View Full Version : It's about time we had an actual representative.

AFCM
01-25-2007, 09:17 PM
An Oklahoma lawmaker is proposing a cut in pay for state legislators. I like the idea. I'm a little short for time, but I'll post my thoughts on the issue later.

User Registration (http://newsok.com/article/3004017/)

mranderson
01-26-2007, 04:22 AM
An Oklahoma lawmaker is proposing a cut in pay for state legislators. I like the idea. I'm a little short for time, but I'll post my thoughts on the issue later.

Legislators deserve they pay they earn. It gives a lot of them time to be full time legislators instead of part time, similar to the city council. I will not vote in favor of this guys bill. Of course, I doubt I need to worry. I do not see it passing.

Easy180
01-26-2007, 07:19 AM

Publicity stunt for this kid.....Knew absolutely nothing would come of this proposal

Like how he just somehow threw in his large donation to an anti abortion ministry like that had to do anything with the paycut proposal...Saw right thru that one

BDP
01-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Murphey conceded his plan may limit the number of people who may want to serve in the Legislature, possibly increasing the number of retired persons with high incomes who tend to be Republicans.

"That's not necessarily a bad thing," he said at a new conference.

What!?

That's a large part of the problem now. So many of our legislators are so old they don't care about the future, they just care about getting paid and protecting their status quo. I don't think we want lawmaking to be a retirement hobby.

CuatrodeMayo
01-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Publicity stunt for this kid.....Knew absolutely nothing would come of this proposal

Like how he just somehow threw in his large donation to an anti abortion ministry like that had to do anything with the paycut proposal...Saw right thru that one

Call it what you want, but he is the real deal. In regards to government philosophy, he is cut from the same cloth as Tom Coburn. Check his record (http://www.housedistrict31.com/).

jbrown84
01-26-2007, 08:42 AM
In regards to government philosophy, he is cut from the same cloth as Tom Coburn.

That's very, very scary.

soonerguru
01-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Cut in the mold of Coburn? Yikes! We can only handle one of those.

I would love to see this little snot-nosed kid propose something that will substantively improve our state. Proposing a stupid bill like this that will not pass to score easy political points with the local knownothings ain't gettin' it done.

Centerback
01-26-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm still surprised this kid beat Dale Depue.

My guess is that if he authors any more useless bills like this one, they'll duct tape him and stuff him in his locker.

metro
01-26-2007, 04:09 PM
That's very, very scary.

No kidding, I'm a conservative but we don't need any Coburns, let alone the one we have. I wonder if he got a new Crossword Puzzle book for Christmas?

jbrown84
01-26-2007, 04:13 PM
No kidding, I'm a conservative but we don't need any Coburns, let alone the one we have. I wonder if he got a new Crossword Puzzle book for Christmas?

hahahaha

totally agree

dismayed
01-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Don't Oklahoma lawmakers only work 3 months of the year anyway? It's extremely short whatever it is.

mranderson
01-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Don't Oklahoma lawmakers only work 3 months of the year anyway? It's extremely short whatever it is.

The session is February to June, every year. Which is WAY too short as it is. However, being a legislator is a full time job. You have fund raising, keeping in touch with constituants, research for bills and other matters, etc.

CuatrodeMayo
01-27-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm still surprised this kid beat Dale Depue.

My guess is that if he authors any more useless bills like this one, they'll duct tape him and stuff him in his locker.

Don't give Murphey too much credit. Dale Depue had a serious lack of ethics, and it cost him his seat.

Patrick
01-27-2007, 03:43 PM
If Brad Carson would've smiled once, instead of looking like a robot, we wouldn't have to worry about Coburn today.

jbrown84
01-27-2007, 04:08 PM
How old is this guy?

jbrown84
01-27-2007, 04:09 PM
If Brad Carson would've smiled once, instead of looking like a robot, we wouldn't have to worry about Coburn today.

Haha. Or if Kirk Humphreys wouldn't have engaged in a shady deal with Bass Pro.