View Full Version : What is your Area of Expertise?

Keith
02-24-2007, 06:52 AM
In another thread, several members have posted some things that they are experts at. Whether it is a skill or something that you are very knowledgable about, tell us about it.

This is not meant to be a debate thread, it is meant to let your fellow members know what you do the best. This is a time that you can brag about yourself. Just be truthful......and respect other members' comments.

I'll comment on mine later today (yes, I actually do have skills in a few areas).

ksearls
02-24-2007, 07:09 AM
My husband says I'm an expert on everything !

bandnerd
02-24-2007, 07:37 AM
I'm beginning to be an expert at the teenage psyche. I'm not sure how that skill is going to help me later in life, though...

My main expertise, as in what I studied for most of my life, is music. I have my weak points there, though, just like anyone would. I'm beginning to be more of an expert at photography, and writing, simply because my job demands that I be one.

Karried
02-24-2007, 08:04 AM
I know just enough about everything to make me dangerous ...

I actually can't claim to be an expert on anything .. there is so much to learn. New things all the time.

I'm good at computing, I can speed read, I'm good with people and have a good sense of humor, I'm good with kids, I'm a good listener and communicator, I can talk to anyone, anytime, I'm not shy, I'm very open minded, trusting and accepting of people. I'm good at marketing, knowledgeable about real estate, business operations, running a household and budget, etc etc.. but an expert? No.

I would have to say I pride myself on trying to be a great partner and a great parent by trying to learn, read and take classes regarding these life skills.

But an 'expert'.. Nope, I don't think I qualify as an expert...even after 30 plus years of 'practicing' in relationships (I started dating young - many long-term relationships!) .. things still surprise me and throw me for a loop.

I'm always open to learning new ways of approaching issues.

Easy180
02-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Degrees are in Finance, but I don't really utilize it in my current job....Job is going away in May so I hope to get into underwriting or loan operations

Can't really say I am an expert in anything other than 10 key...Woop De Freakin Doo :banana:

dirtrider73068
02-24-2007, 10:20 AM
I can do just about anything, guess I am a handyman, most of my experince is in automotive repair, have lots of schooling on it plus the work I have had to do to my own plus other vehicles to get them back going again. MOst repairs around the house I can get done, and some of the time I can use what I have laying around or what I have pack ratted and kept to fix something and it not cost me anything or I cna go get stuff I need and keep it cheap. So guess I am just handy all around.

Lauri101
02-24-2007, 10:58 AM
In no particular order:

Degree - B.S. - Accountancy
Tax Preparation and problem resolution
Auditing - small business, oil and gas, transportation industries
Website design - moderate, html/Dreamweaver
Webmistress - NTEU 45 Website (http://www.nteu45.org)
Labor Law and negotiations
Computer hardware installation - built my own pc
Telephone maintenance, inside plant - 5 years in Air Force with specialty electronic engineering
Journalism - associate degree
Speed reading - 1200 wpm w/ 80% comp
Published author - technical manuals for revenue agents
Published author - fiction, short stories
Instructor - train-the-trainer, Junior Achievement Project Business, 9th grade public schools
Leadership - President, Local Chapter National Treasury Employees Union, State of Oklahoma (5 years)
Traffic and Safety Commissioner, Midwest City, 10 years
CPR/AED qualified for instructor/certified

None of these were occupations of either parent!

Karried
02-24-2007, 03:21 PM
None of these were occupations of either parent!

Then you can't be an expert! lol ... just kidding!

AFCM
02-24-2007, 03:54 PM
The opposite sex and guitar.

dirtrider73068
02-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I thought of something else I can do, weld and do some basic metal work, more so cutting grinding and welding stuff back together.

Keith
02-24-2007, 06:31 PM
I am not an expert on these things, but I am good at them.

Writing feature stories, typing, and editing. Taking pictures.....

I am also very organized, and believe that everything has its place. I love to plan things and have been told numerous times by other people that I do a great job of planning.

I have a good sense of humor, and I am good at math. I am the one that pays the bills in the house, and I am also the treasurer of a non-profit organization.......so I enjoy working with figures.

I am also good at multi-tasking. Where I work, I have to be able to answer the phone, dispatch on the radio, and type information in to the computer....all at the same time.

I am good at yard work and I pride myself on a job well done.

Deni
02-25-2007, 09:39 AM
ummm expert..

SHOPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spending money
and not being able to put much back in savings...

There are alot fo things I do well but these I excel in ...lol Just ask me..

Now if I was using other peoples money to shop with I am sure I would be even more of a pro...

NE Oasis
02-25-2007, 11:52 AM
My job title is Industrial Maintenance Technician . Kinda uses my strengths of troubleshooting mechanical and electrical failures, and gives me the chance to use the skill sets I enjoy like research, planning/scheduling, and reading.

MadMonk
02-26-2007, 08:34 AM
I consider myself an expert in certain computer-related areas. Windows PCs, servers, Active Directory and SAN design and management. Hopefully as I continue studying, soon I can add higher-level networking technologies to that list.

I don't consider myself at expert level, but I have a good amount of experience in automotive repair (previous career) and a wide variety of handyman skills gained by performing my own home repairs and improvements over the last decade or so (i.e. I can tile like a mo-fo) :)

Dirtrider, one thing I've always wanted to learn was welding. I'm sure there's nothing like the feeling that you can fix anything metal. Just never had the time or opportunity. Maybe when I'm retired... ;)

jbrown84
02-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Movies and TV Shows
The Hollywood Industry
National Parks

Karried
02-26-2007, 09:33 AM
(i.e. I can tile like a mo-fo)

Hey mr mo fo... I am seriously considering doing the backsplash on our kitchen since everyone in OK is independently wealthy and doesn't need the work.. big flakes.

Anyway, how hard is it actually?

Hubby has done commercial construction 20 years plus so I know it will be straight.. I'm thinking about renting a tile cutter at Home Depot.. the tile we are using is slate so I'm worried about cutting that and having it break.. any expertise in this area?

I know I have to get mastic, a trowel, grout and a 12 pack to get through it without killing each other .. any suggestions?

CMSturgeon
02-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Finance, escpecially auto, and high risk.

MadMonk
02-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Hubby has done commercial construction 20 years plus so I know it will be straight.. I'm thinking about renting a tile cutter at Home Depot.. the tile we are using is slate so I'm worried about cutting that and having it break.. any expertise in this area?

I know I have to get mastic, a trowel, grout and a 12 pack to get through it without killing each other .. any suggestions?
I haven't worked with slate, only ceramic and porcelain, but I imagine that it works much the same way (I know granite does NOT). Most of my experience with tiling has been with floors, with only a little experience helping a neighbor with his bathroom countertops.

It's really not that hard and can be pretty fun. When I started out my wife and I were working on our own home so I bought a book from Home Depot that pretty much spelled everything out. You might consider getting one. If nothing else, it will remove some of the "mystery" to the process.

Unless you like doing things the hard way, a tile saw is a must (renting is great, borrowing from a neighbor is even better ;)). You need the mastic, grout, a two or three 5-gallon buckets, a notched trowel, a grout float, a bag of the little white t-shaped tile spacers, some big sponges and some patience. A small pointed trowel comes in handy sometimes too for the hard to reach areas.

Oh and save the 12-pack for afterward if you like straight tiles - my neighbor can vouch for that. :drunk:

Karried
02-26-2007, 03:01 PM
LOL ... good idea on the 12 pack! I'll let you know how it turns out.. thanks for the info!

Deni
02-26-2007, 03:09 PM
we are in the process of adding 800 sq feet to our house.. We had an addon built but we are doing the inside ourselves. OH my hell.. We had to build steps from the living room to the addon and I want you to KNOW I am now an expert on building semi-round stairs...

I even stained them and now they are the color of red clay mud. We are making the addon like an old barn. SO far it looks awesome I will keep you up to date on the progress..

SpectralMourning
02-26-2007, 08:52 PM
It's really not that hard and can be pretty fun. When I started out my wife and I were working on our own home so I bought a book from Home Depot that pretty much spelled everything out. You might consider getting one. If nothing else, it will remove some of the "mystery" to the process.:

The big orange book? That book rocks. Hopefully here soon I'll be at the point where I won't need it. I plan on checking out a few carpentry programs at the community colleges around the metro. If I had my way, I'd be fighting fires, but that's nowhere near feasible right now in my life.

I guess at this point, I'm somewhat knowledgeable in automotive service. I'm picking up peanuts as an expo for a local restaurant here for now. I'm an expert in useless knowledge though, if that counts for anything...

Deni
02-26-2007, 08:56 PM
you are Never and I repeat never supposed to read the destructions for ya put anything together if you are a man ...

SpectralMourning
02-26-2007, 08:59 PM
you are Never and I repeat never supposed to read the destructions for ya put anything together if you are a man ...

:ohno: I broke the code!!

I also said something was adorable a few posts back. Haha, maybe I'm a shame to all that is man...

Deni
02-26-2007, 09:11 PM
adorable and I missed it????

Geeze this speed reading is for the YANKEES

Cornbread
02-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Expert at Recruiting (Headhunter) have be doing this for 20 years.
Novice but soon to be expert... metal detecting and treasure hunting.

oumoodman85
02-27-2007, 07:59 AM
1) Degree in Political Science, so the following:
- International Politics
- History of the CIA/ Covert Action
- U.S. foreign affairs in general
- History/ Politics of the Middle East

2) I have a very analytical mind, and am a very adaptable person:
- Learned advanced finance through on-the-job experiences
- Worked on Wall Street (Investment Banking Corporate Finance)
- Have been recruited by 7-8 of the largest intl.banks (Citi, UBS, Merrill, Goldman, etc).

3) Finally, I am very much a generalist—meaning I am a student of many things:
- International business (from my dealings on Wall Street, I like to stay informed)
- Many different academic subjects—most notably biology
- Golf, Football (college), and other sports and their histories (mainly golf)

RussBraaten
03-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Karried, You will have no problem with the back splash but one hint to save money and frustration. Lay all the full tile pieces in one day and rent the wet saw the next day to fill in all the cut pieces. If you have any other questions or need help you can email me.

I don't know about expert... but I know my way around tile and any other home repair, especially electrical and plumbing. I can patch drywall like there never was a hole in it. :)

I am told by friends that I know more stuff about more things than they have ever seen. Plus I am a reasonable and generally jocular guy. I am pretty good with people and my doctors have told me I should have been a psych type person.

I can figure out most things mechanical and up until recently I was an expert at taking calls at 3AM from friends who needed me to. I think I am a little too tired now though. I wish I were an expert at healing up, My 48 year old body passes for 35 but feels 75 or older.