View Full Version : Weather Reporters

Karried
01-12-2007, 06:52 AM
"Extended Coverage in Preparation for the Possible Upcoming ICE Storm!"

Not a drop in sight but the weathermen are practically foaming at the mouth in anticipation. Can't they at least wait for an icicle to form? lol

I realize they love this stuff but come on.. I want to see anything other than the anticipated 'ice storm' every single minute of today..

I've already heard about it all week and now it's on every news cast superseding all other programs.

I know we'll have 48 hours running straight of pics of freezing reporters on overpasses and bridges. We get it. We don't need to have a minute by minute update on the condition of every county across the state.. sigh..

I appreciate the coverage.. to a certain extent. 24 hours a day is a little overkill in my opinion.

What was interesting is that yesterday at Sam's club I saw at least 10 people buying those giant Generators.. at about $600 or more depending on the model. This was on Memorial where I doubt we will be having a problem with long periods of no electricity..
On our topic of merchant policy, a clerk there said they changed the return policy on the generators because people had been buying them, using them and returning them after the storm..

Jack Wonder
01-12-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm so frustrated about the prospect of having no electricity this weekend!

I don't want to miss any of the NFL PLAYOFFS!!?!?!!?!

Will OG+E even make an effort during the weekend to restore power???

drumsncode
01-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Actually, this may be the best TV viewing we will get until American Idol comes on in a week. Sadly, you are going to see that many Oklahomans don't "get it" when it comes to weather and safety. There will be car wrecks galore with, of course, those wonderful shots of a cute reporter shivering in the cold.

Kudos to Rick Mitchell for being on KOCO this morning while Gary England is home asleep. It's the kind of dedication I've noticed from the whole KOCO team over the past year. They also brought their weather information up to the forefront on their website.

You watched the Fiesta Bowl. Now it's time to watch the Ice Bowl. It's early in the first quarter and the score is:
Rick Mitchell 3
Gary England 0

PUGalicious
01-12-2007, 09:26 AM
And it turns out that Rick Mitchell was right about the timing while Gary England and Mike Morgan were wrong.

Karried
01-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I have to stand corrected... we weren't expecting this until the afternoon! I can't even get a call into the kid's schools to find out if they are closing early.. I'm going to go get them.. I won't drive in the ice.. thankfully, hubby has a 4x4 so we can go pick them up early.

Deadly wreck on NW 10 and 44 ... everyone, be careful out there. .

SLOW DOWN!! Nothing is that important, nothing.

Jack Wonder
01-12-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm so upset. We have PRIMO tickets to the Red Hot Chili Peppers' concert tonight!

I just heard on the radio that the concert's still a go, but I've already been out and about for work today, and the roads are HORRIBLE!

These tickets are too expensive to just let pass by, but I think it's gonna be a rough one tonight and this weekend.

Karried
01-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Yeah, my nephews and neices have tickets also. I think they should reschedule:

"The Red Hot Chili Peppers/Gnarls Barkley concert scheduled for 7:30 p.m. today at the Cox Business Services Convention Center is still on schedule despite icy conditions. According to Kim Ransford, communications manager for the convention center, the bands are in town and the event is expected to begin as planned.

For more information, call 602-8700."

drumsncode
01-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Boos and hisses to the school systems for having school today at all. They let everyone go to school, then it hits the fan and all the parents have to risk life and limb (and expensive automobiles) to "rescue" their kids from school.

Extra kudos again to KOCO. They had their prime-time anchors in, broadcasting by 1pm. Gary England finally went on-air about 1pm.

That makes the score at the end of the first quarter:
KOCO 10
KWTV 3

Game summary so far:

Rick Mitchell scores a field goal by showing up early.
Jessica and Tyler on the air by 1pm, touchdown and the extra point is good.

Gary England scores a field goal by going on-air at 1pm.

Now we'll see if the KOCO offense can stay on the field all day. I suspect they can. We're talking about the same team that comes in on Sunday nights during sweeps, while competing teams are sitting at home.

ksearls
01-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Yep, we have Chili Peppers tickets too. I paid too much to miss this show! Hope we can make it. Also, tonight the Hornets play live on ESPN from the Ford Center. Hate for those empty seats to show up in national TV.

Kim

Luke
01-12-2007, 02:00 PM
KOCO definitely winning the Ice war.

Karried
01-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Boos and hisses to the school systems for having school today at all.

I have to agree with you. It was pretty hectic. I picked mine up early but was on pins and needles wondering if I should pick them up or not! The only reason I didn't go earlier is because I knew they had big tests. But, when I got there, my oldest was the last one left in his class and my youngest only had 4 kids left.

All day it said School's Open but Parents are welcome to pick up anytime.

If I had known it was going to be like this, I would never have sent them in the first place.

all the parents have to risk life and limb (and expensive automobiles) to "rescue" their kids from school.

You are right, it is dangerous for parents picking up in these conditions.
I was seeing some cars slipping and sliding around.. very scary. We have a huge truck (4x4 Ford F350 Lifted Extended Cab Longbed Deisel Lariat lol.. whatever all that means I don't know! ).. and we were sliding a bit too so I feel sorry for the cars with no traction help. If hubby wasn't home to go get them and I had to drive myself they would still be at school, ha,ha! I never would have sent them initially. I'm scared to drive on the ice.

I know my vehicle wouldn't do well on the ice and I don't trust the other people sliding around either.

Yeah, Rick said it would! and he's not letting us forget it either ..lol

metro
01-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Karried, keep in mind that the storm hits other parts of the state, Western and the Panhandle hours before it hits here. Several of those towns are in our TV viewing market. Plus, as someone said, many people are just ignorant and idiots in this weather. I had 2 cars cut me off today at the last second but they had a few hundred yards before I got to them. They decided to pull out into traffic in front of me right as I approached. Go figure. But I understand your frustration though.

windowphobe
01-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I left work between 11 and 12; I had no travel problems other than those caused by Those Other Idiots On The Road, and my commute is a little over ten and a half miles.

Apparently this first round was a lot less freezing rain and a lot more sleet, which is not that much of an improvement for motorists; your power lines, though, will appreciate it.

drumsncode
01-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Though it pains me to say so, KWTV made a nice comeback starting at 4pm. They brought in the big guns, and put Melissa Maynarich into the role of "Snow Bunny" which believe me, she fills very well. Now that I think of it, they kicked Alex Cameron out into the cold too. It was as if Kelly and Amy were saying "Scoot over guys, let the pros handle it." By doing that, they had two more reporters out in the field, and got their A-team on the air.

Thankfully, after 14 hours on air, everyone took a break.
It took 14 hours to tell us: The weather is really bad, try to stay inside.

As Karried said "We get it". :-)

bandnerd
01-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Okay, here's the deal with the schools.

We have already missed two days for weather. Most schools are looking at going until after Memorial Day if any more days are added.

If school is in session, and they serve a lunch, then they are considered open "all day" even if they close right after. So no snow day is counted.

I know it's hard, but really, this morning it was fine. You're griping about the weathermen foaming at the mouth when nothing has happened....we can't close schools just because of the possibility of ice. It could have done nothing at all, and you all know that. It would have been a wasted snow day.

Just my 2cents. I know it's not worth much around here, but it's a teacher's perspective. WE have to drive in this crap, too, you know. And the principals. It's not just about YOU.

Luke
01-12-2007, 07:03 PM
As a fellow teacher, well said, Bandnerd!

dirtrider73068
01-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Actually, this may be the best TV viewing we will get until American Idol comes on in a week. Sadly, you are going to see that many Oklahomans don't "get it" when it comes to weather and safety. There will be car wrecks galore with, of course, those wonderful shots of a cute reporter shivering in the cold.

Kudos to Rick Mitchell for being on KOCO this morning while Gary England is home asleep. It's the kind of dedication I've noticed from the whole KOCO team over the past year. They also brought their weather information up to the forefront on their website.

You watched the Fiesta Bowl. Now it's time to watch the Ice Bowl. It's early in the first quarter and the score is:
Rick Mitchell 3
Gary England 0

And where is Rick mitchell at 10 or 12 midnight when a storm comes rolling in? Gary England is up and going at it keeping us up to date. KOCO in my opion sucks, I won't watch anythign but CH9 there news is better I think. And do keep in mind not all news casters or weather cast work the same shifts, they do have more than one weather caster Rick Mitchell or Gary England. As far as the reporters go thats what they get paid to do, if they are shivering cold then they need to find another line of work. These cold snaps, snow storms, ice storms, all happen the same way, no will ever get it because EVERY news station, makes it out to worse than what or will it will be, if nobody wants to see 24 hour tv or ice pictures adn videos then pick up the remote and change the channel.

dirtrider73068
01-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Okay, here's the deal with the schools.

We have already missed two days for weather. Most schools are looking at going until after Memorial Day if any more days are added.

If school is in session, and they serve a lunch, then they are considered open "all day" even if they close right after. So no snow day is counted.

I know it's hard, but really, this morning it was fine. You're griping about the weathermen foaming at the mouth when nothing has happened....we can't close schools just because of the possibility of ice. It could have done nothing at all, and you all know that. It would have been a wasted snow day.

Just my 2cents. I know it's not worth much around here, but it's a teacher's perspective. WE have to drive in this crap, too, you know. And the principals. It's not just about YOU.

Hands out for you teachers that go out in this stuff to teach class only for half a day. If people think its going to be bad keep the kids at home, instead of makeing them go. I have to work out in this crap, I don't gripe about it, I may be even called in over the 3 day weekend and pull 12 hour shifts to clean up tree limbs that fall down, has anybody thought about that, or the oge guys that are 30 feet in the air in buckets fixing the lines that are down so we have power in the fastest time. We need to keep these people in mind, I do, and hope them the best in these storms, forget the cute news reporters, or the nonstop pictures and videos of ice, I see it every time I look out the window, I just change the channel. Ok off my soapbox back the internet.

SOONER8693
01-12-2007, 08:44 PM
KUDOS to bandnerd.

Keith
01-12-2007, 08:54 PM
I was at work at 6:45 this morning, so I missed driving in the bad weather. Since I work in emergency services, it is my responsibility to keep the crews informed about the weather conditions. I don't have a choice as to what TV channel I watch, because I am in an all metal building. Channel 9 is the only channel that I can get a clear picture on. So, I keep one ear on the TV and the other ear listening to the police and EMSA calls on my scanner.

It was interesting and sometimes comical to watch some of these reporters reporting the same old thing over and over again. You could tell as the afternoon wore on that the reporters were running out of things to say. I was really surprised that they had all day coverage. They were expecting lots of freezing rain and a big mess, and they didn't get it. I actually think they were dissappointed that the really bad stuff didn't hit. Each time I watched a reporter, I wondered just how much closer they would get to the road before something would happen to them.

Anyway, after working 13 hours today, I started my truck and headed home. The streets were slick in some spots but they weren't that bad. The bridges were in pretty decent shape, and I saw several sand trucks out on the road. It was amazing though, because Arby's, Sonic, and several other fast food places were closed. I headed over to Hollywood Video to rent some videos for the weekend. I figure I will spend most of the weekend inside unless I get called in to work. Tomorrow, I am doing a ride-along with the firefighters from station #19. I will be responding with them on each emergency call they get dispatched to. I figure tomorrows weather will be worse, and that there will be more accidents and more accidental falls.

bandnerd
01-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Thank you. I get frustrated when people gripe about such silly things. Yes, it's an inconvenience...but not just for you.

We can't change the weather, nor can we change our policies. I don't want to be in school until June. I don't think your kids want to be there that long, either. From the looks of my myspace, they all got home safely, and so did I, and I believe all our teachers got home safely, as well.

I'm expecting it to get worse tomorrow. They always said Saturday was going to be the worst, anyway. Yesterday I was speaking with the teachers at my school and they were all skeptical that it was even going to do anything today. I told them I thought it would...too many weather stations were on the same model.

To them I say: Ha! I was right. Some people owe me favors now for reasons that are too long to list here. But I just had to say it: I was right.

Stay safe, everyone.

Ginkasa
01-12-2007, 11:22 PM
I don't think people griping about the weather and schools not being closed is any worse than griping about their griping...

bandnerd
01-13-2007, 08:25 AM
And how was I griping? I considered myself to be making a point, but I'm sure that my point could be perceived as something it wasn't.

It wouldn't be the first time I was misunderstood on this board.

Easy180
01-13-2007, 08:25 AM
I don't think people griping about the weather and schools not being closed is any worse than griping about their griping...

Or griping about people griping about those who are griping

Keith
01-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Ok, this is a place to gripe and give our opinions, so let's play nice and keep this thread clean.

bandnerd
01-13-2007, 08:33 AM
I was.

wheeler
01-13-2007, 09:13 AM
We have to forgive Gary England--He is getting up in years and needs his sleep. I understand this because I am in that same boat!!! Being an old retired bird I was cosied in with a roaring fire, dripping faucets, piles of candles, good books and movies. There are SOME advantages to being of a certain age!

I watched KOCO all day and was very impressed at their coverage and their ability and effort to make the day interesting as well as informative. Rick held the fort down while all the elves braved the elements to keep us up to date on what was going on everywhere about the metro and outlying area. I was able keep my family (not as old and lucky as me) informed about roads and predictions. Kudos to them. I thought it was especially creative to ask the viewers to send pictures and videos of conditions wherever they were. Kept me from getting bored with coverage and let us know that none of us were alone in the miserable weather.

redredwine
01-13-2007, 09:52 AM
"Extended Coverage in Preparation for the Possible Upcoming ICE Storm!"

Not a drop in sight but the weathermen are practically foaming at the mouth in anticipation. Can't they at least wait for an icicle to form? lol

I realize they love this stuff but come on.. I want to see anything other than the anticipated 'ice storm' every single minute of today..

I've already heard about it all week and now it's on every news cast superseding all other programs.

I know we'll have 48 hours running straight of pics of freezing reporters on overpasses and bridges. We get it. We don't need to have a minute by minute update on the condition of every county across the state.. sigh..

I appreciate the coverage.. to a certain extent. 24 hours a day is a little overkill in my opinion.

What was interesting is that yesterday at Sam's club I saw at least 10 people buying those giant Generators.. at about $600 or more depending on the model. This was on Memorial where I doubt we will be having a problem with long periods of no electricity..
On our topic of merchant policy, a clerk there said they changed the return policy on the generators because people had been buying them, using them and returning them after the storm..

It is crazy, but when ice hits here people freak out, understandably so, but my husbands relatives from Michigan laugh at us because they get this stuff all the time and we just get it a couple times and go nuts over it.....I am glad we do not get it all the time......I was kinda sick of watching it on tv though. Bandnerd Hats off to you anyway for being a teacher, I appreciate you since I have little ones.

OUman
01-13-2007, 10:37 AM
First off-Gary England has done more than his fair share of coverage in this state and if he's not on the air he has earned it. It's not like he's leaving people out in the cold to wonder about what's going to happen or anything, and besides, he was on the air on Friday. He also has three-four people on his team who know what they're doing so it's ok.

Second, for those of you who think weather reporters put on their mad caps and come on the air for extended periods of coverage just to irritate the hell out of you, wake up. If it weren't not for their repeated instructions to stay off the road and to drive carefully you would definitely be seeing many more accidents than you usually see in such conditions.

Third, winter storms-despite all the great advances in forecast models and technology are still pretty difficult to predict, even more so than spring systems. So if you end up getting 2 feet of snow when they said 2 inches, don't be surprised, it's happened before. I'm glad to say though that in this state, it's less likely to happen than in other states.

Curt
01-13-2007, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=redredwine;81218]It is crazy, but when ice hits here people freak out, understandably so, but my husbands relatives from Michigan laugh at us because they get this stuff all the time and we just get it a couple times and go nuts over it.....QUOTE]

Living in Michigan myself I can relate...here when it snows 6 inches we still go to work or for those who have snowmobiles they head up north or go ice fishing...Here in Dearborn we have not had any snow yet this winter but I wish we would get a couple good snow storms..

Curt
01-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Ok, this is a place to gripe and give our opinions, so let's play nice and keep this thread clean.

:congrats:

Curt
01-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Weather reporters are like any other media person....they get off on bad news of any kind and blow everything out of proportion...It is what Don Henley was talking about in his song "Dirty Laundry"

BailJumper
01-13-2007, 10:53 AM
All I've got to say is "Thank God for cable."

Just once I'd like to see a weatherman go on the air and say "It's winter folks and we have some ice accumulation coming. You know what that means, plan accordingly, take it slow and stay home if you can. It may make getting out and about rough for a day or two. So, if you are down to your last roll of toilet paper you might wanna pick up some more. And while you are at the store, pick up some popcorn, a frozen pizza, maybe some soup and drop by Blockbuster and make a weekend of it. If the weather does actually get really bad, we'll be here with an update from time to time."

That's it, no need to whip out the sleet skillet, waste time showing us how to use an ice scraper, live shots at Wal Mart and how the nuts are preparing for armagedon, and non-stop weather reporting. Give me an update every thirty minutes (during commercials) and scroll anything along the bottom of the screen.

Those living in the hell (the panhandle) are used to this and will manage once again.

Keith
01-13-2007, 11:17 AM
All I've got to say is "Thank God for cable."

Just once I'd like to see a weatherman go on the air and say "It's winter folks and we have some ice accumulation coming. You know what that means, plan accordingly, take it slow and stay home if you can. It may make getting out and about rough for a day or two. So, if you are down to your last roll of toilet paper you might wanna pick up some more. And while you are at the store, pick up some popcorn, a frozen pizza, maybe some soup and drop by Blockbuster and make a weekend of it. If the weather does actually get really bad, we'll be here with an update from time to time."

That's it, no need to whip out the sleet skillet, waste time showing us how to use an ice scraper, live shots at Wal Mart and how the nuts are preparing for armagedon, and non-stop weather reporting. Give me an update every thirty minutes (during commercials) and scroll anything along the bottom of the screen.

Those living in the hell (the panhandle) are used to this and will manage once again.
Ratings.......that's what it is all about. Each TV station is trying to outdo the other. More reporters at different locations, more weathermen in the studio, and more coverage than anybody else. That's what it's all about. You have to realize that some people in Oklahoma aren't very bright, so therefore, the ongoing weather coverage is necessary. The only thing anybody missed yesterday were the soap operas.

They are interested in making sure you are safe, and by the looks of things last night as I was coming home from work, their broadcasts worked. Many, many, businesses were closed before 8 PM., and there was very little traffic on the streets.

This morning, I traveled the interstate and the city streets, and they are still very slick. I saw several vehicles spin out, but they survived. One truck tried to stop at a red light and slid into the curb. When the light turned green, I took off without a problem. When I looked in my rear view mirror this truck had spun out so bad that the front of his truck was now facing the curb.

I have one word for those type of drivers..."IDIOTS."

BTW, if you don't like to watch all the weather coverage, change channels. You do have that option.:wink:

Karried
01-13-2007, 11:18 AM
So, if you are down to your last roll of toilet paper you might wanna pick up some more.

lol... that's exactly what I would love to see as well.. I know they mean well but it just seems like too much all day long. I know it's for the safety of people, I understand that but sometimes it's just overkill.

Besides, the ones in the most danger are out on the road .. not watching the reporters on TV!

Speaking of TV...I felt horrible for this new guy at Hollywood video yesterday.. he was alone, everyone else called in sick. We went in trying to get a movie and I swear, the line was at least 20 people deep! This poor guy was sweating bullets, literally, dripping sweat.

The movies being brought in couldn't get credited to the accounts so there were piles of movies that no one could rent, everyone was trying to use coupons and the computer was broken, piles of those little red security pieces all over the place .. it was chaos. I felt so sorry for this kid!

I even offered to help him but he couldn't accept it because I couldn't come behind the counter.

So, I have to agree, thank God for Cable!

bandnerd
01-13-2007, 11:29 AM
I saw a guy leaving Wal-Mart with a cart full of TP and cases of soda.

Keith
01-13-2007, 11:38 AM
I saw a guy leaving Wal-Mart with a cart full of TP and cases of soda.
I think he is mixed up. I don't think he will need that much toilet paper if he is drinking all that soda. Now, if he had a case of prunes, or something like that, I could understand all the toilet paper. Can you say, "flush?"

StephiOKC
01-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Weather reporters are like any other media person....they get off on bad news of any kind and blow everything out of proportion...It is what Don Henley was talking about in his song "Dirty Laundry"

Curt you are right about that! Reporters do get off on bad news, but WE must take some responsibilty for this too! Look at the reaction the City of OKC had for this "storm". We went to Wal Mart bought out the stores "stocking up" on things for this "storm" shelves are bear!! Kinda makes you wonder about who is actually benefiting from this... Sad part, this is not a STORM. Chaos and panic caused in part by media but what about the common person? WE have to take responsibilty. I have lived in OKC most of my life, been thru winter, spring storms. This is nothing. I have been out on the roads, they are not bad. Everyone is acting like they have never seen winter weather.
The drivers in OKC need to learn to drive period, its a responsilbity you have, not a right to drive. Please remember that when you get out on the road.

bandnerd
01-13-2007, 12:02 PM
They were telling us the weather was going to be bad all week...I remember this time last saturday seeing it on the 7-day. How could you not be prepared?

I took inventory in my head of all the food and supplies we had when I bought some cat food (the one thing we were low on and didn't want to run out of!) and decided there was nothing more I needed. We have a fireplace, firewood, and a cast iron skillet. I have a manual can opener. Cans of pintos and boxes of corn bread, as well as milk and eggs. Tortillas and cheese, cereal, and snack bars. Tons of frozen meals (not like Lean cuisine, real homemade meals). I knew we wouldn't starve. We have so many friggin' blankets around here, and I had like a 24-roll package of TP in the trunk of my car from a previous grocery trip we haven't needed yet.

I also have 2 cats to keep me warm. And a husband. I didn't freak out. I have survived at least 5 of these things in my short life, more of them in Southern OK than up here. I know what to do, it's not rocket science, it's common sense. People don't seem to have much of that.

Ginkasa
01-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Or griping about people griping about those who are griping

Or griping about people who are in turn griping about other people griping about those who are griping ;)

Easy180
01-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Well I can't let you get the last laugh ginkasa....J/K

Not really scared of driving around on this stuff, but it falls under the category of unnecessary as it gives me a chance to sit on my a** for 3 days :tiphat:

Karried
01-13-2007, 04:18 PM
tee hee, I'm still in my 'lounge around' clothes... luvin it. Watched Night Listener.. interesting.. 2/4 Stars.. made Beef Jerky, homemade Chili and talked on the phone to friends most of the day... trying to get interested in the Illusionist and Broken Bridges..

I'm sort of liking this excuse to not have to go anywhere.. now if the power was out.. griping would take on a new meaning. I would die of boredom.

Curt
01-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Curt you are right about that! Reporters do get off on bad news, but WE must take some responsibilty for this too! Look at the reaction the City of OKC had for this "storm". We went to Wal Mart bought out the stores "stocking up" on things for this "storm" shelves are bear!! Kinda makes you wonder about who is actually benefiting from this... Sad part, this is not a STORM. Chaos and panic caused in part by media but what about the common person? WE have to take responsibilty. I have lived in OKC most of my life, been thru winter, spring storms. This is nothing. I have been out on the roads, they are not bad. Everyone is acting like they have never seen winter weather.
The drivers in OKC need to learn to drive period, its a responsilbity you have, not a right to drive. Please remember that when you get out on the road.

You are so right...People need to take responsibility for themselves and use common sense..thats all...I have lived in Michigan all my 45 years and never had any problems driving in the winter weather...but had alot of fun times playing in the snow...there were about three years when I hated winter then got over it.

BailJumper
01-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Just watch Invincible on DVD (3/5 stars from me).

We also rented Night Listener and 4 XBOX 360 games!!!!!!! So, far my wife will not share the 360 as her and the son are playing Call of Duty 3.

Karried
01-13-2007, 05:48 PM
We also rented Night Listener and 4 XBOX 360 games!!!!!!! So, far my wife will not share the 360 as her and the son are playing Call of Duty 3.

lol, that sounds like me on some days.. when I get into a game.. I don't want to play nice and share.. haven't played Call of Duty but we beat Gears of War pretty quickly.. we only played Casual but it was still fun. Hard to get used to the weapons after Halo .. I just can't wait for Halo Wars and Halo 3 .. maybe we'll all have Live one day and we can play online?

The Wii is fun but the problem with that is that after playing I can't move for three days. Tennis elbow, shoulder rotor cuff gone from golfing and Batter's Blown Bicep lol, I made that one up! Seriously, it is so physical! But amazingly accurate and so fun..

Well, tomorrow is supposed to get icy and snowy again so I think we all have the right idea.. stay inside, warm and cozy..

Keith
01-14-2007, 04:31 PM
lol, that sounds like me on some days.. when I get into a game.. I don't want to play nice and share.. haven't played Call of Duty but we beat Gears of War pretty quickly.. we only played Casual but it was still fun. Hard to get used to the weapons after Halo .. I just can't wait for Halo Wars and Halo 3 .. maybe we'll all have Live one day and we can play online?

The Wii is fun but the problem with that is that after playing I can't move for three days. Tennis elbow, shoulder rotor cuff gone from golfing and Batter's Blown Bicep lol, I made that one up! Seriously, it is so physical! But amazingly accurate and so fun..

Well, tomorrow is supposed to get icy and snowy again so I think we all have the right idea.. stay inside, warm and cozy..
Today, my entire family stayed inside and relaxed. Since our church services were cancelled, we spent some time together as a family. We ate lunch together and watched some movies. I haven't even been outside today.

Yesterday, I did a ride-along with the firefighters of fire station #19. The station is located around SW.44 & Western. For 8-1/2 hours I rode with them on every emergency call they received. We were dispatched out on emergencies 6 times. I was amazed that there weren't that many accidents. We mainly responded on sick calls.

I had a blast, and I have written about my experience on my blog. Check it out. keith42's Xanga Site (http://www.xanga.com/keith42)

drumsncode
01-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Ya gotta read Mark Shannon's web page before it goes away. Mark never holds back! It's about the weather coverage.

MarkShannon.com Front Page (http://www.markshannon.com/)

drumsncode
01-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Saturday morning...I flip on my TV and see Ed Murray and Robin Marsh anchoring the Saturday newscast! But wait, there's more! Gary England is already in, and Alex Cameron has been sent out in the field. This is shaping up to be the greatest ratings-war I've seen in all my years. KWTV must have been listening to some of KOCO's commercials over the past week, and they're not going to get "thumped" again by using only their weekend and fill-in staff.

But mark my words, the most important thing to the stations is that they will be making their new commercials bragging on their coverage within hours of this first wave. They did it last week, they'll do it again.

We'll see if KWTV is willing to make the ultimate move over the weekend, bringing in Kelly, Amy, and Amanda. It would be ridiculous to do that, but after last week, it wouldn't surprise me.

Karried
01-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Yeah, but they are getting carried away.. Rick said it would YESTERDAY around 3:00pm and it is now 8:00am TODAY and unless I'm blind, I don't see a snow flake in sight! ha, ha.. win some, lose some Rick.

Yeah, Rick said it would, and he was only 18 hours off!

tee hee, just picking on him.. I know he has a hard job but the ratings wars and constant coverage drive me insane.

drumsncode
01-20-2007, 07:12 AM
It's getting pretty sad when the weekday staff is having to work weekends just because of snow. That alone proves it's all about ratings. It's not just enough to inform us, it has to be the best presentation they can give us.

All this could be accomplished with a crawl on the bottom of the screen, but then where would the drama and ratings be in that! ;-)

Your comment about Rick made me think of something funny I saw on FOX a couple of nights ago. Andrew Speno was gouging Scott Padgett, and when Scott tossed it back to Andrew, Andrew did the "fake cough" routine and barked "Guesswork...guesswork". It was hilarious. Those guys have really loosened up on that show. Believe me, you will never see Kelly Ogle do that to Gary! If Rick missed this call, he is probably gracious enough to admit it on air. That's what I like about KOCO so much, a lack of arrogance.

Keith
01-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Ratings.....that's what it is all about. When I got up at 6 am this morning, I was not surprised to see the continuous weather coverage on channel 9. You know it's a ratings thing when the high paid weekday anchors are on the air, along with the chief meterologist.

I left at about 7 this morning and went and bought groceries. After that, I went to the credit union. No problems at all on the main streets. Just a little bit of sleet.....and no snow. Surprise, surprise, surprise.

Channel 9 has gone back to regular programming, however, channel 5 is now on their continuous weather coverage.

Curt
01-20-2007, 09:17 AM
I was at a resturaunt in Northern Michigan by my folks house one time and they had this rock outside called the weather rock and it kinda went like this...If the rock is wet it is raining, if it is dry it is not raining, and so on...cant get any more accurate than that.

Keith
01-20-2007, 12:32 PM
I was at a resturaunt in Northern Michigan by my folks house one time and they had this rock outside called the weather rock and it kinda went like this...If the rock is wet it is raining, if it is dry it is not raining, and so on...cant get any more accurate than that.
You got that right. This is comical......it's 1:30 PM., and still no snow in Oklahoma City....just a cold rain.

Here's a surprise.......................................... .

Wintry mix in metro lighter than predicted

By John David Sutter
The Oklahoman

Rain, sleet and light snow are falling on parts of the metro area this morning.

But the precipitation is much lighter than expected. Parts of the metro area may not see any snow. Others may get a few inches of a wintry mix of snow and sleet, according to the National Weather Service.

Forecasters on Friday prediced as much as 10 inches of snow for much of the state. Eight inches of snow could still fall on northwestern Oklahoma, but the weather service this morning is downgrading southern Oklahoma from a winter storm warning to a winter storm watch.

Temperatures in Oklahoma City are hovering around freezing. Wayne Ruff, a meteorologist at the weather service in Norman, said it's not expected to get colder today. If anything, temperatures may go up.

North Oklahoma City and Guthrie are expected to see snow and sleet, up to 4 or maybe 6 inches, he said.

South Oklahoma City and Norman likely will see a couple of inches of rain and sleet.

The reason the forecast changed, Ruff said, is that a mass of warm air about 10,000 feet above the ground pushed further north across the state than was expected. That warm, moist air acts as a "snow spoiler," he said.
"There is snow falling above that (layer of air), but when it falls though that layer it's just melting into rain," he said.

davido
01-20-2007, 01:10 PM
The best thing to keep up to date on the weather and traffic is, a Police scanner, It will keep you informed of everything, for around 150.00 +-. go to radio shack and get one, they are great for info, especially in tornado season.

OKC police and fire are online live here.
WWW.OKCSCANNER.COM (http://www.okcscanner.com/)

mranderson
01-20-2007, 02:41 PM
If my brother was still alive, I would have ribbed him big time. He always talked about how the weather would effect us. He would have told me well in advance that this "storm" would be massive. The rare time he would be incorrect.

Maybe someone in heaven is ribbing him for me.

OUman
01-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Just goes to show the difficulties involved with predicting what winter systems will do. To me at least, it's not a ratings game and I appreciate it. Some on-air meteorologists though I doubt have any sense of reality and most likely balloon the numbers or put them too low when they know that forecast models aren't too accurate that far out.