View Full Version : The genius that is Wayne Coyne

Pages : [1] 2

Dave Cook
01-19-2007, 03:09 PM
For those that are more into the career of Wayne Coyne....a question...

Over the years of living overseas, there is one name that occasionally is mentioned when I tell Europeans, Aussies, etc, that I'm from Oklahoma City.

"Oklahoma City? Oh, Wayne Coyne lives there."

To be honest, I never had a clue who this Wayne Coyne actually was. Had to look him up and realized he was the guy from Flaming Lips. Of course, I had heard of the Flips.

Anyway, I was recently reading an article in Rolling Stone and it went into detail about his house off of NW 10th and the circumstances as to why they are still living there. Not exactly the best neighborhood and probably the last place you'd find a guy who headlines rock festivals in Europe.

Anyone else find it pretty amazing Coyne still remains dedicated to OKC? I mean, other 'big names' have up and left. Vince Gill? Where is he now? The only mega-star still living around that I can think of is Toby Keith and he has pretty much sold out to the point it's painful. The mansion, the restaurant, the Ford commercials.....oh well...free country.

My question is.....is this the only residence Coyne has? He doesn't have a place in LA? NYC? Just the $20,000 house in NW OKC?

soonerguru
01-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Wayne is super cool, and no, he doesn't have a place in another city.

I might add, however, that $20,000 house is a bit misleading. Yes, he and Michelle paid that much for it, but it was a HUD home and they bought it years ago in the middle of a ghetto.

It is actually a very cool place -- and quite big. It is extremely unique architecturally. It's actually a perfect fit for Wayne and Michelle.

BTW, Wayne's whole ethos is on doing it yourself, and he and his wife have put an awful lot of work into that place.

He is by far our city's coolest "famous" resident.

floater
01-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Wayne Coyne is the poster child for OKC's creative class. He is a terrific ambassador for OKC. Unlike other cities that use higher cultural institutions as their ambassadors, OKC's has some real street cred -- with the people that can change OKC's image the most.

ksearls
01-19-2007, 10:23 PM
word

TheImmortal
01-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Definatly. A buddy of mine and I actualy saw Coyne and Steve from blue's clue's(who is now a musician) at Home Depot. They were buying a materials to "build a spaceship in their backyard". Does not get much more creative than that haha.

jbrown84
01-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Good to see that he's the first thing Europeans think of when they hear OKC, not dustbowl or cornfields or even the Bombing.

Dave Cook
01-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Yeah, it's certainly surprising when you meet someone that knows more about your hometown than you do.

When I was teaching in Japan, a few female students told me Brad Pitt was from Oklahoma to which I responded that I doubted it as I had never heard that. You'd think Oklahoma would play up something like that.

Son of a gun, they were right.

traxx
01-23-2007, 02:20 PM
The only mega-star still living around that I can think of is Toby Keith and he has pretty much sold out to the point it's painful. The mansion, the restaurant, the Ford commercials.....oh well...free country.

Sold out? I don't understand. What's the knock on Toby other than I know alot of people on this board think he represents uneducated, white trash Oklahoma.

If you got a job that paid alot better or a promotion that more than doubled your income would you not buy a bigger home at some point? Restaurant and national commercials = sold out? What's wrong with diversifying your income? So when pro athletes start up restaurants or car dealerships etc., does that mean that they've sold out?

I happen to like some of the stuff the Lips do, especially their old 80s stuff, but I also like Toby's music. If you dislike his music that's one thing but using that dislike as an excuse to trash him as a person is a little overboard.

okcpulse
01-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Yeah, it's certainly surprising when you meet someone that knows more about your hometown than you do.

When I was teaching in Japan, a few female students told me Brad Pitt was from Oklahoma to which I responded that I doubted it as I had never heard that. You'd think Oklahoma would play up something like that.

Son of a gun, they were right.

Oklahoma publications do point out that Brad Pitt was born in Shawnee, Oklahoma. My soon-to-be printed OKC Vacation guide also lays claim to Brad Pritt's birthplace in Oklahoma. However, he was raised in Springfield, Missouri most of his life, and he is quick to point that out.

But here is a real coincidence. Brad Pitt graduated from Kickapoo High School in Springfield. Shawnee's main drag is Kickapoo.

okcpulse
01-23-2007, 03:24 PM
What really irks me is that when people discover that big names are living in Oklahoma City, they wonder what big names are doing living here. What's so wrong with that? Do they HAVE to own a place in L.A?

If I made it big, do I HAVE to own fifteen cars and have an apartment in New York? No.

BTW SweetNSourPoke, Vince Gill owns a home in Oklahoma. And another big name star we tend to forget about is Mat Hoffman, the guy who invented BMX and has been a star in several movies, including Jackass and Jackass II. He lives in far northwest OKC near the Lake Hefner area.

When I make it big I will be living in Oklahoma City.

jbrown84
01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
I thought Hoffman lived in Edmond.

jbrown84
01-23-2007, 03:56 PM
There was supposed to a reality show about John Paul Merritt opening Cafe Nova, but I guess it never got off the ground.

Dave Cook
01-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Traxx....

You bring up an excellent point. Perhaps I shouldn't have said 'sold out'.

It's just that I think Keith represents all that is wrong with modern-day country music. He's so packaged. I'm just not into it. But he does have the right to do whatever he desires with his money. It's free country. He certainly sings about it.

I just don't understand how celebrities need 15 bedrooms, 12 crappers, 53 cars, etc....in order to find happiness. Maybe it's just me.

jbrown84
01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
I just don't understand how celebrities need 15 bedrooms, 12 crappers, 53 cars, etc....in order to find happiness. Maybe it's just me.

Haven't you seen The Pursuit of Happyness? It's ALL about money and stuff.

brianinok
01-23-2007, 04:40 PM
I though Vince Gill (and wife Amy Grant) maintained a house between Edmond and Guthrie. At least that is what I've heard. I have seen them shopping at Penn Square before, during Christmas season.

MEJ
01-24-2007, 09:21 AM
"Super cool" is the exact term I would use to describe Wayne...I would surmise he is one of the most down-to-earth "rock stars" (I only put this in quotes because he is so humble about his success) out there. Maybe I'm a little partial since the Lips are one of my favorite bands of all time. One of the things I've always noticed and loved at his shows is that his band has Grammy winning albums, yet Wayne does his own sound check prior to the show. He even did this at the 2006 Austin City Limits Festival in front of 100,000 people (whether they were all around the stage with the Lips is questionable, but why wouldn't they want to be?). And they're one of the few bands I've seen that uses their fans as "backup dancers."

I totally know what you mean about how true to his Oklahoma roots he is. I think he knows how little Oklahoma has contributed to the rock music arena in comparison to what our state contributes to country, and I think he's proud to let people know he's an "Okie" cuz it lets the rest of the country know we are capable of producing other kinds of music...we actually do have all different kinds of people here. It is sad to see others who come from here deny any ties to our state. It kind of reminds me of the Nixons; once they started achieving fame, they claimed they were from Dallas (I think they were living there at some point), even though they got their start here.

I also can't help throwing in my little stories...I was at their show at Will Rogers Theatre back in '97 or '98, and Wayne was walking through the crowd before the show. He touched my arm (the way people do when they need to get your attention- not an accidental brush) as he walked through the crowd and said "Excuse me." Yeah...that was my rock star encounter. Also, when I was at the mall this past Xmas season, I swore I saw Wayne there. When I recounted the story to my brother (who is the uber Lips fan), he said I probably did see Wayne cuz he's known for being a last minute shopper; my brother has also seen him at the mall during Xmas, and the one year he didn't see him, Wayne was on the news as one of those people they interview about last minute shopping! He's just so cool.

BDP
01-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Does Steve Drozd live here now, too?

Not to take anything away from Wayne's tremendous talent or his impressive work eithic and commitment, but if I only had one genius tag to hand out to that band, I'd give it to Steve. however, I don't think the lips could do what they do without both of them.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the Lips, along with Wayne's house in OKC, check out the documentary Fearless Freaks. You can rent/buy it just about anywhere and I think it's on the Sundance Channel a lot.

traxx
01-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Traxx....

You bring up an excellent point. Perhaps I shouldn't have said 'sold out'.

It's just that I think Keith represents all that is wrong with modern-day country music. He's so packaged. I'm just not into it. But he does have the right to do whatever he desires with his money. It's free country. He certainly sings about it.

Yeah, I see your point. Although I think Toby's alot less packaged and "sold out" than many of today's country artist like Tim McGraw for example. Personally I like classic country but I listen to some of today's artists.

I also think Toby way down on the list of celebs needing 15 bedrooms, 12 crappers... I don't understand that either. And apparently they don't find happiness even with 5 mansions on 3 continents. That's why they're always in rehab, getting married numerous times, buying ridiculous items (like $500 pair of jeans) etc. They're trying to fill a void.

I've got a great wife, healthy & good kids, very modest house (that we love for its character) and decent job and I bet I'm ten times as happy and joyful as the celebrities.

Dustbowl
03-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Wayne went to Classen High with many of my friends. They still stay in touch. He is a very happy guy and talented. He lives just south of the Plaza District in a very rough neighborhood. I have to give him credit for bravery. His house is hard to miss, it was made from pieces of various torn down buildings in the area. It is considered to be the first fire proof house in OKC. Wayne has purchased a few houses adjoining his and has a mini-compound now.

Please don't rubber-neck looking for the house. Give him his space. If you can't help yourself, don't go there at night for your own safety.

betts
03-02-2008, 03:36 PM
He's buildng a dragon on the roof (I know his architect), and it sounds like there will be some very interesting things to see. Agree with the rubber necking comment, but if the dragon is visible, it may cause a few accidents. Haha!

I wouldn't hesitate to go into his neighborhood at night in my car,though. Of course, I don't hesitate to go many places in my car. I can't speak for walking around at night there, but with family in NYC, it's hard to feel nervous in OKC.

bornhere
03-02-2008, 05:48 PM
The city's decision to 'embrace' Wayne Coyne and the Flaming Lips is one of the truly cool things it has done.

betts
03-02-2008, 06:07 PM
The city's decision to 'embrace' Wayne Coyne and the Flaming Lips is one of the truly cool things it has done.

Bornhere, I think that for the first time, we totally agree.

metro
03-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Wayne went to Classen High with many of my friends. They still stay in touch. He is a very happy guy and talented. He lives just south of the Plaza District in a very rough neighborhood. I have to give him credit for bravery. His house is hard to miss, it was made from pieces of various torn down buildings in the area. It is considered to be the first fire proof house in OKC. Wayne has purchased a few houses adjoining his and has a mini-compound now.

Please don't rubber-neck looking for the house. Give him his space. If you can't help yourself, don't go there at night for your own safety.

Actually I'm pretty sure he lives IN the Plaza District and North of 16th not south. I'm pretty sure he's on 18th. Not sure if you've been in the area lately, but it's really cleaned up a bunch and tons of people and businesses are moving into the area. Property values have jumped tremendously in just the last year in this area.

Dustbowl
03-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Actually I'm pretty sure he lives IN the Plaza District and North of 16th not south. I'm pretty sure he's on 18th. Not sure if you've been in the area lately, but it's really cleaned up a bunch and tons of people and businesses are moving into the area. Property values have jumped tremendously in just the last year in this area.

Yes, the Gatewood area is improving North of the Plaza District. I know Jeff Struble and he is doing a fantastic job rehabing those homes in the area. He also owns a block Southside of 16th in the Plaza and is remodeling that strip also. I'm hearing that Gatewood is considering Historic designation. I believe that will help the area quite a bit.

Wayne lives South of the Plaza, for sure. Guarantee it. That area needs MAJOR work. Very rough area.

soonergal
03-02-2008, 07:33 PM

spoken like a true poke...

FritterGirl
03-02-2008, 08:17 PM
dustbowl, you are correct, I stand corrected. I pulled the county assessor's info:

Leonard Sullivan Oklahoma County Assessor Real Property Detail Sheet

this is the main house, and it shows the other 4 he's purchased as part of his compound. the sad thing is, he probably spent less than 200K for all 5 properties combined. Shows the good cost of living index in OKC though.

Not to be grumbly, but Wayne is a very private person, despite his public status. Do you really think it's a good idea to point out his exact property and post it on a public message board? It's one thing to discuss the neighborhood, another altogether to provide people with what amounts to a direct link to find his home, even if it is public record.

He already gets plenty of gawkers trying to find the place in the neighborhood. This is a bit intrusive if you ask me.

Dustbowl
03-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Not to be grumbly, but Wayne is a very private person, despite his public status. Do you really think it's a good idea to point out his exact property and post it on a public message board? It's one thing to discuss the neighborhood, another altogether to provide people with what amounts to a direct link to find his home, even if it is public record.

He already gets plenty of gawkers trying to find the place in the neighborhood. This is a bit intrusive if you ask me.

Yes, that's why I posted no rubbernecking please.

Karried
03-02-2008, 08:43 PM
I have to agree.

Let's not post people's private info even if it public on Leonard Sullivan's Page... if people want to do so, they can look it up themselves, not from a link from our forum.

andy157
03-02-2008, 09:06 PM
The city's decision to 'embrace' Wayne Coyne and the Flaming Lips is one of the truly cool things it has done.It's a shame our City leaders could only "embrace" him and them with an alley. I guess they were all out of streets.

fubaduba
03-02-2008, 09:21 PM
We need to foster and promote creativity...not promote homogenous lifestyles and the like....a no vote will bring real change about.

CsvMnfc0ZBM

betts
03-02-2008, 10:09 PM
We need to foster and promote creativity...not promote homogenous lifestyles and the like....a no vote will bring real change about.

CsvMnfc0ZBM

Uh, I see a no vote bringing about the bad kind of change. The "remember what the oil bust was like" kind of change. The "let's move to the suburbs where they have all the cool fast food" kind of change. Thst's just my opinon, of course. What kind of change are you talking about. What do you want for Oklahoma City? How do you see if progressing?

I believe, that if we want a vital, energetic, downtown that's home to businesses, retail and people, we need more leisure time options. I'd love to see an art theatre downtown, and of course we'd all love to see a Whole Foods-like grocery store, but wouldn't it be fun to have cool stores and sidewalk cafes. We can have none of those things without people, and to get people to leave suburbia, we have to make downtown fun. It's kind of a vicious cycle. But having an NBA team downtown would be a great place to start. The thought of walking to the games and then back to Bricktown afterwards makes me wish this were a done deal.

metro
03-03-2008, 07:59 AM
fair enough FritterGirl, I have no problem with the mods deleting it, although isn't this a public board with free speech? As you've pointed out it's public information. I've seen tons of posts on this forum posting direct links to others in the community, Kirk Humphreys, Clay Bennett, Aubrey McClendon, and others to name a few. How is this different? If anything, it's more of a threat to the leaders mentioned above (due to upset voters), than Wayne. I haven't heard anyone who has a serious beef with him. Perhaps we should go back and delete those posts as well.

FritterGirl
03-03-2008, 08:24 AM
It is a public message board with free speech. But, free speech carries with it great responsibility. Part of that responsibility, in my opinion, is not to go posting the web link to the private homes of celebrities.

It's one thing to discuss the general neighborhood, as we all have done. Another altogether to say, "look, here's the link to this person's house, and you cannot only see a picture of it, but find out when they bought the house, and how much they paid for it."

I just don't think this forum - or any forum - is the place to provide that information.

Do we need to remind you the fit you threw when people were demanding to know where Craig Groeschel lives? You fought tooth and nail to protect his privacy. Yet here you are leading people right to Wayne's front door. Does Wayne not deserve that same amount of privacy and respect?

People who really want to know can go through the proper means of getting that information. I don't believe it needs to be spoon-fed to the public!

Matt
03-03-2008, 08:24 AM
fair enough FritterGirl, I have no problem with the mods deleting it, although isn't this a public board with free speech?

Uh, no.

jbrown84
03-03-2008, 08:35 AM
It's a shame our City leaders could only "embrace" him and them with an alley. I guess they were all out of streets.

I think they intentionally did an alley. It's the perfect offbeat designation for a band like the Flaming Lips.

jbrown84
03-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Do we need to remind you the fit you threw when people were demanding to know where Craig Groeschel lives? You fought tooth and nail to protect his privacy. Yet here you are leading people right to Wayne's front door.

Haha good point. I think you won that one. ;)

Matt
03-03-2008, 08:50 AM
That was good stuff, indeed.

Link (http://www.okctalk.com/edmond/11563-lifechurch-plans-growth-edmond-campus-2.html?highlight=lifechurch#post120787)

From that thread:

If he wants to remain private in his family life (including where he lives) then I will respect his opinion and privacy and not publicly post his address, in fact, I'm pretty sure that would be against the TOS of this website.

metro
03-03-2008, 09:49 AM
It is a public message board with free speech. But, free speech carries with it great responsibility. Part of that responsibility, in my opinion, is not to go posting the web link to the private homes of celebrities.

It's one thing to discuss the general neighborhood, as we all have done. Another altogether to say, "look, here's the link to this person's house, and you cannot only see a picture of it, but find out when they bought the house, and how much they paid for it."

I just don't think this forum - or any forum - is the place to provide that information.

Do we need to remind you the fit you threw when people were demanding to know where Craig Groeschel lives? You fought tooth and nail to protect his privacy. Yet here you are leading people right to Wayne's front door. Does Wayne not deserve that same amount of privacy and respect?

People who really want to know can go through the proper means of getting that information. I don't believe it needs to be spoon-fed to the public!

Good point, I can respect your opinion and I will take sides with you. As regards to Groechel, I wouldn't say I fought "tooth and nail" but I did refuse to post his address. Mainly because there are so many on this message board bitter against him (one even had a hate website dedicated to him and posted stuff on here). Secondly, Craig's info isn't public because he lives outside city limits and outside the county. He's also legally made it unavailable because he is clergy and has the right to do so. For safety reasons for anyone public figure or not, I will respect the decision of the mods and not request that it be put back.

Dustbowl
03-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Can we bury or delete this entire thread? I feel bad that I even posted any information at all about Wayne. I was trying to point out that Wayne and friends are unique, interesting and they still have roots in OKC. I thought this was a positive situation.

Unlike politicians who deserve MUCH more scrutiny and questioning by the voters, especially in this "me too" environment, Wayne is just doing his thing as a private citizen. Big difference. Please delete the thread.

Matt
03-03-2008, 10:05 AM
We should delete an entire thread that was started over a year ago just because you don't like the direction it's taken over the last dozen or so posts?

If anything should be deleted, it should be that stupid YouTube video. It's annoying and has nothing to do with Wayne Coyne.

kmf563
03-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I heart Wayne. Bless his wife too - she is so sweet and patient with all of his fans and his creativity. But I highly doubt she wants people stalking her house. If you want to see Wayne that bad just hang out around Kamps on classen, Target, or the other local shops. He visits them quite often.

OkieHornet
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
if i remember right, in the Fearless Freaks dvd documentary about the Flaming Lips, there's a shot that shows his house with the street signs in the foreground...

which if you haven't seen it, and like the Lips, it's a great documentary shot by Brad Beesley...

oumoodman85
03-03-2008, 08:24 PM
I am a lifelong resident of OKC--now relocated to Dallas after graduating from OU. But asides from the renaissance that is encompassing OKC (which I love telling all of my co-workers about), the Lips are always a source of pride for me. For instance, I was driving to work listening to the alt. rock station here around Halloween, and the dj is telling all of DFW about the "cool" parade being held in OKC with the Lips--and that everyone should come!

Plus the Lips have paved the way for other Oklahoma bands--the Shiny Toy Guns are another up and coming alt rock/techno band that has its roots in Shawnee. But, I met the founder at a gig in Fayetville, AR over the weekend and what else did we talk about, but the Flaming Lips? The Shiny Toy Guns actually recorded a large part of their current album in a house in OKC near the Lips (there is a video interview on YouTube which describes this).

Long live the Lips, and the Renaissance!

metro
03-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Shiny Toy Guns are awesome too!

CuatrodeMayo
03-03-2008, 09:47 PM
I was listening to STGs just a little bit ago...definitely cool!

kmf563
03-05-2008, 08:43 AM
LOL. STG. I can't think about Chad Petree without thinking about PCQuest and Oklahoma Kids. Long story - but I've known that kid since he was about 7 years old.

Back to topic - anybody going to Waka to see the Flaming Lips this summer?

andy157
03-05-2008, 07:15 PM
I think they intentionally did an alley. It's the perfect offbeat designation for a band like the Flaming Lips.OK I'll buy that. I guess there is some logic using that train of thought.

DarlingDearest
03-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi there, I've been kind of lurking on the board for a little bit now...long time reader first time poster. :)

I live on the Coyne "compound" and I just wanted to say that our neighborhood is pretty rough, but it's improving. Someone is doing something right, and I think we need to keep it up!

There's such a change in the Midtown area and really anyone who lives around us can feel it. It's exciting and inspiring, and I know that everyone who posts on this board knows what I'm talking about.

We do live south of the Plaza District. I do think it's very nice of you not to post their address. It's easy enough to find as it is. :)

Thanks!

BBatesokc
08-16-2010, 06:54 AM
I just found this thread. I had no idea that was his home. That is too funny, I drive by that place a few times a week and the wife and I always think outloud how cool that property is and wondered who lived there. This info will make the driving by even more fun. Would be great to see their energy spread to surrounding properties!

soonerguru
08-16-2010, 07:11 AM

This is entirely incorrect. Wayne lives south of the Plaza District in Classen Ten-Penn.

BBatesokc
08-16-2010, 07:25 AM
This is entirely incorrect. Wayne lives south of the Plaza District in Classen Ten-Penn.

You are correct and its the coolest house I've seen in a long time - it exudes artsy talent.

CaseyCornett
08-16-2010, 07:43 AM

He lives three blocks from the Plaza District off 13th and Blackwelder...I definitely woudn't call it entirely incorrect, but hey, this is an online chat forum and everyone is always entirely incorrect.

BBatesokc
08-16-2010, 07:50 AM
He lives three blocks from the Plaza District off 13th and Blackwelder...I definitely woudn't call it entirely incorrect, but hey, this is an online chat forum and everyone is always entirely incorrect.

Nice. I think it had already been expressed that thanks was given for NOT giving out directions to their residence.

soonerguru
08-16-2010, 09:25 AM

There's a big diff between Gatewood and Classen Ten Penn, but whatever.

CuatrodeMayo
08-16-2010, 09:35 AM
The contrast is stark.

Anyways, here's your directions: Go to google streetview, tool around the Classen-10-Penn 'hood, and look for a dude in a tub in his front yard...

Steve
08-16-2010, 10:54 AM
I really can't believe that a two-year-old direction to Wayne Coyne's house is suddenly turning into a bit of a flame war. Coyne lives in Classen-10-Penn adjacent to the Plaza District. The Plaza District is part of the community that Coyne calls home. Coyne is not exactly shy about calling this area home either. Be cool around him and he'll be cool with you. He just wants to be treated like any other weird guy hanging out in the Plaza District. His home was recently featured on the architectural home tour, so I really don't think its location is that big a secret. Now, those of you getting riled up need to dress up like Santa, find a son, daughter, spouse or friend to dress like a green Martian, go outside, crank up some Lips music and blow some bubbles.

Larry OKC
08-17-2010, 01:06 AM
:yeahthat:

ChowRunner
08-17-2010, 06:31 AM
Anyone here familiar with Centinial Park? It is between the Civic Center and City Hall.

In this park are several Full size statues of famous people from our city. I have always thought that Wayne deserved to have a statue so the city could recognize everything he has done to promote the arts and OKC.

kevinpate
08-17-2010, 06:49 AM
Anyone here familiar with Centinial Park? It is between the Civic Center and City Hall.

In this park are several Full size statues of famous people from our city. I have always thought that Wayne deserved to have a statue so the city could recognize everything he has done to promote the arts and OKC.

Is there an adjacent alley?

ChowRunner
08-17-2010, 07:25 AM
They have a statue of some conductor in front of the Civic Center... Maybe the space in the back of the Civic Center by the loading dock is open...