View Full Version : Former Factory property back on track

Pete
02-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Veteran developer returns to Bricktown
By Steve Lackmeyer Business Writer

Veteran Bricktown developer Chuck Ainsworth is returning to the entertainment district after a two-year absence and is partnering with property owner Jeff Moore for a proposed renovation of the former Bunte Candy Building into housing and retail.

Property records show the building at 1 E Sheridan, built in 1911, was sold by Moore’s Bricktown Square, LLC, to Candy Factory Lofts, a partnership between Moore and Ainsworth, on Jan. 17 for $2.2 million.

Ainsworth was a leading developer in Bricktown throughout the 1990s and until 2005, when he sold his share of properties along the Bricktown Canal to then-partner French Hickman. Moore, meanwhile, is a homebuilder who in November 2005 bought an entire square block of Bricktown bordered by Oklahoma Avenue, Sheridan Avenue, Main Street and the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad at auction for $10.9 million.

That purchase included 1 E Sheridan, which last was occupied in the early 1990s by the Bunte Candy Co. Ainsworth said he was surprised by the sale price, which he credits to the city’s Metropolitan Area Projects program.

“I think our expectations have probably exceeded what we dreamed might happen,” Ainsworth said. “It’s been a combination of public and private working together, and Oklahoma City should be extremely proud.”

Moore said Ainsworth called him shortly after the sale, and talks ensued over a year.

“I’ve admired what he did with other buildings in Bricktown,” Moore said. “I’m excited to try to put a deal together between the two of us.”

Ainsworth and Moore said they are finalizing redevelopment plans, which they hope to announce within 45 days. They confirmed housing and retail are a likely mix for the six-story building.

“Housing seems to be a major ingredient that needs to be included in the overall redevelopment of Bricktown and downtown,” Ainsworth said. “It will add stability and continuity to everything we’re doing. If you look across the United States, this is the trend — bring people back downtown to live.”

metro
02-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I knew Patrick would be excited to see this. I just hope Moore and Ainsworth do it right if it gets done. Moore is a residential developer and new to the game and Ainsworth hasn't done anything impressive even though he's been around. But it does seem like they get it that we need more residential for Bricktown to survive longterm.

BDP
02-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I don't have much faith in the names behind it, but their perspective seems appropriate. They could just buy the old plans, imo, and go from there, but they may be looking for a less ambitious solution. We'll see.

jbrown84
02-05-2007, 03:23 PM
What has Ainsworth developed in the past?

BDP
02-06-2007, 10:59 AM
To my knowledge, Ainsworth is more property manager than developer. He has or had some propeties on the canal. He was one that has been quoted as not wanting to lease to local start ups and tends to leave properties open rather than take a shot on some locals.

So, it looks like it will be developed by a suburban home builder and a property manager. Basically, neither really seem to have much experience with something like this. So, they're a blank slate. Hey, they could hit a home run, but I would expect them to be very tentative their first time out as others have been.

Granted, I don't know every detail of their resumes, but I am not familar with either really doing anything like this before, so there's not much to go on.

Pete
03-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Sweet return: Renovation planned for old candy company building
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record
3/2/2007

OKLAHOMA CITY – A former candy company building in Bricktown, which has sat vacant even as the district has thrived in recent years, is set to be converted into office, residential and retail space.

In January, Jeff Moore and Chuck Ainsworth, as Candy Factory Lofts LLC, acquired the former Bunte Candy building at 1 E. Sheridan Ave. for $2.2 million.

Ainsworth said the plan is to call the building The Candy Factory, although planning and marketing is still in the early stages. The Ainsworth Co. will provide development and marketing services for the project.

Ainsworth said the seven-story building will likely be divided into a few floors for residential use, several floors for office and a retail element on the ground floor.

Ainsworth said they have not decided yet whether they will sell the residential units.

“We’re trying to complete plans and do pricing right now,” he said.

The building, which is on the National Historic Register, is a poured-in-place concrete building with about 61,000-square-feet of space with parking on the north side. Ainsworth said the ground level could house service-oriented businesses with the possibility of a small specialty grocery or convenience store.

The housing element will also be one of the first in the area in an existing building.

Frank Sims, executive director of the Bricktown Association, said the mix of residential and retail could lure other similar projects to the area.

“It’s the only project in the heart of Bricktown with living as well as retail,” Sims said. “I think everyone recognizes the need for additional retail downtown.”

Ainsworth said he does not see ultimately fighting for residential tenants with other neighboring housing projects that are popping up around downtown.

“I think you’re going to see this whole downtown housing thing really take off within a year,” he said. “I think all of the product on the drawing board right now is unique enough that we’re going to be in more of a cooperating-with-each-other mode than having some fierce competition for tenants.”

Since the project is still in the early stages, Ainsworth said he is still trying to determine how much the renovation project will cost.

The block that includes the Bunte building and six others was sold to Moore, of Jeff Moore Homes, for $10.6 million at an open outcry auction in November 2005.

After a group from Kansas City failed to close on the building for a condo project, Ainsworth said he and Moore decided they should work together on developing a use for the building.

Ainsworth said the goal is to begin construction this summer and have it ready for occupancy as soon as the first quarter of 2008.

Tulsa-based Sikes Abernathie Architects will handle the architectural designs.

BDP
03-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Well, mixed use is good and that would be one fun place to live.

Patrick
03-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Been waiting for something to happen with that building for years now. It's in a great location, right there on Sheridan, just east of the RR tracks.

metro
03-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Sad thing is, we're still waiting for something to happen there. Just because plans have been made, doesn't mean action has been taken yet, we've seen it before. If more promising developers were behind it, I'd be optimistic but you've got a newbie residential builder and a Bricktown wash up behind it.

Pete
05-10-2007, 08:55 AM
http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2007/05/10/22/Img/Pc0220800.jpg
This rendering shows plans to convert the former Bunte Candy factory into lofts, offices and retail stores.

Candy Factory plans summer loft conversion
By Steve Lackmeyer Business Writer
Steve Lackmeyer: 475-3230, slackmeyer@oklahoman.com

Owners of the former Bunte Candy Building in Bricktown say construction will begin this summer on conversion into a mixed-use development featuring retail on the ground floor, with lofts and offices above.

The seven-story building at 1 E Sheridan, built in 1911, was sold by Jeff Moore’s Bricktown Square LLC to Candy Factory Lofts, a partnership between Moore and veteran Bricktown developer Chuck Ainsworth, on Jan. 17 for $2.2 million.

Between 1961 and 1991, the building was known as the Bunte Candy Building, and will be renamed the Candy Factory when the $6.4 million renovation is completed in mid-2008.

“This will be a project everybody will love,” Ainsworth said. “The retail we’re targeting would be in the service oriented area. We’re talking to financial institutions, because we would like to see a small branch bank in there. We’re asking what sort of retail could we put in that would make life easier for people downtown?”

Other potential tenants in the Candy Factory could include a dry cleaners or Pass Your Plate-style store that provides prepared meals for people on the run.

“There are several places that do that,” Ainsworth said. “I’ve always thought for the working guy or gal who work downtown, wouldn’t it be great to be able to pick up a quality meal to take home. Or have a small liquor store where they could pick up a bottle of wine.”

Ainsworth said the entire building could have been converted into housing if not for a limit on parking spaces. Previous owners attempted to convert the building to housing, but they were unsuccessful in obtaining an adjoining parking lot to the west that was owned by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. The property was sold instead to parking lot operator Jim Brewer on the condition it might be available for overnight AMTRAK passengers.

A later effort to build a parking garage in a parking lot in the center of the block to support a mixed-used development dubbed “The Factory” which would have included conversion of the Bunte Candy Building into lofts never materialized due to lack of financing.

Ainsworth said Moore has agreed to provide 60 parking spaces in the center lot adjacent to the building.

“The current owners (a separate partnership led by Moore) did not want to give up that parking at night. It was OK for the day. But we were able to secure enough parking to allow for lofts on two stories.”

The renovation, expected to start by fall, will include the addition of an elevator tower, a northwest entrance for office tenants and a roof-top deck. Ainsworth said the deck will offer unrivaled views of the inner-city.

“You can see the state Capitol, you can see the river, the skyline, you can see everything,” Ainsworth said.

Other improvements will include a “community room” for tenants and a fitness center in the basement.

Ainsworth said he expects signed leases for the office floors within weeks, and has parties interested in the retail level.

John Allgood, chairman of the Bricktown Association, said the devel opment is a welcome addition Bricktown. “That’s an entry into Bricktown, and for visibility, the im pression made on visitors will be ex ceptional,” Allgood said.

Ainsworth is no stranger to Brick town; he developed and owned sever al properties along the Bricktown Ca nal until he sold his interests to part ner French Hickman last year.

“We’ve always had a good relation ship with Chuck,” Allgood said “We’re glad he’s back.”

jbrown84
05-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Why not just build a freaking parking garage?! Grrrrrrr.

BDP
05-10-2007, 11:01 AM
I don't think they have the land to build a parking garage. Brewer, however, could do that to expand his parking lot. But that would mean investment and would temporarily affect cash flow. Brewer seems more short term minded than that, imo.

I wouldn't mind seeing another garage go up as long as 1) it looked decent and 2) was not on Sheridan. IMO, some of those lots off Main would make great locations for parking garages. Personally, I hate parking garages as they are typically ugly and are inconvenient to use, but if they need them to support tennants, then I am sure it could be done right.

I do like the focus on service tennants, though. It would be nice to see some businesses that accomodate residents downtown and I am sure some CBDers could use more services as well. It would give bricktown a little more neighborhood feel to it, contrasting its touristy feel its maintained so far.

jbrown84
05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
What about all the parking behind the buildings? That could be a garage just as it was intended to be with The Factory. And Moore owns the whole block.

Patrick
05-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Doesn't Brewer own the parking lot behind Abuelos/Bricktown Brewery/Etc?

I agree...build a parking garage that looks decent. The Bricktown parking garage looks ugly. Would've looked better with brick. And there are parking garages that do have brick on them.....look at all of the parking garages at Baptist Medical Center.....they have bricks that match the building.

jbrown84
05-10-2007, 11:40 AM
How could Brewer own that lot if Moore bought that whole block 9 months ago?

Pete
05-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I like the idea this will be apartments rather than condos.

All the development in and around Bricktown recently has been too exspensive for lots of people.

metro
11-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Anyone heard any updates on this project? It was supposed to have started by now.

Taggart
11-07-2007, 10:01 AM
I think it died again. Nobody seems to be too certain on Bricktown's future to be starting on new developments. It's very pessimistic right now.

Pete
11-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Anybody hear any more about this project?

With the big success of Hogan's Centennial condo project, you think this would be quite viable.

I wonder if they discovered their cost estimates weren't realistic, as it often the case in renovations.

metro
11-15-2007, 01:06 PM
What do you expect from a suburban home builder?

Pete
11-15-2007, 02:03 PM
These guys a bunch of money for that property, though. I don't think they can just sit on it indefinitely like others are doing in the area.

Hopefully they are still planning to go forward and are just tied up with the planning part.

metro
04-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Oklahoma City’s Bricktown Urban Design committee approves application for former candy building
OKC Business
Pamela Grady
4/10/2008

The Bricktown Urban Design Committee approved a new application by Mike Abernathie for Charles Ainsworth, Ainsworth Co. to rehabilitate the former seven-story Bunte Candy building, 1 E. Sheridan on Wednesday at the committee's regular monthly meeting.
The committee also decided to continue discussions regarding an array of details including particulars to signage, paint color and materials used on the inset until the committee’s May monthly meeting.

The 65,000-square-foot project will contain a mixture of office and retail space with a possibility of one or two lofts on the top floor. Initially, residential plans were part of the project, but residential living is not longer part of this new plan.

Abernathie said the property is on the National Historic Register and the owners have already submitted the project to the historic preservation office as well as the national parks office and received approval. The project has met the criteria for certified rehabilitation and will receive tax credits under certain conditions of the project being met.

There will be revisions done to a two-story dock at the site. In addition, some windows will be replaced throughout the building while some historical windows will be kept in certain areas. The third floor windows on the south side of the building were found to be in the best shape as well as top floor windows on the west side of the building.

“The majority of the windows were really butchered up completely,” Abernathie said.

Abernathie said when completed, all windows will be able to open and will display a neutral color.

Also, the building’s fire-escape ladders will be taken off for security purposes and two eyebrow canopies will be added to the building.

Abernathie expressed the owners’ goals are to bring uniformity to the façade of the project while maintaining an industrial feel.

Further, Ainsworth said four floors have already been pre-leased and his goal is to bring a type of retail which will be of use to future tenants of the building.

“There’s a 50-year lease on the parking lot behind us,” he said.

kevinpate
04-11-2008, 09:03 AM
> Initially, residential plans were part of the project, but residential living
> is not longer part of this new plan.

bummer

metro
04-11-2008, 09:57 AM
I know right? These Bricktown developers don't think for the long haul, they can only feed off the convention business for so long without diversifying, we need more housing in Bricktown for long-term growth, the Centennial (which has many part time traveling residents), will not hold Bricktown for the long-haul. Especially if/when the new convention center is built south of the Ford Center.

mmonroe
04-11-2008, 11:50 AM
This building?

http://www.corbanmedia.net/bt/btcandy.gif

jbrown84
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
That's it.

mmonroe
04-11-2008, 12:41 PM
I took this picture yesterday, on the back side there is a "hard hat only door" and what looks like a permit paper from the city.

bigjkt405
04-11-2008, 03:21 PM
During the carriage tour last sunday, the operator said that building was not structurally sound for residential living....... Just what I heard last Sunday....

betts
04-11-2008, 05:32 PM
On the other hand, you've got the Triangle right behind Bricktown to satisfy housing needs of people wanting to live near Bricktown, so it's not a huge problem. Sounds like there are new Triangle project/s in the works, so the population of near Bricktown is going to continue to grow.

amylynn5656
04-12-2008, 09:01 AM
I like the idea this will be apartments rather than condos.

All the development in and around Bricktown recently has been too exspensive for lots of people.

Agreed. Many of the developments are too expensive for the clientele they are trying to attract.

OKCMallen
04-12-2008, 01:00 PM
On the other side of the coin, you gotta extend yourself to grow. Higher costs are a necessary evil. I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I bought my first $6 beer at a Hornets game. Guess how many I will buy when our team gets here,....

(the answer- LOTS!)

metro
06-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Work set to begin on Bricktown building next week
Daily Oklahoman

Interior demolition is just about complete at the former Stanford Furniture building in Bricktown, and developer Chuck Ainsworth reports construction is set to begin next week.

The building, 1 E Sheridan, was last home to the Bunte Candy Factory. After initially considering a mix of housing, offices and retail for the renamed "Candy Factory,” all but two floors are leased to office tenants, Ainsworth said.

Ainsworth said a loft may still be built on the top floor.

Ainsworth said he hopes the $9 million project will be complete by December.

From Staff Reports

Pete
06-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Glad to see this go forward and that they have a lot of space pre-leased (to who I wonder?) but disappointing about the housing.

So many of those multi-story buildings in Bricktown -- most with some sort of restaurant in the bottom -- would make great loft developments. Why is no on pursuing this give the demand for places like the Centennial?

metro
06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
vision, in Bricktown? that's heresy

jbrown84
06-04-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm surprised that they have so much pre-leased.

metro
06-05-2008, 07:43 AM
I'm not, I imagine with a new remodel, it will be Class A office space. There is a pent up demand for blocks of Class A space downtown. I imagine some smaller to mid sized company's like the feel of Bricktown and it's convenience to food and recreation for their employees.

metro
01-22-2010, 08:47 AM
New update in today's Journal Record. Can someone with full access please post article, here is the teaser.

Banking on Bricktown Square: Marketing firm touts assets of properties
By Tom Lindley
The Journal Record
Posted: 09:23 PM Thursday, January 21, 2010
OKLAHOMA CITY – The building blocks are falling in place in Bricktown Square, which is a whole block all its own. Bricktown LLC purchased the entire square block, which was once home to the Bunte Candy Factory, in 2005 for $10.6 million. The investment group’s principal owners are Steve Hudiburg, Kent Ledbetter and Jeff Moore. With the ...

warreng88
01-22-2010, 03:49 PM
New update in today's Journal Record. Can someone with full access please post article, here is the teaser.

Here you go:

Banking on Bricktown Square: Marketing firm touts assets of properties
By Tom Lindley
The Journal Record
Posted: 09:23 PM Thursday, January 21, 2010

OKLAHOMA CITY – The building blocks are falling in place in Bricktown Square, which is a whole block all its own.

Bricktown LLC purchased the entire square block, which was once home to the Bunte Candy Factory, in 2005 for $10.6 million. The investment group’s principal owners are Steve Hudiburg, Kent Ledbetter and Jeff Moore.

With the two popular tenants Abuelo’s restaurant and the Bricktown Brewery already in place, the owners leased space to Brix Restaurant and Sports Lounge and spun off two buildings. The Candy Factory building on the west end of the block is being developed by Chuck Ainsworth, while a separate structure now houses the American Banjo Museum.

Although much of the space is taken up by much coveted surface parking, a whole block is a big pie to cut up, which is where the marketing arm of Grubb & Ellis/Levy Beffort of Oklahoma City comes in.

It’s their job is to complete the picture by marketing two properties containing about 15,000 square feet on Main Street and repositioning them as either office or retail space. Another 14,000 square feet of space is for sale or lease on two floors above Brix.

“This is a tremendous value in terms of having parking for restaurants and other facilities we are trying to market,” said Mark Beffort, Grubb & Ellis/Levy Beffort managing director.

Bricktown Association Executive Director Jim Cowan said Bricktown Square is a unique piece of property that has several things going for it, including its proximity to the Central Business District and good timing.

”Since MAPS 3 has passed, interest in space in Bricktown has increased dramatically,” Cowan said. “People aren’t thinking this (recession) is going to last forever.”

Even if MAPS 3 won’t directly impact Bricktown, Cowan said that $900 million in downtown improvements, a number that includes construction costs of the new Devon tower, also will benefit Bricktown.

As a former owner of the Bricktown Brewery, Cowan admits to having a soft spot for the block and the stories it has to tell.

“A rail spur once ran where the parking lot is now,” Cowan said. “I remember when the Brewery first opened, the McClains, who owned the candy factory, still had their sugar come in by rail car.”

Aside from its sweet history and prime location, Beffort said Bricktown Square has other unique aspects that will make its transformation easier to complete: The two buildings at 14 and 26 E. Main offer a certain walk-in wow factor, parking is plentiful and the neighbors have a proven record of success.

“That’s testimony to this city block … Abuelo’s and Bricktown Brewery have been there quite some time,” Beffort said. “And now we have two other facilities off Main Street to reposition with office or retail.”

He said both buildings possess the kind of historical character that makes Bricktown unique and that both could be turned into office space or destination retail, whether it’s a restaurant or entertainment venue.

Both buildings are empty, as are two floors above Brix, which could be converted into residential or office lofts.

The one-story building at 14 E. Main has 5,000 square feet, a high ceiling and brickwork. The two-story at 26 E. Main contains 10,000 square feet and similar features.

Beffort said his goal is to find the right users for the vacant space, whether it’s through a lease or purchase.

Rental rates will depend on the credit of the tenant and how much the owners have to spend on the space, Beffort said.

The property will be marketed by retail advisers Louis Almaraz, Michael Almaraz and office adviser Tre Dupuy.

Banking on Bricktown Square: Marketing firm touts assets of properties (http://journalrecord.com/2010/01/21/banking-on-bricktown-square-real-estate/)

jbrown84
01-27-2010, 06:03 PM
The Sherman Iron Works Building is a gem.