View Full Version : What Would You Do?

Keith
02-17-2007, 08:02 PM
1) You are driving down a main city street in the middle of the day. You come up on a stalled vehicle, and there is an attractive lady by the vehicle waving at you to stop. Do you stop and help her, do you call 911 and report a stranded motorist, or do you just go on?

2) You are going through the check out stand at a 7-11, and you purchase $6.75 worth of merchandise. You give the clerk a $10.00 bill and he/she hands you back change for a $20. You know they gave you too much change back. Do you give the money back to the clerk, or do you write it off as stupidity on the clerks part and keep the money?

3) You are in Target, Wal-Mart, or another department store and you witness someone shoplifting. Do you find the nearest employee and report this to them, or do you just walk out of the store because you don't want to get involved.

4) You are working at your job and notice a co-worker stealing from your employer. Do you report this employee, or do you turn and look the other way?

dirtrider73068
02-17-2007, 08:30 PM
1) You are driving down a main city street in the middle of the day. You come up on a stalled vehicle, and there is an attractive lady by the vehicle waving at you to stop. Do you stop and help her, do you call 911 and report a stranded motorist, or do you just go on?

2) You are going through the check out stand at a 7-11, and you purchase $6.75 worth of merchandise. You give the clerk a $10.00 bill and he/she hands you back change for a $20. You know they gave you too much change back. Do you give the money back to the clerk, or do you write it off as stupidity on the clerks part and keep the money?

3) You are in Target, Wal-Mart, or another department store and you witness someone shoplifting. Do you find the nearest employee and report this to them, or do you just walk out of the store because you don't want to get involved.

4) You are working at your job and notice a co-worker stealing from your employer. Do you report this employee, or do you turn and look the other way?

1. Depends on area, I would drive up locked doors roll window down a little and ask questions with it still in drive for a fast break away.

2. Thats part of the clerks fault should be paying attention, I don't paid to do there job but if am in good mood, I may say something.

3. Don't hard to say I haven't been in that situtaion before, but may say something to somebody but the way I have been screwed by walmart or target, oh well there loss.

4. Yea I would say something but at my job they wouldn't do anything about it, since they are too scared of the guy that takes things anyway.

mranderson
02-17-2007, 09:19 PM

1. Unless I knew them, I would drive on. It is too dangerous to stop these days.

2. Keep the cash. Just like dirtrider said, it is the clerks fault.

3. Probably mmob.

4. Depends on the amount and who it was.

Deni
02-18-2007, 05:49 AM

1. Well depends.. I would probably call for help though at least being a woman and all.

2. Of course that is stealing no matter what and that is why we have to pay so much for things because of dishonest people and not smart people working behind the counter.

3. I would say something, I hate paying higher prices because of thieves. Good gosh I am glad I dont have Mr Anderson and dirt working for me.

4. Yes I would also confront the person stealing, they could blame you.

Martin
02-18-2007, 05:51 AM
1. on a main city street during the day, i'd drive on. it's not too hard to contact help in that situation. i do agree about the danger component to this... you've got to be careful.

2. return the change. sure, it's the clerk's fault but honesty is more important than who's right.

3. if it was something bigger than, say, a pack of gum i'd get involved.

4. i'd report it no matter what. if it's a friend, i'd approach him first to give him the opportunity to come clean to the employer.

-M

drumsncode
02-18-2007, 07:41 AM
1. No attractive woman, waving for help, is ever stranded for long. Don't even make me go there! Of course I'd stop.

2. I just say "I think you gave me too much back", and let them correct it. Next time you go into that store you get treated even better.

3. If I was SURE I saw shoplifting, I'd warn a store employee to watch them.

4. That happened to me when I was 19. I ignored it, because the guy stealing was above me in rank. I didn't like it though. He later got caught anyway. Years later, I'm still not sure what I should have done. Life isn't always easy.

Lauri101
02-18-2007, 09:48 AM
1) Call 911
2) Give the money back
3) Find an employee to tell or go to customer service to report
4) We are actually under a code of conduct that says if we don't report a fellow employee, WE are subject to disciplinary action. Like mmm, if the person is a friend, I'd give them a chance to confess

Despite my liberal attitude and "hippie" upbringing, I am unwilling to compromise the integrity issues. To me, numbers 2, 3 and 4 are givens. Number 1 is more because I was once stranded on the side of I-40 for 2 hours before anyone stopped to help. It was very frightening - I'd hate to see anyone, male or female, go through that.

writerranger
02-18-2007, 10:26 AM
1 - Stop. Absolutely.

2 - Give the money back. Everyone makes mistakes and it's their livelihood.

3 - Report the incident to management. No question.

4 - Sworn to report. I have no real option to look away (and still sleep at night).

---------------------------

SpectralMourning
02-18-2007, 12:22 PM

1) I always try to help. It really depends if you're capable of doing it at the moment. Sometimes it can get a little weird, like letting a homeless guy call his mom for a ride (I figured if he really needed my cell phone that badly, he would've taken it and that would've been that. Really weird.)

2) With small stuff like that, I'm not sure if I'm cursed or not with a guilty conscience. It's funny that you would mention 7-11 though, it seems to always happen there. There and McDonalds.

3) I've never actually witnessed someone shoplifting. I did report smelling weed in the Poweraid tent at the Texas State Fair some years ago to a DPD Sergeant down the path, but I think that was more for my own amusement :biggrin: If you gotta party and be stupid, don't do it when kids are around.

4) Once again I've never had to deal with that. Regardless it is petty and more than likely targets the company than the employer, their original intent. Both aren't exactly ideal, so I probably would say something.

AFCM
02-18-2007, 02:03 PM

1) Its hard not to help a damsel in distress, but in this day in age women (generally speaking) want to be treated equally with men, so I'd treat her like a man and assume she can take care of it herself. At the very least, I would call 911 and report a stranded motorist.

2) I'd give the money back. Sure, the clerk is at fault by giving you incorrect change, but mistakes happen. A question to ask yourself is, "Would you speak up if the clerk shorted you on change"? Why ignore the mistake just because it benefits you? I can't sell out my morals just for a few bucks. Besides, at the end of the day, the clerk will conduct a changeover and have to pay back the register for whatever's missing. So, remember you're not taking money from 7-11, but the guy behind the counter. It makes it more difficult to take the money when you see the person who's going to pay.

3) I'd tell an employee, but I won't care if the person gets caught. It's not like a few stolen items are going to put Wal-Mart under or anything. I can sleep knowing billionaires are getting ripped off, but unfortunately, theft hurts the bottom feeders much worse because it's indirectly coming out of their pay. So, I'll let an employee know, and my hands are clean.

4) If we work at Initech, I'd say, "No way man, I saw this in a movie once, and it totally didn't work". Otherwise, I'd just tell my supervisor and let him deal with the issue.

Rage 2.0
02-18-2007, 03:20 PM

1. It depends on the area. I don't mind helping out but there better be some motorist drving by for me to stop and help.

2. Keep the money... If the clerk isn't awake to relize that they gave me to much cash then see ya...

3. Of course I would say nothing. It's not my business... I stay away from that crap. It might bite you in the butt if you aren't careful...

4. I would close my eyes and turn the other way. That's the last thing on my mind having a worker pissed off at me... I stick to my job and finish it.

Karried
02-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Is the right thing to do to call 911? Or would it be 511?

I think 911 is for ongoing life threatening emergencies. Or fire or imminent danger. Does anyone know?

SpectralMourning
02-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Protocol anymore is to call 911 for non-emergency calls as well. I still don't completely understand the logic behind it, but that's what they said.

Keith
02-18-2007, 07:30 PM
I guess I should answer my own questions.

1) I am the type of person that will stop to help a female that is stranded. If she has a dead battery, then I can jump it. I am not a mechanic, so if it is something mechanical, I can make a phone call for her. I will not allow her to get in my truck for any reason. I will stay and wait until her help arrives.

2) Everybody makes mistakes. If a clerk gives me too much change back, then I will inform them of it and give the money back. Honesty is the best policy. IMHO, if you keep the money, knowing that you were given too much back, it is stealing. Even if the clerk makes a mistake, keeping the extra money is stealing. Many times, if a clerk is short on their drawer, they either have to pay it back, or lose their job. Where I work, we have several vending machines. When I receive too much change back, I always turn it in to the proper individual. Why? Because it is not my money.

3) If I happen to see a shoplifter, I will inform an employee of the store. After that, I let them deal with it. I am sick and tired of shoplifters getting away with things, and causing our prices to go up.

4) If I observed a co-worker stealing, then I would definitely turn them in. Even if it caused a stir in the office, I would still report it. I can't stand a thief.

Keith
02-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Protocol anymore is to call 911 for non-emergency calls as well. I still don't completely understand the logic behind it, but that's what they said.
Actually, if you have a non-emergeny, you can still call 911. When the operator answers, inform her that you do not have an emergency but that you need to report something.

Karried
02-19-2007, 08:46 AM
I remember some months ago a lady called 911 because she thought the police officer was cute and they came out and arrested her..

So now, I'm afraid to call 911 unless it's a true emergency - I guess reporting something would be different but still.... makes me wonder.

mranderson
02-19-2007, 09:09 AM
I remember when I lived in Dallas, I called the emergency number commonly called 911 (I do not shout "call 911," I just say call the police, paramedics or fire department), and got chewed out by the dispatcher because my call was not an emergency. I asked him what number I should call and he would not answer my question.

When I had some noise complaints in Oklahoma City, I called the emergency numer (again, 911) and told them it was only a noise complaint and what happened in Dallas. The dispatcher told me the guy in Dallas was wrong in chewing me because it made me affraid to call if I needed help.

drumsncode
02-19-2007, 09:42 AM
I too, was afraid to call 911 when I walked into my mother's burglarized house. I explained my fear to the dispatcher and they were cool about it. They routed the call to the correct party, and they told me it was the right thing to do.

It's a stinking shame that the police have made us afraid to call our own emergency number, the one that we pay for with our own money.

dismayed
02-19-2007, 10:53 PM
1. This has happened to me before. I called 911 on my cell phone and reported a stranded motorist as I approached and then got out to see what was going on. I figured this way if it was some kind of fakeout the police wouldn't be far behind. :)

2. This also has happened to me. I made a cash withdrawal at a bank and was accidentally given $50 more than what I was owed. I realized this later that day when I balanced my accounts. I returned the money the next day. The lady who handed me the money thanked me because it was going to mean her job if she couldn't figure out what had happened to the money. I don't take people's money that I haven't earned, especially at the expense of harm to them.

3. This is a tough one. Technically, if I remember my law correctly, you can put anything from the store in your pockets and it is perfectly legal. It doesn't become shoplifting until you walk out the door without paying. I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt and let the sensors or the guys at the doors catch them.

4. Report it. Most big companies have policies set up where you can end up in trouble for not reporting something like this.

AFCM
02-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Dismayed, #3 is a tricky one where basically you have to prove "mens rea", or criminal intent. Technically, until the individual leaves the property, he hasn't committed theft but I do believe, if one can prove "mens rea", an individual can be charged with attempted theft if merchandise is concealed. It has been about five years since I last took a course in Oklahoma statutes, so I don't want to give incorrect or partial information. I'll look into this subject and get back with you later.

OKCComputers
02-26-2007, 01:22 PM
1) Stop and help, Iv'e been there before too.

2) Twice that I can recall this has happened to me. First time I gave it back, Lost honor isn't worth a few bucks.

Second time was alittle different but same principle.
I was traveling to Oklahoma from Missouri to visit my grandfather, stopped for gas and the usual... payed and drove off... tank of gas later I stop again I fill up and go to pay, realizing I had about another $30 bucks more than I "should" have. (knowing the whole time how much money I have)

So it comes to me that I somehow missed something, looked around for a reciept but no luck. To this day I KNOW that when I payed, the gas wasn't rung up.

Thats always kind of bothered me, being so late at night and with driving, I couldn't begin to guess which exit I took to stop that night.

3) OK, (A) What is this persons appearance, homeless, average joe....
(b) is this a food item, is so and my answer to (a) was poor/homeless, then I would likely look the other way. If not a item of vital nessesity, yes I would (and have) notify a employee.

4) They have a job obviously, so I don't think this person would have any valid excuse to steal.