View Full Version : Here's an interesting question:

AFCM
02-19-2007, 06:24 PM
What would you do if a friend of yours was being investigated for a background check...say to get on the department as a cop or to fill a position in the military? Let's suppose, back in the day, you two used to hit up the pipe and experiment with all sorts of drugs; not to mention you know this guy had a history of breaking the law that was never documented. Now, would you sell out your friend and be truthful or would you lie and pass him off as a saint?

I don't know where I get these questions, but it is entertaining to read some of your thoughts. Be truthful.

Easy180
02-19-2007, 06:39 PM
I would probably vouch for the person if over the last 5 or 10 years they had matured and stayed away from drugs or criminal activity...Not one to hold a person's past against them if they have learned from it and moved on...But at best I would try and just tell them I didn't remember this person doing anything of this nature and steer clear of telling them absolutely no way

If they still slipped up even rarely I would likely inform them of his past

AFCM
02-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the response, Easy. How about this; the guy owes you money. Now, what do you do? J/K.

Deni
02-20-2007, 04:46 AM
is this you ACFM? and are you running from the law??lmao J/K:busterbun

NE Oasis
02-20-2007, 06:50 AM
I would treat the situation like being on the witness stand in court - Understand the question, and answer as specifically as possible. I would not lie, but if asked something vague like "Is this person honest?" I would not feel the need to bring up a stolen candy bar from 20 years ago.

AFCM
02-20-2007, 07:20 AM
is this you ACFM? and are you running from the law??lmao J/K:busterbun

No, I'm a good boy. Sometimes, I just think of stupid scenarios or questions for no reason at all. I've had too much time to ponder lately.

Karried
02-20-2007, 08:09 AM
This is a tough one because I know of many cops who shouldn't be on the force ... they are jerks to their wives and families and behind closed doors, but their buddies cover for them ( or don't realize that they are such jerks).

If it was way in the past, I wouldn't mention it.. or say "I don't really recall but based on recent behavior and current events, he/she would fit well in your establishment" or something equally meaningless and not incriminating.

or I could say "I don't remember because I was too wasted - man could he party!" .. ha,ha..

Depends on how well I knew the person I think and if they would serve the position well based on current events.

OKCComputers
02-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Alot of factors would have to taken into account... but as long as this friend has never decieved me, none of them would matter as long as I could favoribly answer this 1 question:

Would he do it for me?

julieriggs
03-01-2007, 11:15 PM
For a federal government clearance, I think they only look at your last ten years. If one EVER used illegal drugs, they are required to disclose that information - but if it was adolescent experimentation, outside of a ten year window, it shouldn't prevent that person from getting the security clearance.

If a past drug user conceals the info and is found out, automatic denial. I used to have a link for a .gov site that briefed clearance denial and appeal cases, interesting stuff! I'll post if I can find it.

I've been used as a business reference by dozens of contacts and never been asked about past drug use or other personal behavior - just work performance.
~J

julieriggs
03-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Fascinating stuff: 2002 Industrial Security Clearance Decisions (http://www.dod.gov/dodgc/doha/industrial/2002.html)
...what a nerd I am!

If you read enough of them, it becomes obvious that HONESTY is a lot more important that youthful transgressions.

I don't have any experience with "hitting up the pipe" or breaking the law with an old friend :D so I can't really answer the original question. But I would have to tell the whole truth, if I was asked about someone I knew... especially if it was a military or fed position.

I was once called by State Dept for a former co-worker. Nice guy, highly intelligent and educated, but emotionally/mentally the guy was off. I didn't come right out and call him crazy, but the interviewer understood that I felt the guy had issues. He was a good friend, but it wouldn't have been safe for him or good for the country for him to be working in that environment.