View Full Version : Any Bird Owners Here?

RussBraaten
03-03-2007, 03:47 AM
I have been involved with parrots for many year and in many ways, from pet ownership to breeding to th retailing of bird supplies. I have been thinking about starting a bird grooming business where I trim nails and wings and beaks, help with training and proper pet care and problem solving. I would do this in home and travel through out the OKC, Norman, Edmond areas. I would love feedback if there are any bird owners here.

Russ

Millie
04-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Russ,

I think I'd go to a "bird groomer" to have my birds' wings/nails/beaks trimmed. I'd prefer that to doing it myself, and I'd also prefer going to a specialty shop over using some inexperienced vet tech.

I don't know that I'd want it done in my home, though. Seems like there are too many liability issues. I know a woman who has made at least one ER visit over injuries caused by her bird, and I have a few scars myself. (Note to prospecitve bird owners: I don't mean that all birds are aggressive or mean-- sometimes breeder pairs, wild-caught parrots, and even improperly trained 'pets' can get kind of nasty, though.)

CMSturgeon
04-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah, it seems like a liability risk. I just keep picturing the movies where a friend watches a bird while others are out of town and somehow the bird ends up dead or missing. Not saying you'd do either, just made me think of that. I laughed.

PUGalicious
04-19-2007, 03:50 AM
^^^ Potty mouth!

TomGirl
04-19-2007, 06:49 PM
I would love to get a parrot. We don't have any other pets and a parrot seems really up my alley. My father had a Macaw when I was young and I absolutely loved him. I don't want one that loud though!

Russ, do you know of a good "beginner" parrot that is tamable and can learn to talk well?

Millie
04-19-2007, 07:45 PM
TomGirl, IMO the best beginner bird is a quaker. They're easily trained and very affectionate. They don't tend to talk well, though.
A military macaw might be a good bird for you, or maybe a conure.

Whatever you do, don't buy the bird from a pet store. You have a much better chance at having a good relationship with a young bird bought from a breeder.

RussBraaten
05-26-2007, 02:32 AM
Quakers are good starters but their screeching can get on your nerves. Cockatiels are great starter birds and many will learn words and whistles. If you don't mind spending a little more money,eclectus parrots are great first birds. They can be wonderful pets but make sure you get a bird that is already sweet, no matter what bird you get.