midtown, Higgins said a project to bring people back to the area will benefit the neighborhood and the school.

“I really am wanting to have facilities that will encourage families to move into the downtown area,” she said. “I think that will bring a whole new life to Oklahoma City.”

When OCURA issued a request for proposals for the site, one of the directives was that the property should be developed as primarily residential with the option for some limited office and retail space.

Higgins said she was impressed with the Mercy Park plan but welcomes the possibility of any new use for the site.

In January OCURA formed a technical review committee made up of various interests in the Midtown and downtown areas and the group determined the Overholser plan would be the most compatible for the site.

Marianne Vannatta, a resident of Heritage Hills for more than 30 years, served on the 10-member committee.

Vannatta said she has been interested in the site for many years, especially after its decline when Mercy hospital relocated.

She said while the commissioners did not have to take any of their recommendations into consideration, she appreciated being able to represent the neighborhood.

“I want to make sure that whatever the Urban Renewal Authority endorses has a high chance of success,” she said. “That it is visually attractive, and that we don’t find that it becomes abandoned a few years down the road.”

She also said she was concerned that 13th Street was not ready for a retail element and that it could negatively affect other retail in the area, specifically at Greg Banta’s Plaza Court.

Vannatta did say, however, that while she endorsed the Overholser project she was concerned about the condo units’ price point, which would have to be justified with more data.

But one of the site’s other neighbors, Mark Christian, lead minister at the First Unitarian Church, said he has several reservations about the Overholser proposal. The church has been at the corner of NW 13th Street and Dewey Avenue since 1927.

Christian said he sought out both development groups, who in turn gave their presentations at the church.

After hearing both plans, Christian said he favored the Mercy Park proposal because it would make some additional parking available for the church as well as provide more affordable housing options.

With limited parking at the church, Christian said the members often park their cars on the street and on the grass at the Mercy site.

“Parking is a real problem for us here,” he said. “We have a sanctuary that’s listed as seating 400 and we have 22 parking places.”

Christian also said the Midtown area has a diverse group of residents who would not be served by high-dollar housing.

“The significant concern, naturally, that I raise is sociological at some level,” he said. “And that is targeting more housing that’s going to run on average a half million dollars or more.

“There could be a lack of some of the depth of this neighborhood by simply putting in housing that will probably appeal to the upper one percent of Oklahoma City’s income,” Christian said.

In his proposal in February, however, Wiggin defended the plan to build condos, which would sell for $350,000 to $800,000.

Wiggin told the commissioners that last year there were 713 single-family home sales in Oklahoma County in excess of $350,000. He said the project would hopefully benefit from that 5 percent of the market that could afford to buy one of the 109 proposed units.

A final decision could come as early as next week. Urban Renewal has its next meeting scheduled for March 28.

metro
03-22-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm going to try and make it to the meeting and put my two cents in although they've probably already decided on the worse of the two proposals. Anyone else going to make it? I'd like to hear St. Anthony's input. I'm sure they'd agree their workers would use the hotel, retail , and the service businesses from the Mercy Park proposal

Pete
03-22-2007, 10:10 AM
I'd love to know who's on their advisory panel. Of course, the HH homeowners are going to want the most expensive units possible to shore up their own home values and certainly don't want retail or anything else that generates traffic.

Seems to me that Mercy Park could drop the retail if that's a concern -- after all there will be plenty of other places for that very near by -- but their lower-priced units and inclusion of a hotel make their proposal way more desirable from an overall community standpoint.

Regarding corruption on OCURA... I don't believe they are necessarily taking payoffs and/or kickbacks. But I do know that it's chairman, Stanton Young, has a strong bias towards upscale residential units and stated so in the debate over the The Hill property. Why? Because his father and entire family are major benefactors of the OUHSC -- Stanton Young Blvd. is the main street in that complex -- and he wants housing for research scientists and physicians.

In fact, it was his debate and ultimate vote that swayed The Hill towards Canfield & Co. -- Canfield owns a large biotech concern at the HSC -- even though by Roberts Rules of Order, a Chairman should never engage in debate on a motion.

OCURA had actually hired a consulting firm that recommended McDermid's proposal, yet Young effectively overruled that idea.

So, I believe this type of influence and agenda is what continues to drive the decision-making at OCURA. And I certainly don't think taking the exclusive condo complex path is in the best interest of OKC in the long-term.

HOT ROD
03-22-2007, 11:29 AM
We DEFINITELY need the development that has the rental, hotel, and retail use for the site.

BANTA's midtown development will be fine - this would actually BENEFIT from having a hotel and retail options close to his development!!!!! Not to mention the additional residents the rental units would provide.

We need to start having some large scale URBAN developments in the N. 36th to S. 25/Commerce inner city area - and the Mercy rental/hotel/retail option is THE WAY to go here!!!!

I wish I could attend, but METRO (and others), please use any of my suggestions at the meeting as your own.

I dont understand why Vannetta and others dont see the benefit of having an URBAN development on the site would benefit her, Banta, and MIDTOWN in giving MORE OPTIONS instead of closing the area OUT with high priced and unnecessary condos. BANTA is putting in condo's for heaven's sake - we need RETAIL and HOTELS and to my knowledge, MIDTOWN HAS NO HOTELS.

This should be a "no brainer". A hotel, so close to downtown but in a "hoppin" neighbourhood such as MidTown; you're removed from the central city but still in the centre of all the action -----

This would give us MORE OPTIONS, and is direly needed!!!

metro
03-27-2007, 09:59 AM
This was in today's paper. If you can make it PLEASE ATTEND (DougDawg, others). Unfortunately I won't be able to make it as attended due to something coming up at the last minute I can't get out of. Please voice our concerns that the public wants more retail and a hotel! Thanks Steve L for the article.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

A big decision awaits Oklahoma City Urban Renewal commissioners Wednesday, and as things stand now, the agency risks fueling public perception it isn't open enough in its awarding of major development deals.

The public rarely attends urban renewal meetings, and with good reason. Urban renewal's meeting schedules are not posted on the city's Web site, City of Oklahoma City | News (http://www.okc.gov), even though the site does list meeting times for the zoo trust, airport trust, riverfront trust and housing authority.

So unless you've been involved in downtown's development, you may not know that there's a Wednesday meeting, for example. The meeting will start at 2 p.m. in Suite 2400 at 204 N Robinson Ave., City Place Tower. If you were inclined to attend, you'd need to arrive early, because the small board room almost always runs out of seating without the presence of a curious public.

The last-minute nature of these meetings is not intentional. Because the commission's membership is a who's-who of downtown leaders — Larry Nichols, chairman of Devon Energy Corp., Fred Hall, former chairman of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce, Russell Perry, publisher of the Black Chronicle, Stanton Young, a chairman emeritus of the Presbyterian Health Foundation, and Jim Tolbert, downtown property owner and a leading advocate for the Myriad Gardens and Stage Center — scheduling can be challenging.

Likewise, the agency's director Joe Van Bullard is often pressed to add last minute items to meeting agendas.

But more than once, I've heard from architects, downtown residents and others who feel deprived of the chance to comment on pending developments before the deals are completed.

Such could be the case leading into this week's agenda, which won't be officially ready until 2 p.m. today — as allowed by law. But barring a last-minute change, we do know the meeting is set to start with a vote on designating a developer feeting is set to start with a vote on designating a developer for the former Mercy hospital site at NW 13 and Walker. The competing proposals for what is one of the last large undeveloped swaths of land controlled by Urban Renewal represent two very different directions for the MidTown district.

Wiggin Properties, led by veteran developer and real estate broker Chuck Wiggin, proposes a $62 million complex, Overholser Greens, that would consist of four towers built four to eight stories high above a 220-space underground garage.

The 109 units would sell for between $350,000 and $800,000.

The competing $48.3 million bid by Mercy Park LLC, led by Sieber Hotel developers Marva Ellard and Robert Magrini, along with electrical contractor M. Paul Iser, proposes 111 apartments, 22 for-sale condominiums priced less than $200,000 each, retail facing NW 13, and a 72-room hotel all built above a 305-space garage.

Urban Renewal commissioners have as a guide a citizen's review report that recommends Overholser Greens, praising it for complementing Heritage Hills neighborhood to the north and criticizing Mercy Park because it includes apartments and retail.

But a look at the membership of the citizen's committee shows that while it includes a longtime resident of Heritage Hills, it doesn't include anyone from MidTown.

The Mercy site is in MidTown — not Heritage Hills.

Greg Banta, who is developing more than 30 properties in MidTown and is one of the district's most influential voices, isn't taking sides and was not invited to participate in the review.

But he questions the citizen group's comments against retail. He wonders — isn't mixed retail what urban development is all about?

Other opinions are surely out there. But will they get heard before the deal is done?

Pete
03-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Great article by Steve!

I'm so glad someone in the media is finally calling out this group, albeit in a nice and somewhat understated way.

He's too kind about the last-minute meetings due to scheduling conflicts... Every large concern has board meetings that feature extremely busy and influencial people and providing advance notice and organizing agendas is standard operating procedure. OCURA is no different in this regard than thousands of other organizations who manage to communicate and conduct regular open meetings. And why meet in such a small room? There is only one possible answer to that.

And as I suspected, is sounds like their 'advisory group' is nothing more than a bunch of hand-picked people that have no real stake in Midtown. How could you expect any other recommendation from a group of Heritage Hills home owners? What about people that own businesses in the area (like St. Anthony's) that need housing for it's workers and hotel rooms for it's visitors and guests?

But I suspect that was the point. If you poll the wealthiest home owners in any given area, you'll never get anything but approval for more expensive homes. Do you think residents of Nichols Hills would be for the massive expansion of CHK, for example?

Patrick
03-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Here's the original article from December.

http://static.newsok.biz/article/2983327/biz-d9mercy13th_12-09-2006_JL1QALE.jpg

MidTown housing proposals unveiled
Development could bring condominiums, business

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

The old Mercy Hospital site in MidTown could become upscale condominiums or a mix of apartments, condominiums, retail and a hotel if one of two competing proposals unveiled Friday are accepted by the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority.

The agency issued a request for proposals earlier this year for the property at NW 13 and Walker, which was cleared in 2002.
Proposals submitted were:
•Mercy Park: 111 apartments; 22 for-sale condominiums; 23,725 square feet for restaurants and shops; and a 72-room hotel. The development would be built above a 305-space underground garage. The development group is Mercy Developers, consisting of Marva Ellard and Robert Magrini (who are renovating the nearby Sieber Hotel) and electrical contractor and housing developer M. Paul Iser. The estimated development cost is $48.3 million and the developers are seeking $1.8 million in tax increment financing.
•Overholser Green: 109 condominiums built in a series of four- to eight-story buildings above an approximately 220-space garage.
The developer is Wiggin Properties, which owns the 101 Park Ave. building and is converting the Mayo office building in downtown Tulsa into housing.
The estimated development cost is $61.3 million and the developers are seeking $3.5 million in tax increment financing.
Urban Renewal executive director JoeVan Bullard said a cursory review Friday indicated both developments are within guidelines set by the agency’s request for proposals.
"We wanted some housing in there,” Bullard said.
"We’re not looking for offices. But it can be a mixed urban development with housing. So that opens it up for a heavy mix like that being proposed by Marva Ellard or to just housing like that being proposed by Chuck Wiggin.”
David Huffman, a partner in Wiggin Properties, said Overholser Green is intended to reflect on the spirit of nearby Heritage Hills and one of the city’s early prominent families.
"It is a name that reflects the quality of the project, the neighborhood history, and the background of Overholser being one of the founders of Oklahoma City,” Huffman said.
"This really is in the Heritage Hills neighborhood and the Overholser Mansion was one of the charter homes in Heritage Hills.”
Overholser Green would include flats, all accessible by elevators, with underground parking.
The complex would include four buildings, three built four stories high, a third at NW 12 and Walker at eight stories.
The design, by Architectural Design Group, calls for a classic style reminiscent of Regency architecture in Britain. Materials would include cast stone, stucco, ironwork and metal roofing
Prices would range between $340,000 and $742,000. The Wiggin proposal proposes paying $1 million for the property.
"What we’re proposing would be the nicest condominiums in Oklahoma City,” Huffman said.
The Mercy Park proposal calls for a restaurant, deli, shops and a grocery to face NW 13 between Dewey and Walker. Condominiums would face Walker while apartments would be built along NW 12 and Dewey. A hotel would be built in the center of the development, with underground parking serving the entire complex.
The buildings would range between three and six stories high.
"Our goal with all this is to design a project that has 24-hour-a-day life to it,” Ellard said. "It would allow employees of the medical institutions to live closer to work.”
Ellard said the market rate apartments would range between 900 and 1,200 square feet.
"We see them being leased by an RN who works at one of the hospitals who might send her child to Villa Teresa or a young couple who are just starting out.”
The design by Brad Lechtenberger and his firm Damen-Lechtenberger calls for the use of brick, stone, cast stone and glass for the facade, and window and door openings that mirror construction in the surrounding neighborhood.
"It’s designed after the commercial architecture of the 1920s and ’30s,” Ellard said. "It’s kind of like the small building portion of the Sieber Hotel and other buildings around downtown.”
Both projects are vastly different from a previous development proposal submitted by Nicholas Preftakes in 1998. The $11.8 million proposal, the first downtown area housing attempted by Urban Renewal in 20 years, called for 16 two-story town houses, 72 city villas and 52 apartments.
The project was cancelled in 2002 after Urban Renewal commissioners refused a request by Preftakes to acquire a duplex just south of the site. That duplex, once criticized by neighbors as a public nuisance, is now being renovated into law offices.
Ellard and Huffman agreed the Mercy Hospital site has grown in value in the past decade. Ellard noted many of the area’s problem properties are now being renovated by developer Greg Banta. "You have St. Anthony development, the health science area, the energy downtown, and this property is in the center of three,” Huffman said. "They are three major employment bases for Oklahoma City. It’s a great site.”

CCOKC
03-27-2007, 10:55 AM
I also commend the article by Steve. It looks like this forum has had an influence on him and may be a real engine for change in the way city politics is run. Education is the key and I want to thank all of the people here who do the leg work to keep us informed. Hooray!

Patrick
03-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I also praise Steve. He's finally telling the truth about OCURA, doing it in a factual way. At least everyone now knows when the meeting is. But beware, the time still may change. LOL!

And of course Heritage Hills homeowners want the more expensive housing. It increases their property values. But high priced condos, don't help the community any. We need more retail downtown and midtown. A mix of development is more urban in nature and the way we need to go.

Also, the apartments would be great for young professionals at St. Anthony, students at the OUHSC and OCU, etc. And what about lab techs at the Research Park? We're always talking about benefiting the Research Park. Well, it's only the select few research scientists that can afford those wealthy homes. The majority of those that work at the Research park are lab techs, that would fit nicely into apartments at the development.

Pete
03-27-2007, 11:38 AM
I also think it's time to re-think the composition of OCURA.

All those people are important in the community but honestly... What do any of them know about urban planning?

I also think we need someone other than Joe Van Bullard to run that organization. Why not someone with a background in urbanism from a city that has done this sort of thing right (like Denver, for example)?

Why not have at least one member that doesn't live in OKC (or has recently moved here) so we get a broader perspective?

jbrown84
03-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Is Bullard on full-time payroll? If it's a hired position, I would definitely like to see someone brought in with good experience in this area, and a degree in urban planning which I doubt he has.

Patrick
03-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Is Bullard on full-time payroll? If it's a hired position, I would definitely like to see someone brought in with good experience in this area, and a degree in urban planning which I doubt he has.

Yes, he's hired by OCURA. And he's not any worse than the lady he replaced, whose name I cannot remember.

Pete
03-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Bullard was previously an assistant city manager in OKC. I believe he's worked as a civil servant in the city for quite some time.

And yes, he's a full-time employee.

Anyone know who appoints the Director of OCURA, who he reports to and how the commission members are chosen?

metro
03-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Just wanted to remind everyone the meeting is here in less than 2 hours at 2pm. If you can make it please attend and voice your concerns. Doug here is your "formal invitation". The post has been going on awhile now and you can scroll back for all the details. It's open to the public, please all who can make it attend!!! I'm sure Steve Lackmeyer will be there. If you can't make it, make a quick phone call and voice your concerns!!

metro
03-28-2007, 11:23 AM
you can still call them jbrown, I just did and their conveniently "hard to catch" according to the secretary, although when I call them a week or two before a meeting, I sure can seem to get them, but they always seem to disappear the day of a meeting. I left Good Ole Boy Joe Van Bullard (executive director) a voicemail voicing my concerns.

John
03-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Surprise, surprise! Wiggin & Overholser Green get the nod... :rolleyes:

The good news is that the Mercy Park group still wants to go ahead with their development and are looking for a different site in Midtown to do so. :congrats:

metro
03-28-2007, 07:57 PM
The sad news is OCURA still sucks! Amazing sheerly phenomenal how the local media as well as the city council and Mayor Cornett allow them to go under their radar. Although I'm excited about Mercy Park still wanting to build, there aren't many vacant lots available for such construction. Perhaps the one directly west of the Physicians building at 11th and Francis? That is the only vacant lot in Midtown I can really think of that would work.

MIKELS129
03-28-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm just guessing but I heard St. Anthony was very interested in her project.... and they have land.:gossip:

urbnchic
03-28-2007, 08:11 PM
any results from today's meeting?

wsucougz
03-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Did any of you attend the meeting? Anyone boo?

metro
03-28-2007, 08:25 PM
urbnchic, if you scroll up you will see that John mentioned Overholser Green got the project. (booooo). If no one attended or doesn't post any more details, I'm sure Steve Lackmeyer will be doing an article in the next day or two.

Spartan
03-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Anyone boo?

Certainly not. You know well where I stand on the issue, Cougz...

writerranger
03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
The sad news is OCURA still sucks! Amazing sheerly phenomenal how the local media as well as the city council and Mayor Cornett allow them to go under their radar. Although I'm excited about Mercy Park still wanting to build, there aren't many vacant lots available for such construction. Perhaps the one directly west of the Physicians building at 11th and Francis? That is the only vacant lot in Midtown I can really think of that would work.

Unbelievable, isn't it? Metro, do you know if we could tape (audio or video) their meetings? It is a public meeting, right?

------------

metro
03-28-2007, 08:31 PM
I don't know, even though they're a public agency they're so secretive and don't post the public documents even though they are supposed to be made available. I do know the mayor can appoint people to the council, etc. I'm so fed up after this latest screw up that I'm thinking about meeting with Mick about OCURA as well as this latest parking scandal. Where does the buck stop at? Apparently no where in OKC lately. Really discouraging dispite the mostly positive things going on.

Spartan
03-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Oh this is ridiculous.

You two's carrying on about this is really tarnishing your credibility. OCURA is nothing more than a bunch of civic makers and shakers with extremely tough schedules who know nothing about urban development for the most part, but try their best to serve the interest of the community.

Corrupt? Gimme a break. Many of the people who serve on this board are the ones that gave you guys NBA basketball. All of them are heavily, heavily invested in the downtown community.

The only thing that's corrupt here is the boy who cried wolf. As for Overholser Green, it was the correct proposal to choose for the site. I am delighted that Marva Ellard is still interested in going somewhere with Mercy Park ... perhaps she can choose a site that is better for her proposal fitting in with the integrity of the urban district.

You can't have the exact same urban mixed-use project block after block like you guys would have us get. We won't see a lot of Overholser Green proposals, especially on the right site, so let's pass 'em when we get 'em.