View Full Version : Bringing the nat'l conference for media reform to okc in '08

shunt
01-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Hey there, first post..just found out about this board!

Im stuck in Russelville, Arkansas right now...trying to drive back with some fellow okc "concerned citizen types" from the national conference for media reform in Memphis.... ck out some of the great footage, especially Bill Moyers keynote address @ Free Press NCMR: National Conference for Media Reform (http://www.freepress.net/conference)

I spoke quite a bit with the people who run the Conference For Media Reform an event which had 3,300 people from all over America attend im Memphis..after the prior one in the summer of '05 in STL had 2,100 and the one in Jan of '03 had 1,500 in Milwaukee...about next years conference being in Oklahoma City.

They were VERY interested in this. A> Its a good central location B> Tons of great conference space...cheap...nice hotels and C> OKlahoma in general is in dire need of media reform...if anything, and this is a NON PARTISAN CONCERn....With regards to local ownership of the so called local news channels (channel 4 is owned by the new york times???!!?!?!!?!?).

Im going to be working hard in the next month to try and come up with a good presentation to give to the people at freepress with regards to the next event being in OKC...I bet 5,000 would come and these are people with some SERIOUS cash...look at the list of people who attended the conference at Free Press NCMR: National Conference for Media Reform (http://www.freepress.net/conference) and understand why....

Another cool thing, different topic is that I spoke with FCC commissoner Jonathon Addelstein and he is interested in coming to OKC really soon with commissioner Copps to have a sort of town hall meeting...I think it could easily be done at the history museum, a girl who works there came along with me on this trip and would make it readily available..you fubes outa come ck that out when it happens.

anyway, if you know of some people who I could talk to with regards to bringing some big $$$ to okc next year, let me know....

metro
01-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Sounds good. It would be a welcome conference IMO and the media here definitely needs reformed. Please push hard for the conference to come to OKC.

shunt
01-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Im on it...just need help. If you know of anyone that could offer some support for this please let me know. I really don't think it will be too hard to get them here, but it needs to happen fast. These people plan waaaaaay in advance for these things.

jbrown84
01-15-2007, 11:05 AM
You should contact to CVB. Having an inside connection you can help them land this thing.

windowphobe
01-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Incidentally, The New York Times is selling off its television stations, including channel 4 (and 43).

metro
01-15-2007, 07:10 PM
shunt, I'd be willing to help any way I can, I can also open some doors at the CVB but I'm sure they'd help you on your own as well. I can PM you some contact info there.

shunt
01-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Please do.

metro
01-16-2007, 12:35 PM
shunt, I sent you a PM with contact info for people at the CVB and the Greater OKC Chamber. Check with them and go from there. Also ksearls on this site would be a good person to know.

SoonerDave
01-16-2007, 12:52 PM
If you get an FCC person in OKC with a "town hall" topic, I'd love to hear some discussion about what I call "Abuse of discretion," in which local TV stations - particularly weathermen - engage in what I think is a defacto violation of the "license in the public trust" concept by overhyping - even into fear - people about severe weather warnings.

I believe this is an area ripe for review and would generate LOTS of discussion.

Just a suggestion.

-SoonerDave

shunt
01-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Copps and Addelstein want to do all 50 states this year, and I talked to Addelstein about okc and the history museum across from the capitol as a good spot to do it, so I think we need to just set it up and it will happen.

HFK
01-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Im stuck in Russelville, Arkansas right now...

There are definitely worse places to be: I spent a few weeks there in early '06, at a chain hotel whose name I've forgotten. Our Team managed to get some Suites, and I was blown away by the rooms: they were incredible. I liked the area, beatuifull country, fine people, and CHEAP land with trees and hills.

...ck out some of the great footage, especially Bill Moyers keynote address...

Moyers? Partisan hack extraordinaire, despite his hushed, smooth tones, and avuncular demeanor.

...OKlahoma in general is in dire need of media reform...

In what way? Metro, you concurred. What is it about our local media that needs reforming?

I'd agree that local media should focus on more serious coverage of issues and events, and step away from sensationalism and morbididty.

...and this is a NON PARTISAN CONCERn...

Huh? They're non-partisan but their Conference features Moyers, Jesse Jackson, Phil Donahue (if you don't think Donahue is a moonbat deluxe then listen to the first two minutes of that session), MoveOn, Center for Media and Democracy, on and on and on... I reviewed the conference schedule and I was unable to find a single Conservative Speaker, Moderator, or participant.

Freepress might claim to be non-partisan but in practice it is an advocacy group that promotes left wing causes. And that's OK. What's not OK is claiming that Freepress is 'Non-Partisan'. It's anything but.

shunt
01-16-2007, 04:43 PM
oh hello! nice to meet you!

metro
01-16-2007, 08:53 PM
well if it's not truly non-partisan then I don't know if I support it

In what way? Metro, you concurred. What is it about our local media that needs reforming?

I'd agree that local media should focus on more serious coverage of issues and events, and step away from sensationalism and morbididty.

you were quoting someone elses post, however yes I agreed with SOME of what they were saying about media reform. Yes, the media in this town needs reforming. With Gaylord interests in nearly every media outlet, the media is completely biased and focuses too much on the non-issues like minor car wrecks or fluffy the dog jumping through a hula-hoop. There is hardly any investigative journalism, the fact that no one has dug deep into the OCURA practices and other good old boy networks is amazing.

SoonerDave
01-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Oh, brother, if that's their idea of non-partisan, pardon me while I laugh out loud....

* sigh*

-SoonerDave

shunt
01-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Sinclair Broadcast Group owned FOX 25 airs more fake news stories (video news releases) Still Not the News: Stations Overwhelmingly Fail to Disclose VNRs - Center for Media and Democracy (http://www.prwatch.org/fakenews2/execsummary) than any station in America. This is concerning and if Republicans don't think it is..then I would be shocked. Im not talking about Republican hot shots who make policy, but everyday working people Republicans.

jbrown84
01-18-2007, 05:32 PM
That doesn't surprise me at all. FOX 25 News is joke. An absolute joke.

Spartan
01-18-2007, 11:23 PM
You should contact to CVB. Having an inside connection you can help them land this thing.

If this is a serious convention then the CVB is already on it. What the CVB does is put in the dimensions of our convention facilities, like the Cox is one, and then there's this database that spits out every single convention that we can host. Then the workload is split up, the conventions that we really want are assigned sales representatives who work on the project and bring it to OKC.

P.S. Shunt, what is the relevance of the pot shots your taking at Republicans? I don't see how Republicans have anything to do with FOX 25, but if you do, feel free to enlighten me, or else, shunt up. hehe...

shunt
01-19-2007, 03:55 PM
What are you talking about? Copy 'n paste my pot shot please then I will respond.

shunt
02-07-2007, 08:24 PM
exactly

shunt
02-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Here is a great site to look at daily so as to know just how bad The Oklahoman is....compare 'n contrast

Newseum | Today's Front Pages | Map View (http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/flash/default.asp)

jbrown84
02-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Okay, so you don't like their front page design, or what?

SpectralMourning
02-13-2007, 01:50 PM
I think the Oklahoman gives some good information, I mean, who will win the Super Bowl of dog shows?

Really though, I'm more concerned with our local infotainment television news. Every time I see a weather forecast, I want to rip my hair out...

AmyOKC
01-20-2008, 11:56 AM
If this is a serious convention then the CVB is already on it. What the CVB does is put in the dimensions of our convention facilities, like the Cox is one, and then there's this database that spits out every single convention that we can host. Then the workload is split up, the conventions that we really want are assigned sales representatives who work on the project and bring it to OKC.

P.S. Shunt, what is the relevance of the pot shots your taking at Republicans? I don't see how Republicans have anything to do with FOX 25, but if you do, feel free to enlighten me, or else, shunt up. hehe...

I didn't see any pot shots being taken at the GOP - and trust me, I have a pretty good radar for that :-) I was at a fund-raising dinner here in the city for Reagan when I was in 5th grade - 'been eating cold beans and drinking bad iced tea for that party for a while!

soonerguru
01-20-2008, 04:09 PM
It's true that Sinclair Broadcasting is a hack GOP front, as is Clear Channel. FOX 25 is owned by Sinclair.

That is not to say that the local news producers are GOP hacks.