View Full Version : Pioneer Woman Picked!

Karried
01-25-2007, 04:23 PM
wwwhooooooooooo hoooooooooooo!!

Yippee - I'm so excited about this.. I decided to give it it's own thread!

‘Pioneer Woman' design picked by panel for quarter

By Chris Casteel
Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON — Chalk one up for the "Pioneer Woman.”

After being roundly rejected by the U.S. Commission on Fine Arts last week, the Pioneer Woman got some love this week from a special committee making recommendations for states' commemorative quarters.

The Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee recommended Oklahoma's quarter, to be released next year, bear a design showing the state's outline, an Indian "peace pipe” and the "Pioneer Woman,” a statue in Ponca City of a woman and child that honors the state's early homesteaders.

Gov. Brad Henry's office sent five design proposals to Washington for the state's commemorative quarter, and all five now will be sent to the U.S. Treasury secretary, with the recommendations of the Fine Arts Commission and the coinage advisory committee.

Not sure if they got our letter but who knows?? It may have helped!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Who can post a pic of the chosen design?

AFCM
01-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Although I haven't seen a picture of the proposed design, I'm sure it's better than what was thought up previously. I hope they do this right. We only have one quarter and no second chance.

metro
01-25-2007, 07:14 PM
BOO, I think they need to scrap all the final designs. : (

Patrick
01-29-2007, 04:36 PM
They need to put a big fat picture of Ernest Istook on the quarter.

writerranger
01-29-2007, 04:43 PM

????

------------------------

writerranger
01-29-2007, 04:44 PM
BOO, I think they need to scrap all the final designs. : (

I'm with you Metro, I didn't find any of the designs very compelling.

----------------

windowphobe
01-29-2007, 05:37 PM

And then you won't be able to spend it in Oklahoma.

writerranger
01-29-2007, 05:45 PM
And then you won't be able to spend it in Oklahoma.

Now THAT'S funny! Actually, that coin could only be spent in Utah.

-----------

jbrown84
01-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Actually, that coin could only be spent in Utah.

As your Salt Lake City light rail fare.

zuluwarrior0760
01-30-2007, 02:30 AM
Anything's better than a bird and a flower......

When I saw that, I was like:

soooo, this is it folks?
good as it gets?

bombermwc
01-30-2007, 07:23 AM
All the designs sucked.

Karried
01-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Yeah, me too, but then I said to myself.. "well, what did I expect? I didn't submit anything or contribute to any design - too late now"

So, in an effort to salvage something, we all are trying to push for the Pioneer Woman because it's too late for anything else so we might as well do what we can do to influence the choice.

Stinger
01-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Is this the winner? Not bad, but I still think an oil well and a cowboy drinking campagne out of a cowboy boot would have been cool.
http://www.quarterdesigns.com/proposed/oklahoma/coin_04.jpg

Karried
01-30-2007, 11:07 AM
LOL - that would have been cool...

mranderson
01-30-2007, 11:14 AM
I do not like the peace pipe because it is too Cowboy and Indian which still makes Oklahoma look like an uncivilized trailer trash state. The Pioneer Woman, however, is a symbol, if not THE symbol of the pioneering spirit of the state.

jbrown84
01-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Is this the winner?[/IMG]

Not the final winner, just the selection of one of nine commitees that vote on this...

Karried
01-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I do not like the peace pipe because it is too Cowboy and Indian which still makes Oklahoma look like an uncivilized trailer trash state.

Oh MY GOD.

What the heck does a peace pipe utilized by the state's native American Indians have anything to do with 'uncivilized trailor trash'? wth?

Cowboys and Indians don't evoke images of trailor trash.. it's the bigots and poverty and maybe meth freaks, but never do I associate an Indian peace pipe with a trailor park. That is insulting and very degrading to those of us who have any native American heritage in our families.

"The Native American peace pipe is also known as a calumet or a medicine pipe. This ceremonial smoking pipe is common among the Native American tribes and is a traditional token of peace. During this sacred ceremony, a prayer would be addressed to each of the four directions as well as the earth and the sky who were considered as mother and father, respectively. The pipe would be filled with tobacco as the prayer was being said and then a little tobacco would be sprinkled on the ground. The pipe is then smoked and passed around in a circle. Most participants do not inhale the smoke and non-smokers just hold the pipe awhile and then pass it."

"trailer trash-

Derogatory description for person who seems well- suited to residential life in a mobile home park and is distinguished by poor hygiene, foul language, slovenly or slutty clothing, and general ignorance. Recreations include drinking malt liquor in lawn chairs under tattered R.V. awning and teenage pregnancy. Close synonymn for poor white trash. Can also be used as literal term for personal effects strewn by tornado when ripping though mobile home park.

Come on.... Google is really easy to use.

jbrown84
01-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Well said Karrie. There really should be some kind of Native American symbol on there.

It's pioneers and indians instead of cowboys and indians, which is more accurate anyway.

mranderson
01-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Well said Karrie. There really should be some kind of Native American symbol on there.

It's pioneers and indians instead of cowboys and indians, which is more accurate anyway.

Only in YOUR opinion. I will use the terms I CHOOSE to use, thank you.

jbrown84
01-30-2007, 12:54 PM

I'm talking about what's on the quarter, not correcting your semantics.

jbrown84
01-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Pioneer Woman + Peace Pipe = Pioneers and Indians

That's all I was saying.

traxx
01-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Is this the winner? Not bad, but I still think an oil well and a cowboy drinking campagne out of a cowboy boot would have been cool.
http://www.quarterdesigns.com/proposed/oklahoma/coin_04.jpg

That's one of the funnies things I've heard on these here boards. Heck, I might've even voted for that one. If Oklahoma gets made fun of I'd rather it be in a blaze of hysterical glory than in a spark of boredom. Someone needs to mock that up for us all to see in it's full glory and splendor.

Oh, and BTW Anderson. Why are all of your posts imflamatory or in an inflamatory tone? I think you've got a fued going with about every use on this board. You seem to always be able to tick off several people in each thread.

Stinger
01-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Someone needs to mock that up for us all to see in it's full glory and splendor.
If I had any kind of artistic ability, I would. I've had this image in my head since the day I saw the first drawings revealed. Gushing Oil Well + J.R. Ewing-looking guy + Champagne in a Cowboy Boot = I'd love to see it.

bombermwc
01-31-2007, 07:40 AM
see somewhere else I heard that a completely different design was chosen...one with a bird on it.

jbrown84
01-31-2007, 08:39 AM
see somewhere else I heard that a completely different design was chosen...one with a bird on it.

Not the final winner, just the selection of one of nine commitees that vote on this...

A different committee chose the one with the bird.

ETL
01-31-2007, 09:00 PM
It is better than what they had before.