View Full Version : Making a List: Upscale Retail

jbrown84
03-06-2007, 09:18 PM
I know we have had similar threads, but with so many upscale shopping centers going in around the metro (University North Park, The Village at Quail Springs, The Bridges at Spring Creek, The Falls, Covell/I-35), I thought it would be good to compile a comprehensive list of upscale retail we would like to see come to OKC. Perhaps we can use it to organize email campaigns. Let me know what you have to add.

Anchor Blue
Angelika Film Center
Anthropologie
Armani Exchange
Au Bon Pain
Bose
Cabela's
California Pizza Kitchen
Chipotle
Crate & Barrel
The Container Store
Dave & Buster's
Dick's Sporting Goods
Discovery Channel Store
Forever 21
Gucci
Guess
Haagen-Dazs
Levi's Store
Lord & Taylor
Lucky Brand Jeans
Nautica
Neiman Marcus
NikeTown
Nordstrom
Polo
Prada
REI
Restoration Hardware
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
Saks Fifth Avenue
Urban Outfitters
Whole Foods
Wild Oats

John
03-07-2007, 01:37 AM
la Madeline (http://www.lamadeleine.com/)

cas
03-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Forever 21 is opening this summer at Sooner Mall in Norman.

CMSturgeon
03-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Forever 21 is opening this summer at Sooner Mall in Norman.

Unimportant add on to the convo:

I am so excited. I check their site like once a week. Nice clothing, cheap prices, loved the store in the Galleria this weekend.

A Louis Vitton store would be big here but I dont see that happening. Oh, and Tiffany's and Kenneth Cole.

bandnerd
03-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Great list, I can't think of anything I'd like to add!

Though Dave and Busters, Crate and Barrel, Anthropologie, Whole Foods, Chipotle, and Lucky Brand hold a place in my heart.

Wait--no Trader Joe's? It's not "upscale" I guess but neither is Forever 21. I'd love a TJ's here!

Pete
03-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Here's some more:

Smith & Hawken
Trader Joes
Diesel
Claimjumper
Sur la Table
Houston’s
Corner Bakery
Sports Chalet
Adidas
Jos A. Bank
Brooks Brothers
Z Gallerie
Urban Home
Sony Style
Tourneau
Burberry
Chanel
Coach
Cole Haan
H&M
Oliver Peoples
Sephora
Tiffany & Co.
Rainforest Café
Wolfgang Puck

metro
03-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I'd LOVEEEEEEE to see a Metropark here. Metropark - Fashion. Music. Art. (http://www.metroparkusa.com)

bandnerd
03-07-2007, 10:13 AM
We already have a Sephora, Coach store, and several Joe A. Banks.

metro
03-07-2007, 12:57 PM
I believe you mean Jos. A. Banks and I think we only have one, maybe two at most?

y_h
03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I just have a few comments to make with respect to a number of the original suggestions:

Armani Exchange - Might be a good fit if 50 Penn ever gets going again.

Au Bon Pain - This chain has been a part of the Panera family for about 10 years, so I doubt they'd bring another brand into town.

Bose - Good fit for Penn Square Mall

Cabela's - I think they'd do well in OKC. We're getting our first one in St. Louis (only about 10 miles from Bass Pro, to boot) and it's going to be located at an outlet mall of all places.

California Pizza Kitchen - Perhaps a freestanding store in one of the new developments or up at Quail Springs. Pepperoni Grill's existence at Penn Square knocks that location out of the picture.

Chipotle - I think that would do well in OKC. They are opening up all over St. Louis and we already have Moes and Qdoba. Apparently there's plenty of room in the market for three burrito chains.

Crate & Barrel - I think this would be a great anchor tenant if someone wanted to redevelop the shopping arcade at 50 Penn.

Dave & Buster's - I think this would be a good Bricktown attraction.

Gucci - See Armani Exchange

Guess - Would go well in Penn Square

Haagen-Dazs - Meh. I prefer places like Marble Slab or Cold Stone

Levi's Store - There used to be one at Quail Springs Mall (this is going back to 1990). I certainly don't see why they couldn't go back there.

Lord & Taylor - Parent company Federated (soon to be renamed Macy's Group) is actually closing L&T's rather than expanding this brand. You've already got Macy's and they have the ability to tailor (no pun intended) their inventory to incorporate the same types of lines that L&T carries if the market will bear those lines.

Lucky Brand Jeans - See Armani Exchange.

Nautica - See Armani Exchange.

Neiman Marcus - Not a huge fan. I think the local independent, upscale boutiques cover most of Neiman's ground already and frankly Dallas isn't that far away or inconvenient for the lion's share of their target customer base.

NikeTown - I've never been impressed with the one in Chicago and frankly I don't think they carry very many items that can't be purchased in other stores.

Nordstrom - Most certainly should be in OKC. My guess is that they could easily anchor a development in Edmond and would do quite well there. I'm a huge fan.

Polo - See Armani Exchange

Prada - I think they'd be satisfied serving the OKC market through other upscale retailers.

REI - I think they'd do well in an upscale strip mall.

Restoration Hardware - This seems like a natural fit for Penn Square Mall. There's a wee bit of overlap with Pottery Barn but not enough to be an issue. A fun store to peruse for those who are unfamiliar.

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse - I've said before that this would be an excellent addition to the downtown scene, especially with the re-emergence of the Colcord and Skirvin as upscale business class hotels.

Saks Fifth Avenue - Probably a better option than Neiman, although if Nordstrom comes in, I doubt Saks would enter the market (and vice versa)

Urban Outfitters - Not my cup of tea, but perhaps a decent fit for Quail Springs.

Whole Foods - Most certainly a good fit for the market. I think one or two locations would do well. Ditto for Trader Joes -- the two chains can and do coexist.

Wild Oats - Not crazy about them. I think Whole Foods does a much better job.

scotplum
03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
la Madeline (http://www.lamadeleine.com/)

I was able to get some of la Madeline's tomato soup at Albertsons on 122nd and Rockwell the other day. Not sure if they had special ordered them for that time only or what. My fiancee is certainly with you on wanting a full blown la Madeline.

bandnerd
03-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Sorry, yeah, Jos. Typing during passing periods is tricky ;) Haha. And there's one in Penn Square as the hubby is completely attached to that store...and I think there's one in Tulsa. I know Tulsa doesn't really "count" but it's not that far.

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 02:02 PM
I believe you mean Jos. A. Banks and I think we only have one, maybe two at most?

One in Penn Square and one in Spring Creek Plaza. Not sure about Norman.

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Good commentary y_h, and I agree with a lot of it, although I don't see much changing for 50 Penn or Quail, or even Penn Square. I expect most new entries to the market will go to these new developments.

For example, Levi's may have been in Quail at one point, but now I believe they are more exclusive and would fit better at Penn or the new Simon outdoor mall at Covell & I-35.

CMSturgeon
03-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Dave and Busters...... what is that?

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Sort of an adult Chuck E. Cheese...

Dave & Busters :: Home Page (http://www.daveandbusters.com)

Decious
03-07-2007, 03:40 PM
One in Penn Square and one in Spring Creek Plaza. Not sure about Norman.

There is a Jos A. Bank Clothiers in Brookhaven Village on the west side of Norman. My girlfriend buys most of my suits there. I guess that makes three in all w/ Penn, Spring Creek, and BV.

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Yeah I was thinking there was one in Norman.

brianinok
03-07-2007, 04:36 PM
NORDSTROM!!!!

As you can see, I feel very strongly about this. :)

Superhyper
03-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Just FYI, Wild Oats is no more, It's been acquired by Whole Foods so they are one and the same now. My vote definitely goes to Urban Outfitters!

mranderson
03-07-2007, 05:20 PM
You missed several. Among them Gucci and Tiffany's.

BG918
03-07-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm really surprised either OKC or Norman never had a Wild Oats, I wonder why? There has been one in midtown Tulsa for several years now, and I guess it will become a Whole Foods? That will definitely please the people in Tulsa. I was also surprised OKC never had Saks Fifth Avenue or Nordstrom, both of those would be good fits in OKC maybe with Saks anchoring the "new" Nichols Hills shopping plaza on Western and Nordstrom downtown.

writerranger
03-07-2007, 05:55 PM
I would guess the best chance at most of these is through Simon. That would be either Penn Square or Covell/I-35. They are aggressive and I am sure already pitching hard for the new Covell/I-35 property. By the way, does it have a name yet?

--------------------------

floater
03-07-2007, 07:49 PM
On top of what's already been mentioned:

Van Heusen
IZOD
Dean & Deluca
Caribou Coffee
Pizzeria Uno
Maggiano's Little Italy
Il Fornaio
Home Depot EXPO Design Center
Ligne Roset
AIA Bookstore

mranderson
03-07-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm really surprised either OKC or Norman never had a Wild Oats, I wonder why? There has been one in midtown Tulsa for several years now, and I guess it will become a Whole Foods? That will definitely please the people in Tulsa. I was also surprised OKC never had Saks Fifth Avenue or Nordstrom, both of those would be good fits in OKC maybe with Saks anchoring the "new" Nichols Hills shopping plaza on Western and Nordstrom downtown.

That is because most people could care less about "organic" foods. They would rather spend their money wisley.

soonerliberal
03-07-2007, 09:39 PM
That is because most people could care less about "organic" foods. They would rather spend their money wisley.

While that is true for most people, there definitely is the market for those who feel eating organic foods is spending money wisely. I would say Whole Foods could do well in the Inner northside of the city and maybe even in the Nichols Hills area along with in Norman.

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 10:38 PM
maybe with Saks anchoring the "new" Nichols Hills shopping plaza on Western and Nordstrom downtown.

I always wondered why Nichols Hills Plaza never reached the upscale success of Utica Square. Perhaps what it is lacking is an anchor. I think the older, southern portion of it has a ton of charm.

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 11:02 PM
UPDATED LIST (my favorites in bold)

Adidas
AIA Bookstore
Anchor Blue
Angelika Film Center
Anthropologie
Armani Exchange
Au Bon Pain
Bose
Brooks Brothers
Burberry
Cabela's
California Pizza Kitchen
Caribou Coffee
Chanel
Chipotle
Claimjumper
Crate & Barrel
Cole Haan
The Container Store
Corner Bakery
Dave & Buster's
Dean & Deluca
Diesel
Dick's Sporting Goods
Discovery Channel Store
Gucci
Guess
H&M
Haagen-Dazs
Home Depot EXPO Design Center
Houston’s
Il Fornaio
IZOD
Kenneth Cole
la Madeleine
Levi's Store
Ligne Roset
Lucky Brand Jeans
Maggiano's Little Italy
Metropark
Nautica
Neiman Marcus
NikeTown
Nordstrom
Oliver Peoples
Pizzeria Uno
Polo
Prada
Rainforest Café
REI
Restoration Hardware
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
Saks Fifth Avenue
Smith & Hawken
Sony Style
Sports Chalet
Sur la Table
Tiffany & Co.
Tourneau
Trader Joe's
Urban Home
Urban Outfitters
Van Heusen
Which Wich
Whole Foods
Wolfgang Puck
Z Gallerie

Decious
03-08-2007, 07:33 AM
I like your list jbrown84! I'm most looking forward to having an Anthropologie and an Angelika Film Center. Chipotle has three restaurants in Wichita, KS, so it won't be long before they invade our market to the tune of 5 or 6 locations.

By the way, there is a Which Wich on Boyd in Norman. It's in Campus Corner a little east of Asp Avenue.

jbrown84
03-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Chipotle has locations in Topeka for crying out loud!

bandnerd
03-08-2007, 06:00 PM

Just because you don't care about buying this type of food doesn't mean that there aren't people out there who would visit this type of establishment. What's it to you? So they'd give Wal-Mart a little competition. I'd be happy to see it simply for more grocery diversity in this city.

jbrown84
03-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Leave it to andy to turn this thread into an argument.

urbnchic
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I was able to get some of la Madeline's tomato soup at Albertsons on 122nd and Rockwell the other day. Not sure if they had special ordered them for that time only or what. My fiancee is certainly with you on wanting a full blown la Madeline.

I am right there with your fiancee... la Madeline rocks!

What about Blue Mesa - mimosas on Sunday! :)

Stinger
03-14-2007, 08:25 AM
What about Automobile Alley for some of these? I could see Urban Outfitters, Restoration Hardware, Lucky or Levi's, etc. fitting in nicely down there. What kind of store would it take to get others in the mix?

urbnchic
03-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Restoration Hardware would be fab in Automobile Alley - anyone have those kind of connections!?!?

metro
03-14-2007, 09:57 AM
One more I thought of we don't have on our list. We need a Virgin Megastore

jbrown84
03-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Yes, I will add that and IKEA.

writerranger
03-14-2007, 07:20 PM
This certainly isn't upscale, but I wish we had Boston Market restaurants in Oklahoma City. It's very hard to eat healthy and eat healthy FAST. I am in Dallas right now and they sure are nice when I'm traveling to be able to pick up something healthy in a fast food kind of way.

----------------------------

John
03-14-2007, 08:09 PM
It's very hard to eat healthy and eat healthy FAST. I am in Dallas right now and they sure are nice when I'm traveling to be able to pick up something healthy in a fast food kind of way.

----------------------------

Speaking of that... Eatzi's!

| Eatzi's Easygoing Gourmet | (http://www.eatzis.com)

Mandy
03-14-2007, 11:49 PM
I was really disappointed to see there was no Saks/Neiman's or Whole Foods here when I moved here. The boutiques don't really interest me because most of their stuff is at saks and/or neiman's. I was glad to see a Sephora in Penn Square when I was looking at malls before I got here.

I see Chanel on the list, but someone told me there's a Chanel boutique in town? No? I was planning on trying to find it to get some new sunglasses this weekend.

All in all, everything is available online and I enjoy getting packages. I hate that there is no whole foods, though. :(

NE Oasis
03-15-2007, 06:38 AM

This statement from a man that would like to see Gucci's and Tiffany's come to town? You can't eat or wear a diamond!
Anyhoo - The old Edmond Walmart (33rd and Broadway) is supposed to be replaced with "upscale retail" although I haven't seen any list of prospective stores.

mranderson
03-15-2007, 07:38 AM
This statement from a man that would like to see Gucci's and Tiffany's come to town? You can't eat or wear a diamond!
Anyhoo - The old Edmond Walmart (33rd and Broadway) is supposed to be replaced with "upscale retail" although I haven't seen any list of prospective stores.

Yes. Often buying jewlery can BE a wise purchase. It is called an investment.

Tim
03-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Yes. Often buying jewlery can BE a wise purchase. It is called an investment.

Indeed, but the greatest investment one can make is a healthy body and mind. Recommended reading; Fast Food Nation. I assure you that organic foods will look a whooole lot smarter! As to the earlier Automobile Alley idea, Steve Schlegel is opening a new bicycle shop in that area in the next few weeks. It promises to be grand!

metro
03-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Tim, where did you get your information on the bike shop in AA? Is he a current bicycle shop owner? Please more information.

Tim
03-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Tim, where did you get your information on the bike shop in AA? Is he a current bicycle shop owner? Please more information.
Steve Schlegel is a longtime OKC area racer and shop owner. The Bicycle Store Too at 59th and Western is his, and it looks like he is planning to keep that location open and name his new shop in Automobile Alley "Schlegel Bicycles". I really hope he puts in a bagel shop as well so we can all have "Schlegels Bagels"!

metro
03-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Tim, I sure hope your right! That would be an awesome addition to downtown. Let's hope he markets it well!

Tim
03-15-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm sure it will be done well. After all, Steve DOES live in Edmond! He only deigns to conduct lowly business transactions in OKC.

Karried
03-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Smart man, probably why he lives in Edmond.. with the business incentives offered to own a business in OKC, he's probably saving some cash.

metro
03-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Tim, at first you had me excited, but your last comment was off. Lowly business transactions in OKC? Automobile Alley doesn't need a lowly business, we need nice one, somebody with vision.

Karried
03-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Tim was joking and referencing another thread where we were talking about Edmond.

Tim
03-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Tim, at first you had me excited, but your last comment was off. Lowly business transactions in OKC? Automobile Alley doesn't need a lowly business, we need nice one, somebody with vision.

Metro, babe, just playin'! I love downtown OKC! By way of apology, I'll throw this tidbit atcha. Yet ANOTHER bike shop is locating downtown. I'll have more info as to the owner and location soon. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa!

(Thanks for havin' my back Karried! At least SOMEBODY understands me besides anderson!)

metro
03-15-2007, 04:48 PM
No problem Tim, had I read your other thread you and Karried are referrencing, I'm sure I might have made the connection. But since I didn't and others didn't either, I wanted to clarify. Can't wait to hear more on these projects. Please keep us updated.