View Full Version : Accidents Today?

Karried
01-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Man! I hate driving in this icy stuff! I ventured out for the first time today to try to drive on the ice ( I never like to drive in this weather). I just didn't feel very safe ... it didn't help that I saw two cars off the side of the road, both had jumped the curbs, hit a fence and were facing the wrong direction.

Even with anti-lock and traction control, my Lincoln Navigator was slipping and sliding a little bit until I got to the main roads. Not a good feeling!

It's just not worth it to me to get out and drive unless it's a necessity. I've never had an accident, this would be the time when I would. I carry a high deductible to save on insurance so if some uninsured fool hits me, I still will have to pay and I don't want to do that.

I was just watching the news and saw many cars that had wrecked. So sad.. people just need to slow down and be careful.

How many accidents have you seen today?

Easy180
01-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Took me around an hour and 20 minutes to get from NW Expressway to 19th in Moore...Fun stuff

Saw at least 10 cars facing the wrong way on I-44 headed home...Wish it would just snow and make it easier on us!

windowphobe
01-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Didn't see anything this afternoon, though traffic was moving slowly. Then again, I stayed on the surface streets, which are generally less likely to ice up in a hurry.

There's a block-long lane closing along NW 23rd westbound between Walker and Shartel, which didn't help matters any.

MadMonk
01-31-2007, 10:46 PM
I was out after 5:00 today on Hefner from Penn to Council. No problems whatsoever. I never saw any accidents either. In fact, you could barely tell there was any snow earlier. It must have really been light on the northwest side. :kicking:

Keith
02-01-2007, 05:16 AM
I was out after 5:00 today on Hefner from Penn to Council. No problems whatsoever. I never saw any accidents either. In fact, you could barely tell there was any snow earlier. It must have really been light on the northwest side. :kicking:
I stayed on the city streets when I left my office at 3 PM yesterday, and I had no problems at all. I drove from NW to NE OKC, and then to SW OKC, and didn't have any problems. I never saw an accident. As a matter of fact, I took a van load of students to a church conference last night, and I had no problems.

Yes, there were slick spots in certain areas, but IMHO, the media sensationlized this once again, and scared everyone. Heck, at 8 PM last night, there were several Sonics that were already closed. My biggest problem was pulling into my driveway last night.

BailJumper
02-01-2007, 06:31 AM
the media sensationlized this once again

I think when you have OHP reporting 105+ accidents from 11am-3pm it is cause for alarm.

While I think they jump overboard alot, many drivers needed a reminder. The problem is that the ones watching the news were already home and off the roads. I'd like to see more highway signs that can flash "BLACK ICE - SLOW DOWN OR DIE"

Easy180
02-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Sensationalized some yes, but I saw at least 10 smashed cars off the side of the road coming home from work last night

Mostly trucks and SUV's...Wonder if these people think their car based SUV's perform like Hummers on this stuff?....Well many got their answers y-day unfortunately

Karried
02-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Yeah I agree... yesterday my 13 year old (the one who recently and miraculously grew an encyclopedia in his maturing brain making him believe he is the knower of all things in this world :-) decides to laughingly mock my driving skills in the ice because I was afraid to drive .. 'oh mom!' it's not bad, you can go faster, speed up.. 'you're slowing traffic' 'grannies are going faster' on and on...

And then we come across the two cars inpaled onto the fencing facing backwards, all dented up and stuck .. it shut him up really quickly..

wanna know how many times I said ' I told you so!!?'

countless.... ha,ha

Lauri101
02-02-2007, 04:16 PM
I drove from Tulsa back to OKC yesterday - "only" took 3 1/2 hours.

The worst part was being passed by semis going a breakneck speed and splashing mud/slush on my windshield. That, coupled with blowing snow and wipers that got too icy, made for a grip-the-wheel 120 mile drive!