View Full Version : Blood Donations Low, Go Donate!!!

metro
01-17-2007, 02:15 PM
We Need Your Help!

There is an urgent need for type B+ and type O+ blood. The supply of these blood types has become very low. All blood types are needed but there is a particular need for Type O+ or Type B+ blood today. You can help make a difference in someone's life!

All donors will receive a FREE long sleeve t-shirt.

Click here to request an appointment online today!

To find the donor center nearest you, or to schedule an appointment, call 1(877)OBI-GIVE or online at Oklahoma Blood Institute (http://www.obi.org).

5105 N. Portland, Oklahoma City,
(405) 947-6621
3409 S. Broadway, suite 300, Edmond,
(405) 475-0359
1113 S. Douglas Blvd., Ste. C, Midwest City,
(405) 737-7813
1004 24th Ave. NW, Ste. 101, Norman,
(405) 364-2444
4601 E. 81st St., Tulsa,
(918) 477-0400
301 E. Cherokee, Enid,
(580) 233-9323
1420 Veterans Blvd., Ardmore,
(580) 226-2220
900 N. Mississippi, Suite B, Ada,
(580) 436-0384
211 SW 'A' Ave., Lawton,
(580) 353-6451
518 N. 14th St., Ponca City,
(580) 762-9488

bandnerd
01-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Oh wow, I'm actually B+. I never knew until I gave blood for the first time last year at our school's first blood drive.

They made fun of me because my veins don't respond. I swear that woman beat the crap out of my arm, then gave me a mean look like I was doing it on purpose! lol...she finally wrapped a blood pressure cuff around my arm TWICE just to get the veins to show.

I thought I read once that B+ blood wasn't usually needed? I guess they always need type-specific on hand, though.

I just like the way it sounds...be positive. If the ice/snow ever clears up I'll try and get to a donation clinic!

metro
01-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah I went and donated myself as well, I'm O+ which they also are in dire need of. The main roads are clear enough now where you could make it fine. Just because the weather is bad, doesn't mean they don't need donations. In fact, that's usually when they need them more since less people are donating during these times.

bandnerd
01-17-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm going to share a few little details, metro:

1. I have no depth perception.

2. My car does not have anti-lock brakes.

Going to the grocery store, though the roads were for the most part plowed, was still scary for me. I'll get there when I can get there. I understand there's a need, but if I injure myself on the way, and need that B+ blood, then I'm not really helping anyone.

51st and Portland, Edmond, and far east MWC are all quite far away from me. I wouldn't be able to make there on most clear days, just given my schedule. Like I said, I understand the need, but I'm not going to endanger myself at the same time.

metro
01-17-2007, 04:10 PM
bandnerd, I wasn't suggesting you endanger yourself just to go donate. I was simply talking in generic terms for everyone not to forget that just because weather/outside influences are bad, doesn't mean the need stops for blood, etc. no offense was meant.

bandnerd
01-17-2007, 04:16 PM
I apologize, I just felt like you were saying "Well, gee, selfish bandnerd, get out and donate!"

I've been stuck here by myself WAY TOO LONG this week. Sorry lol.

I really don't trust myself on this stuff, or else it would have been a pleasant way to spend the afternoon. I would have had to break my new year's resolution of no sugar for an entire month, though.

Giving blood last year...once they finally found a vein...made me feel surprisingly good and incredibly hyper. The kids thought I was on crack or something the way I was jabbering along. Quite funny. A teacher told me it was adrenaline? Either way it was kind of fun lol. Plus I got Nutter Butters!

metro
01-17-2007, 04:17 PM
where is Mid at this days anyways bandnerd??

metro
04-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Come to the Rescue and Donate Blood! Blood Supplies are low again!

During April and May, the Oklahoma Blood Institute is calling all blood donors. Each donor will receive a special edition "May Day!" t-shirt.

Visit our website at Oklahoma Blood Institute (http://www.obi.org) for more information or call 1-877-OBI-GIVE and we'll be happy to assist you.

bandnerd
04-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Do they still need B+ blood? I did go back in February to give, but I clotted up before they were able to get enough out of me :( I almost filled the bag, but not the tubes they use for testing so it was a waste of their time. I felt awful.

I think we may be having a blood drive here at school next month. I think I do better in familiar surroundings with people I know and that I can talk to. I didn't have any problem giving last year. I was too busy keeping the kids entertained to worry about my own issues.

metro
04-11-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure. I'm guessing probably so as they're usually low on all types of blood or can always use more in the reserves. You may want to call and ask.