View Full Version : Another Parking Concern

redland
02-15-2007, 04:18 PM
I know that parking has long been a concern for all of Bricktown. However I would like to direct this thread to the particular case of Harkins Bricktown 16 theater. The theater advertises hundreds of free parking spaces, and theoretically this is true. However Bricktown patrons of other venues have long ago discovered that using the spaces around the theater is an answer to their parking woes since the area is not monitored and it's a short walk to almost anywhere else in Bricktown. Thus as time goes by it gets harder and harder for theater patrons to find a parking space---on nights when the Hornets are playing, forget about it!!! And as further development takes place in lower Bricktown, the problem will only get worse.
I think Oklahoma City is fortunate to have a movie complex in its downtown core, something very few other major cities have, and I would hate to see the parking problem become so severe that it threatens the very future of the the theater. Certainly no movie theater can survive without free parking. I don't have a solution to the problem myself and don't know if the management of the theater has expressed concern, but wonder if others have given any thought to this question.

SpectralMourning
02-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Don't they have plans to put a parking garage in the lot in front of U-Haul? I'm not sure if they do or not...

jbrown84
02-18-2007, 08:45 PM
There definitely should be a parking garage there. They should also enforce the parking for LBT only on busy nights like Hornets game nights and friday and saturday. I must admit I have used the free lot to go to other Bricktown locations, but only usually when there is plenty of parking available.

BailJumper
02-19-2007, 05:54 AM
I hear the theatre is no having problems with attendance. Personally, if an individual is the least bit concerned about close parking they will probably choose a different theatre. We go there, but only on weekend mornings.

Remember when they tried to limit access to the small lot East of Sonic? Every Monday morning I would see the gate had been broken off or tire tracks going around it. I think they finally gave up.

MikeLucky
02-19-2007, 08:47 AM
I always fail to understand the constant complaining and hand wringing about Bricktown parking. I have been to Bricktown to go to movies, Hornet's games, baseball games, concerts, or for just going out.....

I have NEVER, EVER been without a parking spot within very close walking distance of my destination for more than $5..... sometimes free...... even when I am down there are there are multiple events at once...... still never had a problem......

I just don't understand the constant barrage of "parking problems" conversations.....

BailJumper
02-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Whether or not you personally have experienced it, even the city acknowledges it is a problem. I've had problems parking on weekend nights, so, my answer is to avoid BT during high traffic weekends.

However, during nice weather, I find the walk to be part of the 'experience.'

BDP
02-19-2007, 02:10 PM
even the city acknowledges it is a problem

Actually the city has done studies which have concluded that there is more than enough parking spaces downtown and in bricktown to support multiple major events going on at once and those studies have been proven correct several times. If anything, it is overbuilt with parking given its typical level of traffic and occupancy. I have heard the city acknowledge that there is a parking perception problem and they have tried to implement better way finding for people looking for parking.

When you think about it, the distance walked from your parking space to the movie theater on a busy night is not much farther, if at all, than the walk from your car, to the door, and through Quail Springs Mall to get to that theater. IMO, the only problem is that lower bricktown was built in such a way that you walk through the parking lot and not along the canal to get to the theater. People don't seem to mind the walk through the malls and routing pedestrian traffic that way would have done wonders for its retail possibilities. Of course, in OKC, we'd probably still have people complaining that they had to walk at all, even if it was along a well decorated canal front.

AFCM
02-19-2007, 02:32 PM
I went to Bricktown Friday and parked in the lot west of the Centennial and there were two people manning the entrance and giving out parking stubs. Of course, they routinely explained the concept of buying from the Lower Bricktown patrons, keeping the receipt, and leaving for free. I ended up going to Earl's and I kept the receipt, however, when I left no one was manning the exit to take it. I left and noticed the people at the entrance and I thought, "Wow, I didn't need a receipt at all". Maybe it was an isolated incident, but it was worth mentioning.

WichitaSooner, I partly agree with you because I've never had problems finding parking near Bricktown. I also have to wonder why some folks in OKC still expect to find curbside parking in an entertainment district. However, I see a cause for concern on game nights downtown. Also, someone mentioned Harkin's losing business because of parking, which is another reason to construct a garage. I still think, though, the main problem with parking is the people's mindset. Maybe the reason I never have a problem finding parking is because I'm willing to walk. Perhaps, people are just looking in the wrong places. Can you expect to find immediate parking south of Harkins on a weekend? If the answer is "no", why do people insist on driving up and down the lot trying to find something opening up?! "Maybe if I drive up and down the lot enough, someone will eventually leave and I can have this space all to myself". Let's see, what are your options at this point? You can pay 5$, and if five is going to set you back, you probably shouldn't be going to an entertainment district in the first place; or, you can do a little ground pounding and work off the wings you just had at Hooters. Seriously, buy a pedometer, walk and see how long of a walk it is from your parking spot to your destination. You'll see it's not really that bad.

BDP
02-19-2007, 04:02 PM
"Maybe if I drive up and down the lot enough, someone will eventually leave and I can have this space all to myself".

Yeah, and then they spend more time driving up and down the lot, than if they just kept going until they found the first open spot and starting walking.

Watson410
02-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Remember Oklahoma City... Excercise has never killed anybody!!! Not to my knowledge anyways. :-) That being said, stop crying about not being able to park at the Toby Kieth/Harkins parking lot. Try parking somewhere down "Club Row" AKA Sherdian for those that don't know. It's only $5... If you want to park for free try Bass Pro or even the parking lot to the south of Bass Pro and enjoy the excercise. For those that are too lazy to walk from Bass Pro to Harkins, you can sit in your car until you see the shuttle bus and jump on it.... that is why they have that you know.

SpectralMourning
02-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Even then, maybe they can open up a few lining retail shops like those in front of the Harkins building on the other side of the building, once the interstate is destroyed and they build a new rear facade on the Harkins building, if that's the plan. That way, they'd get the same distractions as those you get at Quail.

jbrown84
02-19-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't think it's the back of the building in question. It's that if you walk from the Bass Pro lot you cut through the parking lot as opposed to walking along the canal.

BDP
02-21-2007, 10:46 AM
That's true, jbrown. The canal was all but ignored in the development of lower bricktown. The canal is where all foot traffic should be. Instead, there's very little traffic, nor should anyone expect it.

Maybe, just maybe, the Centennial will change that a bit. I believe it will have attractions at the canal level.

jbrown84
02-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Yes, it will help. The biggest problem is the parking lot. I honestly can't think of a way that they could better divert traffic to the canal-side. I suppose having storefronts would have helped, but I still think people would have cut behind all the buildings to go to the theatre. They definitely shouldn't have put the enterance to Toby Keith's on the parking lot side, as opposed to on the canal.

SpectralMourning
02-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Good points. What's sad is that I had not even considered the canal in my post...

Another thing to consider is that most renderings of Core to Shore have the canal running through the parking lot in between the U-Haul building, the Centennial, and Harkins. The only thing logical would be to put a smaller parking garage in the spot directly north of U-Haul. Maybe underground parking with entertainment spots on the surface could be ideal.

Since the Centennial has canal-level entertainment, maybe LBT is warming up to the canal. Hopefully then they will start installing shops along the canal below current surface locations, if engineeringly possible.

johnnyboyokc
03-04-2007, 03:23 AM
parking is education...........learn the area.........if you want free parking you can find it (inconvinence though)...........however if it was a mall atmosphere everyone would be searching for spaces....right

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
03-04-2007, 03:51 AM
One thing I never understand about parking is why does everybody have to park close to the door or to the area they are going. You are going to be walking anyway so what is the problem with a few extra foot steps.

For example:

Wal-Mart, you park close to the door so you can walk around 200,000 sqft of shopping space.

The mall, you park close to the door so you can walk around 1,000,000 sqft of shopping space.

You park close in Bricktown so you can walk around 5 city blocks. Not to mention the climb up and down the stairs at the arenas or ball park.

I think it is safe to say that as a society we need a lot more excercise.

I find good parking where everwhere I go because, I stay away from the places I know everyone else is going to go. I pick somewhere that is a happy medium between front and south 40.

dirtrider73068
03-04-2007, 09:03 AM
One thing I never understand about parking is why does everybody have to park close to the door or to the area they are going. You are going to be walking anyway so what is the problem with a few extra foot steps.

For example:

Wal-Mart, you park close to the door so you can walk around 200,000 sqft of shopping space.

The mall, you park close to the door so you can walk around 1,000,000 sqft of shopping space.

Ain't that the truth, I when I go to wlamart I find the best closest space I cna find park it hop out get with it and get out faster than that poor sap wasting his gas driveing up and down the isles look for that up front space so they cna be close, I have gotten in to arguements withmy other half because I will grab the first one I see. I can get any spot and bew in the door before that person can drive around to get a close spot. Ihave done the same thing in BT, had a monster truck event at the Cox center, I next door under the myriad I think it was, walked up0 the stairs, across the street and into the cox center and up more stairs to me seat, no big deal no was no place closer, plus haveing to go up stairs you can't get any closer, just find a spot park it and walk, it does a body good, if not then don't go leaves more space for those that do.

Prunepicker
03-06-2007, 10:36 PM

That's hilarious. Have you ever noticed that almost anybody will park next to the building and walk farther than if they parked in the main parking lot.

Parking is a prime example of how self-centered or me-first a person is. When you ask people why they park where they do the answer almost always starts with "So I..." or "Because I..." Handicapped parking can be an exception, but not everybody with the HC privilege really needs it.

I know someone who'll park in the outskirts so others can have the close spots.

Prunepicker

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 10:59 AM
My dad parks on the outskirts so no one dings his car.

Karried
03-07-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm not so concerned about walking the extra distance.

I try to park close to the doors for safety reasons. Something about parking lots at dusk or dark scare me to death. I like to park under the lights close to the doors if have to go out alone at night. I try not to.

Prunepicker
03-12-2007, 11:49 AM
My dad parks on the outskirts so no one dings his car.

When I had a nice car I did the same thing. Dates hated it.

My dad would scratch cars with his key if they took up 2 parking spaces so nobody could ding their doors. It was absolutely wrong but he did it. Keys can leave an awful mess.

Prunepicker

CMSturgeon
03-12-2007, 12:41 PM
The only time I'm concerned about the walking distance is when I'm dressed nice and wearing high heels that kill my feet, then I don't mind paying. But I went once, can't remember what was going on, and we literally drove around for like 15 minutes in Bricktown looking for a parking spot and every lot was full and we couldn't even find anything in Bass Pro (which is usually where we park). We ended up leaving Bricktown and eating somewhere on Meridian. I've never keyed a car for taking 2 spots but it really pisses me off. We need more of those fake parking tickets that mutter something along the lines of 'learn how to park a-hole.' And can't you freaking get real parking tickets for that? If so, I wish it was more enforced. I think if you pay $5 for a space in a lot and then you take up two, the attendant shouldn't let you leave until you pay another $5. I would do that, it's rude and bad for their business.

jbrown84
03-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Well, did you try the ballpark garage, or the Ford Center garage?

And I agree it would be really tacky in a place like Bricktown to take two spots. Most people only do that in strip malls with their oceans of pavement.

Prunepicker
03-13-2007, 03:11 PM
...we literally drove around for like 15 minutes in Bricktown looking for a parking spot and every lot was full and we couldn't even find anything in Bass Pro (which is usually where we park). We ended up leaving Bricktown...

You should have parked in the downtown area on a trolley route and taken it to Bricktown. There's a place on Meridian that has a trolley stop, too. You can find that information and all about the trolley system here:

Junk To Know About Trolleys (http://www.gometro.org/metro_transit%20folder/metro_transit/orange_line.htm)

The public garage on Gaylord is good, too.

Prunepicker