View Full Version : CNN Headline News aahhgg

Karried
01-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Why? Just why?

The one pic they keep showing repeatedly of OKC and the ice storm, and it looks like crap.

They are showing an old decrepid beat up car sliding down a muddy icy street and the area looks barren and old and dirty.. and of course, it says Oklahoma City! aaahhhgggggg!!!!! Of course, nationwide coverage.

Just once today, I wish they would show a nice picture of our city - maybe Bricktown or the skyline or something worthwhile!

Well, at least I have power to watch CNN and complain about it! :Smiley124

I wonder if we can send them a link to our videos on NewsOK? Anyone else catch the video on CNN?

okcpulse
01-14-2007, 10:05 AM
It's okay, Karried. MSNBC showed Lake Hefner Parkway and I-44 when the storm hit on Friday. And, I watched the Hornets game down here on ESPN. Commentators were complementary about OKC, even though it was nitrogen cold up there.

My big concern is Houston. We're expecting sleet on Tuesday. Not a good situation. Everyone here tells me the city is incapacitated anytime an ice storm hits.

fromdust
01-14-2007, 11:18 AM
i know no one watches fox news, but they have been covering us for 2 days. i-40 and a great shot of downtown. suck it up and check them out.

mranderson
01-14-2007, 12:01 PM
i know no one watches fox news, but they have been covering us for 2 days. i-40 and a great shot of downtown. suck it up and check them out.

So. What you are saying is out of the 260 million people (or more) in the United States, not ONE of them watches Fox News? Funny. I am watching it as I write this, thus disproving your statement.

Luke
01-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Actually, Fox News is more watched than any of the other cable news channels.

soonerliberal
01-14-2007, 12:19 PM
I think what he was saying is that not many on this forum watch Fox News. Dont get your panties all in a twist.

Luke
01-14-2007, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't have guessed that most people on this forum don't watch Fox News. And apparently YOU shouldn't get your panties in a wad.

mranderson
01-14-2007, 12:28 PM
I think what he was saying is that not many on this forum watch Fox News. Dont get your panties all in a twist.

Then that is the way he should have said it. "No one" means every living being on the planet, not just a select group.

And one more thing. I do not wear panties. I am a man, not a woman.

metro
01-14-2007, 01:51 PM
So. What you are saying is out of the 260 million people (or more) in the United States, not ONE of them watches Fox News? Funny. I am watching it as I write this, thus disproving your statement.

Actually I enjoy Fox News most of the time. And FYI, there are over 300+ million people in the U.S. now. The 300 millionth American was born a few months ago. A political expert should know that.

Karried
01-14-2007, 02:06 PM
I watch Fox every day... as well as CNN and MSNBC... but thanks for the tip.. I did see the nice shot of downtown..

Kerry
01-14-2007, 04:49 PM
They are showing an old decrepid beat up car sliding down a muddy icy street and the area looks barren and old and dirty.. and of course, it says Oklahoma City! aaahhhgggggg!!!!! Of course, nationwide coverage.

So why do you keep watching CNN? If they can't get simple things right - why do you trust them with the important things?

Karried
01-14-2007, 05:14 PM
CNN didn't get it wrong.. it was in OKC.. they just showed an area that didn't represent OKC in the best light . I wish they had found a spot that depicted some of the growth and strides the city has made since it was nationally televised.

Kerry
01-14-2007, 05:25 PM
They showed OKC to be some kind of hillbilly operation. How is that getting it right? And how do you know it was OKC not some place like Gutherie or Kingfisher but with an OKC tag line. If that is the case then they did get it wrong.

Karried
01-14-2007, 06:06 PM
They showed OKC to be some kind of hillbilly operation. How is that getting it right?

Unfortunately, there are some areas of OKC that are as you described.. and unfortunately CNN had video coverage of said area - they did nothing wrong .. my point was I wish just once the media could portray this city in the positive light that it deserves.

okcpulse
01-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Seriously, people, there is no need to turn this into a semantic argument. mranderson, sometimes you remind me of George Carlin. And I mean that in a good way.

OUman
01-14-2007, 07:07 PM
And since when did showing "correct" footage during coverage of an ice storm matter this much? If CNN or any other network for that matter shows Springfied, MO and it's a barren area with a muddy, icy road, I'm more concerned with what's happening to the people out there, not what image of Springfield I get. I'm sure it's the same way with most people in this country.

Karried
01-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Yeah, you're probably right. I just wish that out of all of the hundreds of clips they could have shown it wouldn't be the one perpetrating the negative stereotypes of OK. We have so much to offer in this state and many people will never visit here.. all they know is what they see on TV sometimes.. and if all they see is what I saw today, it's not accurate and it 's frustrating.

Regardless, it's not worth arguing over anyway..

Kerry
01-14-2007, 08:17 PM
You are correct Karried. If they have to put something on the screen - at least have it be respectable.

HOT ROD
01-14-2007, 09:14 PM
the pics they showed of other cities were urban or at least not as bad as those for OKC. (well, except Kansas). I thought the Weather Channel did well - yes, I watch it whenever there is weather issues in OK or here.

On the weather channel, they showed pics of downtown but did not write or say it was OKC. I was furious on the coverage they gave Tulsa tho, even have them on the national/regional forecast. ...

But they do ALWAYS talk about OKC with Dallas and Houston as the big regional cities there even if Tulsa is the one listed on the map. And it was nice to see the shots of downtown (I hadn't seen it since Chase was "updated") but it would have been better if they had "Downtown Oklahoma City" tag line below the shot.

I can only imagine and hope that as downtown OKC becomes more populated there will be more "urban/hip" shots of the city - as OKC does have interesting weather regularly and gets LOTS of coverage nationwide.

jbrown84
01-15-2007, 08:15 AM
I can understand the Weather Channel, but why has this been such big news on Fox and CNN?

fromdust
01-15-2007, 08:18 PM
soonerlibs right. i meant the people on this forum probably didnt watch fox. i didnt think saying that would get people all worked up over this. wait, wait ... i didnt mean people i meant mr. anderson. there, i know how you get worked up over the little details.
my apologies since i was talking to the people on this forum that it was implied that " no one" meant the people on here. geez, this is why i dont get on this much anymore. people are waaaaay to serious.