View Full Version : The river's drained again

BDP
02-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Anyone knows what's going on? I hope they fill it again by the time the Big XII tournament starts?

bombermwc
02-21-2007, 10:59 AM
I thought it was filled back up this morning? I know it had been low a few days ago, but it was full again.

BDP
02-21-2007, 11:35 AM
It was drained under agnew this morning. The east end may be full, though. I don't know.

bombermwc
02-22-2007, 07:30 AM
Oh, I only see the east portion, I can't see the west area from where I am on the road. I guess they are filling from the east back to west then?

soonerguru
02-25-2007, 11:49 AM
I would almost not be surprised to see the river and canal drained during the tournament. Oh wait, a former city employee is now retired. Surely our city leaders are paying attention to details like this, right?

brianinok
02-25-2007, 02:01 PM
They weren't smart enough to have the Crystal Bridge open during the Big 12. It closed in January and reopens in April. I am still shocked that was allowed to happen.

bombermwc
02-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Well sometimes maintenance schedules don't cooincide with particular events. But with the gardens, I can't imagine it would have attracted a really huge amount of business. The two crowds just dont mix on that type of entertainment most of the time. They'd rather go eat and see a movie than look at a garden....just my opinion though. I would say the same goes for the river. They can't exactlly DO anything on the river right now, so what does it matter?

BDP
02-26-2007, 02:03 PM
It matters because of image. The more things that are open and working, the better image the city has. It's just like when businesses are closed in bricktown during events. It gives the image that that much less is going on.

The crystal bridge and the river are assets to the city only when they are open for business. What is the use in having these things if we can not benefit from them at our moments of highest exposure, even if it's only superficially and tangentially, especially when that is the main capacity in which the assets are serving the community to begin with, as is the case with the crystal bridge and, currently, the river. That's sort of like having the Space Needle or the London Eye closed during large events. Obviously, that's a totally different scale, but so are those cities. In either case, it's a lost opportunity and results in a liability to have what amounts to some of our featured attractions closed at a time when thousands will be visiting the city.

BTW, the river seems to be filling.

redland
02-26-2007, 02:42 PM
It matters because of image. The more things that are open and working, the better image the city has. It's just like when businesses are closed in bricktown during events. It gives the image that that much less is going on.

The crystal bridge and the river are assets to the city only when they are open for business. What is the use in having these things if we can not benefit from them at our moments of highest exposure, even if it's only superficially and tangentially, especially when that is the main capacity in which the assets are serving the community to begin with, as is the case with the crystal bridge and, currently, the river. That's sort of like having the Space Needle or the London Eye closed during large events. Obviously, that's a totally different scale, but so are those cities. In either case, it's a lost opportunity and results in a liability to have what amounts to some of our featured attractions closed at a time when thousands will be visiting the city.

Right on---and well expressed!

jbrown84
02-26-2007, 03:38 PM
I would say having the river filled is much more crucial than having the Crystal Bridge open. At least there will be signs indicating it's undergoing a major upgrade. Maybe that will be an incentive for people to return when they have more time to see OKC.

The river on the other hand is seen from the interstate by those driving in and those coming from the airport. People won't be going down there, but yeah, it's a huge image thing to make sure that has water in it. I love the view looking east to downtown from I-44.