View Full Version : ‘MAPS 3: Revenge of the Myth’

BailJumper
02-22-2007, 09:59 AM
‘MAPS 3: Revenge of the Myth’

Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Oklahoma Gazette - Oklahoma Gazette - Your Entertainment and Food Source (http://www.okgazette.com/news/templates/commentary.asp?articleid=1190&zoneid=6)
Ron Black

It has all the makings of an epic science-fiction adventure film: City leaders are faced with the loss of tax revenue and scramble to find new and innovative ideas to convince the unsuspecting taxpayers that the only way to save the city is to continue a previously successful sales tax.

Behind the scenes, we know that light-rail is what the city leaders want, but the taxpayers won’t buy the concept if it is rolled out wholesale by the leaders — they have to make the taxpayers believe it was their idea from the beginning. The protagonist, a charming mayor surrounded by supporters from the chamber of commerce and civic leaders, presents a Web site where taxpayers can pretend they are part of the plan.

OK, maybe it’s not an epic science-fiction film, but more like the episode of “The Simpsons” when a gentleman comes to town and sells the residents on their need for monorail. Because, make no mistake, “MAPS 3: Revenge of the Myth” is all about light-rail, whether we like it or not.

And, with all due respect to Oklahoma Gazette contributor and former gubernatorial candidate Vince Orza (Commentary, “MAPS 3?,” Feb. 7, 2007, Gazette), Oklahoma City is not San Antonio, Texas, where a river truly does run through it. In Bricktown, we have a ditch.

Neither is Oklahoma City’s music scene to be compared with Nashville, Tenn. — a city whose musical heritage is as natural to it as red dirt is to us. This is not to say that Oklahoma City doesn’t have talented musicians, but to compare Oklahoma City to Nashville is intellectually dishonest at best.

Orza’s infomercial for Oklahoma City University aside, the real issues for the MAPS 3 project are twofold: First, how it is being pitched to the public in Central Oklahoma, and second, that the real heart of the project is, and will continue to be, light-rail.

While former U.S. Rep. Ernest Istook served in Washington, parades of city leaders strolled through his office, bemoaning the fact that Oklahoma City didn’t have light-rail. Light-rail has been the Holy Grail, the brass ring of downtown politics for decades. Although studies commissioned by the former congressman’s office have proven that Oklahoma City does not have the population density to sustain light-rail without severe taxpayer subsidy or private-sector subsidy, city leaders want Oklahoma City to look and feel like a big-league city, and, after all, how can we look like a big city without dramatic photos of light-rail operations in our chamber marketing material?

When former Mayors Ron Norick and Kirk Humphreys presented their bold initiatives to the public for approval, they had definitive plans that the taxpayers could sink their teeth into, and today, Oklahoma still is savoring the veritable feast of growth and development their leadership brought to the taxpayer dinner table. MAPS 3, conversely, is a decidedly different menu item altogether. One of the least creative marketing strategies presented to the public since “The Music Man,” it leaves a bitter aftertaste.

The problem for proponents of MAPS 3 is that we the people don’t need band uniforms and understand fully that light-rail, although an intriguing and sexy concept for any city, is not needed, either. Perhaps the whole conservative concept of not having unnecessary tax burdens is an archaic concept, but it is one that the masses appreciate and embrace.

Black, the artist formerly known as “The 400-Pound Gorilla,” is a political consultant and former talk show host living in Edmond.

floater
02-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I would rather Black take his brand of conservatism up the turnpike to Tulsa where he can share in the stagnation.

floater
02-22-2007, 11:40 AM
I didn't mean to rag on Tulsa, I just wish those who don't want change to leave, because it's happening whether they like it or not.

AFCM
02-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Oklahoma City doesn't have a large enough metro population to support light rail now, but will by the time the projects would actually be complete, which is nearly 20-30 years from our present day. Also, one thing Black forgets to mention is the large geographic area Oklahoma City encompasses. A city this large geographically will need light rail in the future, especially while gas prices continue to rise. I don't understand what's wrong with a big city attitude, especially when that attitude is putting our metro on the map. I don't mind if our leaders talk big city projects as long as we walk the walk and produce. Now is an exciting time for Oklahoma City and the leaders are right in capitalizing on the momentum to push for mass transportation. I just hope Ron Black is around in 30 years to eat some humble pie.

jbrown84
02-22-2007, 12:42 PM
I just hope Ron Black is around in 30 years to eat some humble pie.

He may be forced to move to Amarillo to get away from all this "new-fangledness".

mranderson
02-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Oklahoma City doesn't have a large enough metro population to support light rail now, but will by the time the projects would actually be complete, which is nearly 20-30 years from our present day. Also, one thing Black forgets to mention is the large geographic area Oklahoma City encompasses. A city this large geographically will need light rail in the future, especially while gas prices continue to rise. I don't understand what's wrong with a big city attitude, especially when that attitude is putting our metro on the map. I don't mind if our leaders talk big city projects as long as we walk the walk and produce. Now is an exciting time for Oklahoma City and the leaders are right in capitalizing on the momentum to push for mass transportation. I just hope Ron Black is around in 30 years to eat some humble pie.

Again, someone not thinking ahead. If we do not plan and build now, the cost will skyrocket when a major need arises. Plus, to build it takes about ten years. So. BUILD IT NOW!

okclee
02-22-2007, 07:16 PM
There is a reason his radio show was cancelled in Okc.

Kerry
02-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Maybe if Black had explained what was wrong with OKC having a rail transit component he might make a better arguement. I am trying to think and I don't recall any city in America saying "Crap, why did we spend all that money on transportation improvements. Maybe we should take this road/runway/rail system out. What were we thinking."

As for OKC not being big enough to support rail, just how big do you have to be? Little Rock has a rail system and they are a fraction of the size. Madison, WI has a rail system and they are smaller. Jacksonville, FL has a rail system and they are smaller. I'm sure the list can go on and on. Maybe what Black really meant to say is,"Rail will work in every city except OKC." Nice outlook.

BG918
02-22-2007, 11:18 PM
I was driving down Broadway downtown today and realized it could make a nice corridor for LRT. It's dense, runs through the middle of the CBD, has lots of retail/restaurant opportunities south of 10th Street all the way to the new blvd., and has a left turn lane in the middle that could be converted into ROW for track. I was thinking what would be the best way to connect the OUHSC/Research Park with downtown and Bricktown and I thought maybe 10th from the HSC over I-235 and then down Oklahoma into Bricktown but until The Triangle really starts to transform that area it would be hard to convince voters. Broadway though is already very 'happening' and is only a couple blocks west of The Triangle and Bricktown and heads all the way down by the Ford Center and convention center and could be extended to the new Core to Shore stuff as well. Just thinking about that today and how I do hope MAPS III is largely devoted to rail transit and people like Ron Black don't derail it...again!*

* Remember the original MAPS had a rail component, but Istook shot it down...

mranderson
02-23-2007, 07:18 AM

To whom are you rerfering?

(This applies to everyone) It would be quite helpful to others if you would quote the post to which you refer.

SoonerBent
02-23-2007, 08:19 AM
While I disagree with Ron Black on this and many other issues I have to say that his radio show wasn't cancelled. WKY switched to spanish-speaking music and all the talk shows they aired went away.

BailJumper
02-23-2007, 08:37 AM

Another example of putting one's mouth into gear without first turing on their brain.

I for one agree 100% with Black. As I have said before, light rail in OKC is a money pit.

metro
02-23-2007, 09:17 AM
This guy needs to get the heck out of Dodge (I mean OKC)... It's jerks like this that give Oklahoma a bad name and set us back 20 years.

BailJumper
02-23-2007, 09:27 AM
This guy needs to get the heck out of Dodge (I mean OKC)... It's jerks like this that give Oklahoma a bad name and set us back 20 years.

You're right, the equal expression of ideas has no place in this state! I say tar and feather him at the first opportunity.

Easy180
02-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Have to agree with bailjumper on this one...Light rail makes me yawn....Way down on my list of enhancements I would like to see made in the metro

BailJumper
02-23-2007, 10:40 AM
How about fixing the miles of pothole filled roads that are traveled on by hundreds or even thousands every week before we spend millions on moving a bunch of empty trains around the city.

jbrown84
02-23-2007, 01:51 PM
How about fixing the miles of pothole filled roads that are traveled on by hundreds or even thousands every week before we spend millions on moving a bunch of empty trains around the city.

That's not a MAPS project, just like teacher pay isn't. Solve those problems elsewhere. MAPS 3 will have light rail. Black is right about that.

okclee
02-23-2007, 09:24 PM
I do apologize to Mr. Black for stating that his show was cancelled.

brianinok
02-24-2007, 07:44 AM
That's not a MAPS project, just like teacher pay isn't. Solve those problems elsewhere. MAPS 3 will have light rail. Black is right about that.jb, you are exacly right. MAPS3 is for projects (I lean toward thinking only capital projects) that don't get funded through otherwise typical means. I don't think that MAPS3 should have as many projects as the original MAPS, but a few larger projects. With some wiggle room, I think it should included (1) Light rail in the Downtown/OU Med Center/Capitol area, (2) Commuter rail from Edmond to Downtown OKC to Norman utilitizing existing track (I assume this can be done. This will save money.), (3) extension of Myriad Gardens to the south a number of blocks toward the river, creating a "Central Park" type atmosphere, and (4) a new convention center along the eastern side of the larger Myriad Gardens, just south of the new boulevard.

One thing we do not want to create is a segmented downtown, and that is a risk here. With a new convention center (that is much, much larger than the Cox Center), we have to assume there will be additional hotel growth in its immediate area. I strongly believe that the new convention center should be along the eastern side of Robinson Ave, just like the Ford Center and Cox Center. Robinson Ave needs to be made very walkable and obvious on both sides. Wide sidewalks with nice planters or something. I don't think light rail should run along it (it should probably run along EK Gaylord/Shields, with stops right by both convention centers). You should be able to stand at the corner of Robinson & Sheridan (beside the Colcord Hotel, and 2 blocks or less from the Renaissance, Sheraton, & Skirvin Hilton), look south, and see an unobstructed view of the new convention center and any hotels built beside it.

When convention and meeting planners look at our city, they want to see a place where everything they will utilize is within walking distance. Right now, if I was at the Skirvin Hilton and had to go to SW 7th & Robinson, I would not think to walk. We will have to make it obvious that it can be walked. In my opinion, all existing hotels, Bricktown proper, the Cox Center, Ford Center, the new convention center & its hotels should all be within a 12 block diameter (maybe 15 blocks?), and Robinson should be extremely walkable.

I think locals will come up with names for the areas, maybe as simple as "north downtown" (north of the boulevard) and "south downtown" (south of the boulevard). I think it goes without saying that we need to break down those barriers by making it obvious they are a seamless transition. Locals and visitors don't need to think about hopping in their car to get from one or the other.

<Soapbox over>

Patrick
02-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Just remember, there were naysayers in Dallas-Ft. Worth as well, that said the city was too spread out for commuter rail to work. Look at DART today.

And I don't believe this guy's conspiracy stories. I firmly believe that the reason Cornett and Company launched the MAPS 3 website was to get a guage of where public interest stood, and what they were interested in seeing.

And our city leaders are thinking about the future of OKC, not about today. Today we don't need commuter rail, but 20-30 years from now, when our population has exploded, we will need it. And BTW, there's no more room to widen Broadway Extension, so commuter rail is our answer. It's cheaper and more environmental friendly than building more roads and highways.

Saberman
02-24-2007, 10:54 AM
I lived in Washington, D.C. many years ago when they were just starting to build the transit system there. From places like Manassas, VA. they used the center median for the trains, this is ground that does not need to be aquired. I don't think it would be a problem getting the Federal gov approval to use I-35 from Norman, and the Broadway Ext is a State Hwy.

Some below grade stations or platforms would provide great shelters during bad weather for people on foot near these stations.

BG918
02-24-2007, 05:04 PM
^ Or use the existing tracks or ROW. Commuter rail would be easier because those thing are already in place.

jbrown84
02-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Some below grade stations or platforms would provide great shelters during bad weather for people on foot near these stations.

Very good idea. You should send that in at the MAPS 3 site.

Saberman
02-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Arn't the north/south tracks still being used by BNSF. Guess if the right of way is large enough, they could add a second track.

BG918
02-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Arn't the north/south tracks still being used by BNSF. Guess if the right of way is large enough, they could add a second track.

They would definitely need a second track. That stretch has freight trains running every hour of the day, one of the busiest rail corridors in this part of the country. I believe there is enough ROW though to do that, if BNSF allowed it. That second track would also be good for Amtrak which has to share its track with the freight trains.

SoonerDave
02-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Count me in on the "no way" crowd on Light Rail. Black's assessment is spot-on.

It sounds sexy, it looks good in the marketing brochures, but it can't be sustained. The backfill of manufactured "public support" in the form of the "Let's solicit ideas on a website and pick out the ones that say Light Rail" just makes it that much sillier.

No one needed a website or a poll to concoct the notion that Oklahoma City schools were a mismanaged cancer, thus there was no question that MAPS 2 was going to succeed (even if it was going to be subsidized by people who benefitted from it not one whit, but that's a secondary issue). Light Rail is a solution in search of a problem, but no doubt one they're going to come reaching into my pockets to subsidize.

-SoonerDave

Kerry
02-26-2007, 04:05 PM
To the nay-sayers let me ask these two questions.

1. If a MAPS 3 plan comes to a vote and it has a rail component would that be enough for you to vote against the whole plan?

2. Did you vote yes for MAPS 1?

mranderson
02-26-2007, 04:10 PM

1. If a MAPS 3 plan comes to a vote and it has a rail component would that be enough for you to vote against the whole plan?

Although not a nay sayer, my answer is yes. To the second part. Had I lived in Oklahoma City at the time, then yes. (I was in the garbage pit at the time)

Easy180
02-26-2007, 05:03 PM

Actually live in Moore so wouldn't have a vote, but if I did it would depend on what else was included...If the rest of the proposal was interesting enough then light rail wouldn't sway me enough to vote no

BadGorilla
05-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Ron Black Radio - The 400lb Gorilla (http://www.ronblackradio.com/p222-maps-iii-told-you-so) Op/ed I wrote for the Gazette.

NewsOK: Public transit tops MAPS 3 survey (http://newsok.com/article/3058002) Oklahoman story; notice the quotes.

Told ya.

jbrown84
05-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Whatever you thing, Ron, it seems 85&#37; of the public disagrees.

Tim
05-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Whatever you thing, Ron, it seems 85% of the public disagrees.

Well then...85% of the public is stupid! Cuz I'm Ron Black! I gave myself a nickname! I a 400lb gorilla! Puhleez.

BadGorilla
05-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Whatever you thing, Ron, it seems 85% of the public disagrees.

I'm not denying the fact that people may "want" light rail - that, my friend, isn't the point. The point is two-fold:

1. We have a tax that is about to come off the rolls and previous leadership made it clear that the tax was needed for specific projects.

2. The propaganda machine has been running full-tilt to promote the concept of light rail for years so we shouldn't be surprised when people think that light rail is a good thing - even though we don't have the population density to sustain it without severe public subsidy.

There was a town once that was convinced the solution to their problems would be to purchase band uniforms. And they did.

I like light rail! I think it would be a very nice touch to the city, but are we ready to subsidize the thing with tax dollars? I am not "there" yet.

Misty
05-24-2007, 03:27 PM
I do see your point, I was half tempted to submit, and then resubmit over and over, my suggestion for more bike lanes/sidewalks. But, I decided to just submit once. The people that really want light rail easily could have submitted the ideas many times. I like (actually prefer) public transportation myself, but outside of the folks living downtown I don't know of very many other people in this city that want it, so I was very surprised by this story, but it works for me!

CuatrodeMayo
05-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Ron Black lives in Edmond. Of course he doesn't like light rail.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
05-24-2007, 03:35 PM
A majority of metro citizens would love to have a better public transportation system. The only problem is that COTPA will be in charge of it and nobody wants to see the COTPA regime expanded.

okclee
05-24-2007, 03:39 PM
As gas prices continue to increase and they will, public trasportation will become a neccessity for a city to survive. That is why you see 85&#37; of the people want more options for public transportation.

soonerguru
05-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Count me in as a major proponent for "smart" light rail. By smart, I mean something people can actually integrate into their lives. Our bus system sucks, as the schedules don't work for people who need it (and there are plenty who use it anyway, without any alternatives). We need something that will run at least until 10 p.m. and traverse important corridors. We also need commuter rail.

Remember: that we may not seem to absolutely need it now is not the issue. With transportation planning, you look years in advance. Even if approved, we won't see anything for another 8 to 10 years. We need to be planning for future needs, not just ones we have today. And with $4 gas lining Cheney's pockets, the "future needs" are infinitely closer.

BadGorilla
05-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Ron Black lives in Edmond. Of course he doesn't like light rail.

Before I moved to Edmond, I lived in Oklahoma City - but that doesn't really matter because we're not talking about a property tax, are we?

I shop in Oklahoma City frequently so I would be impacted, as would everyone who shops in Oklahoma City.

okclee
05-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Are we talking about a 1 penny sales tax??

brianinok
05-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Are we talking about a 1 penny sales tax??Yes. Initially, we were paying it for MAPS, now we are paying it for MAPS for Kids. A MAPS3 would simply continue the current 1 cent sales tax for X (5 or 7 maybe?) years to pay for its projects.

okclee
05-24-2007, 06:11 PM
I see no problem with the 1 penny MAPS tax to continue for the next 50 years if it continues to better our city.

blabare
05-24-2007, 06:57 PM
1 cent? If that can do good (whatever its used for) go for it. Whatever they propose you are going to have your whiners and compainers. Nothing is going to make everyone happy....

I'd say go for the light rail. At the rate the metro is growing lets get it done before the highways are gridlocked. Maybe even some of those Edmond people would take the train and park their 75K Mercedes or Hummer for a day or 2 :)

jbrown84
05-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Who notices a penny? I sure don't.

The fact is we need to plan for growth, and I'm not conviced that "severe" public subsidy will be required.

Patrick
05-25-2007, 01:27 PM
And we've been being sharged the extra penny since 1992. So, it's not like your taxes would go up by voting for MAPS 3.