View Full Version : Don't speed on I-240 today!

CMSturgeon
02-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Saw a helicopter flying around in circles above the interstate at about 9:25 am...... Was like, hmm, is he pacing people? (I've just heard of that, not actually seen it done). Then I saw 2 people pulled over on the side of the road, probably getting tickets. So my guess is yes, they were pacing people. Glad I wasn't speeding like usual!

mranderson
02-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Saw a helicopter flying around in circles above the interstate at about 9:25 am...... Was like, hmm, is he pacing people? (I've just heard of that, not actually seen it done). Then I saw 2 people pulled over on the side of the road, probably getting tickets. So my guess is yes, they were pacing people. Glad I wasn't speeding like usual!

Coincidence. The Oklahoma City Police helicopter, Air One, does not "pace" people. They help find suspects in high crime areas. It costs a lot of money to fly, so, they do not go up unless they are called by patrol.

Plus, you did not say if it was Oklahoma City police or highway patrol officers who had the cars detained.

CMSturgeon
02-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Highway patrol. It was just east of May, I was leaving Occc.

mranderson
02-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Highway patrol. It was just east of May, I was leaving Occc.

Then it definatly was coincidental. Air One belongs to OCPD. The Highway Patrol has no helicopters. They DID use airplanes at one time, however, I have not heard of them doing that for a long time.

CMSturgeon
02-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Oh, ok then. Yeah, I have heard of them using planes as well. And I didn't see any marks on the highway for them to use for pacing, like squares... or whatever it is they normally use. The only place I have ever seen those marks was near Denton, Texas, but they never did it when I was down there.

I was pretty surprised when I did think they were pacing people since I haven't heard of it being done here. And, it's also rare that you see 1 person being pulled over on I-240, let alone 2 in a row (although my husband would disagree, he's been ticketed 2x on it, lol).

Now I'm just wondering why they were flying the way they were. I mean, it wasn't big circles. It was tiny little circles directly above the interstate. I don't know if he was watching who they had pulled over or what. Oh well, I'm sure I'll lose interest by the end of the day. Anyway, thanks!

Keith
02-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I love it! It's about time we saw OHP and OKC Police presence on the streets writing tickets.

Actually, i have been all over the city this week and noticed the OKC Police motorcycles and a few unmarked cars writing tickets along I-35, from SE.44th to the I-40 interchange. I just love to see the faces of people when they get caught:whiteflag .

I live off a busy street, and this afternoon, there was an officer patrolling a stretch of the street. Needless to say, he never got bored.

CMSturgeon
02-10-2007, 10:33 AM
I think the coolest way to pull someone over is when you're on a bike. In Yukon in my aunt's old neighborhood a bicycle cop would stand on the corner by a bush and clock and ticket people left and right. It's nice to know that people don't have to stop, you know they could get away, but they do anyway.

Rage 2.0
02-10-2007, 11:17 PM
That sucks... I always see them on the bridges over the highway and then the radio up ahead to an officer waiting but this by far is loco...

If only the slow drivers would use there lanes then we won't have to worry about getting around them...

oSutrooper
02-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Then it definatly was coincidental. Air One belongs to OCPD. The Highway Patrol has no helicopters. They DID use airplanes at one time, however, I have not heard of them doing that for a long time.

Ohp does have a helio but that dont use it for speed enforcement

Ginkasa
02-12-2007, 10:37 PM
That sucks... I always see them on the bridges over the highway and then the radio up ahead to an officer waiting but this by far is loco...

If only the slow drivers would use there lanes then we won't have to worry about getting around them...

I know. It disgust me that the police actual enfore the laws and already law-abiding citizens get in my way, too!

AFCM
02-14-2007, 04:16 PM
You know, I remember a thread discussing driving habits and etiquette and man, it was entertaining. It was up about a year ago. I suppose I could find it if I tried.