View Full Version : What are the best restaurants native to Oklahoma?

Pages : [1] 2

AFCM
02-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Off the top of my head I can only think of a few.

Charleston's, which is a favorite of mine started in OKC, I believe. Zio's (and Mazzio's) started in Tulsa? There's Eskimo Joes, and I keep hearing of some fried chicken place in Okarche that supposedly is unmatched. What are some of the best restaurants from Oklahoma. (Don't include Braum's or Sonic...they don't count for obvious reasons)

Lauri101
02-15-2007, 02:25 AM
Cattleman's!

Hands down, the best steaks anywhere - we have friends from Texas who come here just to eat at Cattleman's.

Easy180
02-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Royal Bavaria in Moore has great German food and their brewed beers are excellent....Their bread tray with homemade pretzels is a must

Another fav is Deep Fork on N Western...Pricey, but very good

oldglory
02-15-2007, 10:09 AM
What are the hours of operation for the Rolyal Bavaria??

Easy180
02-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Here is a link to their website, which shows their hours...It is a great place oldglory

Royal Bavaria, Restaurant und Brauerei (Brewery) (http://www.royal-bavaria.com/restaurant.html)

oldglory
02-15-2007, 11:35 AM
cool thanx....

oudirtypop
02-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Off the top of my head I can only think of a few.

Charleston's, which is a favorite of mine started in OKC, I believe. Zio's (and Mazzio's) started in Tulsa? There's Eskimo Joes, and I keep hearing of some fried chicken place in Okarche that supposedly is unmatched. What are some of the best restaurants from Oklahoma. (Don't include Braum's or Sonic...they don't count for obvious reasons)

The chicken place in Okarche is Eishens. Unbelieveable. We drive from norman over an hour to eat there sometimes.

Hideaway is high up on my list. Charlestons, which is also my favorite!

AFCM
02-15-2007, 01:10 PM
I've never had Eishens, but if they're that great they need to pack up and head to OKC. I'll have to give them a try, especially considering I've heard nothing but great things about their chicken. The German food doesn't sound too bad, either. Thanks for the input.

y_h
03-01-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm casting my vote for The Varsity. They have been taking bar food to an elevated level for about 20 years now. When I lived in OKC from 1990 to 1993 I ate there no less than once a week on average - probably inching towards a twice weekly average during my final year of law school. When I finally returned to visit OKC after a 12 year hiatus, the big V was among the first places I visited and I was ecstatic to find that very little had changed and the food was just as good as my first visit there in May, 1990. I think the combination of fresh ingredients, an honest to goodness charcoal grill and a commitment to staying a small, closely held and managed operation has preserved their outstanding establishment. Trust me when I say I have eaten in plenty of similarly formatted restaurants in many, many cities in the USA and I can state with all sincerity that very few if any of them can match the Varsity when it comes to the quality and quantity of food served and the overall dining experience you get in the sports bar/grill category. I wish that they'd open a St. Louis outpost, however in a way I'm glad they've kept their reach relatively modest. I can remember when TGI Fridays and Houlihans were much smaller enterprises and their food was nearly on par with the Varsity, however once they developed into full blown national chains, the processes (and the food) became too institutionalized; corners got cut in the interest of cost and uniformity and my interest in them waned. Those chains may be highly successful now, but their product is certainly a shadow of its former self. I'm glad the Varsity has remained true to its origins and I will look forward to my next visit (hopefully this fall).

Easy180
03-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Hadn't seen ya post in a good while y_h....Just now getting over Mizzou's ending to their season?? :eek:

metro
03-04-2007, 09:31 PM
So AFCM when you started this thread are you talking about chains, non-chains or both?? For the most part, it seems like people are talking about chains that were started locally. We've had several threads in the past talking about local spots only or "hole in the wall places", etc.

And whomever is wrestling with going to Eichens Bar in Okarche, it is well worth the drive!!

OKCDrummer77
03-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Swadley's Barbecue: excellent food, friendly people, and reasonably priced. I've never had anything but an excellent experience there.

I also have to second the vote for Hideaway Pizza and Eskimo Joe's (it pains me, as an OU fan, to admit that...).

NE Oasis
03-13-2007, 10:39 AM
I've never had Eishens, but if they're that great they need to pack up and head to OKC. I'll have to give them a try, especially considering I've heard nothing but great things about their chicken. The German food doesn't sound too bad, either. Thanks for the input.

If Eischens left Okarche they would suffer! Part of what makes it great is the attention to detail you can only find in a small town. For steak or ribs (and the chicken ain't bad neither) try Ken's Steak House in Amber. The all you can eat fried okra on the salad bar is a rare treat too. Open Thurs-Sat, cash or check only. If you go and don't like the food, show me a receipt and I'll re-imburse you!

Easy180
03-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Ken's is definitely worth the drive...I feel guilty loading up a half pound of okra on my plate, but I do it anyway since it's so dam* good

Get there early as the line gets long very quickly!

CMSturgeon
03-13-2007, 12:25 PM
The chicken place in Okarche is Eishens. Unbelieveable. We drive from norman over an hour to eat there sometimes.

Hideaway is high up on my list. Charlestons, which is also my favorite!

I'm guessing Pizza Shuttle didn't originate in Oklahoma since you're from Norman and didn't list it. lol. A pizza place that is open and/or delivers until 4am. AWESOME. Just like those 24 hour Subways.

okclee
04-10-2007, 02:49 PM
When I was in college at OU, I lived on the Pizza Shuttle. Never have I seen so much grease ontop of a pizza, excellent.

jbkrems
04-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Iron Starr and Cheevers (same ownership)

Deep Fork Grill (I-44 and Western)

These are by far the best native to Oklahoma.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-17-2007, 06:01 AM
When I was in college at OU, I lived on the Pizza Shuttle. Never have I seen so much grease ontop of a pizza, excellent.

I've seen that much grease on a pizza in one other place only, and that was at a bar/grill at one of the marinas on Texoma. I had two slices and my gallbladder threw up a little white flag and took cover behind my liver.

Local places...Hmmm...What's that place in the ballpark? Coach's? Is that local only? I've always had GREAT food in there. Their Railyard Amber Ale is in my top 10 favorite beers too.

okclee
04-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Iron Starr and Cheevers (same ownership)

Deep Fork Grill (I-44 and Western)

These are by far the best native to Oklahoma.

If you are truly wanting to treat yourself to an excellent meal, you can not go anywhere else but "Deep Fork Grill". This is by far my favorite restaurant in Okc if not anywhere. The fact that it is local is just the icing on their cake.

kevinpate
04-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Kendall's, back in Noble where it belongs after it road tripped to Norman and Purcell for a spell. Best non-dive chicken fried steak I've ever had, and better than most of the dive CFS's I've amply enjoyed over the years.

kevinpate
04-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Longhorn beef at Meer's in sw Oklahoma .... well worth the trip

Martin
04-17-2007, 05:40 PM
whoa... kendall's is back in noble? i went about six months ago and it was still in purcell on the southernmost purcell exit just east of i-35 in what looked like an old hotel lounge... have they for sure moved again? -M

mranderson
04-17-2007, 06:03 PM
One really good one is Skyline which is on SE 15, just west of Eastern. If you go there, be sure to take some of that obsolete green stuff to pay your bill.

Jack Wonder
04-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Simon's Catch, south of Elk City just outside of Merit

metro
04-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Don't forget about Meers Restaurant in Medicine Park down by the Wichita Mountains!

kevinpate
04-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Kendall's is indeed back in Noble.

I haven't a clue if they kept the Purcell store or not, but they've been back in Noble for a tad over a year now.

They are in the same place on the corner on S. Main they used to be, smack downtown on Main. Give them a call at (405) 872-0303 or go see them this weekend.

I'm not certain of Friday eve hours but Saturday will find them serving it up, as only Kendall's can, from 11 am to 8 pm. I suspect Friday hours are the same.

I don't know about Fridays for certain because if I want a Chicken Fry on a Friday, I just hit the special at O'connell's for lunch. I like my Kendall's, to be sure, but I'm a die hard O'Connell's fan, and have been for a couple of decades.

kevinpate
04-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Meers Restaurant is actually in Meers, a wee bit to the northwest of Medicine Park, and north of the Wichita Wildlife Refuge.
The Meers Store & Restaurant - Meers, OK - (580) 429-8051 (http://www.meersstore.com/location.html)

Longhorn burgers and really great brisket are only two of the many reasons to make that drive, and it'll be difficult, but do save room for dessert.

CanRiv12
05-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Lots of good one's mentioned.

For me, Ken's, Bills (Waurika), Catfish Hole (out near Sallisaw), Charleston's, The Mont, Cocina de Mino (always been a big fan for some reason), Bianco's (Lawton), and quite a few more.

Odinist
06-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Meers, definitely. Also Johnnie's onion burgers in El Reno, and Sid's Diner in Yukon. Keller In The Castle was amazing, but I haven't been there since they changed names.

kevinpate
06-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Ozzie's, at the airpark in Norman. Popped back by to meet a friend the other day.
Every bit as good as I remembered it being. One of those places where there is no bad choice anywhere on the menu.

kevinpate
06-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Get up one morning (not Monday) and go to Krebs, just outside McAlester. Have lunch at Rosanne's, and hit Pete's for dinner. What you do in between? Simply sit back and smile as you reflect on how good your lunch was and how you will enjoy dinner every bit as much. Try not to think on how stuffed you'll be on the drive home. Better yet, grab a place to stay, sleep in, and hit Rosanne's again the next day.

jbrown84
06-10-2007, 02:36 PM
I prefer Isle of Capri over Pete's Place.

kevinpate
06-10-2007, 04:07 PM
I have no quarrel with Isle. if I were in the area two nights in a row, I'd probably make IC the 2nd eve rather than enjoying a rePete's :)

I've just been a bigger Pete's fan. been that way for decades, dating back to when in the movies Luke was known for a Cool Handed jail bird, not for being the hottest Jedi prospect in the galaxy. In those days, my sole access was when momma and pop took us as a family trip rather than having us hang with Kersey guarding the fort whilest they and Sherman and Linda went off for the evening.

On the bright side, if the youngins dinna go, usually there'd be a mighty fine cobbler in the house that night. As much as I have enjoyed every trip to Krebs in my life, a Maime Kersey cobbler could sure take off the sting of not being invited along.

billinvegas
06-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Old Germany - Choctaw

OLD GERMANY RESTAURANT (http://www.oldgermany.com/)

sweetmercyfan
06-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Easy, Cheever's on 23rd Street!!! Call for reservation on the weekend!!

Bedlam BBQ is great, just of Lincoln Blvd.

Hideaway Pizza is awesome on Western.

Deep Fork on Western is a good one.

and Sweet Mercy is the place for Frozen Custard on I-240!!!

betts
06-18-2007, 05:07 AM
The Metro is my favorite restaurant in OKC and has been for a long time. I would mention the Coach House, but my dinner the last time I was there was not up to their usual standards. They do have, arguably, the best dessert in town: chocolate fauvee.

AFCM
07-19-2007, 10:36 PM
I've only been back in OKC for a few months now, but I've really grown to enjoy Markie's Deli. I'm pretty sure that's locally owned.

Mike
07-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Las Palomas mexican restaurant on NW 23rd and meridian just south of 23 is a locally owned, long term eating establishment with Mickey, Rosa, Mickey Jr as a family working, running and taking care of the customers. just tell them Mike sent you.

Shooterms
08-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Meers and Cattleman's

brian
03-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Murphys Steak House hot hamburgers in Bartlesville are the best. Eischens chicken is a close second.

icemncmth
03-15-2008, 08:27 AM
The Haunted House..has been there for 43 years...

Markbb
03-15-2008, 09:54 AM
I've asked this question before in the other forum, so if we have all these great restruants why don't we have any Beard award winning restruant here?? If we're gonna have a professional Basketball team here we should have hi-quality food joints (not high priced)...and not those chain joints that seems to be all over Oklahoma...Yeck

Harvey Hudson
03-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Mahogany....the original in Tulsa

Red Prime Steaks

McGehees catfish in Marietta. The best in the west.

Old Germany

The Mont. The queso, the nuclear nachos, and the swirl.

Cheevers in the summer dodging bullets

IronStarr for the BBQ Club. I swear I am not sponsored by the Paul family

Eischens. For the Atmosphere

Jims Fried Chicken in Nicoma Park. For chicken better than eischens.

Rons Hamburgers

Coits Hot Dogs and Root beer......seriously it doesnt get better than that for lunch on a hot day

Sala Thai....Drunken noodles and clay pot rice.

Anns chicken fry for chicken fried steak

Kens in amber

Bobs in Ada! Best BBQ around....hands down.

Petes and the Isle of Capri in Krebs.....pick one they both are great

Thats all I can think of......

kmf563
03-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Definitely Pizza Shuttle. Anyplace that will stop at the convenient store to bring you smokes and beer with your order deserves an award. I love their subs too. I ate there so much during my stay in Norman they knew my order by heart. I could just call and get the usual.

The Metro is a great date place.

Sophabellas is one of my all time favorites.

The Chuck House. mmm.

Is Victoria's still on campus corner? That place was fantastic.

Alfredo's mexican in Yukon.

Tacoville for cheap authentic mexican food.

Tators in Mustang.

The Mont.

Red Prime.

okc_cutie
03-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Charleston's is one of my favorites as well...but my all time favorite mexican food restaurant is Ted's Cafe Escondido...also a Oklahoma original!!

sooners83
03-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Del Rancho, don't know where they went, but the best chicken fried steak sand. around.

soonerfan21
03-24-2008, 07:27 AM
I think Del Rancho still has a location on NW 10th street between Portland and Meridian. the best CFC!

blueice101
03-24-2008, 08:26 AM
It's Chuck House that's on 10th, not Del Rancho.

Markbb
03-24-2008, 08:26 AM
There's a Del Rancho on Midwest blvd in Midwest City...

kmf563
03-24-2008, 08:38 AM
There is one on SW 29th near Agnew also. I love their fried okra and CF steak sand. mmm.

OKCMallen
04-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Ted's Escondido, FTW!

etool782
09-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Jims Fried Chicken in Nicoma Park. For chicken better than eischens.

I second that! The only complaint I can register about Jim's Fried Chicken is that when Jim goes on vacation, Jim's does too.

That being said, if that's the worst you can say about an eatery then you're at a fine place. I grew up eating it and often visit when visiting family in the east OKC metro.

Furthermore, its nice to go to a place where the name of the restaurant actually reflects the name of the person that actually owns it!

eightyninergirl
09-28-2008, 04:08 PM
here are a few of my favs:

burgers:
irmas and grill on the hill

sandwiches:
ND's and Brown Bag also The Lunch Box (they have blue plate specials as well)

german:
Old German in Choctaw and Ingrids

italian:

Centro

american:

ann's chicken fry, boulevard cafeteria

mexican:

breakfast:

Joeys, Cattlemans, Rays Runway Cafe at Wiley Post Airport

Pizza:

Wedge

JuJuBeans
04-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Ranch Steak House and Red Prime.

SoonerQueen
04-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Someplace Else is a local deli located a little south of 23rd and N Western.

OKC4me
04-26-2009, 11:47 PM
I ate at Irma's at 10th and Classen (?), and they were all manly women in there. They were also watching Softball, so that was kind of a give away.

They burgers there were pretty good too.

kevinpate
04-27-2009, 05:39 AM
Alex: OK, Southside eateries for 400. This eatery is located within 6 miles of SE 89th and I-35 and is a non-chain establishment. It is considered by many to have excellent late lunch potential for those who prefer to eat late lunch or early dinner between 2 pm and 5 pm.

JoeyNoClue: What is Arby's

Alex: No, that is a chain eatery. Put your hands in your pocket and just stand there looking silly for our cameras. Any one else?

Vines_&_Cattle
05-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Eischen's leave Okarche? Some folk just don't get it.

EBAH
06-04-2009, 03:30 PM
I second a lot of these, Cattleman's, Eischens, Etc... but, I can't believe no one has said Braum's (unless I missed it). Now, granted, it is a fast food / grocery establishment, and has no wait staff (maybe what makes a restaurant a restaurant). But, it is truly one of the greatest things about this state. For a fast food restaurant the Braum's chain has a real unique business model and high attention to quality in all of their ingredients. Just reading their Wikipedia article makes me swell with Oklahoma pride. When I've been away from the state for a few weeks, it's my first stop on my way home. Oh and that feeling when driving home from a very long drive when you see the first Braums and realize you are within 300 miles of central Oklahoma, just can't be beat..

EBAH
06-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Many apologies, I didn't read the request to leave out Braum's in post 1. (for the record it is still my favorite)