View Full Version : Valentines Day!

oudirtypop
02-11-2007, 12:39 AM
:tiphat: Okay, it's coming up this week, so we might as well unleash it! Any thoughts on Valentines?

Guys, what are you going to get your wives/gf's?
Girls, what are you going to get your husbands/bf's?

Where does everyone recommend for dining out on valentines night?

What gifts do the ladies like? (if someone says roses, I swear.....) :fighting3

What gifts do the women get the husbands?

Rage 2.0
02-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Lets see--

I will enjoy my can of diet 7-Up while completing my homework and eating microwave macaroni and cheese... (Maybe Taco Bueno for the special occasion)...

For all who have dates and so on--

I would choose Mahogany Steakhouse or a restaurant in DT... Eat and talk a walk for a little bit... Always like to walk around instead of drive to the restaurant and drive somewhere else...

oudirtypop
02-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Lets see--

I would choose Mahogany Steakhouse or a restaurant in DT... Eat and talk a walk for a little bit... Always like to walk around instead of drive to the restaurant and drive somewhere else...

I have never eaten at Mahogany, but i hear great reviews. Romantic setting?

Easy180
02-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Not very romantic, but we are headed to Shogun's....Kind of a v-day tradition for us

No gifts this year as we have a vacation to pay for

Lauri101
02-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Since the S.O. and I lean towards practical rather than romantic - I got him 1 GB memory upgrade for his computer. He was thrilled!

We'll eat in for the day - he's planning on cooking me for me, as usual. We don't go out much in cold weather - we'll save our dining out for vacation in Santa Fe/Las Vegas in May.

Rage 2.0
02-11-2007, 08:53 AM
I have never eaten at Mahogany, but i hear great reviews. Romantic setting?

Yes it is... Plus the tab is going to be on the high end but the food is great...

The memory upgrade is a great idea...

MadMonk
02-11-2007, 01:53 PM
We're planning to do our valentine's dinner/date night the following weekend. Haven't decided where yet. We'll exchange cards then. We don't usually exchange gifts, but I always try to get some sort of flower arrangement. I like the idea of the memory upgrade! :)

BG918
02-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Mahogany is great, bad location though. I would recommend Nikz, Deep Fork Grill, Mickey Mantle's, Museum Cafe, Nonna's or the Metro. We will be at the Coach House.

Lauri101
02-11-2007, 06:06 PM
What gifts do the ladies like? (if someone says roses, I swear.....) :fighting3

Personally, I'd like software - although hardware is good also!

mranderson
02-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Personally, I'd like software - although hardware is good also!

Would you care to elaborate?

bandnerd
02-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Wow, do you really need her to?

We don't celebrate V-day, never have, and probably never will. We feel that love is something that should be expressed all the time, and not just saved until some Hallmark-appointed day.

Yes, it's cynical, but it's our way.

fsusurfer
02-11-2007, 07:58 PM
trying out the melting pot! They have a set menu, but it sounds great!

Lauri101
02-12-2007, 02:37 AM

Exactly! :doh:

We don't celebrate V-day, never have, and probably never will. We feel that love is something that should be expressed all the time, and not just saved until some Hallmark-appointed day.

Not cynical at all - it's a lovely sentiment!

Easy180
02-12-2007, 07:31 AM

That works well as long as the wife or girlfriend really believes that and isn't just testing you....We don't go overboard by any means, but I'm a dead man if I just let the day slip by w/o something put in her hand

Deni
02-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I am heading to Queen of Sheba resturant...

But as far as gifts go... NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!

bandnerd
02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
I believe I was actually the first one to say that I thought Valentine's was a bunch of bunk. I've never liked the holiday.

And no, it's not because I didn't get any valentines as a kid. All the pink hearts and fake displays of "affection" make me nauseous.

Turanacus
02-12-2007, 09:16 PM
I bought tickets to the cirque de soleil show in march. it was $250 but i did it anyway.

Keith
02-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Actually, I believe it is a time to show your affection towards the one you love. It's a special day for many people. My sister-in-law got married on Valentine's Day, so it is a special day for her and her husband.

Since Valentine's Day is on a Wednesday this year, and both of our schedules are very hectic, we celebrated by having lunch at Applebees after church yesterday. We had an outstanding meal, and a good time of conversation....without our two teenagers. That was our celebration. I don't do birthday cards, valentine's cards, graduation cards, or any other cards. The only cards I send are Mothers and Fathers day cards, and Thank You cards. No Valentine's Day cards.

To me, cards are a waste of time, when I would rather express my love to my wife face to face.

Valentine's is actually a holiday for ladies. I know that the ladies I work with sit on pins and needles waiting to see who will receive what, so that they can gloat. That's all it is....bragging rights for the lady. Plus, it's to see just how creative the guy is at buying the right gift. That's too much stress on me.LOL

It may be just another day for some, but it is a very special day to those who feel affection is real, not fake. Plus, I really do like to see the pretty displays in the stores, even if I don't plan on purchasing anything.

fsusurfer
02-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Actually, I believe it is a time to show your affection towards the one you love. It's a special day for many people. My sister-in-law got married on Valentine's Day, so it is a special day for her and her husband.

Since Valentine's Day is on a Wednesday this year, and both of our schedules are very hectic, we celebrated by having lunch at Applebees after church yesterday. We had an outstanding meal, and a good time of conversation....without our two teenagers. That was our celebration. I don't do birthday cards, valentine's cards, graduation cards, or any other cards. The only cards I send are Mothers and Fathers day cards, and Thank You cards. No Valentine's Day cards.

To me, cards are a waste of time, when I would rather express my love to my wife face to face.

Valentine's is actually a holiday for ladies. I know that the ladies I work with sit on pins and needles waiting to see who will receive what, so that they can gloat. That's all it is....bragging rights for the lady. Plus, it's to see just how creative the guy is at buying the right gift. That's too much stress on me.LOL

It may be just another day for some, but it is a very special day to those who feel affection is real, not fake. Plus, I really do like to see the pretty displays in the stores, even if I don't plan on purchasing anything.

Keith, It sounds like you are implying that if someone does not celebrate Valentines day, they must not feel affection is real. I dont think any certain day goes hand-in-hand with feeling affection or love (as you showed by celebrating on Sunday). While I usually like to do something nice on Valentines day because the girl im dating likes it, I see it for what it is. A blatantly commercialized holiday. And I use the term "holiday" losley, as it is based much on legends and heresay, and the fact that the "holiday" was introduced in America by Esther Howland as a money making opperation. Its great to celebrate it if thats your thing, but if not, that dosent mean someone has any less affection for their girlfriend or spouse. I dont think you really meant it like that, but Im just sayin it sounded like that a little...:tiphat:

Keith
02-13-2007, 05:16 AM
Keith, It sounds like you are implying that if someone does not celebrate Valentines day, they must not feel affection is real.
No, I certainly didn't mean for it to come over that way. My wife and I go out to eat, but we don't actually "celebrate" Valentine's Day.

bandnerd
02-13-2007, 05:39 AM
"It may be just another day for some, but it is a very special day to those who feel affection is real, not fake."

I most certainly feel affection is real, I just don't like someone else telling me when I should show it to my spouse. We give little gifts year-round, or do things for each other, that are most certainly real acts of "affection."

I respect those that want to celebrate the holiday, but I sure get tired of people staring at me, mouth agape, asking me, "WHY don't you celebrate Valentine's Day? What is wrong with you?" And I'm not talking here at okctalk, I'm talking real life. There is most certainly nothing wrong with me...well...I'm sure there is...but that isn't the reason I don't care for the day.

CMSturgeon
02-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Just making sure no one goes to the Outback Steakhouse on I-240 tonight for dinner.. I don't want to have to wait for a table. lol.

Easy180
02-14-2007, 09:03 AM
oh my lord CM...I would stay in and heat up some Stouffer's lasagna before I would go to Outback tonight....That place is gonna be way scary

I would expect at least a 2 hour wait at that place

CMSturgeon
02-14-2007, 11:39 AM
oh my lord CM...I would stay in and heat up some Stouffer's lasagna before I would go to Outback tonight....That place is gonna be way scary

I would expect at least a 2 hour wait at that place

But its SOOOO good! I think we're going to order some take out from there instead. I'm sure that will still take forever to get though. Oh well, I have class tonight and a test to worry myself with anyway. I'm already craving the cyclone pasta and a caesar salad from thinking about it. It's like........ Pavlov's dogs. Same effect when I hear anything that has to do with Outback.

mranderson
02-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Tonight it is hot steaks on the grill followed by a hot woman in...

Lauri101
02-14-2007, 02:29 PM

To quote someone else:

:)

Karried
02-14-2007, 03:28 PM

........jail having a hot flash?

CMSturgeon
02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
I guess none of you listened, I had to wait at least 45 minutes to eat at Outback. lol. It was worth the food though. I think I am in love with Outback Steakhouse.

mranderson
02-15-2007, 03:42 PM
To quote someone else:

:)

Actually I had a good reason to end the way I did. However, I think we can have fun with this and make it a guessing game.