View Full Version : Is Edmond a snobby town?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Patrick
02-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Yes, no, and why?

BailJumper
02-27-2007, 05:55 AM
IMO - Edmond is like any other town in that they have their 'rich,' 'moderate' and 'poor' areas.

The snobs are the ones who take a particular delight in letting everyone else know they live there.

Most of my family lives in Edmond. All of their homes are over $275K, but honestly only one seems all that impressive. The rest are nice homes that could have been bought for alot less in OKC.

One relative just had to live in Edmond and paid probably about $140K for a tiny house in a neighborhood without any trees. A year later she sold it and moved to Yukon and bought a much bigger house for the same money and lost the traffic issues too.

Had another friend that moved here from out of state. His wife just had to live in Edmond and wanted next to I-35. They paid at least $250K for a home that looked like a fancy apartment to me with no yard. They even had to paint their garage a different color so friends could find it easier because all the homes on the street looked the same.

Give me an older home on a couple of acres any day.

drumsncode
02-27-2007, 06:38 AM
There are definite pockets of snobbery, but that's be to expected I guess. I once stood in line at a rare trip to Panera Bread, and had to listen to some guy brag about his new luxury car. The only thing missing was him holding up a sign that said "Look at me, I'm rich".

I do hope my jeans and cheap shirt did not offend his sense of style.

Karried
02-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Here we go again... I don't know why we have to have these 'my town in better than your town' discussions.. we've had them for years. Such a generalization.

Okay, I'll bite anyway.

There are snobs anywhere and everywhere. It depends on the definition of snobs. What some might assume is snobbery might really be just shyness or it could be a myriad of things, they might have just lost a loved one, a job loss whatever... anything could make them appear snobby because they don't start a conversation with you.

You can never know, without really knowing someone, that they are snobs just because they live in Edmond.

Personally, it all comes down to location, location, location if you want the most bang for your buck over time regarding property values and quality of life ... that usually translate into good schools, increasing property values, pride of ownership with well maintained neighborhoods, good HOA's, reputable city management, convenient amenities, transportation, easy commute, etc etc...

Yes, you will find many people who have a lot of affluence in Edmond. There are a lot of educated professionals here who make lots of money or are business owners or came from money through their families.

If they choose to feel superior or act ugly to those less fortunate that's their own personality flaw. Not neccesarily a product of living in Edmond.

You will find those people anywhere also...look at Nichols Hills or Gaillardia.

Who knows, even someone living in a trailer park in a double wide might look down on someone who has a single wide... makes people feel better to think they are doing well in life and how do they gauge that?

Some use money or homes or cars and some use community service to others, giving to charities or being good people and helping out others less fortunate. But, please just don't assume that because someone has a certain zip code they are snobs.

jbrown84
02-27-2007, 09:18 AM
They even had to paint their garage a different color so friends could find it easier because all the homes on the street looked the same.

LOL that's hilarious.

We moved to Edmond for the trees and hills and good schools, about ten years ago. We are a mile from I-35 so we don't have the traffic issues unless we have to drive into Edmond.

I think there's definitely some of it, but I know more nice, humble people than snobby ones. In high school it was 60-40 at least. But a lot of the churches are like Country Clubs, which is why we don't go to church in Edmond.

Easy180
02-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Think it's safe to say it is the most snobby next to Nichols Hills

But I get a little satisfaction knowing many there are mortgaged and in debt to their eyeballs just to live there :Smiley122

Karried
02-27-2007, 09:38 AM
But I get a little satisfaction knowing many there are mortgaged and in debt to their eyeballs just to live there

You could say the same about any area in any town...it's all proportionate. Most everyone lives beyond their means whether they live in a poor area or a wealthy area.

Easy180
02-27-2007, 09:43 AM
I know karried, but it's much more fun when you know snobs are living way beyond their means :wink:

Tim
02-27-2007, 09:45 AM
As an Edmondite, I find that the snobbiest residents are the ones who sport the million-plus "McMansions" and choose to have very little to do with the City itself. If you want to meet the real people of Edmond, have breakfast at Around the Corner, or coffee at Java Daves. Go to a concert at the UCO Jazz Lab and have a bit to eat at Othellos. Walk around Capital View neighborhood or grab a burger at Flatire next to campus. There are great folks here, just like anywhere, and to paint an entire community with the same brush is patently unfair and a form of "snobbery" in itself! That being said, my Hummer is warmed up, so I have to run to Starbucks and grab a triple-soy-latte-half-decaf-cinnamon-americano to energize me for a long day of buying really expensive art and $200.00 rippd up jeans. Ta!:tiphat:

BailJumper
02-27-2007, 09:53 AM
"snobbery" often comes down to a third parties sensitivities. Just because someone talks/brags about their new $50K automobile doesn't mean they are a snob as much as the 3rd party being jealous. If I talk about my new truck that I had lifted 3" does that automatically make me a hick or redneck?

People talk about what they drive, own, where they live, vacations and their jobs.

Karried
02-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Great replies..... I hate to have the whole town/area stigmatized with the image of a bunch of stuck up, snooty people.. because it's just not that way.

Most people I interact with in Edmond are family oriented with kids in soccer and hanging out at Target ... yeah, there are some nice executive homes in Edmond but it's not really all of Edmond..there are plenty of pockets of different types of homes and cars driven.

Something interesting, home ownership anywhere gives a lot of clout when purchasing a car and obtaining credit to buy all the 'toys' ... but we all know it's not about that.. that doesn't give people true happiness.

drumsncode
02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
I know karried, but it's much more fun when you know snobs are living way beyond their means :wink:

I like that remark. And you right to a huge extent. Our society is addicted to debt and everyone thinks that they should get to live like Kings and Queens. Look at the houses they are building these days. Look at what our parents lived in.

I like listening to Dave Ramsey and his line about the paid-off mortgage being the new status symbol. I also love it when some snotty person is trying to play the "my stuff is better than yours" card. That's when I like to play the "I don't have a mortgage card".

It also goes good with the "I always pay cash for cars" card.

Being in debt is a tremendous yoke around your neck. It can turn you into a very "not nice" person when your job is in jeopardy, and thus your lifestyle.

End of sermon.

Tim
02-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Preach it brother! If more people thought like you, we would have far fewer problems!:bright_id

Easy180
02-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Nicely put drums...Can't say I am near as financially responsible as you seem to be....But it comforts me to know that many wealthy Edmondites are just 3 or 4 paychecks away from joining me down here in good old Moore :Welcome:

soonerliberal
02-27-2007, 11:45 AM
There are the wealthy "I'm too good for Penn Square Mall" types all over the city. Look at areas of Edmond, Nichols Hills, or Norman and you will find plenty of these types coming in the neighborhood Starbucks.

At the same time, there are people who are six or seven figure earners who are willing to step foot into a Target or Walmart and don't feel the need to show off their BMW to everyone else.

Easy180 has it right. Many of those who have the half million dollar houses are a pink slip away from losing everything.

drumsncode
02-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Nicely put drums...Can't say I am near as financially responsible as you seem to be....But it comforts me to know that many wealthy Edmondites are just 3 or 4 paychecks away from joining me down here in good old Moore :Welcome:

Thank you. All it takes is discipline to be financially healthy, but asking for discipline in today's world is obviously asking for too much. Everyone is bombarded with all the images of people living large and it seems they feel like failures if they don't at least make an attempt to live that way.

By the way, I would never stand in line and brag about anything financially the way the guy in Panera was running his mouth. It was clear he wanted everyone to hear it. There's people like this everywhere. We used to have a guy at work that would come in every Monday and spend half an hour bragging about the latest toys he'd bought. He too, was just a few paychecks away from losing it all, and had to work his wife like a pack-mule so they could afford their lavish lifestyle.

My motto for a two income family is: Live on one income, save the other.

I know a couple that has house so big they have already resigned themselves to working until they are 65. That's a lot of sacrifice to the Gods of Square Footage. But hey, they get to brag at work, and isn't that what it's all about these days?

sweetdaisy
02-27-2007, 01:01 PM
There are the wealthy "I'm too good for Penn Square Mall" types all over the city.

:ohno: There's somewhere to shop that's better than Penn Square Mall???

Karried
02-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Dam* .. the Dow Jones just fell over 500 points! Thank God for savings accounts and diversification.. wow..

BailJumper
02-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Personally, I think it's whatever makes you happy. I know people that work 80 hours a week to afford to live in a big home with lots of toys and very little set aside, but that makes them very happy. Then I have grandmother that saved every penny. She lives in a 60 year old home that needs lots of renovation. She clips coupons, won't buy anything unless it is on clearance or used and takes pride in the fact she has over $100K in the bank.

Other than her, I know very few people (rich or poor) that are not basically living pay check to pay check.

Regardless of my toys or lack thereof, I live by the financial principle that I could survive for a year without any income.

Karried
02-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Regardless of my toys or lack thereof, I live by the financial principle that I could survive for a year without any income.

Same here..... that is the best way to live.. peace of mind, knowing if something catatrosphic should happen you can take care of your family.

No amount of 'toys' brings that same feeling... although they are fun! And God knows I love to vacation.. all in moderation.

Side note, anyone and everyone can start now to 'sock' a little away for rainy days.. it does take discipline but it is well worth it in the long run.

Jack Wonder
02-27-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm not saying Edmond's the only place for snobby people...And I know the majority of the city isn't likely to act on this standard...But all of the 'snobby' kids I went to high school with ended up at UCO, and I could say the majority of my friends who live in Edmond have more of an "air about them" than my friends who live elsewhere in the city/countryside...I'm sure it's somewhat of a coincidence. :o

Edmond_Outsider
03-13-2007, 10:41 AM
My wife's family has been in Edmond for 30+ years and I've lived there for 10. I'd say Edmond is one of the most class conscious and materialistic places I've ever lived and has grown even more so since I've lived there.

On the other hand, there's a few interesting things happening that signal some kind of change going on. First, pace of growth during that time has brought an unexpected kind of ethnic diversity to the area. I seem to see a far more ethnically diverse population than I used to. I think the profit motive of real estate developers has trumped the desire of old-edmondites to keep the town ethnically and socially pure.

My perspective may be skewed because my kids go to Russell Daugherty and that is more diverse than most schools. I could be wrong, but that is my perception.

I also see far more mixed-ethnicity families than I used to. Some of this is because of the increasingly common practice of adopting Asian or other non-Caucasian children among edmonites.

I think the long term effect of this will be positive and tend to break down some of the entrenched stale and pale element of Edmond society. It's awfully hard to have racial prejudices when you are surrounded by all types of people--some of whom are now part of your family.

CMSturgeon
03-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Rich snobby people aren't the ones that bother me. It's broke snobs that hate rich people because they're jealous. I have a friend and if he sees someone in a nice car he'll say something like, man that's bullcrap, why can't I have a car like that. And it's like.... go to college or..... something, don't hate people because they are priveliged or work harder than you and are receiving the rewards for it. I don't hate rich people, I want to be one, and I'm proud to know I'm working my way to that point. I guess that's why I dont hate republicans even though I'm middle class right now.... I would like to be one of those rich jerks that doesn't care about the broke people.... because unless you are truly disabled and need help, you need to get your lazy ass a job just like i did.

oklanole
03-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Before my wife and I bought a house, I said that I did not want to in Edmond. (I thought Edmond people were snobs) Now that we have been in Edmond for 7 months, I would not want to live anywhere else. Our house is in North Edmond and I really like the pride that most people show in there community. I would not call Edmond snobby or prejudice in the least bit. (I am black by the way).

oldglory
03-14-2007, 06:36 AM
.... because unless you are truly disabled and need help, you need to get your lazy ass a job just like i did. If only everyone would follow this bit of advice, our taxes would be next to nothing...lol

Stinger
03-14-2007, 08:13 AM
As an Edmondite, I find that the snobbiest residents are the ones who sport the million-plus "McMansions" and choose to have very little to do with the City itself. If you want to meet the real people of Edmond, have breakfast at Around the Corner, or coffee at Java Daves. Go to a concert at the UCO Jazz Lab and have a bit to eat at Othellos. Walk around Capital View neighborhood or grab a burger at Flatire next to campus. There are great folks here, just like anywhere, and to paint an entire community with the same brush is patently unfair and a form of "snobbery" in itself!
Good stuff there Tim. I don't live in Edmond, but very well said.

jbrown84
03-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Before my wife and I bought a house, I said that I did not want to in Edmond. (I thought Edmond people were snobs) Now that we have been in Edmond for 7 months, I would not want to live anywhere else. Our house is in North Edmond and I really like the pride that most people show in there community. I would not call Edmond snobby or prejudice in the least bit. (I am black by the way).

Glad you feel that way. Although materialism is prevalent, I don't feel that race is a huge issue in Edmond. Welcome to town!

Tim
03-14-2007, 09:59 AM

Welcome! What part of town are you guys in?

oklanole
03-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Welcome! What part of town are you guys in?

Pebble Creek Addition.

writerranger
03-14-2007, 12:20 PM
You want to know a class-conscious place? I am there and writing from a hotel room in the center of it right now: Plano, TX. There are parts I truly love (The Legacy for instance), but every other car is a Lexus and the people seem so materialistic all the way around. Not all of them, obviously; but it's like Edmond, you can't really color a whole town with one broad brush. However, Plano comes pretty close with it's materialistic attitudes that drip everywhere you go.

But, I drive around and smell nothing but d-e-b-t.

-------------------

Tim
03-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Pebble Creek Addition.

Nice area! The city has a website at City of Edmond, Oklahoma | Home (http://www.edmondok.com) with loads of good info on upcoming events. The Jazz Festival at Stephenson Park is my personal favorite!

Edmond_Outsider
03-14-2007, 02:58 PM
If my wife's family wasn't here, I don't think I'd have had anybody but my wife and dog to talk to for about the first five years I lived here.

Here's the three questions people tend to ask to size you up:

1. What do you do? (How much money do you make)
2. What subdivision do you live in? (How much money do you make and do you spend it)
3. What Life Church service do you attend?

This last question might be amended to "Henderson Hills" or other mega-church. I think that if you answer something outside this realm, many folks tend to think you belong to a cult.

I'm not saying there is a materialistic and herd mentality in Edmond, only that people are ultra-conformist and status conscious.

Here's an interesting story about my experience as an Edmondite.

Last summer I was at my son's second grade baseball practice. I went to my car to retrieve a book to pass the time and one of the mothers of my son's teammates followed me out to the parking lot.

As I got the book from my trunk, I noticed the woman giving me a look as through I didn't belong there.

It seemed odd to me until I noticed that she was getting into her $50,000 Lexus and I was at my $2 2000 Cavalier. She appeared to be judging me by the car I drove.

I found this amusing. A car is a tool that takes me to work, not a measure of my worth as a human being. But, that's my peculiar point of view.

Now, this woman had the speech and lack of good grammar that seemed to indicate she was educated in LeFlore County-- that would be near illiterate for those of you not familiar with that part of the state. But, I was the low status person because of my Cavalier.

The Cavalier is actually a wonderful little car and, I will admit that I could be assuming facts not in evidence. However, I'm not ignorant of people's reactions nor of their treatment of me and this particular woman never again had much to say to me or much pleasantness with which to impart on my attempts to speak with her.

This, in a very broad stroke, is the character of Edmond.

I say a broad stroke, because I like Edmond and I have many good friends here and most of them accept me regardless of my cheap little car.

But, Edmond is materialistic and trends towards snobbishness. Then again, I'm not a golfer, a baptist, a mega-churcher, or interested in Country Clubs. So, my perspective might be skewed. Or not.

Easy180
03-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Here's an interesting story about my experience as an Edmondite.

Last summer I was at my son's second grade baseball practice. I went to my car to retrieve a book to pass the time and one of the mothers of my son's teammates followed me out to the parking lot.

As I got the book from my trunk, I noticed the woman giving me a look as through I didn't belong there.

It seemed odd to me until I noticed that she was getting into her $50,000 Lexus and I was at my $2 2000 Cavalier. She appeared to be judging me by the car I drove.

I found this amusing. A car is a tool that takes me to work, not a measure of my worth as a human being. But, that's my peculiar point of view.

Not only are you driving a 7 yr old car around that fine city, but a domestic one at that.....Probably doesn't even have headlight wipers on it

How dare you..... :rude:

Tim
03-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Snif...(looking down nose) well, we have to draw lines somewhere! Seriously, I live in a verrry old neighborhood, and either ride my bike or walk just about everywhere I go. Yes, I've gotten the "what are you, homeless?" look a time or two, but seriously man, take the time to get to know people! There are some awesome folks here, you just have to go meet 'em!

jbrown84
03-14-2007, 07:09 PM
1. What do you do? (How much money do you make)
2. What subdivision do you live in? (How much money do you make and do you spend it)
3. What Life Church service do you attend?

Don't forget, "Do you have your Mercedes yet?" How could I forget THE status symbol for Edmond women--selling enough Arbonne to get their shiny white Mercedes and be a "Regional Vice President"? Gag.

Edmond_Outsider
03-15-2007, 08:50 AM
You missed the part of my post that said, "I like Edmond and have many close friends here." There are a lot of interesting and great folks in Edmond. There are also a tremendous abundance of materialistic nimrods.

Edmond has a median income of about 3 times the state average. So, it isn't surprising that conspicuous consumption abounds here.

Here's a few more emblematic stories.

First an Arbonne one.

I was at my neighborhood pool last summer with my kids. It was a crowded day and I was trapped next to a genuine Mercedes driving Arbonne harpie. She had invited another family to be her families "guests" that afternoon. For the hour I was there, she stayed on the phone non-stop.

She plied her young children with candy bars and sodas to keep them pacified and ignored the adult "guests." I wasn't interested in eavesdropping, but it was hard to not hear the hyper-excited cheer leading she was engaging in during numerous simultaneous calls (she was continually switching from one call on hold to the next).

The only words she spoke to her guest was, "One of my Consultants is on the verge of winning her first Mercedes! Its' so exciting." The look on her guest's face was not one that indicated she shared the excitement.

There was one brief break in the calls during which she spent in a greed stoked sales pitch to her "friend" to join her circle of "Independent Sales Consultants." I realized that this afternoon at the pool wasn't about spending time at the pool with family, it was about trying to hook the poor "friend" into selling Arbonne for her.

Second.

A few years ago in my Sunday School class--I belong to a small obscure cult called "Methodist"-- we were discussing the Parable Of The Talents. One of the rather well healed women in my class told a story about finding a pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes on sale that cost more than my 2000 Cavalier. I don't remember the point of the story except that she interjected with considerable distaste, "I am not a bargain shopper but I bought the shoes anyway.

It never occurred to me that buying something on sale or at a discount was somehow a signifier of low social status. I always thought paying more than one has to for anything was the mark of a sucker and I've always lived by the motto, "There is a sucker born every minute. It will not be me if I can avoid it."

I'm still trying to understand the mindset behind that remark. I didn't really grow up with a surfeit of money so understanding this mindset is probably impossible for me and I'm cool with that. Personally, I love a good bargain.

jbrown84
03-15-2007, 09:01 AM
She clearly wasn't listening to the parable...

adaniel
03-16-2007, 12:37 PM
You want to know a class-conscious place? I am there and writing from a hotel room in the center of it right now: Plano, TX. There are parts I truly love (The Legacy for instance), but every other car is a Lexus and the people seem so materialistic all the way around. Not all of them, obviously; but it's like Edmond, you can't really color a whole town with one broad brush. However, Plano comes pretty close with it's materialistic attitudes that drip everywhere you go.

But, I drive around and smell nothing but d-e-b-t.

-------------------

HEY! Before I came to OU I lived in Plano! The sad thing is that you are exactly right. Plano (and Collin County in general) is extremly materialistic, and the place is crawling with "credit card millionaires." It should be no surprise that when the economy began to falter in 2003, bankrupcies and foreclosures skyrocketed. Its funny because Collin County is no longer one of the top 10 wealthiest counties in the country and yet the houses keep getting bigger and the cars fancier. Makes you wonder. And by the way, I think Edmond is a great town and it doesn't have as near as may snobs as some people think.

metro
03-16-2007, 12:59 PM
drumsncode, glad to hear their is another Dave Ramsey fan in the room. My wife and I are striving to live by those principles as well and our church teaches them regularly. debt-free living sure will be nice.

i think most people's comments about Edmond is like everywhere else, you have a little bit of everything and most are good people. Wealth tends to congregate and Edmond just has a higher concentration of it overall as a city, thus the appearance of a "snobby town".

drumsncode
03-16-2007, 02:59 PM
drumsncode, glad to hear their is another Dave Ramsey fan in the room. My wife and I are striving to live by those principles as well and our church teaches them regularly. debt-free living sure will be nice.

I was marveling at all the interesting observations in these threads, and despite the fact that I thought it would get really ugly, it hasn't.

The comments on Plano hit me right on target. I took my son there for a skateboard event two years ago, and the place felt like it just dripped money. The event was held in a reasonably upscale shopping center, and the McDonald's there was decorated like a nice restaurant!! I'd never seen anything like that in my life. The stone-work on the buildings was million-dollar quality.

The Dave Ramsey thing is really nice. I like it when his radio show callers yell FREEEEDOOOOOOMM. When I've had debt, it felt like this constant little monkey on my back. Besides, who wants to make a banker rich by paying him interest? Turn the tides on him and make him pay you.

metro
03-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Yep. Hey Drumsandcode, what station is Ramsey on locally? I usually listen to his DVD's, etc.

stlokc
03-16-2007, 04:09 PM
I think a lot of you are being too hard on Edmond. I grew up there, and it didn't seem that snobby. Most of the restaurants were of the fast food or chain (Applebee's, Chili's etc.) variety. Most of the kids went to public school and public college. The Wal-Mart was the biggest retailer in town. There were more Minivans than Mercedes. I know there is money in Edmond, and in general it has gotten wealthier since I lived there, but generally that is a sign of hard work and diligent saving. And I know there are snobs there. But don't let a few bad apples spoil the image of the entire city. There are many, many places out there that are way snobbier than Edmond.

writerranger
03-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Yep. Hey Drumsandcode, what station is Ramsey on locally? I usually listen to his DVD's, etc.

Metro, You can listen to Ramsey on 1000 KTOK from 7-10pm. But the really cool thing is the Dave Ramsey online archives. All his shows up to the current day are online (free) at:
The Dave Ramsey Show (http://www.daveramsey.com/radio/home/index.cfm?FuseAction=dspContent&strMode=dspShowArchives)

--------------------

drumsncode
03-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Metro, You can listen to Ramsey on 1000 KTOK from 7-10pm. But the really cool thing is the Dave Ramsey online archives. All his shows up to the current day are online (free) at:
The Dave Ramsey Show (http://www.daveramsey.com/radio/home/index.cfm?FuseAction=dspContent&strMode=dspShowArchives)

--------------------

I can't quite think of how that slogan goes about the Paid-off mortgage replacing the BMW as the new status symbol...etc...

Since paid-off mortgages can't be flaunted like BMW key-chains and such, Dave needs to create some t-shirts that people can wear into the Edmond Panera Bread just to p*ss off some of those 9-dollar-sandwich-eating, two-paychecks-away-from-a-for-sale-sign-in-the-yard people! :-)

I want my t-shirt!

Patrick
03-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Soccer moms that hang out at Target can indeed be some of the snobbiest people in Edmond.

Karried
03-16-2007, 08:50 PM
That's pronounced Tarjay .. btw

Angelicfly
03-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Geez. This whole snobby thing makes sense now. I understand why people won't talk to me! Also explains why someone let me into traffic the other day when I was dressed up for my job interview yet when I am out walking the dog I usually wear old jeans and band tee and I am avoided. Finding a full time job was near impossible so I am taking a part-timer.

I can say that grocery store down the street.... Crest Foods or something---everyone there during the day is quite nice! That's the most people interaction I get.

Deni
03-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Edmond is indeed snobby... I had to go there to pick up some supplies and I stopped at Shell .. I was the next in line and asked the sales clerk if that store sold frapps, she looked right past me and asked a guy if she could help him. I said hey I was next, but I dont want the frapps now..

I mean I was not dressed down or anything.. I drive a freaking sports car. My nails are done my toenails are done? My hair was even fixed that day. Maybe it was because I did not have an Arbonne Sticker on my car...

Karried
03-17-2007, 07:32 AM
This reminds me of a fan ranting on a Texas board saying he hates all of Oklahoma because a hotel here screwed up his reservations.. on and on... Oklahoma sucks, I hate Oklahoma, the people are backwards, inbred, trailer trash, on and on and on.... all because of a bad customer service experience at an hotel.

What a shame that all of us were lumped together because of one unpleasant experience with a clerk.

Just like here.. a rude gas station clerk makes the entire town of Edmond snobby. Perhaps she was having a bad day. I don't know..

Deni
03-17-2007, 10:27 AM
I should have phrased that different.. I am sorry I bunched everyone in the same catagory..

I kinda told that clerk off... I know everyone in Edmond is not snobby esp the police officer that pulled me over for running a very slowwwwwwww light.. He was awesome.. lol

Patrick
03-17-2007, 11:00 AM
I can say that grocery store down the street.... Crest Foods or something---everyone there during the day is quite nice! That's the most people interaction I get.
I agree. But, remember that Crest is on the west side of Edmond, which generally isn't as snobby.

Patrick
03-17-2007, 11:02 AM
I should have phrased that different.. I am sorry I bunched everyone in the same catagory..

I kinda told that clerk off... I know everyone in Edmond is not snobby esp the police officer that pulled me over for running a very slowwwwwwww light.. He was awesome.. lol

Probably because you went into a Shell. Had you gone into 7-11, I but the situation would've been different. Edmond snobs hang out at the more upscale service stations.

I notice I usually don't have the problem in Wal-Mart in Edmond. I think it's just the more upscale stores that attract the Edmond snobs.

Deni
03-17-2007, 01:39 PM
7-11 dont sale my flavor of Frapps.. Dont worry I explained to the clerk how rude she was.. The guy she ignored me for walked out the door with me ..

Deni
03-17-2007, 01:42 PM
What I find so funny is that I live in Blanchard there is more money out there than in Edmond.

Twin Creeks Golf and Country Club is in my back forty.. I dont think people realize how rude they come across because they think they have more money than someone else.. I mean I could see if I stunk she would ignore me or be rude to me.
I am not impressed because your ego is bigger than your common sense. I wont be rude to you if you are not rude to me first, but if you are ever that rude to me you bet I will tell you.

Karried
03-17-2007, 03:06 PM
I can't understand how a clerk making minimum wage in a gas station felt superior to a customer.. nearly everyone makes more than her. What the heck does she have to be snobby about? She's working in a convenience store.

If I were stuck working there, I'd be pissed off too. Gas went up again, everyone's probably taking it out on her.. she's probably not a snob, she just hates her job.

Maybe that's why she was rude, worried about how to pay her bills or something. Chances are if you are a woman working in a convenience store, you're not driving an Arbonne Mercedes.

Now, if you would have said a car salesman working at the Lexus dealer turned his nose up or acted snobby or something ... then I might understand, but a clerk? I just don't get this.

Patrick
03-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Gas went up again, everyone's probably taking it out on her..

Blame that one on George W. Bush.

Angelicfly
03-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Blame that one on George W. Bush.
AMEN.

I also agree on the 7-11's... thats where I fill up and even though there's scary people hanging around outside the people working there aren't too bad. I did get cut off by a richy lady driving a HUGE-MUNGOUS Super Useless Vehicle when I was trying to put gas in the U-Haul I used to move here. She caused me to have to back out and over a curb :( I swear I'm not that bad of a driver!!!

Keith
03-17-2007, 07:54 PM
AMEN.

I also agree on the 7-11's... thats where I fill up and even though there's scary people hanging around outside the people working there aren't too bad. I did get cut off by a richy lady driving a HUGE-MUNGOUS Super Useless Vehicle when I was trying to put gas in the U-Haul I used to move here. She caused me to have to back out and over a curb :( I swear I'm not that bad of a driver!!!
That's ok.......it sounds like you drive like Patrick:LolLolLol .

mranderson
03-17-2007, 08:18 PM
"Now, if you would have said a car salesman working at the Lexus dealer turned his nose up or acted snobby or something ... then I might understand, but a clerk? I just don't get this."

Not me. No one is any better than anyone else. Just because someone sells Lexus is no reason to think you are better than someone else.

pepper37
03-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Edmond has snobs, sure - but so does every other town in Oklahoma. Being a snob is not about where you live, but who you are as a person - in other words many people with money worked very hard to get it and don't have to prove how superior they are by being a snob - if you are a snob just because you have money or because you feel superior for some insane reason, then that says more about who you are as a person. Being rude is being rude, no matter what economic status you hold or where you live. btw- I live in Edmond/DC (about 5 years) and love it.