View Full Version : 7 Great Wonders of OKC

Patrick
01-12-2007, 03:26 AM
In this thread we list the 7 Great Wonders of OKC!

oldglory
01-12-2007, 04:20 AM
the roads....lol

MadMonk
01-12-2007, 08:36 AM
I don't know if it's a "wonder", but The National Memorial is a big attraction.

Pete
01-12-2007, 08:57 AM
1. OKC Zoo
2. National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum
3. Lake Hefner Recreation Area
4. Myriad Gardens
5. Bricktown
6. Health Sciences Center
7. Oklahoma River

jbrown84
01-12-2007, 09:03 AM
No OKCMOA???

floater
01-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Tough to list only seven:

1) Lake Hefner sunset
2) National Memorial chairs at night
3) Chesapeake Boathouse at night
4) OKC's Chihuly glass collection
5) Traffic
6) Bricktown
7) First National Center

AFCM
01-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Even though it happens only once a year, lighting up the downtown scyscrapers to form crosses during the holidays is a wonder of OKC. I don't think any other city does this.

okcpulse
01-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Another wonder of OKC is the antenna farm on the northeast side of town lit up at night. It's a huge cluster of TV masts and EVERY out-of-towner I've known points it out, full of wonder.

jbrown84
01-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Well, the Seven Wonders of the World are all architectural, so I'll say:

First National Center
The Oklahoma City Museum of Art
The Skirvin Hilton
The Crystal Bridge
Oklahoma City National Memorial
Stage Center
Civic Center Music Hall

possible future take-overs: The Native American Cultural Center, the Land Run Monument

runners up: the Space Needle, the Gold Dome, End of the Trail, Chesapeake Boathouse

Curt
01-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Another wonder of OKC is the antenna farm on the northeast side of town lit up at night. It's a huge cluster of TV masts and EVERY out-of-towner I've known points it out, full of wonder.

I did notice that when I was there a few weeks ago...up here we just grow lots of Pine Trees:tiphat:

shane453
01-12-2007, 08:49 PM
The antenna farm is a good one! It's actually beautiful at night time driving by... You can see it from all around the metro... I've never seen anything comparable to that in terms of density of really tall antennas. It looks cool.

Kerry
01-12-2007, 09:56 PM
1. Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center (largest building in the World when built)
2. First National Center
3. New WRWA
4. Interstate System
5. Remington Park (still a state-of-the-art grandstand).

venture
01-12-2007, 10:32 PM
So if we are talking a Wonder...it typically means something unique that catches an outsiders eye. Also something to stick with the man made structure theme as well...

1) Antenna Farm
2) Crystal Bridge
3) City of Lights (a bit of a stretch, but drive down Hwy 9 between the Spur and I-35 one night...you'll know what I mean)
4) National Memorial

and these are stretches...

5) Bricktown Canal
6) Area man-made lakes
7) Asian District...(in OKC of all places is the biggest reason I put this here)

Honorable mention...
- One of the best laid out highway systems in the national, now just need to get an eastern loop from Norman to Edmond.

ETL
01-12-2007, 11:08 PM
1. Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center (largest building in the World when built)
2. First National Center
3. New WRWA
4. Interstate System
5. Remington Park (still a state-of-the-art grandstand).

What is the info on #1? What is this?

Kerry
01-13-2007, 07:41 AM
The Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center is the heart of Tinker AFB. Take a drive down Douglas BLVD and you can't miss it. The building is 7/10 of a mile long. Do a search for "Oklahoma City Air Logisitcs Center" and you will find more info than you can read. You can also it on Google Earth. It will be the building with the roof that covers about 150 acres.

floater
01-13-2007, 07:54 AM
3) City of Lights (a bit of a stretch, but drive down Hwy 9 between the Spur and I-35 one night...you'll know what I mean)

7) Asian District...(in OKC of all places is the biggest reason I put this here)

What's number 3? Is it in Norman?

Yeah, the Asian district is a wonder in this landlocked frontier plains city.

These are great, guys.

drumsncode
01-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Will Rogers Park when the roses are in bloom.
Go to Coit's and grab a burger, take it to the park, kick back and enjoy a very stress-free lunch hour. There's something very special about sitting near a 70 year old cypress tree. Kinda puts things into perspective.

venture
01-13-2007, 10:31 AM
What's number 3? Is it in Norman?

Yeah, the Asian district is a wonder in this landlocked frontier plains city.

These are great, guys.

Actually not Norman, but OKC itself. When driving down Hwy 9 on that stretch after dark...on a good night...all you see are lights for miles and miles. It is times like that when you actually get a grasp on just how big the city is.

Keith
01-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Even though it happens only once a year, lighting up the downtown scyscrapers to form crosses during the holidays is a wonder of OKC. I don't think any other city does this.
I agree. If there is another city that does this, I sure don't know where it is.

Curt
01-13-2007, 04:47 PM

I saw that when I was down for New Years and was very impressed with it.:congrats:

Patrick
01-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I saw that when I was down for New Years and was very impressed with it.:congrats:

I only hope the new owners of KerrMcGee tower continue the tradition.