View Full Version : What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Lauri101
11-28-2008, 04:35 AM
I forgot to mention awhile back that I called the chamber. I left my name and number, and NO ONE got back to me... pos.

My point exactly - unless you are a dues-paying member of the MWC C of C, they are not interested in feedback or concerns. Is OKC the same way?

It's not logical, if one were to look at a business model of the functions of a Chamber of Commerce. It'd be good to hear from a C of C leader, if one lurketh.

spaceannie54
12-03-2008, 10:21 PM
I think maybe an Incredible Pizza would be good.
Or offices, with a deli/coffee shop.
Whatcha think?

mmonroe
12-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Midwest City just seems unique. We don't have what other places have except what you find on 29th. Apparently, when you build one big box store, they come as a set.

oneforone
12-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I think Office Depot may be moving to 29th or at least somewhere new in MWC. A for lease sign went up in front of their store this week.

Yes, they are still open.

Bostonfan
12-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I think Office Depot may be moving to 29th or at least somewhere new in MWC. A for lease sign went up in front of their store this week.

If they are moving, probably would be 29th. Makes me wonder people have given up on the north side (reno area). Surprised ACE Hardware is still around.

oneforone
12-09-2008, 01:08 AM
If they are moving, probably would be 29th. Makes me wonder people have given up on the north side (reno area). Surprised ACE Hardware is still around.

Ace will hold their own. They have stores all over the place that on their own. I think they are intentionally placing their stores in neighborhoods. People are more likely to go there for quick home repairs before Home Depot or Lowes if the store is right around the corner from the house.

Redskin 70
12-10-2008, 10:48 PM

Nope, got your answer. Office Depot announced they are closing over 100 stores nation wide Thats to bad

Bloomberg.com: U.S. (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aEi0d2EC85IM&refer=us)

oneforone
12-11-2008, 01:48 AM
That does not necessarily mean that store is closing or moving. That store does stay fairly busy being it is the only office supply store in the MWC area.

Come to think of it, I think the for lease sign may be for the old Party Galaxy pad site they cleared after it burned down.

bombermwc
12-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Places like Ace survive because people go to it no matter where it is. It's not a "foot traffic" store. Same goes for Office Depot. You go where ever the building is. It would be a damned shame if that place closed though. I can count of Office Depot for having anything I ever need. It may be more expensive, but I don't have to go in Wally World, and they have computer parts Best Buy doesnt!

Lauri101
12-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Places like Ace survive because people go to it no matter where it is. It's not a "foot traffic" store. Same goes for Office Depot. You go where ever the building is. It would be a damned shame if that place closed though. I can count of Office Depot for having anything I ever need. It may be more expensive, but I don't have to go in Wally World, and they have computer parts Best Buy doesnt!

Amen to that! My dislike of Wally World will send me to more expensive places because my time is worth it! (Not to mention my mood - shopping at WalMart puts me in a bad mood!)

Bostonfan
12-23-2008, 06:19 PM
just went by the mall. Keep in mind, it's the night before Christmas Eve, and the place looked like it was closed. The only part that was lit up was Sears, and there were very few cars on that end. Seriously, the city needs to come in and take care of it once and for all. It's no longer just a sad place. It's now an eye sore and disgrace to the city. Acres of grass and weeds would look better.......

masonsmomma
12-23-2008, 10:50 PM
I was in there today. I went to Finish Line and the Game Stop but other than the 5 or 6 stores I don't think there is anything in there. I'm glad that we still have the finish line though, you can get really cheap prices!

bombermwc
12-24-2008, 07:25 AM
I was in there not long ago to go to Sears and Bath and Body Works...what's so weird is that it feels like all the stores are now concentrated on the Sears end....and they don't really even extend to the middle of the mall now. So we're talking what, 10 stores in the whole place now? I think they even had the lights off on the west end of the mall.

BULLDOZE THE SUCKER!

bombermwc
12-24-2008, 07:25 AM
But keep Sears somewhere in MWC please. You can't beat their tools and appliances.

LordGerald
12-24-2008, 09:21 AM
HPM needs to return to what it was back in the day. Prairie. It could be like Midwest City's little greenbelt.

Redskin 70
12-24-2008, 03:53 PM
But keep Sears somewhere in MWC please. You can't beat their tools and appliances.

I hear that Sears will be moving to the new building development at Sooner and I-40......................that would still be close enough

Bostonfan
12-24-2008, 04:15 PM
I hear that Sears will be moving to the new building development at Sooner and I-40......................that would still be close enough

Now that is interesting. Does that mean when they move, HPM will finally get shut down? I was under the impression Sears was staying no matter what.

bombermwc
12-26-2008, 10:38 AM
That's definitely an interesting point. They are the only thing keeping the place alive now. Once they move, you know the few stores left will find a new home outside of the mall. Bath and Body Works, Finish Line, and GNC would fit into any shopping center in MWC. All of them are smaller stores that don't really need anything special. Plus they are all places we'd go to no matter where they are located in MWC.

Moving to I-40 and Sooner would be the best thing Sears could do to escape the stigma of the mall. I think most shoppers of Sears would enjoy the location more because the store would be updated and could be redesigned to better fit the way Sears has converted more to hardware than clothing.

oneforone
12-27-2008, 12:06 AM
If Sears closes I predict the mall will close and be redeveloped as a new shopping center, business park or maybe even a new housing addition.

metro
12-29-2008, 08:00 AM
LC.tv is hoping to finally build out the former Dillards space they bought last year in the coming year. Maybe that will bring some new life to what's left of the mall.

bombermwc
12-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Ugh, can they just sell it so we can bulldoze the place please....

mmonroe
12-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah, Life Church beat out the smaller church who had a contract to buy the building, signed an agreement with the realtor and Hobby Lobby stores to purchase it, then the realtor sold it to Life Church and totally voiding the contractual agreement. What a crappy realtor. ****ty actually.

xknifexfight
12-29-2008, 08:03 PM
If Sears closes I predict the mall will close and be redeveloped as a new shopping center, business park or maybe even a new housing addition.

I can see it happening. we have the same thing happening with the mall where i live currently. stores are closing down and the mall is getting empty. seems like the only major stores are there(and sears is one since its an anchor store..more the same with hpm too..) here its like most stores are going to nashville.

if they do get rid of heritage...they should get rid of that whataburger too..their service has always been bad :)

etool782
12-29-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm naturally suspicious of anything classified as a church that calls itself a "campus."

The whole production is reminiscent of car dealership infomercials that run on weekend afternoons.

bombermwc
12-30-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm not a big lifechurch fan either, but hey if it brings folks to church, i'm all for it. Different things work for different people.

This particular deal is very un-christian like though. To steal a building right out from under another congregation. That's completely asshole-ish. Minus a billion points to lifechurch for that one. And what, are the other locations around town not good enough for their own real buildings? Southside is in the freaking Builders Square for crying out loud....now Dillard's.....come on.

mmonroe
12-31-2008, 02:37 AM
Yeah, I do keep bringing that fact up about LC stealing Dilliards, but it erks me still... I can't believe they would do that. I'd like to meet the guy who decides these things. jerk.

Martin
12-31-2008, 05:32 AM
to steal a building right out from under another congregation.

i'm not up to speed on that... who did they 'steal' it from? -M

bombermwc
12-31-2008, 02:09 PM
If I remember it right, wasn't it the church that was inside the mall for a number of years? I think they were in the old Lerner across from the old Radio Shack.

BricktownGuy
01-04-2009, 06:29 AM
I think the Heritage site has been consider by several developers as a mixed use site.

bombermwc
01-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I hear some folks talking the other day about converting it to office space. It's probably the best solution you could have. Honestly, the building itself is in great condition. It's been used so lightly that there's not much wear and tear on it! LOL! So it could convert to office space pretty easily. We've been in need of honest to goodness just office space on the east side for some time now. People keep building those stupid house-like office buildings and strip malls. Obviously the need is there, we just can't find anyone with enough vision to do what they should....make office space!

So buy the sucker up, get some office tenants (doctor's offices, lawyers, whatever). Next you'll see a food court come back to life to serve those that work inside.

Lauri101
01-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I wish I could talk GSA into leasing the space for our office.

IRS "customers" are ill-served by having to search for almost non-existent parking downtown and risk getting towed if they don't get back in time. Handicapped folks have an even harder time.
And since the IRS won't pay for employee parking, moving to a large ex-retail mall would be a win-win. Heck - I bet the space would be cheaper than the pricey CBD property.

mmonroe
01-07-2009, 06:59 AM
i'm not up to speed on that... who did they 'steal' it from? -M

LC stole it from the smaller church inside the mall called New Life Church. They had deals with Hobby Lobby to purchase the property and then resell it back to the church for $1. A week before they were to purchase, contracts already signed, the broker turned around, sold his soul to the devil for a small commission and gave it to LC. Bastards.

bombermwc
01-07-2009, 08:28 AM
And then Life Church pretends to be a good christian group, all the while stealing property out from under another church.

Drake
01-07-2009, 10:13 AM
LC stole it from the smaller church inside the mall called New Life Church. They had deals with Hobby Lobby to purchase the property and then resell it back to the church for $1. A week before they were to purchase, contracts already signed, the broker turned around, sold his soul to the devil for a small commission and gave it to LC. Bastards.

I admit I have no knowledge of this particular situation, but that doesn't sound like the whole story. There are legal ramifications to backing out of contract if all obligations have been met.

Plus, it wouldn't be the brokers call. It would be up to the seller to decide to break the contract or not. If the broker has it listed he is going to get paid regardless. Now he might advise his seller that a better offer has come in and seller may choose to act on it.

I would suspect that the buyer had given some reason or "out" to the seller that they would be able to void the contract and move on to a more capable buyer.

Thunder
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
What does Hobby Lobby have to do with the mall?

Ashley+3
03-29-2009, 12:34 AM
If Sears moves to the new DC shopping center New Life Church could always buy that property....assuming they are still in need.

ewoodard
03-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I talked to a Sears manager at the mall this past weekend and he said they are not moveing and they own that section of the building. So I don't see them moving to the new DC development.

TaoMaas
03-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Man, I wish they'd do SOMETHING with Heritage Park Mall. It's near my house and I'd love to have more shopping options in the area.

woodyrr
05-22-2009, 05:02 PM
I went to Heritage Park Mall this afternoon for the first time in over a year - maybe two. The empty parking lot should have been a clue, but when I reached center court, I was nothing short of speechless. <Redacted by Author>. Although I didn't wander throughout the mall, I went to Bath and Body Works and it was literally one of the only places left open. The endless darkened hallways lined with shuttered spaces was downright sobering.

Heritage Park Mall was opened my senior year of High School just four years after Crossroads Mall. During that time, Saturday Night Live had a recurring skit about a pet store in a shopping mall that was a victim of the economic malaise that was gripping the country during the late 1970s. I didn't pay too much attention since here in central Oklahoma things weren't as bad as they were elsewhere. Crossroads was bustling, Heritage Park Mall was new and we had just learned that General Motors had announced the construction of a state of the art assembly plant south of Tinker.

I don't have a preference as to what they do with the mall, but if it were my responsibility, I wouldn't be able to sleep soundly at night until I took some kind of action to either fill it with something useful or encourage the remaining tenants to vacate so that I could lock the doors.

bombermwc
05-26-2009, 07:08 AM
I was thinking about this when I was at Sears the other day. I don't really remember the last time I was many people buying clothes at Sears but just in case, I had 2 ideas. The main idea is what can we do to vacate the building to make it ready for a new use.

1 - Take Sears out and put it in the old Wal Mart. This would put Sears in a similar square foot building. They already have the auto garage and plenty room for all the stuff the have now.

2 - Put Sears in the old Albertsons....convert it to a Tools/Appliances/Auto/Electronics only facility. Toss the clothes and other stuff. Do people buy this stuff at Sears anymore?

So this way we utilize the other structures near by that have been empty. It also leaves HPM empty for conversion to office space.....something MWC is in need of. If you don't think so, just drive around and check out how many of those awful little house-like single use office buildings are going in everywhere. They are such a horrible and inefficient use of land and resources. The municipal offices could move in and vacate their old strucutre at Reno/Midwest. That would give the Police Dept. room to expand. We've seen how the Fire Dept. has been given the resources to do so, why not give the Police the same?

HPM as a building is in GREAT shape. It just needs some freaking bodies inside. The stores that are left can go in any strip mall in town. When people know where they are, they'll go shopt here. IE, no matter where Bath and Body Works moves to, people will drive to it. Throw in some eateries in the center and make it into an actual food court and then the folks that work in the offices inside, have a place to eat.

Bostonfan
05-30-2009, 06:40 AM
It's shocking to me that nothing has been done to HPM. What are the owners waiting on? This mall has been gone for years, yet you don't hear a peep from them. They can't be making money, can they?

Also, something needs to be done with the old Target/WalMart/Albertson's buildings. What an eyesore. Any word on this??

And Bomber, good ideas there, but I don't think Sears is going to make that move. If they leave, they leave the area. Why would they move a mile to a worse location? Reno/Midwest Blvd. is quite bare nowadays.

fromdust
05-30-2009, 09:30 AM
looks like they are going to renovate the mall.Heritage Park Mall | Shop on the Edge of Midwest City (http://www.freewebs.com/heritageparkmall/)

CuatrodeMayo
05-30-2009, 10:47 AM
That looks pretty awful.

I am pretty sure I have seen that rendering for quite a while here and there...a pipe dream, I think.

Lauri101
05-30-2009, 11:49 AM
That was posted about two years ago - and two owners ago, I believe

It is so ugly, it'd be embarassing - glad it didn't happen!

Thunder
05-30-2009, 12:00 PM
OMG, that shocked me! :omg:

What if they are still planning to do that? If this was updated on the site 2 years ago, then why doesn't it list Dillards as an anchor? Looks up to date to me.

gmwise
05-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I was wondering who the heck owns HPM?
And with the GM troubles is the news they're building a new line in oklahoma still on?

andimthomas
06-02-2009, 06:11 AM
God, that thing is hideous.

mireaux
06-09-2009, 09:01 AM
residential? no..theres no point in building new homes if theres no real jobs to be had within a key given radius. gm is gone, and tinker isnt what it was.

shopping? doubtful..at least not at this point. the new shopping center at 29th and air depot is too close in proximity for another to be erected.

i think the mwc area is in dire new of a new theatre.so they could build like a 16 screen theatre there. the closest ones currently are the ones by crossroads mall (another mall on the way to being defunct as well)

personally, id bulldoze the land and build an ornate japanese garden complete with a small pond spanned over with a moon bridge.

mireaux
06-09-2009, 05:26 PM
id renovate it to restore it with all the anchors it had back in the mid 1980's..when the mall was at its height of its success.

so1rfan
06-11-2009, 10:25 PM
I drove by the mall today and I wonder how long will it be before the city makes them mow. The upkeep on the property must be non existant. They have weeds growing in the cracks in the parking lots. The place looked like an abandoned house.

oneforone
06-11-2009, 10:51 PM
I drove by the mall today and I wonder how long will it be before the city makes them mow. The upkeep on the property must be non existant. They have weeds growing in the cracks in the parking lots. The place looked like an abandoned house.

The Sears store does pretty good thier. The wife has been working there for 3 months and makes good money on comission.

I will agree they need to mow the lawn and tow all of the junk cars on the back side of the mall. There is a retired OCPD patrol car that has been there for months. The driver's side window is busted out and a wheel is missing.

okcustu
06-16-2009, 08:59 PM
they actually had the nerve to print up brochures and distribute them as far as Tulsa, embarrassing. It just needs to be razed; malls, in most cases aren't as profitable.

mmonroe
06-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Apparently, the City of Midwest City has stepped in to help with getting HP moving in a direction, whatever that direction might be.

kay
06-19-2009, 12:23 AM
More information here please? How is MWC stepping in to help mmonroe? And okcustu who distributed pamphlets?

okcustu
06-19-2009, 10:50 PM
I guess the new owners, it was maybe two years ago. It had the fugly renovations that never happened.

mmonroe
06-25-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm friends with a gamestop employee. Stop by HPM and ask them what they know about the City stepping in. 2nd, I remember what you're talking about okcustu, I remember the ugly yellow.... a blight in a community. Very befitting if we were in mexico and bright colors were a common building standard. Those renderings made me sick. I do believe they are still hanging up on the walls near the center entrance to the mall.

oneforone
06-26-2009, 04:23 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/heritageparkmall/3-20-06%20Mall%20Entry.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/heritageparkmall/3-20-06%20render%2010.JPG

Bostonfan
06-26-2009, 05:16 PM
That's about the number of cars that would be in the parking lot.

Luke
06-26-2009, 07:50 PM
I lol-ed for real.

If someone actually paid someone else to do those renderings, I need to get in that business.

scootinger
07-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Heritage Park Mall for sale, owners asking $4.5M for main 211K square foot building.

Heritage Park Mall for sale (http://blogs.journalrecord.com/persquarefoot/2009/07/06/heritage-park-mall-for-sale/)