View Full Version : Plans announced for last pad in Lower Bricktown!

Pages : [1] 2

metro
02-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Once again Hogan disappoints. 2 stories is not enough for this pad site. He could have easily made it more stories and filled it up. :(

Lower Bricktown marketing efforts underway for planned Building 7
By Heidi Rambo Centrella - 2/7/2007

Construction is on pace and further development is on its way in Lower Bricktown as developer Randy Hogan, principal partner of Stonegate-Hogan, has plans in place to develop the last remaining pad available north of Interstate-40.

Situated between Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill and Harkins Theatres, what’s currently dubbed Building 7 will provide approximately 11,000 square feet for retail on the first floor and another 11,000 square feet for office and entertainment space on the second floor.

This, Hogan says, is a combined effort with that of The Centennial mixed-use project, which -- on the retail side -- will provide for a little more than 12,000 square feet.

“A lot of this is about the synergy of the tenant mix, so that space becomes very important as we build a critical mass of entertainment, dining and retail,” Hogan said, adding that developing Building 7 would be predicated to pre-leasing at least 50-percent.

Efforts to recruit retail began just last week, he said, and so far “it looks very encouraging.”

“But we are going to be patient, because we want to get the right mix (of tenants) before we start on this,” Hogan said. “A few groups already are looking at it - a mix of local and regional groups.”

Two businesses scheduled to move in to The Centennial's retail space include Starbucks and King Pin Lanes bowling center. And the residential occupancy has just reached 65 percent.

“Our goal is to bump 70 percent by the end of the month,” Hogan said of the one- and two-bedroom units ranging in price from $300,000 to $600,000 at a blended average of $288 per square foot and includes two underground parking spaces.

Editor's note: An in-depth report on the progress of Lower Bricktown will be included in the Feb. 19 print edition of OKCBusiness.

http://www.okcbusiness.com/images/photos/B7B-north.jpg

fsusurfer
02-07-2007, 02:23 PM
300 grand for a 1 bedroom condo is just nuts. I can get a one bedroom condo ON THE BEACH in the Destin area for about that much.

Easy180
02-07-2007, 02:32 PM
I think the upcoming Starbucks bumped the condo price up another 50 K :kicking:

metro
02-07-2007, 02:46 PM
I agree, for OKC that is nuts. Forget about Destin, FL, 300k can get you a decent one bedroom condo in NYC or South Beach, FL.

writerranger
02-07-2007, 04:18 PM
To put the asking price of the condos in perspective, with just a cursory look on the web, I found that several one-bedroom condos in Del Mar, CA (San Diego!) can be had for less than $300,000.00. Not a bad location.....(see below).
http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/11645/2004412713019451333_rs.jpg

-----------------------

ksearls
02-07-2007, 05:31 PM
I've heard 23 of 30 units are spoken for. Somebody out there thinks it's worth it to be in the middle of the Bricktown action.

Kim

floater
02-07-2007, 06:01 PM
I think a lot of those are becoming corporate housing. If you have the capital, why rent you can buy? I also think we're underestimating the wealth in the area. There are some people who may have Hollywood-level incomes but with real estate so cheap here, they can afford second homes. All those people with ranches in the outskirts (doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, NBA players) probably are looking for an urban address with all that's happening downtown now.

writerranger
02-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I think a lot of those are becoming corporate housing. If you have the capital, why rent you can buy? I also think we're underestimating the wealth in the area. There are some people who may have Hollywood-level incomes but with real estate so cheap here, they can afford second homes. All those people with ranches in the outskirts (doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, NBA players) probably are looking for an urban address with all that's happening downtown now.

Good points, floater. About corporate housing, some condos have association rules that prohibit that. Are you just speculating or do you know something? Your thoughts on suburbanites with huge incomes wanting an urban outpost is also quite possible.

Kim, Obviously, you are right. I don't understand it at those prices, but you are quite correct.

-------------

metro
02-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I know a lot of the Centennial and a few other developments have sold condo's for corporate housing. I also know that is the main focus of the 360 on NW Expressway. I know the new Legacy Summit at Arts Central claims to have preleased a bunch of corporate units as well. Good points that are often forgotten about. I'm sure floater is also right about NBA players, CEO's, and other's wanting a second residence. I know a few that are doing it, probably many more that I don't know about.

floater
02-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Good points, floater. About corporate housing, some condos have association rules that prohibit that. Are you just speculating or do you know something? Your thoughts on suburbanites with huge incomes wanting an urban outpost is also quite possible.

-------------

Just speculating. For insider knowledge, look to metro :rolleyes:

fsusurfer
02-07-2007, 09:08 PM
I've lived downtown for almost 5 years. I pay about 1000 bucks a month rent (which Im sick of paying, but I like living downtown so much) The prices of the condos they are building around here I cant afford, nor can most of my young-professional neighbors, to whom I think Bricktown appeals most to. It sucks that I've lived down here, invested a TON of money in the area, and I cant afford to buy a place in the area I've invested so much into.

johnnyboyokc
02-08-2007, 01:11 AM
this is cheapest town for a young prof to live in................if you want to live in a subarb get on it.......be happy our dt is coming to life...........and shut your face..................i know you will......tell me the cost of living on greenville in dallas, there is no comparison...........

fsusurfer
02-08-2007, 01:43 AM
this is cheapest town for a young prof to live in................if you want to live in a subarb get on it.......be happy our dt is coming to life...........and shut your face..................i know you will......tell me the cost of living on greenville in dallas, there is no comparison...........

Shut my face? I really wish you’d say that to my face, easy to act like a bad-ass hiding behind a screen name isn’t it .Maybe you should read the whole thread, instead of butting in with what little input you have. But anyway, Im about to prove how ignorant on this subject (and probably others) you are ...Downtown Dallas Condo, Turtle Creek(one of the nicest parts of downtown Dallas), 1br/1bath, $205,000. Link(Unit #312 | $205,000 | 1122 Jackson - Dallas, TX 75202 | 10618557 - CondoCompany.com (http://dallas.condocompany.com/Downtown-Dallas/PL183201/)) That took me about 10 seconds to find, and I am sure there are other deals out there, not to mention the fact, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but the real estate market isn’t exactly in a boom, anywhere. I’m not saying that downtown Oklahoma City isn’t a good place to live, but the price of a 1 bedroom condo should NOT exceed the price of a 1 bedroom condo on the beach in SoCal or in South Beach....the cost of condos downtown are currently overblown.

Martin
02-08-2007, 06:02 AM
johnnyboy... i agree that this is an inexpensive city to live in, but i think the point being made is that some of these new condos are not priced consistently with our market. feel free to argue otherwise... but i think you can do so without telling people to 'shut their face' when their opinions don't match yours. -M

jbrown84
02-08-2007, 12:34 PM
and shut your face..................i know you will......tell me the cost of living on greenville in dallas, there is no comparison...........

Holy crap that was rude and unneccesary.

ksearls
02-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Yikes, that was not nice! Oh my, such a good reason to not drink and post!

Hey, I'm hearing about a project that should make fsusurfer and those in the same demographic very happy! Think you'll see something about it next week.

Kim

jbrown84
02-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Aw, spill the beans Kim! :D

metro
02-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Kim might be referring to McDermids newest proposal somewhere around 2nd street in Deep Deuce. He's talked about it publically before but hasn't made an official announcement yet. It would be close to the Maywood Park development in the Triangle. He plans to target them for around 100K or so to the first time homebuyer with a smaller income.

Don't pay any attention to johnnyboy, his posts never make sense and never has any truth to back his claims up.

FSU I feel sorry for you wasting your money in a place I'm guessing is the Deep Deuce apartments. Not sure where you've been but the Harvey Lofts have been open for awhile now and start at around $120K. If you're paying $1000 in rent, a mortgage on that would easily be about what your paying now, and possibly cheaper if you're credit is good. Not to mention the fact you would be building equity.

fsusurfer
02-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Kim might be referring to McDermids newest proposal somewhere around 2nd street in Deep Deuce. He's talked about it publically before but hasn't made an official announcement yet. It would be close to the Maywood Park development in the Triangle. He plans to target them for around 100K or so to the first time homebuyer with a smaller income.

Don't pay any attention to johnnyboy, his posts never make sense and never has any truth to back his claims up.

FSU I feel sorry for you wasting your money in a place I'm guessing is the Deep Deuce apartments. Not sure where you've been but the Harvey Lofts have been open for awhile now and start at around $120K. If you're paying $1000 in rent, a mortgage on that would easily be about what your paying now, and possibly cheaper if you're credit is good. Not to mention the fact you would be building equity.

I know your probably right. I moved here 5 years ago thinking I would only be here a couple years. Well, 5 years later I'm still here! Thanks for the info...

BDP
02-08-2007, 03:26 PM
300k can get you a decent one bedroom condo in NYC

Really? Where? Do you have a listing? I'm being serious. If you can do that, I might have to consider it.

metro
02-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Perhaps not an uber luxury condo in Manhattan but in the NYC area you could get a one bedroom for that easy. Notice how the post said decent, not uber luxury with this ridiculous new developments going up in NYC, Vegas and Miami.

Perhaps you haven't done your homework BDP, the first google search I did for "NYC condo's under 300k" the first link google listed has 43 properties under 300k and the information is within 2 weeks of being new. Surely someone savvy and willing enough to invest in an NYC condo would do a little more research than a 5 second search I did on google.

Manhattan Real Estate: New York City Real Estate Tips (http://www.urbandigs.com/2007/01/the_300k_under.html)

BDP
02-08-2007, 04:10 PM
I did 3 searches on real estate sites for 1 bedroom condos in NYC between 250k and 350k and couldn't find one. I thought you meant NYC, not "NYC area" and I thought we were talking about 1 bedroom condos, not one room apts like the ones you linked to. Big difference. Those are 300, 425, and 400 sq ft. all with the simple criteria of "below 96th street". Someone savvy and willing enough to invest in an NYC condo would understand the important differences in these criteria.

These condos are also not just anywhere in OKC, are 1 bedrooms, and will be bigger than 500 sq ft. The article said that there is a $288/sq ft average. At 300k, that's 1041 sq feet, close to or more than 3 times the size of those you linked us to. There is still not much on the market for downtown OKC. It stands to reason that they would at the top end of the OKC condo market and these prices simply reflect that.

So, again, if you find me a comparable 1 bedroom condo in NYC for anywhere near the same price... well, if you find that, you should buy it.

fsusurfer
02-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I did 3 searches on real estate sites for 1 bedroom condos in NYC between 250k and 350k and couldn't find one. I thought you meant NYC, not "NYC area" and I thought we were talking about 1 bedroom condos, not one room apts like the ones you linked to. Big difference. Those are 300, 425, and 400 sq ft. all with the simple criteria of "below 96th street". Someone savvy and willing enough to invest in an NYC condo would understand the important differences in these criteria.

These condos are also not just anywhere in OKC, are 1 bedrooms, and will be bigger than 500 sq ft. The article said that there is a $288/sq ft average. At 300k, that's 1041 sq feet, close to or more than 3 times the size of those you linked us to. There is still not much on the market for downtown OKC. It stands to reason that they would at the top end of the OKC condo market and these prices simply reflect that.

So, again, if you find me a comparable 1 bedroom condo in NYC for anywhere near the same price... well, if you find that, you should buy it.

I agree, it would probably be hard if not impossible to find a 1 bedroom condo for 300,000 in NYC, however in many other downtowns it is not. The problem is, is that on average, these other cities with comparable prices on condos have higher average incomes. Yes, OKC is a cheap city to live in, however that is due to fact that the average income for workers is lower than in other major cities.

AFCM
02-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Geesh......................chill.................. .out...................johnnyboyokc............... .............

BDP
02-09-2007, 09:08 AM
I agree, it would probably be hard if not impossible to find a 1 bedroom condo for 300,000 in NYC, however in many other downtowns it is not. The problem is, is that on average, these other cities with comparable prices on condos have higher average incomes. Yes, OKC is a cheap city to live in, however that is due to fact that the average income for workers is lower than in other major cities.

Those are definitely good points. I do agree that they seem a bit high, but they also seem to be getting interest at those prices. We won't know until these places start closing how much they are really worth. Oklahoma City is a bid down market and it wouldn't surprise me to see these come down as well. These prices are high for Oklahoma City and higher than some other cities' downtowns, but are they higher than most cities high demand low inventory areas? Not really.

Downtown is still a very small and an immature market and what we're seeing now are the first new apartments with new amenities in a very long time. The area is really becoming an attraction and there is a lot of upside speculation going on. Again, I don't think we know the true worth of these properties, but I would be very surprised if any of them were introduced as affordable housing initially. I'm not saying that the prices aren't high, I'm just saying that it seems completely normal to me that they would be.

fsusurfer
02-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Those are definitely good points. I do agree that they seem a bit high, but they also seem to be getting interest at those prices. We won't know until these places start closing how much they are really worth. Oklahoma City is a bid down market and it wouldn't surprise me to see these come down as well. These prices are high for Oklahoma City and higher than some other cities' downtowns, but are they higher than most cities high demand low inventory areas? Not really.

Downtown is still a very small and an immature market and what we're seeing now are the first new apartments with new amenities in a very long time. The area is really becoming an attraction and there is a lot of upside speculation going on. Again, I don't think we know the true worth of these properties, but I would be very surprised if any of them were introduced as affordable housing initially. I'm not saying that the prices aren't high, I'm just saying that it seems completely normal to me that they would be.

Good points. One problem I think has happend, is some of the price points were set a year and half to two years ago when 1) the real estate market was in a boomimg and 2) the hornets looked like they might become a permanent fixture which would increase the "value" of living downtown. The thing the perplexes me, is the price points of many of these places are above the amount that many people who are attracted to the bricktown area and who pump money into the area at all hours of the day can afford. (young professionals who are out in bricktown spending the money on the weekends, partying it up every night, shopping in the high end stores, ect.). I mean, I saw one advertisment for Maywood trying to get grandmothers to move in. I love my grandma, but I dont think grandmas are the type to pump money into downtown on a regular basis. Also, if companies are purchasing some of these places for out-of town guests to live in, in the long run does that really help to pump money into the local market. The apartment above me used to be rented out by a company. There was someone there maybe 3 days out of the week at most. They would come in town, go to work, come home and sleep, and then jump on a jet and were out of there a couple days later. Another problem I see is re-sale value. Once the "newness" factor wears off in 5-10 years, is a one bedroom condo really going to be able to sell for 300,000 dollars. I think we can all agree, OKC is growing, but it will be no NYC in the next 50 years. And on top of that, in 10-15 years who knows what sort of direction downtown may have taken. Many entertainment districs have been known to boom, then burn across the country. I know we all hope for the best, but points of interest can shift. Investment wise, I dont think its a smart decision. We'll see what happens, I bet your right that some price points will probably fall over the next year.

stlokc
02-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Very good points.

If you want another perspective from a city that doesn't get quite as much attention in OKC as Dallas does:

I live in St. Louis, MO and the downtown here is probably 3-5 years ahead of OKC in terms of residential redevelopment. In the late 1990s as the first projects were getting off the ground, there were many of the same arguments about price points and affordability for young buyers. But the interesting thing is each project kept seling well and kept leading to more projects. Even at high prices. I couldn't understand this but a developer friend of mine said a market like that doesn't always follow what you think you know about supply and demand. The more people flow into a downtown, the more people think it becomes a viable option. So the supply begins to drive the demand, instead of the other way around. Only a few may want to be pioneers, but as more people begin to actually know people that live down there, more people's eyes get opened. There are now 10,000 living in downtown STL.

As for "grandma," I used to think the same thing. But my developer friend said people move to a downtown in waves. The first wave is the twenty something, but once the area gets stabilized, the next wave is empty nesters. A lot of the people buying in Downtown STL now are 55 year old couples whose kids are gone, and they want to be close to theaters, stadiums, etc. and downsize from big houses in the suburbs. And they do have a lot of money to spend in restaurants, way more than your average 28 year old with a $50K job.

Not saying OKC will develop the same way, but the ingredients seem to be getting themselves in place.

BDP
02-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Again, solid points and very valid concerns.

the price points of many of these places are above the amount that many people who are attracted to the bricktown area and who pump money into the area at all hours of the day can afford.

Unfortunately, I think this is the case with many areas that have become "hip" and/or gentrified across the country. The young workers, artists, and hip businesses that end up making a once unfavorable area desirable once again, soon find that they can not afford their current digs and have to migrate elsewhere. Places like NYC, San Francisco, and Chicago have all had problems with the creative and young professional classes eventually being priced out of the very areas that they defined and made attractive.

In the case of downtown and bricktown, these prices may prevent the area from becoming the hip place to live that everyone is anticipating and marketing it as. If anything, I think these price points are set based on the idea that all of these projects will eventually create a truly unique and interesting place to live in OKC. Ironically, placing it out of reach of OKC's young workers may prevent what their selling coming to fruition.

Also, if companies are purchasing some of these places for out-of town guests to live in, in the long run does that really help to pump money into the local market. ... They... come in town, go to work, come home and sleep, and then jump on a jet and were out of there a couple days later.

Well, that's actually the best kind of money in terms of the city economy as a whole, because it truly is money coming into the economy instead of simply being reallocated to another sector. In effect, it is a true net gain. However, I think there is a valid concern that the specific district may not get as much of a long term gain form the situation and, in turn, the city's goal of creating a new lifestyle option in OKC is not met. Permanent residency goes much farther towards the vitality and, ultimately, the inherent attractiveness of an urban district. Let's be honest: downtown housing is not about price per square foot, as much of the city real estate is measured. It's about obtaining a lifestyle otherwise not available in the area.

And on top of that, in 10-15 years who knows what sort of direction downtown may have taken. Many entertainment districs have been known to boom, then burn across the country.

This is true. Right now, I think the outlook is good and these developments in and of themselves help with that outlook. In a way, they are justifying their own premiums. But they will have to find that balance for sustainability. That's why it's good for the developers themselves to have long term interests through their retail and office space leases and is why the city should favor mixed use developments. If half a building is leased to businesses, then the developer has an interest to sell all of its residential properties to keep them full to make the lease properties more attractive and, in turn, sustain a better long term cash flow for the property.

I dont think grandmas are the type to pump money into downtown on a regular basis.

It depends on the grandma, obviously, but it probably isn't the right direction to go. However, it does seem that empty nesters is the angle many developers are going after now to sustain their high asking prices that were initially inflated by young professionals. It's kind of funny compared to 10 years ago, but older retirees are becoming an important sector for urban developers.

Another problem I see is re-sale value. Once the "newness" factor wears off in 5-10 years, is a one bedroom condo really going to be able to sell for 300,000 dollars

No one can say for sure. If these places can create a vital downtown residential strict that has 24/7 feel, I think they will hold their value, because, if for nothing else, you won't be able to get that life anywhere else in Oklahoma. If 3% of the housing mix is downtown and 5% of the buyers are interested in urban living, they will hold their value. I don't think those are outrageous numbers for OKC, so it could happen.

Investment wise, I dont think its a smart decision.

I think I agree. This is not a flippers market. I'd look to the Paseo or University Park for that. The truth is that OKC is not going to be a get rich off of your house type market anyway. Downtown housing is mostly a lifestyle choice and these prices reflect the promise of a lifestyle that downtown can not quite offer yet. For these places to hold their value, I'd say your going to need to see more retail, a grocery store, some corner stores/delis, etc. within walking distances or connected by easy public transit very soon. I think if all that stuff was already in place, we wouldn't worry so much about these valuations. Basically, the idea of urban living is built into these prices and the sustained value of the properties completely depends on that vision becoming a reality in the next 2-3 years, imo. Beyond that, if some of the core to shore ideas come to be and MAPS 3 brings some new amenities to the area, we could in fact see some appreciation, but I’m thinking that won’t happen until 2012, when the freeway is moved.

writerranger
02-09-2007, 01:38 PM
What a great thread. I wish most could have this kind of give and take without all the anger and pettiness.
[on edit: After reading the thread through again - I realize there was one notable exception]

There have been some things written by several that have helped me understand how this may all play out. A lot of things I hadn't thought about before really made a light bulb go on for me. It was interesting to hear about the St. Louis experience too. Good stuff in this thread.

-------------------

fsusurfer
02-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Good information BDP. I think we both kind-of see it the same way. At those prices, its sort-of a roll of the dice as to whether downtown will be able to sustain the level of interest that will draw such a high price on housing. One thing about St. Louis is the fact they have a professional baseball team and football team located pretty close to downtown which definatly ups the "value" of living in the area. I think we've already seen one condo (however not directly downtown) that hasn't exactly done as well as intended, the Classen. I believe at the begining they were all meant to be sold, however now they are trying to lease out many of the units and from what I've heard there are still quite a few available.

stlokc
02-09-2007, 03:46 PM
FSUsurfer,
You are right about St. Louis having pro football and baseball (and hockey) downtown. However, the most important thing helping the revitalization of downtown St. Louis is the large concentration of offices. I have written about this in other posts - when you have big corporate HQ (AG Edwards, Purina, Anheuser-Busch, AT&T Regional etc.) and dozens of large law firms and banks, not to mention the daily newspaper downtown, than you have a mass of young, educated, relatively affluent people already in the neighborhood ten hours a day.

The things that are going on in downtown OKC and Bricktown are fantastic! But entertainment tastes are fleeting. Ultimately you can't rely on restaurants, retail, ballparks, etc. Downtown has to re-build its business base and the city as a whole has to attract or grow more of the types of companies that employ people who would want/be able to afford to live downtown. I know that's not the topic of this thread, but it is so essential. Everybody talks endlessly about the entertainment aspects of MAPS, etc. but the less sexy corporate offices are what is really going to make a neighborhood work. People like living close to where they work.

jbrown84
02-09-2007, 03:59 PM
I think you make a strong point, stlokc. I don't know if it's a MAPS thing, but I would like to see the city give incentives to companies for locating downtown instead of by Quail Springs. If Hertz and Dobson and Chesapeake were downtown, we could have a couple more towers at least.

writerranger
02-09-2007, 04:05 PM
I think you make a strong point, stlokc. I don't know if it's a MAPS thing, but I would like to see the city give incentives to companies for locating downtown instead of by Quail Springs. If Hertz and Dobson and Chesapeake were downtown, we could have a couple more towers at least.

I'm not sure that having the large lifestyle office campus is such a bad thing for Oklahoma City. Every great city has at least one, and it makes the city - as a whole - look more economically vibrant than to have all of the big corporations downtown. Not to mention it's been a boon for retail and eateries along Western. Pros and cons, I know. In the long run though, I kind of like the Chesapeake campus.

-----------

stlokc
02-09-2007, 04:12 PM
EXACTLY!!!

Incentives might be a good start. I don't know how that would work.

However, I think it's also a question of corporate "peer pressure." And it can't really be regulated. It has to be a mindset within the community. Dobson, Hertz, Express Personnel, Chesapeake aren't critcized (well, maybe Chesapeake is a little bit) for building the way they do. The Oklahoman can't take them to task (as happens with the daily paper here) because they themselves left Downtown twenty years ago.

I also find it unusual that OKC's biggest ad agencies are not downtown. If there was ever a "creative" industry, that's it. And Ackerman McQueen and Jordan, for example are very large players in their industry.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I'm sure the city is taking the tack that all the entertainment activity downtown gets people talking and over time builds the "brand " that changes the mindset, unfortunately that may take a generation...

stlokc
02-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Writeranger,
It's not a bad thing to have the Quail Springs development per se. Every city does have that kind of office park. And every new company does not have to be downtown. It just seems to me like you almost never hear of a company expanding downtown, except for Devon, God bless them.

The cities that most of the country want to live in have active, exciting cores. That is what defines them and makes them interesting. As safe and clean as Memorial Road is (and I grew up off of Memorial Road), it's no different than any other suburb. I want my hometown to have interesting and prosperous urban possibilities. And it will be downtown, for better or worse that defines OKC.

jbrown84
02-09-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure that having the large lifestyle office campus is such a bad thing for Oklahoma City. Every great city has at least one, and it makes the city - as a whole - look more economically vibrant than to have all of the big corporations downtown. Not to mention it's been a boon for retail and eateries along Western. Pros and cons, I know. In the long run though, I kind of like the Chesapeake campus.

-----------

I agree with you about Chesapeake. I was talking moreso about the other two.

I also find it unusual that OKC's biggest ad agencies are not downtown. If there was ever a "creative" industry, that's it. And Ackerman McQueen and Jordan, for example are very large players in their industry.

That is unusual. I know Ackerman is in the top few floors of Valliance Bank. Where is Jordan? I can tell you that I work for a rapidly growing ad agency (we have St. Anthony Hospital, John Holt Auto Group, Brewer Carpet One, Floor Trader, and others) and as soon as we outgrow our current facility we will likely move to a Midtown location.

shane453
02-09-2007, 09:26 PM
The Centennial is currently the ONLY condo opportunity in the middle of Bricktown, on the canal. That's quite a niche. There is the announced 12-story project across Reno, but that's nowhere near being a sure thing. So 300k for the rarest location downtown in an neighborhood that is starving for residential development... Not bad. PLUS, it has a swimming pool on the roof and each condo comes with two parking spaces.

I think the Center Pointe Market project isn't bad. It will fill in space between Toby Keith and Harkins, add some retail and office space. It looks a ton better than some of the other buildings in Lower Bricktown. Of course, I'm just an optimist about Lower Bricktown and not a member of the camp that thinks nothing good can ever happen there.

I've seen renderings of the McDermid project you guys are talking about at OkMet.

writerranger
02-09-2007, 10:33 PM
The Centennial is currently the ONLY condo opportunity in the middle of Bricktown, on the canal. That's quite a niche. There is the announced 12-story project across Reno, but that's nowhere near being a sure thing. So 300k for the rarest location downtown in an neighborhood that is starving for residential development... Not bad. PLUS, it has a swimming pool on the roof and each condo comes with two parking spaces.

I guess we all have our ideas on what $300,000.00 (plus) should give you for a condo. For me, it would be something other than Bricktown OKC, with a pool on the roof and two parking places. And I love Oklahoma City, but still.

------------------------------

fsusurfer
02-10-2007, 12:43 AM
I guess we all have our ideas on what $300,000.00 (plus) should give you for a condo. For me, it would be something other than Bricktown OKC, with a pool on the roof and two parking places. And I love Oklahoma City, but still.

------------------------------

Even if I did have the money to afford a $2000.00+ a month mortgage payment, I'd have to agree with you there..

AFCM
02-10-2007, 11:21 AM
I totally support condos going up in downtown, but am I the only one who's a little bitter about condos going up on the canal? I thought Bricktown was supposed to be an entertainment district for everyone. Now that everything is finalized, I say more power to you if you wish to live on the canal; I would if I had the money. While I like the idea of a bowling alley, coffee shop, and retail on the lower level, I'm just not in favor of letting people shack up on a canal that was supposed to be used for entertainment.

To save this thread from going a whole other direction, I won't mention names; however, it seems like certain people are exploiting prime land just to make a buck. I'm sorry if I come off as pessimistic. I'm quite the opposite. I believe in Bricktown and Oklahoma City, but this is burning me in the same way as seeing a Sonic HQ right on the canal.

To finish this post on a positive note, I just want to give it up to the folks that wrote some very insightful and creative reads. Great posts!

shane453
02-10-2007, 01:48 PM
What's the difference between a Sonic office building (with retail at ground level) and the leasable office space that is all over the place in Bricktown?

If you're going to have 2 stories of retail/entertainment, why not stack some condos on top to add some other opportunities on the canal? We can't fill midrise after midrise with clubs and restaurants and gift shops.

jbrown84
02-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Shane is right. If we can't even fill ground floor retail space in the Sonic Building, what else could be there?

metro
02-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Yeah AFCM, to make the area long-term feasible, you have to have offices and residential, in fact, WAYYYYYYYYY more of it. Just look at how the West End is nearly dead in Dallas right now. Very similar to Bricktown. You can only have so much restaurants and bars, after that you need the people who are there day after day supporting such an area. I agree Hogan and other developers are wasting prime land and not using it to the best of their abilities or best use of the land, but we do need much more residential.

Spartan
02-11-2007, 10:08 PM
It's nice to complain when you've done nothing for Bricktown yourself.

For me, it's the first decent project we've seen from Hogan all these years. Harumph.

BDP
02-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Not to mention it's been a boon for retail and eateries along Western.

It's been a boon to property owners who have sold to Chesapeake. Other than that, Chesapeake is pretty insular, as campuses are designed to be. They work and eat on campus, so it's not like it brings a lot commerce into the area, just increased property value due to the premiums Chesapeake pays. And it's not like that area was dead before. If anything there is less there now than before.

I thought Bricktown was supposed to be an entertainment district for everyone.

To be fair, just about every new development has had some facet that serves the public. Residential works hand in hand with the entertainment services to create a viable and sustainable district.

The main hindrance to that area now is that there was and is no comprehensive retail plan, even though lower bricktown started as a blank slate and could have been anything. With very few exceptions retail depends on critical mass. It is very hard to bring in traffic and customers on your own, especially if you're a specialty or niche retailer. As stlokc pointed out with residential, the more retail space there is, the more viable the area looks to retailers.

This project looks good and should help, but is it enough? Just eyeballing that lot tells me that it is not. It doesn't seem to be big enough to add any critical mass. But I agree with Spartan that it, along with the Centennial, are Hogan's best efforts. That is, if the market actually gets built. He wants 50% occupancy before he'll start. Again, this is just another example of Hogan being completely unwilling to reward the city for awarding him prime publicly enhanced land. In my mind, he should be building twice as big and taking more risk himself, since the city took such a risk on him. Instead, he has probably stunted retail's growth in the area with his conservative piecemeal pad lot strategy.

If we can't even fill ground floor retail space in the Sonic Building, what else could be there?

People want lots of options and only several options can create a retail destination for shoppers. There simply isn't the space to even reach a critical mix of retailers, even if they wanted to be there. They can't fill the Sonic Building, because lower bricktown is not a retail destination nor is it prime or designed to be. Hogan has not planned it to be that. He may want it, but he hasn't taken any risk to get it there and that will be necessary if we want to build a retail center from scratch.

I don’t know what kind of leases he is offering, but, like the condo prices, he may be trying to lease it as a retail destination, when it is not even close to that at this point. I imagine that the potential sales per square foot do not gel with his lease terms at this point. I can’t confirm that, but, if true, we should be more worried about that than high condo prices. Whereas a condo can give superficial returns in obtaining a new lifestyle and, therefore justify a premium to some, no retailer is going to lose money in a bricktown location just because they think it’s cool to be there.

AFCM
02-12-2007, 01:48 PM
I totally support the idea of more offices and residents being located downtown, but I just don't like the idea of them being on the canal. Sure, we can't continue to fill midrises with restaurants, gift shops, etc., which is why we need to start thinking outside of the box. The canal was put in place to cement an entertainment district, and all we have so far are restaurants and bars. We could be doing so much more. Just because Hogan can't think of any other concepts doesn't mean we should just settle for the next thing that comes to mind.

Let me say again; I would like to see more residential establishments downtown, just not on the canal. And Spartan, as a taxpayer I did contribute to the development of the canal and Bricktown. I've been away for the past couple of years and as a student, I'm certainly not in the position to take the reigns with funding Bricktown developments. However, this was Oklahoma City's "Garden of Eden" and had so much potential. Am I wrong for being disgusted with what has taken place in Lower Bricktown? If I am unsound for voicing my discontent with Lower Bricktown and Randy Hogan, at least I can take comfort in knowing I'm with good company.

I respect everyone's opinion on the matter, but this is just how I feel.

jbrown84
02-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Disgusted is too strong a word for me. Overall I think he could have done much better, especially with everything east of the Centennial Plaza core area, but I wouldn't use the word disgusted.

AFCM
02-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Jbrown, the word "disgusted" doesn't apply solely to the subpar developments. While the developments have been substandard, I'm particularly unhappy with the way Lower Bricktown has been exploited for personal gain. The taxpayers of OKC deserve better than what's being established.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, let me just state that I am happy to see dirt moving near downtown Oklahoma City. I know we're light years ahead of where we were ten years ago, but when I had golden opportunities and produced crap as a kid, I would be scolded for doing a "half-a**" job. Why should Hogan be immune from criticism? What we're seeing is a "half-a**" job on a major scale, and Hogan's banking big. Some people have even gone as far as to cite corruption and illegal activities have taken place. Without direct evidence, I won't go as far as accusing anyone of any wrongdoing, but if you ask my opinion, I certainly don't like what has become of Lower Bricktown.

With all of this being said, please take the above into consideration when I use the word "disgusted".

SpectralMourning
02-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Jbrown, the word "disgusted" doesn't apply solely to the subpar developments. While the developments have been substandard, I'm particularly unhappy with the way Lower Bricktown has been exploited for personal gain. The taxpayers of OKC deserve better than what's being established.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, let me just state that I am happy to see dirt moving near downtown Oklahoma City. I know we're light years ahead of where we were ten years ago, but when I had golden opportunities and produced crap as a kid, I would be scolded for doing a "half-a**" job. Why should Hogan be immune from criticism? What we're seeing is a "half-a**" job on a major scale, and Hogan's banking big. Some people have even gone as far as to cite corruption and illegal activities have taken place. Without direct evidence, I won't go as far as accusing anyone of any wrongdoing, but if you ask my opinion, I certainly don't like what has become of Lower Bricktown.

With all of this being said, please take the above into consideration when I use the word "disgusted".

Very good points presented. I don't think we all are really capable of fully realizing what we're onto with Bricktown and we can't let second-rate developers hamper that. I think that's why I was so excited to see the possibility of an extension of Bricktown south of I-40 in the Core to Shore plan. Let's hope they realize how good of an idea that is. If a true Lower Bricktown (or South Bricktown?) is created with extremely proactive, progressive developers, then maybe those "up the road" can see what they're missing.

On a side note, Bricktown probably would be the best-served area with a small grocery store. Maybe this would be the area to see it done.

Spartan
02-14-2007, 08:37 PM
If people on this forum feel so passionately why don't they join together what money they do have and build something the way they think it should be done.

It's called putting your money where your mouth is.

AFCM
02-14-2007, 09:45 PM
This board isn't about money, it's about discussion, which is precisely what everyone has been doing. No one who registers to post on the forum accepts terms of having to dish out cash.

Secondly, you need to realize there's more to putting up a building in Bricktown than just money. What you're suggesting is simply unreasonable. Here's a thought; your username is Spartan, so why don't you invent a time machine, travel back in time and visit the city of Sparta? After all, you call yourself "Spartan" which means "a native or inhabitant of Sparta".

post only if you have something signifigant to contribute.

Rage 2.0
02-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Hey AFCM buy a brick...

It looks like a joke but yours is lame...

At least DT OKC has something to be proud off... Everytime something is happening in Tulsa, we get screwed... So what-ever is it a condo is great on the canal... Make it a 24 hour joint...

SpectralMourning
02-14-2007, 10:09 PM
beep!

AFCM
02-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Okay...I do-not....understand...what...you...mean...by...so what-ever is it a condo...sorry...not comprehending...was a joke...but yours is lame...should we...be proud of...the centennial...?.......

Hurts your eyes trying to decipher this encrypted message, doesn't it? Gather your thoughts before typing next time.

writerranger
02-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Okay...I do-not....understand...what...you...mean...by...so what-ever is it a condo...sorry...not comprehending...was a joke...but yours is lame...should we...be proud of...the centennial...?.......

Hurts your eyes trying to decipher this encrypted message, doesn't it? Gather your thoughts before typing next time.

I thought the same thing as that post had no meaning at all. I also agree that Spartan's post about pooling our money and the cliché of, "put your money where your mouth is," was a bit off. So much of what is happening in Bricktown and the CBD is happening because of the huge infusion of public dollars. That gives us the right to discuss these matters without feeling somehow obligated to go build something of our own. If I supported a national health program for the United States, that wouldn't obligate me to go pooling dollars with like-minded people and begin building a network of fully-funded, open-to-all hospitals. That is the same logic and I think it serves no purpose to stifle discussion based on such a simplistic premise.

-----------------------------

AFCM
02-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Well, looking back at that post I realize I came off as a jerk and I apologize for that. My wife is in Afghanistan and this is our first Valentine's Day apart so I've been a little testy today. Still, I just couldn't ignore a post which reeked of immature advice such as, "put your money where your mouth is". Nice analogy, writerranger.

Now, can we get back on topic? We were discussing The Centennial.

Julesc2001
02-15-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm still laughing about that guy saying "Shut your face"... who says that?? lol. Classic comedy... made my day. haaa....

jdsplaypin
02-15-2007, 03:41 PM
i agree with jules... thats half the reason i keep reading this thread...is to find.... something like that..... again

fsusurfer
02-15-2007, 03:42 PM
i agree with jules... thats half the reason i keep reading this thread...is to find.... something like that..... again

It wouldn't....be funny...if it was....directed at....you!

AFCM
02-15-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm still laughing about that guy saying "Shut your face"... who says that?? lol. Classic comedy... made my day. haaa....

I don't recall seeing, "Shut your face", anywhere in the thread.