View Full Version : I-40 Relocation Progress

traxx
01-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Not that I really have any news but I thought this would be a good thread for people to add what they know or have seen on the progress of the I-40 relocation and the subsequent boulevard where the current I-40 is located.

I read recently that they expect the new I-40 to be up and running in 2008. That seems pretty quick to me.

Anyone else? :Smiley171

Kerry
01-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Without any traffic to devert or work around construction can go much faster. Most freeway construction is done at night but since there is not any traffic on the road they can work 24/7.

jbrown84
01-18-2007, 08:21 AM
From what I have seen, I like the look of the bridge over the railroad tracks near the canal.

bombermwc
01-18-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm not sure i believe 2008 anymore. We haven't seen ANY businesses torn down yet....which has to happen before any building occurs. I do believe they will be able to build FAST because they dont have to deal with traffic, but that's a lot of road in 1 year.

Pete
01-18-2007, 09:59 AM
In addition to the first two bridges that are under construction, I believe they have been relocating utilities in the rest of the corridor.

I know there was still a lot of engineering to be done on the segments, too.

Hopefully they'll get rolling soon. It's only 4 miles of freeway and as mentioned, they don't have to work around existing traffic.

traxx
01-18-2007, 11:55 AM
That's a good point that they don't have to work around traffic. Still it seems awful fast but hey that'd be great if it could be finished in 2008. And not December 31, 2008 but sometime earlier.

metro
01-18-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure i believe 2008 anymore. We haven't seen ANY businesses torn down yet....which has to happen before any building occurs. I do believe they will be able to build FAST because they dont have to deal with traffic, but that's a lot of road in 1 year.

Not any businesses torn down?? They started buying out and tearing some out along the current I-40 years ago. I'm not sure if they are done with this process or not. Last I heard I thought this process was done with.

Pete
02-08-2007, 10:33 AM
BTW, in today's DOK article about Core to Shore proposals, they mentioned that ODOT has now pushed by completion to 2012.

CMSturgeon
02-08-2007, 10:59 AM
My step dad said they're in the demo process as of now. They've owned all of the land they will be using for about a year and a half. They are doing some dirt work right now. There is a large dirt pile to the South of I-40 near Bass Pro that will be used to build the peice that will tie back into the current I-40. I didnt know this, but they're completely lowering it to the ground, at about 4th or 5th street.

I remember when my step dad was the superintendent of the Harkin's build, he would tell me everyday that peices of the current I-40 were falling off, and there were crews out their daily repairing it. I hate driving on Interstate 40, I drive a rear wheel drive car and I always feel like my rear end is breaking loose from the ground because of all the bumps. I can't wait until that crap hole is replaced!

jbrown84
02-08-2007, 11:55 AM
ODOT has now pushed by completion to 2012.

How could it POSSIBLY take 6 years to build 3 miles of interstate?????

mranderson
02-08-2007, 12:09 PM

Ask your buddies in Dallas. It took that long to build the Bush Turnpike. Oh. BTW. That stretch of 40 is a lot longer than three miles. And, yes. I know. The Bush is also. However, it took at least six years to complete jus four or five miles of it.

jbrown84
02-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Ask your buddies in Dallas. It took that long to build the Bush Turnpike. Oh. BTW. That stretch of 40 is a lot longer than three miles. And, yes. I know. The Bush is also. However, it took at least six years to complete jus four or five miles of it.

Um, I never said ANYTHING about Dallas.

Okay it's somewhere between 3 and 4. And weren't you just decrying comparison's to Dallas anyway? You didn't answer my question. I see no reason why a completely new section of highway (not a widening) that short should take that long.

Pete
02-08-2007, 12:53 PM
I suspect there still may be some funding issues, as they've said all along their will have to be more money raised before it could be completed.

However, they have to assume it will materialize otherwise they wouldn't have started.

But this is always the way... They provide one date when they are trying to get everyone on board with a project, then soon as there is no turning back they push the completion way back. If they are already adding two years, just wait... We'll hear all about various unforseen problems, weather, etc.

SpectralMourning
02-08-2007, 01:05 PM
ODOT "apparently" shot extremely low on the cost estimate of the relocation. Instead of a $236 million estimate, the project is now estimated to cost $557 million and in OKC's Core to Shore January presentation called for a completion in 2008. The current completion date will be in 2012 as mentioned earlier.

The city seems to take this in stride, but I don't see how anyone can't call b.s. on this. How did they screw the estimates up this badly and all of the sudden come up with such a enormous figure only a month later? The whole thing sounds like a sick joke. If these "final" numbers are correct (as if the whole project isn't an appropriations sink hole) I'd highly expect all of ODOT's managers to be looking for jobs in a Texas Dairy Queen...

Pete
02-08-2007, 01:20 PM
It seems that every large construction project is using the high price of concrete and steel (hurricane Katrina, huge demand in China, etc.) as an excuse to ignore any sort of prior budget.

My biggest concern has always been that this project really drags out, corners are cut in hardscape and landscape, and that we end up with a massive eyesore where the old highway once stood (if, in fact, we have the money to demolish it).

And not to get political, but I would expect road money to get much tighter once there is someone new in the White House.

metro
02-08-2007, 01:49 PM

3 words. Lack of Funding. This Route D relocation is a joke in the first place. Notice how you didn't hear good ole' boy Earnest Istook using the I-40 relocation in his bid for governor. You definitely don't hear him now with all the shortcomings on this project nor any of his white collar cronies that helped him push this through.:fighting3

AFCM
02-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Edit: Disregard this post. My question had been answered previously. Is there a moderator in the house?

metro
11-27-2007, 07:30 AM
I've noticed a lot of dirtwork has taken place for the new highway around Agnew the last 2 weeks.

FRISKY
11-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Highway construction in Oklahoma works like this:
‘Good ole’ boy’ construction companies make low, impractical bids that allow them to win the bidding process, knowing the final cost and completion dates cannot possibly be met. They don’t care because everyone expects more money for all major projects to be allotted because of some “unforeseen crisis”.

The winning construction company initiates a token workforce to do the necessary initial dirt work and keep concerned parties off their back for a few years by tricking the populace into thinking the project is running on schedule.

The interest free “loan” allocated for the initial project then gets funneled into other ventures and investments. These other investments are where the construction companies actually make the most money, and are why they work in conjunction with their government financial cronies to always extend the cost and completion dates. The longer the project can be extended and the more money allocated, the better it is for those that make money off the situation.

On most road projects the work will be completed at the latest possible date, even though an active work crew could finish the project in one tenth or less of the time actually used.

CMSturgeon
11-28-2007, 10:26 AM
I work at I-40 & Agnew and noticed they have completely leveled the giant dirt piles that are there for the new interstate.... that's all I've got.

CuatrodeMayo
11-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Everybody has a conspiracy theory.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Everybody has a conspiracy theory.

Kenny Rogers is a Communist.

dalelakin
11-28-2007, 05:49 PM
I work at I-40 & Agnew

Small world me too.

It looks to me as though it is being brought up to the same grade as the current I-40. Makes sense as where the grade has been raised is where the new section will off-shoot.

As far as the comments on the good ol' boy system here. HA what an understatement. I deal with various Depts of Transportation including ODOT daily and it amazes me every day how backwards some things seem to be done. Here I thought Indiana DOT was disorganized Oklahoma takes the cake IMO.

CMSturgeon
11-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Small world me too.

Where?

dalelakin
11-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Joe Cooper Truck Center.

You?

Midtowner
11-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Highway construction in Oklahoma works like this:
‘Good ole’ boy’ construction companies make low, impractical bids that allow them to win the bidding process, knowing the final cost and completion dates cannot possibly be met. They don’t care because everyone expects more money for all major projects to be allotted because of some “unforeseen crisis”.

The winning construction company initiates a token workforce to do the necessary initial dirt work and keep concerned parties off their back for a few years by tricking the populace into thinking the project is running on schedule.

The interest free “loan” allocated for the initial project then gets funneled into other ventures and investments. These other investments are where the construction companies actually make the most money, and are why they work in conjunction with their government financial cronies to always extend the cost and completion dates. The longer the project can be extended and the more money allocated, the better it is for those that make money off the situation.

On most road projects the work will be completed at the latest possible date, even though an active work crew could finish the project in one tenth or less of the time actually used.

Frisky, I'm not aware that this is the way things are done. I ran this by my father who used to be general counsel to the highway department (now ODOT) and he doesn't agree that this is how things are done.

As far as I know, the engineers provide progress payments to contractors when certain milestones are met as well as ensuring that projects are finished on time (else liquidated damages follow).

I agree that ODOT is very sleazy, but I just don't know of anything which supports your theory. I don't believe the state can even constitutionally loan money to a private entity (if that's where you're alleging these loans are coming from).

FRISKY
11-30-2007, 07:40 AM
As far as I know, the engineers provide progress payments to contractors when certain milestones are met as well as ensuring that projects are finished on time (else liquidated damages follow).

I agree that ODOT is very sleazy, but I just don't know of anything which supports your theory. I don't believe the state can even constitutionally loan money to a private entity (if that's where you're alleging these loans are coming from).We are using different terminology to say the same thing.

I used the term "loan" in quotation marks not to indicate a true monetary loan from the government, but a way of denoting that the contractors would get ample enough funding from what you call “progress payments” to be able to finance other projects at the same time as initial project. The contractors don’t use all the money from each progress payment the first day of that section of the contract.

Construction companies want to extend the contracts as long as possible so they will have more time to use the monies for other investments before they actually need it to finish the required segments of the initial project.

I didn’t just theorize this. I have worked for both highway and county road construction companies and have had alliances with the politicians in charge of funding for those road construction contracts.