View Full Version : Ok, now I'll give them some credit

BDP
01-19-2007, 12:34 PM
At least they have acknowleded and addressed problems with the planning and execution of our snow routes. it's good to see we didn't have to wait until an election cycle for it to be addressed. We'll see if it helps:

http://www.newsok.com/article/3001313/

County revises snow routes

By John Estus
Staff Writer

A new snow route system went into effect last night as Oklahoma County officials acknowledged that the past week's snow and ice storm exposed flaws in plowing roads countywide.

Drivers often found one city's plowed snow routes didn't connect to other cities routes, leaving motorists stuck on dangerous roads that hadn't been plowed. There was a lack of cooperation between the county and its major cities, officials said.

As a result, the Board of County Commissioners called an emergency meeting Thursday and worked with emergency management officials from Oklahoma City, Edmond, Midwest City, Choctaw and other cities to develop what they're calling "super snow routes.”

In anticipation of another blast of snow this weekend, selected major arterial roads running north-south and east-west will no longer go unplowed as county highway district crews will work together with crews from cities to provide better service.

jbrown84
01-19-2007, 01:10 PM
There was also an article in the Oklahoman addressing people's concerns that we weren't prepared for this.

Patrick
01-19-2007, 02:22 PM
When I was in Dallas a few years back before an ice storm, I noticed they started salting and sanding the roads before the snow ever fell. That way the salt was there to melt the snow as it hit the ground. I'm not sure why we can't be more proactive like that.

BDP
01-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Who knows? They might just need to talk to someone who knows how to do this stuff. I don't think anyone here does.

I guess these were just county revisions. I don't know how much city streets will improve by these changes, but I guess we'll get to see.