View Full Version : It's nearly official!

AFCM
02-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Ever since I joined the armed forces five years ago, I've missed the place I once called home. I was constantly having friends and family send photos and newspaper articles of Oklahoma City and Mustang. To say the least, I had a severe case of homesickness.

In fact, my quest for new pictures and information on Oklahoma City is what led me here to begin with. After finishing up my time in active duty a year ago, I enlisted in the Idaho ANG so that I could be with my wife, who is also an active duty AF member stationed in Idaho. Throughout our relationship, she has been very supportive and willing to make sacrifices for my happiness. Well, ever since I got out of active duty, I've been dreaming of playing ball again, particularly in Oklahoma. We talked it over and came to a decision. For the next couple of years, I will live in Oklahoma and play college baseball. We'll still be married, and I'm going to fly up once a month to be with my wife, but I'll attend school and play ball in Oklahoma. After our decision, the only thing that stood in my way was my contractual obligations with the Idaho Air National Guard. You see, I had a nice enlistment bonus and had only been in the guard for about a year. As it turned out, the bonus was federal and, thus, transferrable to another state.

As of tomorrow, the General is going to sit down with me and make a decision on whether or not to let me go. Since I'm only leaving Idaho and not the military, chances are he'll concur with the transfer to Oklahoma. So, tomorrow could be my last day in the Idaho ANG. If all goes as planned, I'll be in enlisting in the Oklahoma ANG Monday morning. Wish me luck.

Keith
02-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Ever since I joined the armed forces five years ago, I've missed the place I once called home. I was constantly having friends and family send photos and newspaper articles of Oklahoma City and Mustang. To say the least, I had a severe case of homesickness.

In fact, my quest for new pictures and information on Oklahoma City is what led me here to begin with. After finishing up my time in active duty a year ago, I enlisted in the Idaho ANG so that I could be with my wife, who is also an active duty AF member stationed in Idaho. Throughout our relationship, she has been very supportive and willing to make sacrifices for my happiness. Well, ever since I got out of active duty, I've been dreaming of playing ball again, particularly in Oklahoma. We talked it over and came to a decision. For the next couple of years, I will live in Oklahoma and play college baseball. We'll still be married, and I'm going to fly up once a month to be with my wife, but I'll attend school and play ball in Oklahoma. After our decision, the only thing that stood in my way was my contractual obligations with the Idaho Air National Guard. You see, I had a nice enlistment bonus and had only been in the guard for about a year. As it turned out, the bonus was federal and, thus, transferrable to another state.

As of tomorrow, the General is going to sit down with me and make a decision on whether or not to let me go. Since I'm only leaving Idaho and not the military, chances are he'll concur with the transfer to Oklahoma. So, tomorrow could be my last day in the Idaho ANG. If all goes as planned, I'll be in enlisting in the Oklahoma ANG Monday morning. Wish me luck.
Man, that's great. Good luck to you, and hopefully you will be back in Oklahoma City again. We will keep our fingers crossed.

AFCM
02-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Well, it is official. I'm back in OKC and I enlisted in the Oklahoma Air National Guard Monday morning. I'm glad to be back. That's for the wish of good luck, Keith.

Karried
02-14-2007, 04:57 PM
That's great news!! (I was out of town all week and never saw your original post! Darn! )

Welcome back home buddy !!!!:congrats:

:welcome5:

Lauri101
02-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Welcome home!

I remember when I got out of the Air Force, how good it felt!

AFCM
02-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Welcome home!

I remember when I got out of the Air Force, how good it felt!

I guess it depends on what your AFSC is. Leaving the AF is a little scary at first, but TAPS gave me a lot of confidence about joining the civilian sector. What did you do while in the AF? I was Security Forces and I wanted to play ball, so getting out was a must for me. If you have a good AFSC the AF sure is tough to leave.

By the way, AFCM is an acronym for "AimForCenterMass". I'll never forget seeing those shirts that read, "In the Air Force...Aim High. In Security Forces...Aim Center Mass". That always stuck with me, which is how I adopted my username.

xusnsailor
02-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Well, it is official. I'm back in OKC and I enlisted in the Oklahoma Air National Guard Monday morning. I'm glad to be back. That's for the wish of good luck, Keith.

Welcome back AFCM :welcome5:

AFCM
02-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks. I'm glad to be back.

Lauri101
02-16-2007, 03:44 AM
What did you do while in the AF? I was Security Forces and I wanted to play ball, so getting out was a must for me. If you have a good AFSC the AF sure is tough to leave.

I was in telecommunications, inside plant, and the technology I had learned was becoming obsolete during my TOD (1976-1980). I got out, had babies, got divorced, went back to college on the old GI Bill and became an accountant with the Federal gov't. I enjoyed my Air Force time, but no regrets at all about leaving.
And in only 3 more years, I can retire comfortably!