View Full Version : Grandma's dead

Todd
01-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Yes, folks grandma's dead...not my grandma, but rather the mother in-law of the woman who takes care of my 2 year old son. After my wife told me the story I was floored.

It seems she was very elderly and was being taken care of at home...the home of her daughter in-law (my baby sitter). The deceased made it clear that she did want to be embalmed and wanted to be buried in a pine box (which her son made). So tonight, she lays in cold storage…so to speak on the back porch waiting for transport to Colorado in the AM. She is being transported in the back of her son’s pick-up all the way to Colorado. Now that’s Ford tough…

According to my wife as explained to her this is called a "Green Burial" and is perfectly legal.

For some reason, I can just picture Chevy Chase pulling up in the family truckster with quad headlights throwing grandma on the luggage rack and strapping her down.

Keith
01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Yes, folks grandma's dead...not my grandma, but rather the mother in-law of the woman who takes care of my 2 year old son. After my wife told me the story I was floored.

It seems she was very elderly and was being taken care of at home...the home of her daughter in-law (my baby sitter). The deceased made it clear that she did want to be embalmed and wanted to be buried in a pine box (which her son made). So tonight, she lays in cold storage…so to speak on the back porch waiting for transport to Colorado in the AM. She is being transported in the back of her son’s pick-up all the way to Colorado. Now that’s Ford tough…

According to my wife as explained to her that this is called a "Green Burial" and is perfectly legal.

For some reason, I can just picture Chevy Chase pulling up in the family truckster with quad headlights throwing grandma on the luggage rack and strapping her down.
No disrespect to grandma, but one thing is for sure......she will definitely keep if you leave her outside. She may be a little "stiff," but she will keep.

I can't imagine, though, her being transported in the back of a truck. I hope they tie her down real good.

Karried
01-17-2007, 08:14 PM
omg.

This reminds me of Little Miss Sunshine .. sheesh Todd. I have the visual.

BailJumper
01-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Imagine if they get pulled over by OHP looking for drug smugglers... "So, whatcha got in the box sir?" Do you need a permit to transport a dead body? Otherwise, the next serial killer who gets pulled over with a body in the trunk is gonna claim it's "grandma getting one of those new age green burials."

Just for fun they should put different state stickers all over the box (like you see on RVs) and claim she's been on her last vacation.

My wife wants one of those 'green burials.' I'm wondering if a Hefty bag at the corner counts? LOL

mranderson
01-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Unless the laws have changed, every state I know of requires a deceased person to be embalmed before transported to another state.

Green Burial? Sounds a bit crazy to me. Personally, I would rather be juiced by a funeral director. That way, I will be preserved indefinantly. Then buried in a vault.

Karried
01-18-2007, 03:51 PM
From Google:

A green burial is a cremation alternative, and a viable alternative to "traditional" burial practices in the United States. It is an earth friendly option when considering burial vs cremation. Many families choose cremation because it's seen as more environmentally friendly than traditional burial. Embalming, expensive sealed caskets and burial vaults are not required by law. Though traditional memorial parks may require them, a green cemetery or memorial nature preserve does not. The simplicity of a green burial is in tune with nature and need not be expensive.
Until recently, interment in an environmentally friendly burial ground was not an option. Now we can consider and encourage a natural burial, helping to preserve open spaces throughout the United States. This will increasingly become a cremation alternative.

BailJumper
01-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Keep up with the laws regarding tranporting dead bodies do ya Anderson? That's a bit concerning. The only thing more scary is
I will be preserved indefinantly

aintaokie
01-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Embalming does not preserve indefinantly and those expensive SEALER caskets do not stay sealed. I have a morbid curiousity about what happens to the human body after death. The internet has lot's of info on this subject.

BailJumper
01-18-2007, 07:54 PM
I really hate when I hear stories about how the funeral industry has kept prices for a funeral so high when they do not need to be. $15,000 to bury a loved one is crazy and an unnecessary burden on a family.

mranderson
01-19-2007, 04:20 AM
I really hate when I hear stories about how the funeral industry has kept prices for a funeral so high when they do not need to be. $15,000 to bury a loved one is crazy and an unnecessary burden on a family.

IT may be crazy, however, it is realistic.

Here is an aproximate list of what Vondel L. Smith charged us to bury my dad. Plus, my brother's was not much less.

Basic funeral service $1200.00
Embalming $675.00
Family car $200.00 plus milage
Funeral coach $200.00 plus milage
transporting body to funeral home $400.00
Casket (which was cherrywood with brass accents) $4995.00
Misc expenses $ 200-300.00
transfer to Ponca City $200.00 plus milage
use of chapel $500.00
Total to Smith was (rounded) $9700.00

I probably missed some expenses.

We also had to buy the vault and pay Grace Memorial Chapel in Ponca City.

My mom said including out of town guest expenses which my dad had asked she pay, the total was around $30,000.00. For my brother, which included burial plot, it was nearly $20,000.

After seeing the totals, I realized these were very fair expenses. I have known Scott Smtih who owns Vodel L. Smith, for several years. I asked out of curiosity, and Scott said there was not a large profit in the typical funeral. Of course, as any business, he is entitled to a reasonable profit.

So. Crazy as it may be, be sure to save for the final farewell. It will cost a lot of money.

Martin
01-19-2007, 04:46 AM
sure, everybody is entitled to a reasonable profit... however, price fixing routinely goes on in this market... that is not fair to the consumer. -M

Karried
01-19-2007, 06:27 AM
So. Crazy as it may be, be sure to save for the final farewell. It will cost a lot of money

Wow.. that's a lot of money.. I hadn't realized it cost so much - $50,000.00 could have gone a long way towards the heirs and children of the deceased..or even to charity.

I've seen and heard many stories of funeral directors 'encouraging' the purchase of really expensive items and pretty much taking advantage of the grieving family. You'll get your 'bad apples' in every business but this seems especially cruel to me.

When I die there is no way I'm going to line the pockets of a funeral home.. hopefully, I'll have spent most the kids inheritence on travelling and enjoying my golden years - my plan is to put them through college and help them buy their first homes but after that.. they're own their own. But should there be a surplus it won't be going to a funeral home for a casket that no one will ever see again ..

But everyone makes their own choices.. I realize it is important and a tradition to some people, so to each his own. Who knows, if you're wealthy, it probably doesn't matter.

I'm doing cremation or maybe a green burial.... no casket, no doubt about it.

BailJumper
01-19-2007, 07:06 AM
There are many many published stories about how the funeral industry rapes the families of deceased loved ones. I also worked with a woman whose parents owned a good size funeral business and was bought out by one of the larger groups a couple of years ago. She said the profits were huge and her folks home and cars certainly backed that up. They, like many funeral homes though did offer free burials for infants and young children.

It has been widely reported that there are compaines ready and willing to offer very nice caskets and even services at a much lower rate but laws do not allow them because of the lobby that is alive and well in this industry.

Personally, I think you should be able to rent a casket for use at the service alone. Then allow the body to be lowered through the bottom of the casket and reused. My family has suffered many deaths in the last 12 years and the cost is outrageous.

A few companies in a couple of states are able to offer very low cost cremations.

I'm all for it for me.

MadMonk
01-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Just a pine box for me thanks. Better yet, cremation. No muss, no fuss, though that can be expensive as well.

I've never understood the need for a fancy casket. It won't make a difference - trust me, embalmed or not your body WILL decay and in the grand scheme of things will be no better off than someone laying in a plain box. In my opinion, the whole funeral industry is a great big scam that takes advantage of people in thier most vunerable state while cloaking their actions in a veil of caring concern.

Martin
01-19-2007, 08:52 AM
though it sounds morbid to talk about... i'm thinking cremation, too. it just seems (to me) to be a vain waste of space and money. ...not that i'm knocking anyone who chooses traditional burial, it's just not what i'd want.

one thing i know for sure, though, i want to go peacefully in my sleep like my granddad and not wide-awake and screaming like the passengers in his car.

-M (sorry, had to work that in)

BailJumper
01-19-2007, 09:24 AM
I want one of those new headstones with the built-in flat screen monitor that welcomes guests with my own image and words. Now that is class!

Karried
01-19-2007, 09:36 AM
ohh bailjumper, I think you're on to something if that hasn't been invented.. Has it? What a concept.. create a personal message with pictures.. I'm loving that idea.. okay, change of plans.. I'll be in a urn connected to a flatscreen.lol

BailJumper
01-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Actually it has been invented and is very real.

Have you also heard of having your ashes made into a "diamond" and placed into a piece of jewelry? Very real too.

Personally, you gave me an idea that goes great with my personality.

I now want to be cremated and placed in an urn. Instead of a flatscreen, I want a motion sensor on my urn so that when people walk by my pre-recorded voice speaks to them. Something like... "Hey, it's kinda dark in here" or "Hey, have you seen the rest of my body" or even "Does this vase make me look fat?"

The computer chip could even make announcements on my birthday, death anniversary etc.

Karried
01-19-2007, 10:32 AM
LOL... I think you're onto something .. Motion sensored urns.. yeah, I'm loving it..

mranderson
01-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Wow.. that's a lot of money.. I hadn't realized it cost so much - $50,000.00 could have gone a long way towards the heirs and children of the deceased..or even to charity.

I've seen and heard many stories of funeral directors 'encouraging' the purchase of really expensive items and pretty much taking advantage of the grieving family. You'll get your 'bad apples' in every business but this seems especially cruel to me.

When I die there is no way I'm going to line the pockets of a funeral home.. hopefully, I'll have spent most the kids inheritence on travelling and enjoying my golden years - my plan is to put them through college and help them buy their first homes but after that.. they're own their own. But should there be a surplus it won't be going to a funeral home for a casket that no one will ever see again ..

But everyone makes their own choices.. I realize it is important and a tradition to some people, so to each his own. Who knows, if you're wealthy, it probably doesn't matter.

I'm doing cremation or maybe a green burial.... no casket, no doubt about it.

The funeral directors involved did not encourage anything. I originally planned a mahogony casket for my dad because it was his favorite wood. When my mom and I saw the ne we chose, it was a no brainer. Everything else was our choice without questions or comments.

In fact, they tried to talk us out of some things.

(sorry this topic went this way, but it is interesting)

Karried
01-19-2007, 12:36 PM
I respect your choices.. it is important for many families to choose this type of funeral arrangement.

Glad you didn't get reamed by a funeral home, many people do get caught up in the emotion of the moment so it can happen pretty easily.

BailJumper
01-19-2007, 02:07 PM
For me personally, I wouldn't consider it an honor for my family to spend $15K - $30K just to stick me in the ground. But that's just me.

Make it quick, cheap and light hearted. If you wanna spend some dough in my name, there is a list of charities I support. Or better yet, pick a kid with a future and no funds and use the money to put him/her through college. Put a big guilt trip on them about how they are doing his in my memory and if they fail in life then they are letting my entire family and my memory down!