View Full Version : Team names

mranderson
02-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Should sports franchises be required to retire the name and colors of the team when they move? And why? Plus, if the Sonics are required to retire the name and colors when they move to Oklahoma City, what name and colors would you choose? And why?

NE Oasis
02-02-2007, 11:24 AM
It appears you have been reading the Oklahoman. I believe this should be on a case by case basis, determined by the league commisioner with input from the city losing the franchise. In the case of the Sonics the franchise does has a long history in Seattle, and the only OKC Sonic connection has to be with burgers and tots, "cute" and ironic but not very professional. I don't really care about team colors, my name vote would be Okahoma Dream. Naming after state instead of city has a precedent (Utah Jazz) and a professional basketball team of our own has been a dream for a while.

Easy180
02-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Introducing.....

Oklahoma Dudes Who Can Dribble Shoot and Pass

Tough to get that all on a jersey I know but very descriptive :tiphat:

Martin
02-02-2007, 12:01 PM
motion seconded. -M

http://members.cox.net/magnvs/pics/dudes.jpg

Easy180
02-02-2007, 12:20 PM
motion seconded. -M

http://members.cox.net/magnvs/pics/dudes.jpg

Does look better than I thought...Thanks mmm :kewlpic:

traxx
02-02-2007, 02:45 PM
my name vote would be Okahoma Dream. Naming after state instead of city has a precedent (Utah Jazz) and a professional basketball team of our own has been a dream for a while.

Not trying to make fun of your idea, but to me Oklahoma Dream sounds like a Pro Soccer name. That's just my opinion.

John
02-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Whatever team we get will be the Oklahoma City "_____"

Nixon7
02-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Keep the Sonics name and colors if at all possible. I am scared to think of what cheesy name OKC would come up with.

Saberman
02-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Oklahoma and Oklahoma City have had a long history in aviation, so Sonic's is not out of the question. I just don't think they will want to let that go, also if we kept the name, any banners or titles would come with it, at least that's the way the NFL did it, i.e. the Colts.

Might be better to start fresh. Seems just about anything associated with the state has been used, Plainsmen, Bandit, Frontiersmen. Tornado's maybe.

This might take some thought.

Nixon7
02-03-2007, 05:39 PM
I just know we are going to get stuck with OKC Wranglers. Or OKC Rustlers.

JIMBO
02-04-2007, 01:32 PM
How about the Oklahoma City AEROWS? Both aviation and indian references.

JIMBO
02-04-2007, 01:53 PM
If the team really sucks, we can change the name to the Oklahoma City ERRORS.

NE Oasis
02-05-2007, 10:40 AM
I got it-
Oklahoma is known for flat land and wind :

The Oklahoma City Flatulence