View Full Version : Dallas

Pages : [1] 2

CMSturgeon
03-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Anyone have some favorite experiences in Dallas, TX they want to share? Went down there this weekend just to get away for a bit. Skip to the bottom to ignore my story and answer the question, lol. (will post pics later)

Stayed at Prava Suites by the Galleria (former Hilton) with my hubby and a couple of friends. The hotel was really nice, I would recommend it to anyone going to Dallas that doesn't want to be directly down town. It was pricey, we all split the bill though. The price of the room was definitely worth the money. It was large, nice, and the guy at the front desk took us every where we wanted to go at 2 am. lol. He took the guys on multiple food and beer runs. The pool and hot tub were nice and the burgers from the menu were delicious.

We spent some time at the Galleria (my 1st time there), that was the biggest mall I've ever been in so far, was pretty neat. However, there was only one store in the mall that had reasonably or normal priced clothing. However, I did buy an OU koozie for only $7. Oddly enough OU gear was the cheapest thing there!

Saturday we went to the Lizard Lounge which is supposed to be the 2nd rated club in Dallas. Let me just say, I hope that's not true. The DJ was good, played strictly Techno and Dance, but there were about 300 people there and about 15 total were dancing. And that includes me and my 5 friends so yeah. There were go go dancers (pretty hot) and guys were just lining the floor standing there staring at them. Left there after dancing until I was about to fall over. That was the most eventful thing. OH and everyone smoked. When we got in the cab to leave the guy started driving then slammed on the brakes and demanded to know who was smoking in his cab. lol. None of us were, that is how bad we smelled. Oh and there were a lot of people there with glow lights, waving them in front of their faces. Can we say "on drugs?"

Oh we ate at Chipotle, that wasn't bad, except for the bum coming in off the street to ask everyone for money. Drank a margarita there that was about 4/6ths tequila, 2/6ths drink mix.

Someone has to give me an idea of the places to go to have a good time in Dallas (restaurants, attractions, bars, clubs)! And maybe a nice cab service as well if anyone has had a good experience with those.

What are you favorite things about Dallas and the easiest ways you recommend to get around? What was your fav. experience there?

jdsplaypin
03-05-2007, 02:36 PM
What is the top ranked club?

metro
03-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Why would you go to Dallas to do those things. You can do all of that here. The Galleria is nice but its not all that and certainly not a huge mall. The only reason to go to Dallas is for shopping at stores we currently don't have here, and even then I'd just do it online. You can stay at an extremely nice Skirvin or Colcord in downtown OKC or the Waterford Marriott and shop at upscale clothiers in Penn Square and keep your tax dollars here.

CMSturgeon
03-06-2007, 03:30 PM
The whole point was to not be here. Mini-vacation. While driving around lost I actually thought, "I could be at home with my dog right now."

jbrown84
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Well, there is a certain experiential element to shopping the upscale centers in Dallas. That's why we need to work to get as many of those stores here as possible downtown, in University North Park, The Bridges at Spring Creek, The Village at Quail Springs, and the Covell/I-35 project.

metro
03-06-2007, 03:39 PM
totally agree jbrown

CMSturgeon
03-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, there is a certain experiential element to shopping the upscale centers in Dallas. That's why we need to work to get as many of those stores here as possible downtown, in University North Park, The Bridges at Spring Creek, The Village at Quail Springs, and the Covell/I-35 project.

Me too. I loved being able to be in the mall without having 'wangsters' everywhere. lol. Penn Square is getting bad with that now and Quail is usually too far a drive if I'm going shopping. I dont even bother with Crossroads, I just get pissed off when I go there.

In reference to my posting regarding fist fights, I had asked what gets you to that point...... idiots 'acting hard' at the mall, that makes me want to just start a fight. And it's pretty sad they have to have police there at all times basically now. I just want to take a baseball bat and hit everyone in the face that pisses me off when I'm there.

Anyway, the Galleria wasn't like that, so that was nice. So no one really has a recommendation for somewhere in Dallas to eat or experience?

Oh and 'Purgatory' is supposed to be the #1 club in Dallas.

metro
03-06-2007, 07:06 PM
CM what is your reference for your list of top Dallas clubs?

writerranger
03-06-2007, 07:51 PM
I see nothing wrong with a weekend trip to Dallas. Why not? Everyone likes to getaway every now and then. No, the Dallas galleria isn't the HOUSTON Galleria (a monster), but it's okay. Visit The Legacy in Plano and see the future of the "urban burbs." Also, Ft. Worth is a great city. Talk about progress, that city is exploding. I certainly don't feel the need to stick around Oklahoma City all the time. DFW is the nearest major metropolitan area - it makes for a perfect weekend getaway. Take an extra 2 hours and Kansas City is another super weekender, though it may be best for a long three-day weekend. I doubt OKC will miss your tax dollars. I don't know though, you may get a knock on the door from the local sales-tax police.

-------------

metro
03-07-2007, 09:44 AM
I see nothing wrong with a weekend trip to Dallas. Why not? Everyone likes to getaway every now and then. No, the Dallas galleria isn't the HOUSTON Galleria (a monster), but it's okay. Visit The Legacy in Plano and see the future of the "urban burbs." Also, Ft. Worth is a great city. Talk about progress, that city is exploding. I certainly don't feel the need to stick around Oklahoma City all the time. DFW is the nearest major metropolitan area - it makes for a perfect weekend getaway. Take an extra 2 hours and Kansas City is another super weekender, though it may be best for a long three-day weekend. I doubt OKC will miss your tax dollars. I don't know though, you may get a knock on the door from the local sales-tax police.

-------------

I wouldn't necessarily say OKC wouldn't miss the tax dollars. In fact the weekend DFW getaway is common for thousands of Oklahoman's every weekend. Not to mention big events like OU-Texas, or the Texas Motor Speedway where tens of thousands of Oklahomans may flock down there on any given day. This adds up to tens of millions of tax dollars that DFW enjoys instead of Oklahoma. Just think how much better our roads and bridges, infrastructure, highway beautification would be with this extra money.

writerranger
03-07-2007, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say OKC wouldn't miss the tax dollars. In fact the weekend DFW getaway is common for thousands of Oklahoman's every weekend. Not to mention big events like OU-Texas, or the Texas Motor Speedway where tens of thousands of Oklahomans may flock down there on any given day. This adds up to tens of millions of tax dollars that DFW enjoys instead of Oklahoma. Just think how much better our roads and bridges, infrastructure, highway beautification would be with this extra money.

So - never go anywhere? Stay in your own backyard? So the other place doesn't get the tax dollars? That, (and it's just my opinion), is taking civic responsibility a little too far. If I spend 10 days in Dallas a year, that gives me 355 days a year to offer up OKC my sales tax dollars. This is a non-issue as far as living life to its fullest and enjoying weekend getaways.

---------------------------

metro
03-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I understand your point writeranger, and as usual, I agree with you. Perhaps I should have rephrased my post. I don't think it's healthy for an individuals or a city for it to "shelter" its residents. My point on that last one is that OKC does miss tax dollars. Some are understandable for a weekend getaway or something Oklahoma simply can't offer right now, however, there are still thousands of people who go to Texas, usually DFW to do things they can do right here at home like shop at common stores like Gap, Old Navy, etc. or say folks that live in Ardmore are about equally close to DFW and OKC. Many choose DFW because of the larger selection (and yes I like shopping some of the upscale stuff that can't be found anywhere in Oklahoma), however some of them do it for groceries, or stuff that can be bought here. That is where I think it is part of civic responsibility to get/spend money on those sorts of things here in state where it improves our infrastructure and educational systems, not Texas'. That is where they've got us beat.

dismayed
03-07-2007, 07:33 PM
If you like dance clubs try some of the ones on the Northwest Highway in the University Park area of Dallas. Lower Greenville Avenue is where it's at.

For food, try Uncle Julio's on Lemon in old downtown. Fantastic Mexican food. If you're brave, take the challenge and order a basket of their peppers and see if you can bite into one. The last time I was there I ate one whole, and then had the most unbearable numbing pain in my tongue and throat for the next 45 minutes. Not to mention sweat was just pouring from my face. If you think you've had hot food, give that a try... it may change your mind.

I personally like the Addison Galleria or any of the malls up in the Plano/Addison area a lot more than the Dallas Galleria. They're just so upscale.

Hey and while you're there swing by the only remaining Crystal's Pizza in the country. :)

Easy180
03-11-2007, 05:06 PM
ditto on Lower Greenville...10 or so bars lined up side by side...Usually no or just a small cover charge so you can easily check them all out

Several of them have rooftop bars, which are full in the spring and summer

RSA
03-16-2007, 10:48 PM
ditto on Lower Greenville...10 or so bars lined up side by side...Usually no or just a small cover charge so you can easily check them all out

Several of them have rooftop bars, which are full in the spring and summer

I used to run a bar on lower Greenville Ave. It is as lively as it has ever been. I spent most of my life in Dallas. One of the areas I would look check out is, Uptown. South of Travis and North of downtown on McKinney. lot's of shopping and fine restaurants. One of my favorite places for bruch is, the Meridian Room, by Fair Park. I go there everytime I am in Dallas. Also, don't forget the Dubliner, Old Monk, Ginger Man (for a gazillion different beers) Nick & Sam's and Javier's

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
03-16-2007, 11:18 PM
I usually stay in Grapevine at the Embassy Suites Bass Pro Outdoor World when I go to Dallas. The hotel is great because they have a free full breakfast buffet that includes a short order grill. There is also a manager’s reception in the bar every night where you get a free drink and free bar appetizers.

Grapevine Mills Mall is close by as well as several sit down type restaurants that they do not have in OKC. If you have never been to Grapevine Mills I suggest you go, they have something there for everyone including an ice rink.

If you ever decide to check out the Dallas Zoo, visit the McDonalds’ that is next to the zoo. It is decorated in a cool safari theme with sounds included. If you have kids, they will get a kick out of it.

Millie
03-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Does anyone have suggestions for late night dining in Dallas? The last couple of times I've gone I've found myself looking for somewhere to eat after 10PM- usually I've ended up at fast food, and once at a not very good seafood place. I like Mexican best, but any suggestions would be great.

RSA
03-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Try the Blue Goose on Lower Greenville Ave. for late night mexican food.

SoonerBent
03-24-2007, 04:46 PM
I go to the Dallas area quite often and honestly, no sarcasm intended, my favorite part is the "Welcome To Oklahoma" sign just north of the Red River. There just isn't anything in Dallas that I find worth fighting the extra traffic, worse drivers, etc. Bigger is not always better.

Easy180
03-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Have you tried Ruth's Chris soonerbent?.....Well worth the drive down south just for that....But they do have more upscale shopping (unfortunately for my wallet) and various dining and nightlife options we don't have here in our fine state

Plus they have Fat Tire beer down in Big D :Smiley051

Patrick
03-25-2007, 04:53 PM
I've never been a fan of Dallas. I'd rather make the longer drive to Houston or San Antonio. The Galleria in Houston is larger and nicer than the Galleria in Dallas. Plus, I think traffic is better in Houston. Katy Mills Mall is every bit as nice as Grapevine Mills.

okcpulse
03-25-2007, 10:21 PM
I haven't been out to Katy, TX yet. I actually work just a few miles north fo the Houston Galleria.

writerranger
03-25-2007, 10:33 PM
I've never been a fan of Dallas. I'd rather make the longer drive to Houston or San Antonio. The Galleria in Houston is larger and nicer than the Galleria in Dallas. Plus, I think traffic is better in Houston. Katy Mills Mall is every bit as nice as Grapevine Mills.

I agree with you about the Houston Galleria for sure. No comparison. But Dallas traffic worse than Houston? Houston is known for a lot of things and heat and traffic probably rank right up there with oil. Seriously, from experience and word-of-mouth, I see Los Angeles and Houston as the worst two cities in America for traffic. In fact, to me, Dallas traffic looks tame in comparison to Houston. But you are sure right about the Houston Galleria. It's an awesome place. That whole Galleria district there is incredible. Oh! Katy.....that is my favorite Houston burb. But where Pulse is is nice, too. But damn that Houston traffic. How DO you do it pulse??

-----------

chuckdiesel
04-01-2007, 06:28 AM
I understand your point writeranger, and as usual, I agree with you. Perhaps I should have rephrased my post. I don't think it's healthy for an individuals or a city for it to "shelter" its residents. My point on that last one is that OKC does miss tax dollars. Some are understandable for a weekend getaway or something Oklahoma simply can't offer right now, however, there are still thousands of people who go to Texas, usually DFW to do things they can do right here at home like shop at common stores like Gap, Old Navy, etc. or say folks that live in Ardmore are about equally close to DFW and OKC. Many choose DFW because of the larger selection (and yes I like shopping some of the upscale stuff that can't be found anywhere in Oklahoma), however some of them do it for groceries, or stuff that can be bought here. That is where I think it is part of civic responsibility to get/spend money on those sorts of things here in state where it improves our infrastructure and educational systems, not Texas'. That is where they've got us beat.

If people are buying their grocieries in Texas its probably because they have no sales tax on them and therfore they save money. What is wrong with that? Who wants to pay more just so our politicians can squander more of our money?

PUGalicious
04-01-2007, 06:58 AM
If people are buying their grocieries in Texas its probably because they have no sales tax on them and therfore they save money. What is wrong with that? Who wants to pay more just so our politicians can squander more of our money?
Yes, yes... it's a terrible thing when they squander our sales tax money on police protection, firefighters, roads and streets, road signs, traffic lights, sidewalks, parks, water, sewers, animal control...

Easy180
05-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Just got back from a quick trip to Dallas to watch a concert at the newly opened House of Blues...Just wanted to say how much we were impressed with HOB...Has a great restaurant, which made it so easy to eat and make the concert on time...The concert was actually in one of their smaller rooms which made for a great experience...Great sound and a great view no matter where you stood

Just wanted to let you know don't hesitate to head down for a concert at HOB

And also for you singer-songwriter fans...2 words...Martin Sexton...The guy is awesome and he is at his best live...Check out "Live Wide Open"...One of the best live albums out there

anthonyokc
05-26-2007, 10:45 PM
If you like seafood, try Pappadeaux on Oaklawn ave and couple miles north of downtown, they have the best cajun and seafood dishes.

If you want to drop some cash on some clothes that you wont see anyother Oklahoman in, then go to Northpark Center on Northwest Highway. This place is loaded with topnotch stores like Neiman Marcus, Barney's New York, Nordstrom, Versace, Prada... well, you name it, it's there, trust me. Put on some comfortable shoes, If I remember right, one lap through the mall is nearly 1 mile.

Not really a club goer anymore, so, can't help you in that department haha

Next time, stay at the Hilton Anatole on Stemmons Freeway. They have top notch service, and try to stay in the tower facing downtown, the view is worth every penny.

mranderson
05-27-2007, 06:20 AM

What is wrong with it is simple. They live in Oklahoma, so that is where they should spend their money. It is called loyalty. Plus, unless they live within ten miles of a supermarket in Texas, they really do not save money. That is called a tank of gas.

BailJumper
05-27-2007, 08:14 AM
What is wrong with it is simple. They live in Oklahoma, so that is where they should spend their money. It is called loyalty.

Give me a break. I buy based on cost and quality and nothing else. I shop at the local Sam's for cost and I buy virtually all high ticket items online, for the same reason. OKC didn't my tax dollars on my high ticket electronic items and I couldn't care less.

Personally, if someone is choosing not to go to Dallas for fear of being "disloyal" they really need to get a life. We go to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio or even Tulsa whenever we can.

Easy180
05-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Yeah...Guess it's actually being disloyal if you take any vacations out of state

Put me down for a disloyal week stay in Cancun in August MrA...I will try and spend more at home when I return to make up for it

So hope we are still cool mra :tiphat:

JerzeeGrlinOKC
05-28-2007, 08:19 AM

Ok devil's advocate here (sort of)...is the reason that some people (I'm still amazed that it would be worth 6-7 hours of driving to save a couple of bucks on tax, so I'm truly curious who would do this for the reason you mentioned, chuckdiesel) go grocery shopping in Dallas because they have nicer grocery store chains? When I moved out here I became frustrated that my basic options were Walmart, Albertson's, and Crest...maybe now the Super Target (which is my choice out here). Two of them aren't even grocery stores! I can't argue this with reason, but there is something very soothing about going to a nice upscale grocery store to do shopping, like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or Wegmans (you guys don't have this out here, but if you go up to the Northeast, ever, GO THERE! Its cooool...) - actually what grocery stores are there in Dallas that people crave?

I guess my point is if we want to compete with Dallas, so we don't have to argue that it is your "civic duty" to stay in OKC for "routine" shopping or entertainment, then we need more upscale shopping centers, grocery store selection, a Dave and Busters (ok I inserted that one because I love it and we should have one), and a rail system (which would certainly give us a one up on Dallas, for sure...). Don't get me wrong I love it out here, but I do grumble that I have to drive all over the frikkin' place to get specialty food items, and I wish they were all in one place. Plus I wouldn't mind an IKEA or Crate and Barrel (I have gone to Dallas just for those places). Case and point: bring things in Dallas we love, here to OKC! Supply and demand, right (ok I know there's way more politics to it than that, but hey a girl's gotta dream...)

:hobbes:

mranderson
05-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Ok devil's advocate here (sort of)...is the reason that some people (I'm still amazed that it would be worth 6-7 hours of driving to save a couple of bucks on tax, so I'm truly curious who would do this for the reason you mentioned, chuckdiesel) go grocery shopping in Dallas because they have nicer grocery store chains? When I moved out here I became frustrated that my basic options were Walmart, Albertson's, and Crest...maybe now the Super Target (which is my choice out here). Two of them aren't even grocery stores! I can't argue this with reason, but there is something very soothing about going to a nice upscale grocery store to do shopping, like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or Wegmans (you guys don't have this out here, but if you go up to the Northeast, ever, GO THERE! Its cooool...) - actually what grocery stores are there in Dallas that people crave?

I guess my point is if we want to compete with Dallas, so we don't have to argue that it is your "civic duty" to stay in OKC for "routine" shopping or entertainment, then we need more upscale shopping centers, grocery store selection, a Dave and Busters (ok I inserted that one because I love it and we should have one), and a rail system (which would certainly give us a one up on Dallas, for sure...). Don't get me wrong I love it out here, but I do grumble that I have to drive all over the frikkin' place to get specialty food items, and I wish they were all in one place. Plus I wouldn't mind an IKEA or Crate and Barrel (I have gone to Dallas just for those places). Case and point: bring things in Dallas we love, here to OKC! Supply and demand, right (ok I know there's way more politics to it than that, but hey a girl's gotta dream...)

:hobbes:

The supermarket chains in the DFW metro are as follows:

Kroger-Yes. I wish we had them.
Minyards- Equivelant to Homeland
Tom Thumb- Equivelant to Homeland
Albertsons- No comment needed
Brookshires- Locally owned. Decent. Probably, except for price, like Crest (Crest is lower in price)
HEB- Regional. Similar to Homeland
Plus Target and Wal-Mart.

These are the ones I can think of except for their "organic" places. So. Are the chains better? Not really. Plus no chain is worth spending an extra $35.00 or so on gas just to save about $10.00 on tax. Let alone the 6.5 hours it takes to drive round trip.

Imagine this:

Woman: Sweetie (or whatever) I am going to the market, be back soon.

Man: OK.

(Nine hours later)

Man: I thought you were going to the market. You've been gone nine hours.

Woman: I did.

Man; Yea, right. Nine hours for food? Where have you really been? With Joe?

Point is. Nine hours to buy food is not logical.

bandnerd
05-28-2007, 05:37 PM
When I was growing up, I remember visiting a Tom Thumb once in awhile down in Gainesville for large grocery bills because of the no grocery tax thing. They have since left that area, but it was okay back then because gas in the early 80's wasn't near what it is now, and it was only about a 25 minute drive for us...our local grocery store in Marietta was pretty bad, and Ardmore didn't have the Super Wal-mart yet so it was a reasonable option for us.

Now? Oh heck no. I wouldn't drive 6 hours to buy groceries. I hate wal-mart with a passion (though I am finding Sam's club to be a viable option for me) Albertson's and Crest are way expensive, Homeland is dirty (along with the wal-marts) and Target doesn't have a super center anywhere near me.

During the summer, I try to buy as much from local farmer's markets as I can!

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a TJ's or a Whole Foods somewhere in the metro area. I'd drive across town for one of these for sure. Even all the way to Norman or Edmond.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
05-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Oh no guys, I was not suggesting that anyone go there just for food shopping, I was just making the point that I wish we had this stuff here. Oh man, bandnerd, I wish just as much as you that there were a TJ's and/or Whole Foods here...that would be NICE! I'm guilty, I do drive down to the Super Target in Norman, but I keep justifying that I need other stuff there to make the trip worthwhile (I live in SE OKC so its not so bad)...its better than Wal-fart for sure...:Smiley099

And mranderson, I've been to Tom Thumb and I'm pretty sure it was upscale...not equivalent to Homeland at all...

mranderson
05-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Oh no guys, I was not suggesting that anyone go there just for food shopping, I was just making the point that I wish we had this stuff here. Oh man, bandnerd, I wish just as much as you that there were a TJ's and/or Whole Foods here...that would be NICE! I'm guilty, I do drive down to the Super Target in Norman, but I keep justifying that I need other stuff there to make the trip worthwhile (I live in SE OKC so its not so bad)...its better than Wal-fart for sure...:Smiley099

And mranderson, I've been to Tom Thumb and I'm pretty sure it was upscale...not equivalent to Homeland at all...

So have I, and I guess it is a matter of opinion. I never found it to be "upscale." Just your typical market.

AFCM
05-28-2007, 07:27 PM
I shop at the Commissary on base where everything's tax free. The only thing that sucks about shopping at the Commissary is the feeling you have to spend the money you just saved on tax and give it to the guy bagging your groceries. These baggers wear ID tags that state they work only for tips and they'll give you dirty looks if you don't tip them well. I'm usually a good tipper, but I won't tip when I only bought a few items I could've hand-carried myself. I think I should only tip when they take the bags out to my truck, but they think differently.

If you shop at the BX (the military's version of a mall, kind of like a Wal-Mart with a food court, but a little more upscale), everything is tax free. Plus, instead of making some jerk rich beyond belief, a lot of the dough you spend goes back into the community...like base schools, gym, bowling alley, library, etc. Because of this, I try to do most of my shopping at Tinker.

OKBound
06-05-2007, 11:26 AM
I thought that for those who would like to find out about restaurants, live music, etc. in the Dallas area when planning a trip would find this link helpful.

www.guidelive.com

Can't give any recommendations on the night life.....dear hubby and I have retired from our party dazes.

And ladies, if you are addicted to purses and jewelry, you have to stop by Sam Moon's. There is one in NW Dallas, but I would recommend taking the trip up the tollway and going to the Sam Moon's in Frisco (north on the Dallas North Tollway, turn right at Hwy 121 exit(heading NE), then left at Hwy 289/Preston Rd (heading N). Make a Uturn at Gaylord and it's the last building on the right. And no, I don't work there, and I am not with the Chamber of Commerce. I only go when my in-laws come in from Amarillo, since I end up spending WAY TOO much $$. Their prices are great for inexpensive costume jewelry and tons of purses.
The intersection of 121 and Preston can best be described as a Retail Mecca on Steriods.
Another good place to shop is the Allen Premium Outlet on 75 and Stacy Rd. There is now a Neiman Marcus outlet store that just opened there.

Hope this helps!!

escan
06-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Dallas also has a Central Market. No, I don't drive to Dallas for grocery shopping, but you can bet I stock up when I do go.

SOONER8693
06-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Everytime I walk out of the Cotton Bowl on the 2nd(sometimes 1st) Saturday in October with a W is a great, wonderful, memorable, euphoric, nirvana like, experience in Dallas. Spending the rest of Saturday knowing Sooners own this city is really undescribable.

RSA
06-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Dallas also has a Central Market. No, I don't drive to Dallas for grocery shopping, but you can bet I stock up when I do go.

I do make a point to stop there everytime I am in Dallas. They have everything! I mean everything in there.

okclee
06-05-2007, 08:13 PM
In regards to the Dallas groceries, my wifes parents live and work in Dallas and they prefer to purchase their groceries when the visit us in Okc.

Nearly each and every item is .25 to .50 cents more in Dallas for groceries. Some grocery items cost a dollar and up per item. One gallon of milk in Dallas will cost you around $4.00 to $4.50.

We all know not everything is as good as it seems on the other side of the fence.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-06-2007, 12:17 AM
We all know not everything is as good as it seems on the other side of the fence.

Nuh uh...My neighbor's yard looks like sh*t.

CMSturgeon
11-07-2007, 10:42 AM
I'd like to bring this darling back by saying I'll be spending my well owned tax dollards in Dallas this weekend and I couldn't be more excited. Does anyone have suggestions for a fun filled romantic weekend? Restaurants, clubs, etc.

CMSturgeon
11-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Meant to say 'well earned'.... apparently I'm typing with a speech impediment today.

RSA
11-07-2007, 01:55 PM
In regards to the Dallas groceries, my wifes parents live and work in Dallas and they prefer to purchase their groceries when the visit us in Okc.

Nearly each and every item is .25 to .50 cents more in Dallas for groceries. Some grocery items cost a dollar and up per item. One gallon of milk in Dallas will cost you around $4.00 to $4.50.

I spent most of my life in Dallas and I now live in OKC. Dallas, just like any other city has high end grocery stores as well as some more comparable to Buy for Less. It all depends where you shop. Yeah, Central Market, in Dallas, is more expensive than Tom Thumb or Kroger. Just like Cresent market is more expensive than Crest.

teacher girl
11-07-2007, 03:03 PM
dallas is fun and has some great "touristy" stuff, but fort worth has some GREAT things (and its just about a 20 min. drive NOT DURING RUSH HOUR)

there is the INFAMOUS BABE's chicken fried steak (north of keller and in denton) TO DIE FOR

California pizza kitchen in grapevine has GREAT pizza

Le madelines (all over the dfw area) has great breakfast's and wonderful rotisserie chicken and chicken panini's (and bakery is AWESOME)

down town fort worth sports a 2 choice (fajitas or enchiladas), cash only mexican restaurant called Joe. T Garcias! Go when weather is PERFECT and eat outside! guacamole is greatness

there is also spring creek bbq (i think they are scattered around the area) they make wonderful plates and their bread is awesome!

to top it off, they have a wonderful custard place called wooleys (one near grapevine, one in keller) wish we could get more custard places here!

~~~hahahaha, can you tell I LOVE some places. we lived there for about 6 years and I haven't been back in a year and I had to eat at each one of those a weekend we went.

you made me very hungry~~hope this can help in the future

OH, one other great place is the worthington hotel in downtown fort worth, they have a graet sunday brunch!

oumoodman85
11-07-2007, 04:27 PM
I was born and raised in OKC, just graduated from OU in May of this year and moved to Dallas for a finance job.

I work and live in the Park Cities area off NW Hwy and the Dallas North Tollway and never have to leave a 3 mile radius to find whatever I want!

Northpark is amazing for high-end shopping, Preston Square has an eclectic mix of restaurants and shops (Sprinkles included!), and Highland Park has some really great shopping as well. Park Cities/U Park/Highland Park are amazing areas to live in--think Norman with all of the old trees and tree-lined avenues.

Overall I love working/living in Dallas, but at the end of the day my wife and I still travel to OKC 2 weekends a month to come "home" and get away from the hustle and bustle of Dallas!

oumoodman85
11-07-2007, 04:29 PM
And for the record Central Market is the most amazing grocery store I have ever been to! The prices are TOTALLY justified due to the quality and selection of their goods.

I can only dream of the day that OKC gets a Whole Foods or Central Market equivalent!

jbrown84
11-08-2007, 09:45 AM
There's a neat restaurant downtown called FUSE. It's in the Power and Light building.

escan
11-08-2007, 10:54 AM
LOVE fuse! second that...what a great atmosphere.

CuatrodeMayo
11-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Have fun in traffic...

I hate Dallas.

metro
11-08-2007, 12:27 PM
CMSturgeon, make sure you stop in the store LUSH and get some products to pamper yourself, you won't regret it. I forget where there store is but if you go to their website, you'll find their location in Dallas.

jbrown84
11-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Have fun in traffic...

I hate Dallas.

ditto

RSA
11-08-2007, 02:48 PM
And for the record Central Market is the most amazing grocery store I have ever been to! The prices are TOTALLY justified due to the quality and selection of their goods.

I can only dream of the day that OKC gets a Whole Foods or Central Market equivalent!

I completely agree with you. I would love to shop at a local Central Market.

oumoodman85
11-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Have fun in traffic...

I hate Dallas.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones...I only have a 10 minute commute to work (wife's is 15 min). But I'll admit traffic can be a nightmare for those who live in the northern suburbs.

Il Dolce Gelato
11-09-2007, 08:15 AM
A couple restaurants that we really like in Dallas are Mi Piaci and Terilli's. Both Italian restaurants with great food and drink. Mi Piaci is a little pricier and well known for their wine menu while Terilli's is a little younger crowd with great jazz.

jbrown84
11-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Traffic was a nightmare just trying to get around downtown and Midtown.

CMSturgeon
11-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I absolutely love driving in Dallas, it's a rush. Stopped traffic is of course no fun. But it's a city full of aggressive drivers and I love that, I love satisfying my need for speed and urge to weave in and out of traffic once or twice a year.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-09-2007, 01:48 PM
I absolutely love driving in Dallas, it's a rush. Stopped traffic is of course no fun. But it's a city full of aggressive drivers and I love that, I love satisfying my need for speed and urge to weave in and out of traffic once or twice a year.

Dallas traffic sucks compared to Southern California's. You should try it. Hit the 5 between LA and San Diego around 3am. Triple digits and STILL getting passed.

CMSturgeon
11-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Dallas traffic sucks compared to Southern California's. You should try it. Hit the 5 between LA and San Diego around 3am. Triple digits and STILL getting passed.

the smell...... you had me at triple digits.

Anyway.

I had a wondeful weekend in Dallas.

Hotel: Let me say this, I was really nervous about booking a hotel that was only $66 a night and when we got there Hawthorn Suites was the coolest hotel I have ever been in. Our room was huge, fireplace and all, the service was awesome, the breakfast was awesome.... tennis court... pool (told us it doesnt really close as long as youre quiet)... hot tub. It was right near the Galleria and about 12 minutes from downtown. It was really great. We plan to stay there many more times when we go to Dallas. And we only have the Queen Executive Suite, online the King Penthouse suite looks insane.

Transportation: Saturday morning we stopped by the front desk to get directions to downtown and the guy said, why don't you take the train? So we obliged and had a great time. $3 for an all day pass and we went everywhere downtown. We saved so much gas and the stress of trying to find out where we were going. This train would be great to use if you're going to go clubbing and don't want to drive and it cost like $30 less than a taxi!

Things we did: We dined at Chipotle twice. Last time I really hated this place but I tried something new and absolutely loved it. Good experience at the one downtown but the one right across from the hotel had one of the rudest employees I've ever seen before..... but the food was still great. We also dined at Dakota's Restaurant... this is the most romantic place I have EVER been. It was fully worth the $90 (incl. tip) bill for two. Valet parking and it's underground with a beautiful waterfall for the outdoor seating and the indoor area is beautiful as well. The service and food was exceptional.

Lastly........ we were going to go to the Aquarium until we realized it was $16.95 a person... we were trying to save for dinner! Has anyone been? Is it worth the price?