View Full Version : Is more RAM worth it?

Lauri101
02-28-2007, 05:44 PM
We have a wired/wireless network at home, with two desktops and one wireless laptop. We have Dreamweaver installed on all three, but the 3 websites are all located on my second ("G") drive. We both work on updating, etc on websites from all three computers.

We have 1G RAM on one (S.O's) computer, 768MB on mine, and 512 on laptop. (used infrequently)

Here's the question:

If I am "Simsing" (high memory use - Sims2) on my computer and S.O. accesses MY hard drive to work on website, everything seems to slow down for both of us.

Would adding more memory to MY desktop help that?

I have an SDRAM configuration, which runs about $140 for each (of pair required) 256MB. My configuration now is two pair - 256 and 128. Would S.O. gain speed if I changed the 128MB paired to 256MB paired? I know I would, but we have an ongoing discussion as to whether it would help him.

Thanks in advance - I hope this makes sense!

writerranger
02-28-2007, 06:15 PM
We have a wired/wireless network at home, with two desktops and one wireless laptop. We have Dreamweaver installed on all three, but the 3 websites are all located on my second ("G") drive. We both work on updating, etc on websites from all three computers.

We have 1G RAM on one (S.O's) computer, 768MB on mine, and 512 on laptop. (used infrequently)

Here's the question:

If I am "Simsing" (high memory use - Sims2) on my computer and S.O. accesses MY hard drive to work on website, everything seems to slow down for both of us.

Would adding more memory to MY desktop help that?

I have an SDRAM configuration, which runs about $140 for each (of pair required) 256MB. My configuration now is two pair - 256 and 128. Would S.O. gain speed if I changed the 128MB paired to 256MB paired? I know I would, but we have an ongoing discussion as to whether it would help him.

Thanks in advance - I hope this makes sense!

Hi Lauri.....

What is your operating system and processor speed? AMD or Pentium? New computer with a decent Motherboard? (Less than three-four years old?)

---------------

Martin
02-28-2007, 06:21 PM
in that situation, i'm not so sure that more ram would help. if the data that your s.o. is accessing is on the same drive that sims2 is on, then the problem is more related to disk access than to memory... i'm thinking sims2 accesses the hd frequently to load textures and game data. so you've got two people trying to access mounds of data at the same time from one physical drive and it's bogging down. that's my guess. -M

mranderson
02-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Is more RAM worth it? Yes. Without it, your computer can freeze and slow down. By todays standards, you need at least one gigabyte.

Lauri101
03-01-2007, 02:14 AM
Thanks all for replies!

My computer is a Dell Dimension 8200, 4 years old, Pentium 4, CPU 2.00GHz, Windows XP, SP2

I put in a second hard drive and we moved the websites off the master, onto the slave. I kept the Sims on the master hd.

The primary hd has 55G total, 11G available. The second hd has 80G, 65G available.

With the price of SDRAM at nearly $300 for the paired 256, I'm just wondering if it's worth it, or time to start browsing Dell for my new computer? :)

Martin
03-01-2007, 05:30 AM
while i'm still not certain that more ram will alleviate your issues, i'm thinking $300 is a bit steep... are you sure on that price?

-M

Lauri101
03-01-2007, 05:43 AM
yes, SDRAM is way more expensive for some reason. The very cheapest was at newegg, for $89 each. SDRAM has to be installed in pairs, so I might could get off for around $200. Dell wants $150 for each module.

With a 4 year old computer, I'm just not sure even $200 is a wise investment. The thought of re-loading all of my programs and data on a new computer, however, makes me shudder with dread.:dizzy:

Martin
03-01-2007, 06:20 AM
what kind of sdram? pc133? -M

oldglory
03-01-2007, 08:05 AM
yes, SDRAM is way more expensive for some reason. The very cheapest was at newegg, for $89 each. SDRAM has to be installed in pairs, so I might could get off for around $200. Dell wants $150 for each module.

With a 4 year old computer, I'm just not sure even $200 is a wise investment. The thought of re-loading all of my programs and data on a new computer, however, makes me shudder with dread.:dizzy: I think your right... you can get a good computer for $700-$900. If ya save $200 every other paycheck boom ya got it. I would not invest money in a 4 year old computer. Look at Sams Club they got some pretty good deals...........

Karried
03-01-2007, 08:37 AM
I just got a nice one from Dell at 25 % off.. not sure if they still have that special but I got 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz -

Dimension E521,Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.00GHz, 512Kx2) w Vista

( I added quite a few upgrades -320GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive (7200RPM), 256 video card, dvd burner, etc etc but even still it came to about $1200) and Free shipping and handling..

ibda12u
03-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Lauri101,

Your problem isn't so much ram in this case. (because the sims only need 256MB ram, and dreamweaver can run with that or less, but technically you're not "running" dreamweaver at the same time you're playing the sims, on your pc.

Technically all you're doing is file sharing off your pc. I think the issue you're running into is Disk Read Access. Even though you have 2 hard drives, you still most likely have them on the same controller. So what's happening is your drives are competing with one another for access to the IDE controller card. Normally this would not happen with simple file sharing, but Dream weaver constantly monitors your web folders/files to see if there has been any changes, and so it's consistently connecting, and reading your second hard drive.

you may look at a simple PCI ATA Controller Card. To attach to your second Hard Drive. It's a simple easy fix, if you're used to adding cards into your pc, and it should cost you under $30.

If you really just want to get a new PC from dell though, get one with Serial ATA Drives, and I'll be happy to take your old 2ghz box off your hands :)
Kidding :)

Another option, albeit a much more expensive option, would be to get a couple of SCSI hard drives. They'll run independent of pretty much anything :)

SoonerDave
03-01-2007, 08:54 AM
In your situation, you're more likely I/O (throughput) bound across your network, not on your local machines (except, I suppose, write contention on the hard drives0. While I don't think it is possible to have too much memory, I don't think adding memory will do much of anything to alleviate the problem you describe.

-soonerdave

Lauri101
03-01-2007, 03:43 PM
wow - you guys are great!

Karried - your new computer made me get that special feeling that only a geekette can get! :Smiley063

ibda12u - your solution sounds like the easiest for now, at a cost I can afford and work I can do myself.

And I misspoke on memory - it's RDRAM, PC800 (non-ECC) (the SDRAM was for S.O. - guess I mixed up my rams!)

But I am going to save for a new computer...it'll be my Christmas present to myself, but maybe a bit earlier.

Thanks, everyone - I knew that there would be some great ideas here, as I always learn from this forum!

CMSturgeon
03-01-2007, 05:53 PM
My husband and I added 512 to our comp that originally had 256. For a while it ran really well. Well it seemed to, maybe it was only in our heads. Anyway, now it's back to pooping around all the time. Stupid LimeWire.