View Full Version : PC to the extreme

BailJumper
01-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Anyone else see this story when it happend and notice how PC the news was trying to be?

They described it as "a mini van full of Mexican nationals with limited identification." Turns out it was a mini van full of illegals, but that just isn't PC enough these days.

Crash victims smuggled, officer says

By The Associated Press

The passengers in a minivan that crashed on a slick Oklahoma interstate during a winter storm, killing seven, were illegal immigrants being smuggled to North Carolina, a federal immigration officer confirmed Tuesday.
"This was a smuggling vehicle," said Carl Rusnok, a spokesman for the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Dallas office. "These people were being smuggled and transported illegally.

"The question now is whether there is a larger smuggling operation behind this particular vehicle."

Seven people, including the driver, died Sunday when the 1998 Chevrolet Astro van hit a patch of ice along Interstate 40, slid across the center median and slammed into an oncoming tractor-trailer. The crash happened about 3:50 a.m., when there was limited visibility and freezing rain in the area.

The van was heading from Nogales, Ariz., to North Carolina, along what Rusnok described as a common smuggling route.

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has not released the names of those killed in the crash.

Five other passengers were transported to the Great Plains Regional Medical Center in Elk City. At least one of the survivors was released and taken into federal custody, Rusnok said.

MadMonk
01-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I noticed it myself. When that story first broke, the absense of any reference to them being here legally or not stuck out like a sore thumb. We don't want to upset those who break our immigration laws now do we? :wink:

Martin
01-16-2007, 11:19 AM
my first thought was, '12 people in a minivan? how do you even get 12 people in a minivan?' then i read further and was like, 'ohhhhhhhhh.'

it's sad that people were injured and killed, and i feel for them and their families... but i highly doubt that the van was properly insured to cover the damages caused by its driver. it's not fair to the rest of us law abiding citizens. -M

SoonerDave
01-16-2007, 01:30 PM
It's not fair that those same illegals are probably going to start getting Social Security benefits, either, but that's the way it's going.

-SoonerDave

BailJumper
01-16-2007, 01:58 PM
It's not fair that those same illegals are probably going to start getting Social Security benefits, either, but that's the way it's going.

Ohhhh no, they stopped that. Illegals have to work a whole 6-months before they can start getting benefits. You and I?