View Full Version : Town Center

Pages : [1] 2 3

bombermwc
01-30-2007, 07:20 AM
No MWC board would be complete without a discussion about 29th street.

I noticed that Best Buy is definitely there now. You can see the shape on the front coming together to make out that weird sort of angled wall thing they use.

Lauri101
01-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Other than the rumored hotel/motel on Mid-America, I couldn't be more thrilled about the way 29th street is shaping up. They've got a long way to go on landscaping and beautification projects, but it's looking good!

The Barnes and Noble deal fell through, because B&N wanted free rent for 5 years, so my hope and dream of a bookstore in EOC are on hold. Too bad the larger bookstores don't realize that we read out here also!

By summer, I can stroll from my house to the courtyard and park, if all goes well.

bombermwc
01-31-2007, 07:25 AM
Suck0, I hadn't heard that. That really stinks...maybe they could get a Borders or someone else (not walden's please). Maybe get the first chain location for Full Circle...haha.

Lauri101
01-31-2007, 02:42 PM
...maybe they could get a Borders or someone else (not walden's please). Maybe get the first chain location for Full Circle...haha.

From your lips to the book god's ears!:bow:

billinvegas
02-02-2007, 01:34 AM
Wow,

it's been about 10 years since I've been in the MWC / OKC area (born and raised in MWC)

the news about the development on 29th is intriguing, not much there when I left some time back...

is there anyplace I can go (on the net) to see any current photos of the area?

thx

Bill

bombermwc
02-02-2007, 08:18 AM
about as good as you can get is the city's chamber site. Welcome to the Midwest City Chamber of Commerce Website! (http://www.midwestcityok.com) go to economic development and then Town Center. They are keeping most information from the public so you can't see much.

I would say it's worth the drive out to see it because it completely changes the face of MWC on I-40.

Lauri101
02-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't know why MWC is keeping this so hidden, but when I "googled" it, the site above is about it. Since the "site plan" only gives parcels without business names, it really is hard to conceptualize without looking at it.

The MWC Sun has published several architect drawings showing the landscaping planned. There will be a walking trail, park and trees. Too bad they had to take out all the beautiful old trees that were there, but I guess it would have been too hard to put in the infrastructure and work around the trees. I did look on the Sun website, but the drawings aren't available in archives.

A bookstore is still on my wish list!

bombermwc
02-04-2007, 12:15 PM
I spent lots of cash down there this weekend and noticed that JC Penny has all of its walls now. It came up really fast!

They keep the stuff on the down low because that's what the businesses coming in want. They don't want to advertise and tell everyone that a certain business is coming in only to have it leave...like B&N. I say screws to B&N now....you know I have never eaten at Cracker Barrel again since they decided to leave MWC after the tornado. Hmm I must hold corporate grudges. :)

Lauri101
02-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Same here for CB - too funny!

B&N has never been my favorite anyway, so they'll be off my list for good.

I read something about Books-A-Million considering the area, but haven't heard anything lately.

I think some of the marketing folks for these big businesses are not looking at the demographics of eastern OK county. There are plenty of people who drive pass the 29th and Air Depot area daily who have college educations and steady jobs with disposable income!

bombermwc
02-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Yeah I had heard something about a books a million too. It's a good place, I'd love to have them. They are just like B&N or Borders...just another player. It's like Chili's Applebees, TGIF, etc....just a different twist on the same theme.

I bought a few cookbooks at one in St. Louis last year.

soonerfaithful
02-10-2007, 10:45 PM
I am so looking forward to the Chick Fil-A that is going in on 29th. I never go to Heritage anymore so to have a Chick Fil-A so close to my house I'm counting down.
We're also hoping about a bookstore over there somewhere. Since Waldenbooks is closing in the mall that leaves us with nothing. I'm joining the rest of you in hoping that it will happen.

bombermwc
02-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm excited about Chik-Fil-A too. It's so much nicer not having to go in a mall to go in one. I haven't been to one in years because I hardly ever go in malls anymore...especially Heritage. I'm been to the free standing Chik-Fil-A's before and really like it a lot better. You get th emore updated look and the convenience of being able to walk right in just like every other place. Plus they save a LOT on rent.

One more thing that kills Heritage piece by piece.

soonerfaithful
03-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Did anyone read the article in Saturday's business section of the Oklahoman?

Still no mention of a bookstore.:fighting3

Lauri101
03-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Did anyone read the article in Saturday's business section of the Oklahoman?

User Registration (http://newsok.com/article/3030925)
Still no mention of a bookstore.:fighting3

I saw it - so far, it doesn't appear we'll have one.

Maybe, after Hastings got so little business, they think we don't read in EOC.

On the bright side, Town Center is coming along very nicely!

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
03-24-2007, 11:41 PM
I think it is time for MWC to become a college town.

If I were official with MWC, I would convince Rose State to become a full-fledged four-year college with student dorms on site. The school could cater to the students who could not afford schools like OU and OSU but had reasonable grades and test scores. The campus would only have to grow by 20 or 30%. Not to mention it would get rid of some of the eyesore businesses along I-40.

The Edmond businesses around UCO do fairly well. I would like to believe MWC would be able to pull off the same thing.

In the end, you would have more college graduates in Oklahoma. MWC would see more money in the form of retail and hotels. Parents from all over central Oklahoma would eat it up because; they could send their kid to a good school at an affordable price and still keep an eye on them.

Make Rose State a full-fledged college and you will get your Barnes and Noble in a heartbeat.

SpectralMourning
03-29-2007, 08:57 PM
I am loving this development. As a current student at RSC for now, I keep screwing around in the Town Center on my really long break. It's just enjoyable with a nice atmosphere.

I had the same thought of RSC becoming a four-year institution but I'm not sure if they have the money for it. I'm sure if they had the capability, they'd ED the surrounding neighborhoods and build on from there. Either way MWC has extreme potential to create quite a metro "powerhouse" through that triangle of the Town Center, RSC, and Tinker AFB. I suppose you could count Reno as well.

bombermwc
03-30-2007, 08:14 AM
I think that's really up to the state whether or not they move to 4 year. I think it currectly serves a wonderful purpose and is a really great academic institution. If you do turn 4 year, there are many things that become much more complicated and I don't know that the school would remain as flexible as it is now. Becoming 4 years means a whole other bag of rules and junk....and a lot more $$$...ie higher tuition.

soonerfaithful
04-01-2007, 09:30 PM
There has been talk for years about turning Rose into a 4 year school. It's always been decided against.
I think the two year is perfect. We don't have many 2 year colleges left. It helps a group of people that might not be able to go to college otherwise.

bombermwc
04-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Agreed. I think it serves it's purpose amazingly well. Students get opportunities they don't get in 4 year institutions because of the more relaxed atmosphere of "majors" or whatever, and they get an excellent education from the talented instructors. Maybe a lot of people don't realize how many professors at Rose and OCCC are either part-timing from their jobs at other universities or are retired from those places. Or, that the other professors are just down right good teachers. I took a few classes there while I was in college, and I was just as happy with the education I received in my Rose classes as I was at my own college.

traemac
04-12-2007, 10:02 PM
does anyone know the new restaurant they are building next to old chicago?

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
04-13-2007, 12:17 AM
There has been talk for years about turning Rose into a 4 year school. It's always been decided against.
I think the two year is perfect. We don't have many 2 year colleges left. It helps a group of people that might not be able to go to college otherwise.

They could still offer the two year degrees. The two degree students could even live on campus. I was just stating that adding a full fledged university would help MWC grow their economy.

I think you get that relaxed atmosphere at most of the smaller schools. I am attending classes at OSU-OKC. Some my classmates are also students at SWOSU. They tell me SWOSU Profressors and the overall atmoshpere of the school is just like OSU-OKC.

I like the small schools because you have professors that are working in your feild of study that can relate recent real world expierence. The professors are not people who have been out of the loop for 10 or 20 years like you would find at OU and in OSU-Stillwater.

OSU-OKC is already offering 4 year programs in several areas.

foodiefan
04-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Hmmm. . .opening a can of worms?? How can I say this tactfully. . . "Higher Ed" is (supposed to be??) an elevated learning experience, not an "economic engine."

Stop and count how many higher ed public and private opportunities there are in the metro area. . .Rose, OCCC, Oklahoma Christian, OSU-OKC, SNU, OCU, UCO, OU, plus numerous comercial/smaller schools not mentioned and Stillwater is not that far away!! Also, the "off-site" classes that are offered by many schools.

Perhaps it's time we stop "expanding" and start seriously supporting the institutions that already exist and quit looking for one on every street corner (like McDonald's. . . I really don't think that is quality of education we're seeking. . . )

jbrown84
04-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Stop and count how many higher ed public and private opportunities there are in the metro area. . .Rose, OCCC, Oklahoma Christian, OSU-OKC, SNU, OCU, UCO, OU, plus

OBU, OBU-OKC...

Is the Penney's only going to be 1 floor?

bombermwc
04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
You know, I can't tell about Penny's. I thought surely it would be 2 because of the size of the building. With the walls up, I can't see anything inside to tell. I think I remember seeing a second floor going in before the front wall went up though. I can't imagine any other reason why they would have put up those gurders midhigh with that metal flashing...like to pour conrete on top of.

If they are convering that building in Moore to a Penny's surely that would be a 2-level as well right? I think it was a hardware store before....that old company that went bankrupt....can't remember the name. Not Builder's Square...more local...something Central in the name for the one in Edmond...argh!

jbrown84
04-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Is the Penney's what is going in behind Old Chicago next to Best Buy? It sure looked one story if that's it.

bombermwc
04-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Yes, that's the location. I also saw the other day that something is going in next to Lowe's. Any idea....crossing fingers for the Books a Million.

Lauri101
04-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Yes, that's the location. I also saw the other day that something is going in next to Lowe's. Any idea....crossing fingers for the Books a Million.

Not sure which is going where, but one store is a Best Buy, one the Penney's and one is a women's dress store of some kind.

According to a friend I have on the planning commission, no bookstore, yet. :(

bombermwc
04-18-2007, 09:14 AM
So the one to the west of Best Buy is more women's clothing?? What a waste of space since there are now going to be clothing stores all across the back of the center. That's a crock....we need that freaking book store dangit.

soonerfaithful
05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
They finally put up the sign at the building that is going to be in front of Best Buy. Logan's Roadhouse. Isn't that a steak place? I've heard of it but never been to one.

cad_poke
05-02-2007, 07:27 PM
If you have been to a Santa Fe Cattle Company or a Texas Roadhouse, you've been to a Logan's. There's not much difference in the three if you ask me.

Millie
05-02-2007, 07:59 PM
There used to be a Logan's in Edmond. Nothing too special- it was virtually the same as a Santa Fe Cattle Co.

traemac
05-02-2007, 07:59 PM
they use to be here a few years ago then switched to santa fe steakhouse, they are pretty much the same thing

Lauri101
05-03-2007, 02:40 AM
We eat at Santa Fe alot - the food is good, as is the service. I asked the manager recently if he thought Logan's would hurt his business. He said he didn't think so, as "the customer demographics were different".

I think two steakhouses within 1/4 mile is a bit overkill, but who knows?

bombermwc
05-03-2007, 01:19 PM
As I understood it, Logan's is supposed to be nicer....no peanuts on the floor and a little pricier.

Anyway, still trying to find out what is going in next to Lowes.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
05-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Logan's is the exact same concept as Santa Fe. The old Santa Fe on Meridian (The old site of Molly Murphy's) was originally built as a Logan's Roadhouse.

I have ate at Logan's often when I lived in Baton Rouge. It is the exact same animal as Santa Fe. The only difference is they have better menu selection and the steaks are better.

Logan's Roadhouse (http://www.logansroadhouse.com/)

traemac
05-03-2007, 10:14 PM
there is a panda express opening in july somewhere in town center

ourulz2000
05-06-2007, 06:43 PM
This cracks me up. Of course there are peanuts on the floor at Logans. And it's not "pricey". You can get a steak for 10 bucks. I live in Ft. Worth, so I go to the one in Hurst all the time. I like it better than Texas Roadhouse though, it's not as much of a 'party atmosphere'.

kevinpate
05-06-2007, 07:45 PM
peanuts on the floor are fine ... peanuts help keep your shoes up and out of the mix of spilled soda tea and beer.

bombermwc
06-04-2007, 02:37 PM
I went to the new Best Buy yesterday. I have to say that I was saddened to see that it's one of the smaller stores. It's the same size as the one on N. May. They haven't had time to weed out all the idiot employees in the PC department yet. WOW...now there are some people that need training.

For some reason, they really cut back on the movie selection though too. I was especially sad to not see the bins of bargin movies. I can usually find a lot of old movies that have been converted to DVD in there. I went to Target down the road and found "The Day the Earth Stood Still", which is the type of thing I usually find at the 240 Best Buy.

Anyway, I'm glad to see it there though....i see much cash being spent there.

Also, if you get the MWC Sun, then you saw Penny's will be opening in July and Petsmart and a bunch of other places will open soon. I can't remember all the names, but I remember one being a cosmetics store and some other big name place. Also Chick-Fil-A is at least officially announced now.

jbrown84
06-04-2007, 02:48 PM
I've noticed that the Best Buy by Quail Springs is like half the size of the one at 63rd, and has like half the movie selection.

Are you saying that the one at 63rd and May is a small version?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-05-2007, 04:19 AM
I've noticed that the Best Buy by Quail Springs is like half the size of the one at 63rd, and has like half the movie selection.

Are you saying that the one at 63rd and May is a small version?

Compared to the Crossroads location? I think so.

I'm still waiting for one of their "Magnolia" stores to open.

And people go to Best Buy with PC questions?:ohno:

bombermwc
06-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Yes, I consider the one on May a small location....im spoiled and used to the 240 location :)

I'm also waiting for the magnificent new Magnolia store!!! I head Memorial road for the OKC location.

Well the staff was energetic...introduced themselves (albeit like a used car salesman...asking the customer name and shaking hands and junk). Personally, I didn't have any questions since computers are what I do for a living, but I have a friend that spent a very frustrating hour with 5 different salesmen trying to find out how much memory was built on the laptop video cards. Most didn't even know what that was!!!

Lauri101
06-28-2007, 03:39 PM

It's a PetSmart - the sign is finally up.
Shows opening in Fall 2007.

The Penney's looks like it should open soon - I noticed activity in and around.

If it would only stop raining, I could go walk around and explore

SuperScooper
06-28-2007, 07:07 PM
I think JcPenney is shooting for a mid July opening on both of the new stores. Just in time for the back to school season.

bombermwc
07-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Yes Penny's is opening in July...they asked for the MCHS band to play at the opening...since school is out, we are going to send the drumline up there since they've been practicing all summer anyway. It's weird...not sure how exciting it will be.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-08-2007, 05:41 AM
Yes, I consider the one on May a small location....im spoiled and used to the 240 location :)

I'm also waiting for the magnificent new Magnolia store!!! I head Memorial road for the OKC location.

I was told Yukon.

WTF?

bombermwc
07-08-2007, 07:48 AM
I've never heard Yukon from anyone on that.....and Yukon would make absolutely no sense whatsoever for that store. Memorial is right in the middle of the folks that would frequent the place, while Yukon is a pretty good trek for everyone not in Yukon.

Remember these places are going to have procucts that start in the high end of the price range that BB currently has. We're talking intense home theaters, brands of TV's you don't see right now, etc.

Yukon...uh no.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-08-2007, 08:10 AM
That's what I was thinking. YUKON?

But it was a manager-type in the N. May store that told me. SO...He's a BB employee...They don't normally know WTF they're talking about.

bombermwc
07-09-2007, 08:13 AM
They don't normally know WTF they're talking about.

Yeah no kidding. Not to mention that I'd get better help from the carpet than from the people that work there. I'm sorry, but the kids that work there don't know anything about anything. The TV folks are usually pretty good, but the PC, cameras, etc.....please.

soonerfaithful
07-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Any idea on what day Penney's will open? Each day I go by there on my way to work. With all the employees coming and going it shouldn't be much longer I hope.

Lauri101
07-20-2007, 05:52 PM
I saw something in the Daily Disappointment about August 5. Originally, it was to be late July, so I guess they are still gathering the forces!

I'll be out of town that week, so hopefully the opening kinks will be worked out when I get back.

soonerliberal
07-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Both JCPenney Town Center Plaza and JCPenney Shops @ Moore will have their Grand Opening August 3 at 9:00am. The Crossroads store closes either today or tomorrow, according to advertising within the store.

amandagall5
08-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Does anyone know what the new building is between Steak n" Shake and Starbucks? Also I see that ground is being cleared in front of Marshalls, any idea what that might be?

Lauri101
08-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I went to the JC Penney Town Center store today - what a crowd! With the tax-free weekend, there were a lot of people and kids.

The staff was present and available to guide customers to the various areas. Check out lines were fully manned and moved quickly. The store was clean and seemed to have a good variety for the size.

Overall, for the first day of business, they did well!

Luke
08-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Curious what those new buildings will be too...

traemac
08-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Curious what those new buildings will be too...

panda express is going in between steak and shake and starbucks

soonerfaithful
08-05-2007, 10:17 PM
I went to the JC Penney Town Center store today - what a crowd! With the tax-free weekend, there were a lot of people and kids.

The staff was present and available to guide customers to the various areas. Check out lines were fully manned and moved quickly. The store was clean and seemed to have a good variety for the size.

Overall, for the first day of business, they did well!

Actually Penny's first day was on the 30th. I always loved the one at Crossroads and the large selection of clothes they had. Since this store is smaller not quite as big a selection.
I'm glad to hear the service was good. It wasn't the day we went but then they had only been open 2 days. I kept telling my daughter to give them time they were still new employees.
I'm just happy we have one back in MWC again.

bombermwc
08-06-2007, 09:53 AM
I was down there on Saturday......WHEW!!! Between the tax free day and Penny's being open, 29th was CRAZY!!! I had to park out near 29th to get in Target!!!

amandagall5
08-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I drove by Kohls today, the sign on the ground being cleared in front says Chick -Fil- A.

Lauri101
08-19-2007, 03:04 PM
I drove by Kohls today, the sign on the ground being cleared in front says Chick -Fil- A.

Yay - finally! thanks for info