View Full Version : Midwest Airlines to OKC?

chrisok
02-12-2007, 03:36 PM
I spoke with a friend of mine today and he mentioned that Midwest Airlines is looking to add OKC to its route structure. He didn't know for sure if the initial flights would be to Milwaukee, Kansas City, or both. He leaned towards Milwaukee, which I think would make sense since Southwest already flies to Kansas City. If it happens, look for it sometime in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. Midwest is currently fending off a hostile takeover from Air Tran, so you never know how that will go....

jbrown84
02-12-2007, 03:55 PM
This would be nice, since my aunt lives in Milwaukee.

venture
02-12-2007, 04:54 PM
The plan I think is 8 new cities this year with them bringing the CRJs into the mix now. Midwest would be a great addition with their more upscale service, fresh baked cookies, and just all around better service. It would blow anything else in OKC away.

bombermwc
02-13-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm all for more direct flights to places. I just wish we could support some larger aircraft. Those CRJ's are just so crammped.

Or at least get some that the seat padding isn't completely squished down to a hard seat fram like on United...ARGHHGH!!!

mranderson
02-13-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm all for more direct flights to places. I just wish we could support some larger aircraft. Those CRJ's are just so crammped.

Or at least get some that the seat padding isn't completely squished down to a hard seat fram like on United...ARGHHGH!!!

We have direct flights to a lot of places. What we need is more non stop flights. There is a difference betwen them (direct and non stop). Also. We CAN support larger aircraft. Plus Oklahoma City had nothing but DC9, 727, 737 and DC10 for years.

Karried
02-13-2007, 11:47 AM
I flew in yesterday from New Orleans ( a total trip that should have been about 3.5 hours) .... we flew on a puddle jumper.. a joke of a plane.

We arrived in OKC and had to fly around for about 30 min and then the pilot tells us the weather was too bad, fog too heavy and we were running out of fuel ( things you don't want to hear on a plane from a pilot - ever!)

Anyway, he tells us he is going to Dallas to refuel.. okay, an extra hour flight won't kill us, better to be safe than sorry right?

We get to Dallas and are sitting on the tarmac waiting to refuel.. announcement from the pilot of Northwest Airlines
(aka Neveragain Airlines) ... OKC is not going to clear up so we have rented you a bus to get from Dallas to OKC Airport. A bus.

So, five hours later we finally arrive to OKC... we all determined, while we were waiting for our 'bus' watching all the other airlines still being able to fly into OKC with no problem, that Northwest figured out it would just be easier to bus us and much cheaper instead of flying us back to OKC. They tell us, it's all weather related so no vouchers, no meals, no hotels, nothing.. and maybe you can rebook for tomorrow or the next day.. so we hopped on a crappy bus.

I can't wait for direct flights.. if it had been a larger plane, we could have waited for the storm to lift and not worried about running out of fuel.. I'm just wondering why they even left Memphis in the first place instead of delaying and waiting for it to clear.. all kinds of other flights landed in the meantime while we were on the bus.

Plus, they were really snotty to the other passengers who 'dared' question anything.. really rude - horrible customer service. I travel frequently so I know how it goes, it's out of their control too and you just have to roll with it, but still - a little kindness goes a long way ... 15 hours of travelling was a little much when it should have been a 2- 3 hour flight non-stop if we had direct service. Oh well, we're home but I'm a little peeved at Northwest ..

mranderson
02-13-2007, 01:04 PM
"I can't wait for direct flights.."

Funny how some people do not read other posts. We HAVE direct flights now. Again people, THERE IS A DIFFERECE BETWEEN NON STOP AND DIRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jbrown84
02-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Who cares? You know exactly what they meant. "Direct" to me seems like Point A to Point B with no stops in between. I don't know why it would mean anything else.

Easy180
02-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Know this hasn't been discussed much on here, but I wish OKC would get more direct flights :Smiley051

Anyways I usually drive down to Dallas to catch a non stop if at all possible...Can't stand connecting flights or flying in puddle jumpers karried...Those tiny things make this dude whimper like a little puppy

SpectralMourning
02-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Know this hasn't been discussed much on here, but I wish OKC would get more direct flights :Smiley051

Hahaha
:bright_id Why hasn't anyone thought of that before?!

mranderson
02-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Who cares? You know exactly what they meant. "Direct" to me seems like Point A to Point B with no stops in between. I don't know why it would mean anything else.

You have defined non stop. Direct means, for example (and not I said FOR EXAMPLE) Oklahoma City to Seattle with a stop and no change of plane in Denver.

jbrown84
02-13-2007, 02:22 PM
I know what it means. I was just explaining why it's easily interchangeable.

scotplum
02-13-2007, 02:37 PM

Perhaps we could permanently get some professional sports teams in OKC too? :tiphat:

SpectralMourning
02-13-2007, 02:46 PM
We need a place to toss these ideas around. Perhaps a forum is in order...

jbrown84
02-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Perhaps we could permanently get some professional sports teams in OKC too? :tiphat:

Totally! We will lose our only professional team when the Hornets go back to NO. :D

Karried
02-13-2007, 03:27 PM
"I can't wait for direct flights.."

Funny how some people do not read other posts. We HAVE direct flights now. Again people, THERE IS A DIFFERECE BETWEEN NON STOP AND DIRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yeahthat: Well, believe it or not, being a moderator and all .. I do read the posts. Most posts.. sometimes I skim when I don't think it's all that relevant like the difference between direct and non-stop.

You know what I meant..

How I yearn for the days when I can take a direct flights from OKC reading posts on an OKC city forum on my laptop, while on my way to see a professional team play (since we have none here) ! :cheersmf:

I'm such a naysayer! :dance: tee hee....

jbrown84
02-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Karrie, you are taking "naysayer" out of context. If you had grown up with a Webster's Dictionary Writer, you would know that.

Karried
02-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Karrie, you are taking "naysayer" out of context

You forgot the all caps and extra exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. Okay better play nice!

venture
02-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Karried,

Just a couple things...what you went through all comes down to a couple things and is not restricted to regional jets or other small aircraft. If the aircraft is not equiped with certain ILS equipment and the crew is not trained (or comfortable) in such conditions...you are going to land somewhere else.

A few years ago Chicago got screwed up with fog. The airports were accepting only about 20 flights an hour and filled airports 200-300 miles away up with diverted aircraft. Airports like Detroit, Fort Wayne, Lansing, etc all had aircraft they normally never see. Toledo, just south of Detroit, even had a 757 of ATA diverted there that was coming in from Washington to Midway - from a picture i saw.

I don't understand why people immediately call these small jets puddle jumpers...here I thought that belonged to those small 19 seat turboprop aircraft. These jets are used on flights up to 4 hours...so not really puddle jumpers. :)

Anyways...back to your situation. Not sure exactly why Pinnacle would choose to divert to Dallas. More than like that is where they could position the plane back into rotation. Personally I would think Tulsa or Lawton would be a better alternate...of course Lawton would be least likely as only American Eagle operates there and that would increase the cost of diverting to a station that you don't have any operations.

HOT ROD
02-14-2007, 12:02 AM
I flew in yesterday from New Orleans ( a total trip that should have been about 3.5 hours) .... we flew on a puddle jumper.. a joke of a plane.

We arrived in OKC and had to fly around for about 30 min and then the pilot tells us the weather was too bad, fog too heavy and we were running out of fuel ( things you don't want to hear on a plane from a pilot - ever!)

Anyway, he tells us he is going to Dallas to refuel.. okay, an extra hour flight won't kill us, better to be safe than sorry right?

We get to Dallas and are sitting on the tarmac waiting to refuel.. announcement from the pilot of Northwest Airlines
(aka Neveragain Airlines) ... OKC is not going to clear up so we have rented you a bus to get from Dallas to OKC Airport. A bus.

So, five hours later we finally arrive to OKC... we all determined, while we were waiting for our 'bus' watching all the other airlines still being able to fly into OKC with no problem, that Northwest figured out it would just be easier to bus us and much cheaper instead of flying us back to OKC. They tell us, it's all weather related so no vouchers, no meals, no hotels, nothing.. and maybe you can rebook for tomorrow or the next day.. so we hopped on a crappy bus.

I can't wait for direct flights.. if it had been a larger plane, we could have waited for the storm to lift and not worried about running out of fuel.. I'm just wondering why they even left Memphis in the first place instead of delaying and waiting for it to clear.. all kinds of other flights landed in the meantime while we were on the bus.

Plus, they were really snotty to the other passengers who 'dared' question anything.. really rude - horrible customer service. I travel frequently so I know how it goes, it's out of their control too and you just have to roll with it, but still - a little kindness goes a long way ... 15 hours of travelling was a little much when it should have been a 2- 3 hour flight non-stop if we had direct service. Oh well, we're home but I'm a little peeved at Northwest ..

Karried, while I am sorry to hear about your travels and also upset with Northworst's lackluster service; I have to say I was laughing heavily at your story. :gossip:

Quite amuzing from my end yet as your friend and fellow forumer - I know at the time laughter was the last thing on your mind.

At minimum, you should have been compensated for your troubles with a voucher. No where on your ticket did it say you would arrive from MEM to OKC-Will Rogers World Airport via bus.

Maybe someone in city hall/chamber/airport distrust needs to hear your story of the "fine" air service Northwest is providing Oklahoma City. Along with Northwest's corporate offices. lol

venture
02-14-2007, 03:37 PM
The situation sucks, but the biggest out in any Contract of Carriage is weather. Acts of God and such is a free pass card for the airline to do what *it* feels is right. Busing happens all the time. I've seen numerous stories of it taking place out to Chicago and Atlanta to cities a couple hundred miles away.

Karried
02-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Karried, while I am sorry to hear about your travels and also upset with Northworst's lackluster service; I have to say I was laughing heavily at your story.

:laughing_ tee, hee... Hot Rod....

Well, I'm glad someone was laughing! I figure I could react two ways..

1) Get all pissy and end a fabulous New Orlean's trip with a bad attitude

2) Eat a burger and get on the bus and fall asleep... and laugh about it all

I chose the latter.. life's too short!

:dance:

Easy180
02-14-2007, 05:39 PM
karried...Where did you stay and eat while in Nawlins?...I'm headed there again in a couple of weeks

Karried
02-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Easy180, PM me and I'll give you myspace addy & where I have all my pics.. and details..

We stayed in the French Quarter ( felt pretty safe), lived on Bourbon Street at night ha,ha.. got 4 pounds of beads, no- I didn't flash!, we followed a band (friends around - larapriceband.. the best blues band ever! the guitar player would blow your mind.. she's only 24 and is awesome and the lead singer - omg.. ) sorry..off topic!

PM me... we had a blast!

OUman
02-14-2007, 10:19 PM
If the airlines compensated every passenger for weather delays, there would be only two-three airlines in service in the U.S. right now, and none would be a major (except for WN). Each business gets some leeway, in the airlines' case, it's weather. And it's inconvenient, I've had my fair share of weather delays while flying, but you have to be patient. Busing happens all the time, a third of the pax delayed by the Denver snowstorms last month were bussed out. Although yesterday, there was really nothing going on here weather-wise so I'm not sure why they mentioned weather as the cause.

I'd be really surprised if flights were n/'s between OKC and MKE, I'd expect something along the lines of direct service between OKC and MKE, with a stop at MCI. Also, remember that WN pulled out two flights between OKC and MCI, and that MCI is a connecting hub for Midwest and Midwest Connect, although MKE's is where its largest operation is. Pax traffic between OKC and MKE isn't that great to support daily nonstop service.

Karried
02-15-2007, 08:35 AM
I was just watching the news and as much as I didn't want a bus ride I'm thankful this didn't happen...

People were stuck on a plane on the tarmac, no food, no water, bathrooms in horrible condition for over 9 hours with babies! omg.

They wouldn't let them off.

There is a site http://strandedpassengers.blogspot.com (http://strandedpassengers.blogspot.com)

"It's been six weeks since Kate Hanni, her family and several thousand other fliers were stranded on the ground on American Airlines planes for up to eight hours - forced to endure foul restrooms and stale air and given little food and water. Six weeks, and they're still angry.
Now, Hanni is pushing Congress to pass an airline passengers' bill of rights - an effort others have unsuccessfully tried. The bill would include limiting to three hours the time an aircraft can sit on the tarmac, and notifying passengers within 10 minutes of flight delays, diversions and cancellations.
The Napa, Calif., woman has gone to Washington once and plans to return next week to meet with lawmakers, including Rep. Mike Thompson from her district, to rally support. Several other members of Congress have promised to back the effort, Hanni said.
"I think it's in the airlines' best interests, as well as the passengers,'" said Thompson, a Democrat, who plans to introduce legislation in the House. "If a law was already on the books, we wouldn't have this situation today."
Airlines successfully beat down a similar bill after a Detroit snowstorm in 1999 left thousands stranded on Northwest Airlines jets. Congress dropped legislation after the industry agreed to a voluntary 12-point "customer service" plan.
But supporters of a bill of rights claim carriers have failed to follow their own guidelines. And the events of Dec. 29, they say, prove it.
It was not just a nightmare for passengers bound for Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, but also for American, the nation's largest carrier. With a series of thunderstorms sweeping across Dallas, the airline was forced to send its planes to other airports - including Austin, Texas; San Antonio; Little Rock, Ark.; and Tulsa, Okla. - to wait out the weather."

More here: After nasty flights, passengers want a bill of rights (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/16704600.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp)

What do you think about a Passenger's Bill of Rights?

mranderson
02-15-2007, 08:43 AM
I have been on a plane that was held. A United flight from San Francisco to Denver. All they needed to tell me was why. When I got to Denver, I found out a tornado had hit near Ardmore and had been through Denver thus delaying the flight. I was not happy.

It sounded like the crew just simpally did not know why the plane was delayed. If that is the case, just simpally say "I don't know." It may not ease tension much, however, it is at least an honest answer.

The bill of rights may end telling people what others THINK they want to hear.

jbrown84
02-15-2007, 02:05 PM
The same tornado hit Denver and Ardmore??? Am I reading that right?

mranderson
02-15-2007, 02:13 PM
The same tornado hit Denver and Ardmore??? Am I reading that right?

It did not "hit" Denver. It just went through it.

jbrown84
02-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Oh dear lord, what the heck is the difference, oh great wordsmith?

OUman
02-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Ardmore? Are you saying a tornado that hit Ardmore OK had something to do with your SFO-DEN flight being delayed? Or is there an Ardmore, CO I'm not aware of?

chrisok
02-15-2007, 09:01 PM
That was one quick moving storm system.

jbrown84
02-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Thank you for echoing my confusion.

venture
02-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Hmm...I haven't seen the records of many long track multi-state tornadoes that have 1) moved southeast, 2) come off the high elevation of Denver to that of Ardmore, 3)...umm I think we all know where this is going. LOL

I could see the same storm system causing issues in Denver as it does in Oklahoma...or even severe events at both locations on the same day. Heck you could get a Derecho coming out of eastern Colorado and come due south into Oklahoma...though they normally start in KS or NE.

Either way...I think we've all had fun with delays at one point. My most interesting had to be about 7 years ago trying to navigate the ice storm in the midwest/lakes region going up and then in Oklahoma coming back. All I can say...thank god for friends inside the airlines. Besides the local airline people, when I can make one phone call and I have friends at 5 different carriers doing what they can to accomodate me is a life saver. It also got me the last seat on a flight from Dallas to Detroit...which sure as hell beat sleeping in Chicago.

OUman
02-16-2007, 07:40 PM
^Lucky you lol, I've flown since I was eight and still have no contacts. Hmm, gives me some ideas now that I think about it...

Karried
02-16-2007, 08:22 PM
I remember about 5 years ago flying from OKC to CA and somehow being rerouted to Chicago - all because the weather was bad. The airlines offered us a dinner voucher and a hotel voucher with transportation to and from the airport to catch a flight in the morning..

I miss the good ol days. Now I'm lucky to catch a four hour bus ride home. I think I'll start driving.

venture
02-17-2007, 09:15 AM
^Lucky you lol, I've flown since I was eight and still have no contacts. Hmm, gives me some ideas now that I think about it...

Hmm...I won't mention the buddy passes and flight benefits I get through some then, wouldn't want to make you jealous. :)

Though it is fun to fly to Miami for the day and come home when you are bored. lol