View Full Version : Risk the drive Monday or stay home?

pepper37
01-14-2007, 09:02 PM
I have not been outside of the house since Friday night and am out in Deer Creek/Edmond off the beaten snow route path. Other than watching my daughter slide around in our front yard like an ice skating rink, I have not a clue what the roads are really like....other than what i have seen on news stations. I would like to go to work tomorrow (dowtown), but don't want to break my neck getting there. For those of you who have been "out and about" late today is it worth a PTO day to suck it up and get out there? Appreciate hearing what everyone thinks!

MadMonk
01-15-2007, 05:27 AM
I was getting cabin fever after two days so I went out and drove around a bit yesterday. The roads were sometimes packed, sometimes slushy and I had no trouble getting around (but I drive a 4WD Jeep). I saw plenty of cars driving around and they didn't seem to be having any trouble. Just take it slow and easy and I think you'd be okay.

Jack Wonder
01-15-2007, 07:50 AM
NW Expy looks like a wintery slope as the sun was rising over the roads this morning,

But I didn't get the call to stay home so I knew I had to come in to work!

Karried
01-15-2007, 07:55 AM
There shouldn't be too many people out because of the holiday.. just go extremely slooowwwwww - most neighborhoods aren't salted or cleared as far as I know.

BailJumper
01-15-2007, 08:05 AM
I had to get out about 6am. I took the extra car (just in case) and had no problems at all. I wouldn't drive over 30 in many places nor hit the brakes real hard, but once again, the weathermen are preaching to the lowest denominator.

OUman
01-15-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm working part time, but if you work late like I do, black ice is the main concern. All that melting during the day today will be of no use once the sun goes down. All that's melted will almost immediately re-freeze, and black ice at nighttime is not what you want to be driving over. I'm going to stay at home for tonight if I can. Especially after driving home on Friday and experiencing highly impatient drivers who thought going at 25 was just too slow and decided to come up to my rear bumper just to get me to go faster.

Jack Wonder
01-15-2007, 12:53 PM
I had to get out about 6am. I took the extra car (just in case) and had no problems at all. I wouldn't drive over 30 in many places nor hit the brakes real hard, but once again, the weathermen are preaching to the lowest denominator.

LOL! They went OVER-AND-ABOVE at Overshooting the severity!

...Ratings Tactic for some, Sensationalistic Weather-Journalism for others.

OUman
01-15-2007, 01:30 PM
LOL! They went OVER-AND-ABOVE at Overshooting the severity!

...Ratings Tactic for some, Sensationalistic Weather-Journalism for others.

Tell that to the folks in eastern OK. Nothing sensationalistic about it, even here I saw first hand on Friday how bad just sleet can be. Only if you drive like you're supposed to, it's ok and doesn't appear to be that bad, but I saw drivers who didn't take it seriously and nearly ended up skidding and causing an accident. Even this morning, the guy who lives across the street from me took the turn leading into my street way too fast for the conditions, and not surprisingly spun out.

I for one don't understand why people don't appreciate the great weather coverage you get here. People from CA and other states don't get that great coverage and so when they come here they always have nice things to say about it. Granted, sometimes even I wonder if some of the reporters out there are being out there for their own glory or actually to keep people safe, but this was no small storm.

Keith
01-15-2007, 01:35 PM
I've been out driving in south OKC most of the morning, and I really haven't had any problems. The snow routes (which you can find at City of Oklahoma City | News (http://www.okc.gov)), are pretty clear, however, the other streets still have quite a bit of slush and ice on them.

If everyone will just slow down and make sure there is plenty of space between your car and the car ahead of you, then you will not have any problems. The accidents that are happening are caused by very stupid, ignorant, people.

Tonight, everything that thawed will re-freeze, so rush hour traffic in the morning should be interesting. I'm glad I leave around 6:15 in the morning to go to work. I won't have to deal with all the idiots.

bandnerd
01-15-2007, 01:53 PM
A student of mine today told me on the IM that he got his car stuck near his neighborhood and had a person in an SUV pull him out.

He was bored haha.

As for the weather coverage being sensationalized...did you not see the photos from Muskogee? Everything they said it was going to do, it did...just not quite exactly where they expected it. Which is normal for OK, and you all know it.

windowphobe
01-15-2007, 05:20 PM
My usual 17-minute run grew to 26 minutes, but I had no difficulties.

On the way back, the only real issue was getting up my driveway, which is a bit on the steep side.

Lauri101
01-15-2007, 05:32 PM
My biggest problem area is getting out of the neighborhood - I didn't even try today, since it was a holiday.

I did chip about 3 inches of ice off of my car. The driveway is packed about that high also.

Decision for tomorrow was easy - $1000 deductible, 250 hours of annual leave in the bank, no meetings scheduled = I'm staying home tomorrow!:Smiley236

pepper37
01-15-2007, 06:52 PM
You are all tough as nails! I decided to do as Lauri101 and stay home. It is 30 minutes on a clear day and I am about 8 miles from the nearest snow route, so I decided not to risk it. Tomorrow is another story - I will definitely be out among the masses and promise not to ride anyone's rear bumper ;)