View Full Version : Crappy Night

Karried
02-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Okay, I'll admit - waking up to tornado damage could be a lot worse..

But, who else, tossed and turned, left the TV on all night, didn't sleep hardly at all and set their stupid cell phone to receive weather alerts all night long ensuring that once you actually drifted off, a shrill tone would jolt you out of a restless slumber and set your heart racing and adrenaline pumping thus ensuring another hour of tossing and turning?

Probably not too many.. lol, but I'm not used to this crap! I'm from California where I think I've seen lightening 3 times in 35 years.

Heavy sigh.. all night long, I was convinced ( thanks to Rick) that we would have a night tornado and I'd end up in OZ.

I'm tired and grumpy and I'm actually missing earthquakes about now.

Martin
02-24-2007, 09:25 AM
i can't imagine thinking like that... i guess growing up here makes a person desensitized to all that severe weather business. then again... i'd probably freak out if i was ever in an earthquake... even a minor tremor. -M

bandnerd
02-24-2007, 09:43 AM
We live right next to a tornado siren, I'm a light sleeper, and the hubby goes to bed really late, so I wasn't going to worry about it.

I know the plan, what to do when/if the time arrives, and I know where everything is I need to get before we head to shelter. There have been fewer times than I can count on one hand that I have actually been close enough to the path of a tornado to seek shelter.

Easy180
02-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Had way too many beers at Dan McGuinness and slept right through the night

Perfect way to be prepared for a potential tornado...Think I read it in Rick Mitchell's storm handbook :cheersmf:

Karried
02-24-2007, 04:02 PM
ha,ha.. okay, next time, I'll follow Gary England's drinking game.. even if it hits.. at least I'll go out happy.

Actually, looking at damage in Arkansas.. we really did dodge a bullet ... now Memphis is under a Warning until 9:00pm.. wow

I Hate tornadoes.

Easy180
02-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Of course we all know Moore is bulletproof when it comes to tornadoes!

We stopped in to say hi to a friend next door to the pub and a young couple was in front of us looking at the weather on tv...They asked us if Moore had any storm shelters

Only response I had was "Yeah I'm sure we do just don't know where"...They weren't really soothed by that response for some reason

Guess I should know these things before spring huh? :bright_id

Karried
02-24-2007, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't be looking for a storm shelter there.. I'd be headed for Texas if I thought one was coming towards Moore. Something about the tornadoes hitting there is too coincidental for me... my friends lived there when the F5 hit.. a horrible thing.

Lauri101
02-24-2007, 07:50 PM
I guess I'm desensitized also - I was just pissed off because BOTH "Numbers" and "Law and Order" had the first half cut off! At least they could have replayed them later - geez:cuss2:

MadMonk
02-26-2007, 08:48 AM
:mad:
I know weather prediction is an "iffy" thing at best, but come on! I think I got a trace of rain after dire predictions of "Storm 2007". If our weathermen keep crying wolf like this I think it makes it even more dangerous because we do get desensitized and may not pay as much attention when there really is good reason to be hysterical about the weather.

I've been in OK for 28 years now and can remember what it's like to go from never even thinking about tornados to hanging on every word from the weatherman about them so I feel for you Karried; and the breathless, overly dramatic predictions have gotten a lot worse in recent years (gotta get those ratings).

Karried
02-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Madmonk, you are so right! I worry now about not paying attention to the weather reporters any longer because the last few times I've gotten all worked up over the weather, nothing happened! Ever since I had kids, it seems I can find anything and everything to be worried about.. I don't need this extra worry over nothing!

But, a few things do scare me.. night tornados being one.. I worry about getting to the kids in time .. that's what keeps me up all night.

I just had a light bulb moment.. I have a new plan.. I'm putting them in the shelter before they go to sleep! "It's fun kids, let's pretend we're having a campout! No, no, no campfire down here ... no you can't stretch your legs..you can sleep sitting up.. be a sport!" ha,ha

Did anyone catch the commercial mocking the weather reporters? It was sort of hilarious -- Chad Stevens with his ruler ha.ha..

jbrown84
02-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Rick said it would, huh?

ultimatesooner
02-26-2007, 09:46 AM
the only way a tornado would wake me up is if it turned off my ceiling fan

Intrepid
02-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Only response I had was "Yeah I'm sure we do just don't know where"...They weren't really soothed by that response for some reason

Guess I should know these things before spring huh? :bright_id

Actually, the City of Moore public information channel (Ch 20 I believe) is now posting a bulletin that "THERE ARE NO PUBLIC SHELTERS IN MOORE FOR SEVERE STORMS"

There, now you no longer have to wonder. :tiphat:

Easy180
02-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Well that is reassuring :rolleyes:

Guess their advice is to head south to Norman since they never get hit

Deni
02-26-2007, 10:55 AM
I was raised in Ok and been through a few of those bad weather moments.The bad part is I dont listen to the weather anymore..

During the so called tornado warning I was getting a pedicure and my nails done.. I also went to dinner then shopping.. I guess if a tornado would have come I would have looked good blowing away..